Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hello thread! Here's some color studies from a few days ago:

Mostly trying to work with an (almost) monochrome palette, and practicing interesting compositions, which I'm always having trouble with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I prefer the second one, too. The highlights add so much to the form.

Someone requested I draw Fiora the Grand Duelist from league of legends, which I don't play and know nothing about, and the reference pic they showed was a torso contortion nightmare.
I wanted to draw her actually looking powerful.

this is good but IMO you should have given her 2 or 3 more legs to stomp more nuts.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Finished school project:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'll give it a day to see if there's anything I missed or want to change, but I think I'm mostly done with this thing.

The Adventure Zone just started a brand new arc so I thought it would be good to do fanart of a chapter that aired over two years ago.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

I really like how you draw the attention to the senses with the lighting! Hearing's my fave, the eyes get first drawn to the "no fricking way" face and then backtrack to the ear burning.

I can't remember if I said this the first time way back when, but I love the colour scheme, it's like ice-cream for the eyes :3:

a hole-y ghost posted:

this is good but IMO you should have given her 2 or 3 more legs to stomp more nuts.

Never let it be said that I wasn't willing to improve my art

You'll note that I added in one woman so it's not misandrist, you guys. :smug:

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 22, 2017

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I really like how you draw the attention to the senses with the lighting! Hearing's my fave, the eyes get first drawn to the "no fricking way" face and then backtrack to the ear burning.

I can't remember if I said this the first time way back when, but I love the colour scheme, it's like ice-cream for the eyes :3:

Never let it be said that I wasn't willing to improve my art

You'll note that I added in one woman so it's not misandrist, you guys. :smug:
:golfclap:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Here's a Splatoon sketch I did today:

On a side note: anyone got advice on how to feel more confident in ones work? I've been drawing for close to a decade now and I still hardly ever feel satisfied or happy about anything I produce, to the point where I often don't know why I even keep going. I'd like to be more productive and put out more art, but the almost instantaneous self-bashing makes it pretty difficult.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Learn better anatomy. Go regularly to figure drawing sessions, or just get your friends to pose for you. Feel good about getting better with some kind of daily progress towards realism. Remember that "style" is just a byproduct of hard work / consistent practice. Most people are rarely very happy with their work on the first pass. "Stay thirsty, my friend!"

Life drawing.

Inktober 19 is "Blind and Dirty"

I am a little behind. :(

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 22, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Shinmera posted:

On a side note: anyone got advice on how to feel more confident in ones work? I've been drawing for close to a decade now and I still hardly ever feel satisfied or happy about anything I produce, to the point where I often don't know why I even keep going. I'd like to be more productive and put out more art, but the almost instantaneous self-bashing makes it pretty difficult.

Being a good artist is difficult in that it requires you to constantly be your own worst critic, but also to ignore that and share your artwork anyway. For me, I found a good balance is to set specific criteria that allow me to call a piece finished, and to pick 1 aspect that I need to improve on to really focus on in that drawing (the last year, it have been incorporating better backgrounds into my images, and improving my color schemes). Then, when a drawing is as done as it is going to get, share it online at all your art places, and wait a day or so to look at it again and see it with fresher eyes. You can find errors you missed, but for me I often find that there are a lot of things in each drawing that I really like, that I hadn't noticed before.

I have no real new drawings, so have a card for a game + a progress gif for that last drawing.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
At least personally I've never felt outside motivation to create; but as mentioned above, you can bolster your definitive skill set and thus confidence by taking classes with set learning goals, and doing other activities that have a clear path from start to an improved state.

Learning how to realistically critique your own work is also helpful-being in classes that require critiques can teach you this.

One of the most helpful things I ever figured out what how to determine when one of my pieces is "finished". It kept me from never doing anything with my work, which would have been fine if I hadn't vaguely wanted a career based on my creative skill set.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some pose practise sketches for today.

sigma 6 posted:

Learn better anatomy. Go regularly to figure drawing sessions, or just get your friends to pose for you. Feel good about getting better with some kind of daily progress towards realism. Remember that "style" is just a byproduct of hard work / consistent practice. Most people are rarely very happy with their work on the first pass. "Stay thirsty, my friend!"

