Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hate most of the current superhero movies for their "turn off your brain, watch this flight scene and this big ol' blue laser"-ness. Logan was an exception because it wasn't trying to appeal to the widest audience possible and had some really wonderful, terrible ideas behind it. It didn't have to skirt upsetting things because it was concerned with the numbers showing audiences don't like to feel sadness. Which is an actual thing executives concern themselves with.

Fun movies can be thoughtful. They don't all have to be explosions and constant one-liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"Explosions and one-liners" is thoughtful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

now all you need to do is not post

Scrub tier burn greenhorn.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You can't judge your own burn; you're not a disinterested party.

I think it was a mediocre burn, neither scrub nor fire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

You can't judge your own burn; you're not a disinterested party.

I think it was a mediocre burn, neither scrub nor fire.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Movies that are just mindless violence and stuff can actually be really good if its done right with the action stuff. Dredd, Hard Boiled, John Wick. Awesome movies because you get from A to B pretty well, with a lot of great action, some fun effects, and interesting characters.

The problem is when they try hard it. The Furious series, Suicide Squad, Transformers, etc. These movies are bad because instead of being mindless well done action, its just "look how bad rear end we are, did you notice how awesome that was, WHOA LOOK AT THAT EXPLOSION, AWESOME SEE SEE SEE?!". Nah.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

John Wick will age like fine wine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best mindless action movie of the 1990s was Face/Off.

(Note: there are other action movies from the 1990s which are better than Face/Off but they are generally not mindless.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The best action movie of all time is Tango & Cash.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate The Raid and The Raid 2. Few good action scenes but then it gets boring and the violence borders on disgusting. It's not fun whatsoever after the initial shock.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate The Raid and The Raid 2. Few good action scenes but then it gets boring and the violence borders on disgusting. It's not fun whatsoever after the initial shock.

The Raid 2 is a revolting movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also supposed to be an entertaining scene in a big budget hollywood movie. The foot chases in the first Matrix were way more exciting and dynamic and those also took place in a simulation.

The foot chases in the first one are standard movie chase fare; get to the payphone before the bad men catch you. I imagine the Mad Max scenes mentioned itt are of the same nature I haven't seen it. The drama and tension comes from progress being made (or not) and seeing repeated background elements shatters that illusion and would be bad, lazy directing/editing. For shame.

But that's not really what the freeway scene in Reloaded is. It's closer to the final fight in The Raid. Morpheus and Trinity are stuck in a room with the bad men, only the room is several miles of road. They're not trying to get anywhere, they're just trying to survive until Superman returns. Can they? Will Superman make it in time?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

Movies that are just mindless violence and stuff can actually be really good if its done right with the action stuff. Dredd, Hard Boiled, John Wick. Awesome movies because you get from A to B pretty well, with a lot of great action, some fun effects, and interesting characters.

The problem is when they try hard it. The Furious series, Suicide Squad, Transformers, etc. These movies are bad because instead of being mindless well done action, its just "look how bad rear end we are, did you notice how awesome that was, WHOA LOOK AT THAT EXPLOSION, AWESOME SEE SEE SEE?!". Nah.

I was with you until you insulted the fast & furious movies. The first one and the ones with the rock in them own.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I was with you until you insulted the fast & furious movies. The first one and the ones with the rock in them own.

The 1st one was alright. It was new and unique and had a nice close on it.

The rest were just cash grabs and I stopped watching after 3. Everything I've seen about them and the snippets I've caught make it look just stupid and too try hard.

ALso I said it before in this thread, The Rock is a great guy and actor, but he is no where near to the level of Schwarzeneggar or Stallone. He needs to be in a really unique IP with really memorable roles to do that, otherwise he's just Tough Guy #10392.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fast Five is genuinely a fun action movie. It goes way over the top after Five and the movies before it all suck. Just watch Fast Five. It's when they stopped pretending to care about street racing culture. It's just an action heist movie that happens to have cars in it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the Raid allright (never saw 2) but after watching and loving Dredd first, it was hard to really to really take it seriously :tinfoil: Although given your reasons for hating the Raid you probably don't like Dredd either.

One movie that sort of just disgusted me like that recently was The Belko Experiment.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the rock does best in movies where its over the top action or in family/comedy roles. I don't think he is well suited for a more standard taking itself seriously action movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Karl Urban one was great. I never felt like the movie was completely glorifying the Judges and saying they are badasses making a positive difference.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

The 1st one was alright. It was new and unique and had a nice close on it.

The rest were just cash grabs and I stopped watching after 3. Everything I've seen about them and the snippets I've caught make it look just stupid and too try hard.

ALso I said it before in this thread, The Rock is a great guy and actor, but he is no where near to the level of Schwarzeneggar or Stallone. He needs to be in a really unique IP with really memorable roles to do that, otherwise he's just Tough Guy #10392.

The furious movies are only try-hard in that they pay for tons of stunts and explosions but are otherwise fun as hell and seemingly get better the more they get away from the dumb boy racer poo poo they started as so I have no idea what you’re claiming, and I guess neither do you since you haven’t seen them

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

The furious movies are only try-hard in that they pay for tons of stunts and explosions but are otherwise fun as hell and seemingly get better the more they get away from the dumb boy racer poo poo they started as so I have no idea what you’re claiming, and I guess neither do you since you haven’t seen them

Yeah at least watch 5. 2 and 3 were terrible (I know a lot of goons love tokyo drift but sorry it's awful) so it's understandable you stopped but the fifth one is pretty much the best one so you're missing out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the bit in the Raid where the main guy fights about a hundred other guys in a toilet stall. The fight scenes in those movies are good but I couldn't tell you the first thing about the movie going on around them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Was Fast Five the one where they fight a plane taking off over the course of about 28 miles?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That was six and it only had a few good moments

Fast Five is all about a bank heist in Brazil. There are no planes or submarines or anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, the set pieces are how I identify films like that. Couldn't name a single character but can still tell you how many people are punched out of the escape plan. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You didn't go in for the emotional farewell to that one actor who died of irony?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

How can you be mad about me me watching 5 after every movie surrounding it was garbage. Or are you arguing the later ones are actually better than the non sports car jumping over a continent first ones?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

How can you be mad about me me watching 5 after every movie surrounding it was garbage. Or are you arguing the later ones are actually better than the non sports car jumping over a continent first ones?

That's exactly what I was saying. They are, by a lot, especially compared to 2 and 3.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

They basically stop taking themselves seriously at all and just turn into huge global conspiracy stunt shows that are actually fun

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Good action movies are structured very similarly to musicals. The actual story gets pushed forward through the choreographed dance number/choreographed fight scene. A bad action movie does action for no rhyme or reason.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
John Woo doesn't know poo poo about making a good action movie.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Good action movies are structured very similarly to musicals. The actual story gets pushed forward through the choreographed dance number/choreographed fight scene. A bad action movie does action for no rhyme or reason.

That actually makes a lot of sense; I never looked at it that way.

Chalk me up for not liking superhero movies. I totally understand that they, like most movies, require some degree of suspension of disbelief. However, there is absolutely no suspense for me. The hero is encased in nuclear reactor thick levels of plot armor. So is the villain. I know that the 45 minute fight scene will have absolutely no consequences, and will do nothing even to advance the story. Spider-man isn't going to die or have some experience that changes him, and The Joker will be out of Arkham be next week. The worst offender for this was Captain America: Winter Soldier. The most memorable thing about that movie for me was having a glimpse of a parallel universe in which everyone drove a Chevy.

As for my personally held unpopular opinion: maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but I actually enjoy watching CFL football more than NFL football. One less down, one more player and a bigger field make the plays bigger and more wide open; no fair catch rule makes the returns more exciting.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of superhero movies and the like, I think it's funny how often people on the internet cry about "that media is for children, op :smug:" while being the same people who go balls out for a Halloween costume.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sunshine89 posted:

Chalk me up for not liking superhero movies. I totally understand that they, like most movies, require some degree of suspension of disbelief. However, there is absolutely no suspense for me. The hero is encased in nuclear reactor thick levels of plot armor. So is the villain. I know that the 45 minute fight scene will have absolutely no consequences, and will do nothing even to advance the story. Spider-man isn't going to die or have some experience that changes him, and The Joker will be out of Arkham be next week.
Actually good super hero stories aren't like that. In fact, I don't think "super hero" is a useful categorisation because you can tell any kind of story with super heroes.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't really get the criticism in that, you get exactly what you expect. Like, some viewer discretion is advised in actually going to a movie that you can reasonably expect to enjoy, and I'm sorta imagining people watching a super-hero trailer and then donning their opera cloak and top hat. The genre has pitfalls, but being disappointed with the social commentary in Batman or a lack of emotional resonance with The Incredible Hulk seems as off-base an expectation to be let down by as being annoyed by the choreography of the dance-scenes in The act of Killing.

Local elections are starting here, and my current hot take is that, despite being vandalism; defacing and tearing down election posters that are hanged in public spaces is a legitimate means of expression.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

John Woo doesn't know poo poo about making a good action movie.

Someone's never watched Hard Target.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
I kinda don't like most current comedy shows. They try too hard to have "charming" characters & character-driven drama in the middle of the humor, or they try too hard to be edgy. Also a lot of what the writers think is supposed to be funny isn't always funny, sometimes it's actually really tedious. Maybe I'm just saying that because I don't really relate to a lot of the scenarios or to the writers anymore.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
I wish I were more into movies but I'm not. I guess this is less a matter of opinion than one of personal temperament, i.e. not having the attention span for a lot of movies, especially if they seem to be recycling a lot of familiar tropes, which comes at a cost because there could be a lot of good movies out there that still use a lot of commonly used/tired tropes that I'm missing out on. It also makes it harder to engage in water cooler talk (and sometimes if you can't do that in your work place it comes at a social cost as well, if your coworkers are a bunch of self-important movie nerds).

I also believe that having the right format for watching movies is important, because it's easier to appreciate some movies in a theater or on a television as opposed to, say, your laptop.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
One last one:

I've never found violence in video games to be inherently appealing. I don't want to sound like an old lady talking about "violent video games" but like especially as you get older that kind of thing becomes less appealing. Especially in video games where it seems unrealistic and awkward.

A lot of video games rely too heavily on well-established tropes, to the point where sometimes it's hard to tell them apart from sight. In general a lack of novelty and accessibility in modern games is going to make the audience for them shrink as time goes on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never been able to quite decipher how much of internet nerd's love for the fast and Furious movies is ironic. it feels like those dudes who ironically liked Trump and then eventually non ironically liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nijinsky Hind posted:

I've never found violence in video games to be inherently appealing. I don't want to sound like an old lady talking about "violent video games" but like especially as you get older that kind of thing becomes less appealing. Especially in video games where it seems unrealistic and awkward.

A lot of video games rely too heavily on well-established tropes, to the point where sometimes it's hard to tell them apart from sight. In general a lack of novelty and accessibility in modern games is going to make the audience for them shrink as time goes on.
Stories require conflict and "these guys are trying to kill you so you have to kill them first" is a pretty simple and easily understood form of conflict that can be converted into game mechanics in pretty obvious ways. But if you think video games have become more homogeneous and less accessible, I don't think you've been paying attention.