I've done my fair share of anatomy practising, but I've never had the necessary courage to actually sign up for figure drawing sessions. I guess I should really look into that some time.

gmc9987 posted:

Being a good artist is difficult in that it requires you to constantly be your own worst critic, but also to ignore that and share your artwork anyway. For me, I found a good balance is to set specific criteria that allow me to call a piece finished, and to pick 1 aspect that I need to improve on to really focus on in that drawing (the last year, it have been incorporating better backgrounds into my images, and improving my color schemes). Then, when a drawing is as done as it is going to get, share it online at all your art places, and wait a day or so to look at it again and see it with fresher eyes. You can find errors you missed, but for me I often find that there are a lot of things in each drawing that I really like, that I hadn't noticed before.

I generally don't have a problem publishing the things I do, unless it never reaches my hard drive to begin with. I guess one of my major problems is that with the current style I'm trying to evolve, I don't really know in which way to push to get it to look more like something I'd like. Some things look better than others, but I can never really grasp why.

I know that "likes" and such aren't much of a metric for anything and I shouldn't really go by what others say for my own style anyway, but the fact that how much other people seem to like the things I do is somehow often inversely correlated to how much I like it confuses the issue even more.

Theokotos posted:

At least personally I've never felt outside motivation to create; but as mentioned above, you can bolster your definitive skill set and thus confidence by taking classes with set learning goals, and doing other activities that have a clear path from start to an improved state.

Learning how to realistically critique your own work is also helpful-being in classes that require critiques can teach you this.

One of the most helpful things I ever figured out what how to determine when one of my pieces is "finished". It kept me from never doing anything with my work, which would have been fine if I hadn't vaguely wanted a career based on my creative skill set.

I have a lot of different creative interests that I pursue, so it's usually not a decision between not creating anything and drawing, but rather between which of the things I want to work on I should invest my time in. For drawing it's often just the case that the expectation of not ending up liking what I did makes it harder to justify doing it over the other things. Obviously not drawing isn't going to make me improve or like my things any better either, though.

Going back to just practising specific things for a while sounds like it might be a good idea though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shinmera posted:

I've done my fair share of anatomy practising, but I've never had the necessary courage to actually sign up for figure drawing sessions. I guess I should really look into that some time.

Where I live there are multiple figure study groups that advertise on the Meetup app/site. Cost is around $15 a session. I would be shocked if there wasn't something similar in every medium to large city.

The one I attend was started by some local photographers, so they hire print-style models instead of the traditional figure models. At first I thought it was pretty cool getting beautiful women to pose, but hard skinny bodies are more difficult to draw and I keep hoping they'll bring in a chubby hairy lady like we used to have in art class. You know, mix it up some.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Shinmera posted:

I have a lot of different creative interests that I pursue, so it's usually not a decision between not creating anything and drawing, but rather between which of the things I want to work on I should invest my time in. For drawing it's often just the case that the expectation of not ending up liking what I did makes it harder to justify doing it over the other things.

I'm gonna assume that this isn't just a slump after a pic that you feel didn't succeed? Because it's real easy to get down on yourself after one and feel that nothing that you've EVER done is good, even if the twinkling knowledge in your hindbrain is holding up a sign "you know that's not true". Why do you feel like you should put out more art, if you've got other creative pursuits that (presumably) don't leave you quite so disappointed? Do you bash your own efforts in other creative things or other aspects of your life? It just seems like you're trying to find a reason to keep doing something you're not enjoying.

Even if you don't feel good about your completed work, do you find any joy in the making? Is there any satisfaction in getting a line just so, or putting down the perfect color? Do you feel the need to create, or to specifically draw?

Shinmera posted:

I know that "likes" and such aren't much of a metric for anything and I shouldn't really go by what others say for my own style anyway, but the fact that how much other people seem to like the things I do is somehow often inversely correlated to how much I like it confuses the issue even more.

Any pictures you make with popular themes will always be more liked than whatever obscure niche thing you're REALLY into, and if you make pictures solely to please others and get likes, they will never look as good in your eyes as the stuff you draw from the heart. I tend to do poo poo work when I'm not interested in the subject.
Also gently caress likes in general, don't base your decisions on what to do on what some blorps on the internet think is cool.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 21 is Frankenstein Drinking Tea

This is actually a reworking of a previous inktober but with a different ink wash background.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i did some proper life drawing for the first time!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Davedave24 posted:

A local art collective is doing a bird themed show next month, I submitted my parrot from earlier and this

this is sick!!!

folder
Oct 9, 2016
life drawing for the first time in ages!!

pen

conte

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Trying to get back into the swing of daily drawings, here's a dress sketch.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm gonna assume that this isn't just a slump after a pic that you feel didn't succeed? Because it's real easy to get down on yourself after one and feel that nothing that you've EVER done is good, even if the twinkling knowledge in your hindbrain is holding up a sign "you know that's not true". Why do you feel like you should put out more art, if you've got other creative pursuits that (presumably) don't leave you quite so disappointed? Do you bash your own efforts in other creative things or other aspects of your life? It just seems like you're trying to find a reason to keep doing something you're not enjoying.

Even if you don't feel good about your completed work, do you find any joy in the making? Is there any satisfaction in getting a line just so, or putting down the perfect color? Do you feel the need to create, or to specifically draw?

Any pictures you make with popular themes will always be more liked than whatever obscure niche thing you're REALLY into, and if you make pictures solely to please others and get likes, they will never look as good in your eyes as the stuff you draw from the heart. I tend to do poo poo work when I'm not interested in the subject.
Also gently caress likes in general, don't base your decisions on what to do on what some blorps on the internet think is cool.

I've been dissatisfied for many years now, but it only really became a problem when it started to hinder my throughput sometime around a year ago. I don't know exactly why I feel the need to draw. I've asked myself that plenty before and haven't been able to come to any conclusive answer. The best I can muster is that I like seeing certain art others put out and I'd like to be able to do something that I like on my own too. I do seem to bash the rest of the things I do as well, but nowhere to the degree of what I do with drawing. My explanation for that is that it's much more immediate and easy to see faults in a drawing and compare it to other works than it is for other media.

Drawing as a process can be calming and fulfilling in a way sometimes, but very often it's also just very infuriating and discouraging because I can't seem to get things done right. I've tried to stop with drawing altogether multiple times, but was never able to really let it go for long. I guess the need to draw is there, but I can't put any solid reason as to why.

Yeah, I know that basing things off of popularity is by no means a good way to get any sort of feedback at all. The only reason I brought it up is because it is all too easy to get mislead by it and increase frustration, especially when it seems to "contradict" my own judgement.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive had very little free time at home lately so i've taken to mspaint doodles at work

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ok, a dissatisfaction that comes from within you can be fixed. I want you to tell me one thing you think you did well with this pic, and one that you'd like to improve on.

I shouldn't need to tell you that if you compare yourself to artists that work in a different style, or ones that have gone to art classes and dedicated their lives for their art, or ones that have worked at it for several decades, you're only gonna disappoint yourself forever and ever. There's always gonna be someone better. Personally, I really like looking at poo poo art to boost my self-confidence. Did you know there's artists who have worked for several decades, but they've not improved at all? It's true! If looking at any office-related comic doesn't help, I highly recommend going to DeviantArt frontpage and just wallowing in the newest posted art.
It's not just good for your self-esteem, trying to identify why a picture doesn't work at all can help you see why some things work in your pics, and some don't.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i would argue that the guy who draws penny arcade has actually gotten worse over the decades

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 22 - Do you even lacrosse, bro?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Morning sketch.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ok, a dissatisfaction that comes from within you can be fixed. I want you to tell me one thing you think you did well with this pic, and one that you'd like to improve on.

I shouldn't need to tell you that if you compare yourself to artists that work in a different style, or ones that have gone to art classes and dedicated their lives for their art, or ones that have worked at it for several decades, you're only gonna disappoint yourself forever and ever. There's always gonna be someone better. Personally, I really like looking at poo poo art to boost my self-confidence. Did you know there's artists who have worked for several decades, but they've not improved at all? It's true! If looking at any office-related comic doesn't help, I highly recommend going to DeviantArt frontpage and just wallowing in the newest posted art.
It's not just good for your self-esteem, trying to identify why a picture doesn't work at all can help you see why some things work in your pics, and some don't.

There's a couple of things to improve that jump out at me immediately, but I suppose the biggest is that I still have a lot of trouble drawing feet and shoes. As for what I did well, I'm not too sure. I guess I have a somewhat solid grasp on how I want to shape things in terms of curving and edges.

Of course. I guess I just fall into the pit of "I'm never gonna get there" way too easily, which is something I'm aware of, but not sure how to combat against. Looking at bad art doesn't seem to do much for me, unfortunately. I've trawled through dA, Tumblr, Pixiv, and Twitter and encountered a ton of crap and have critiqued some of it as well, but it doesn't seem to help me boost my own confidence. And yeah, especially people who do long-standing webcomic things tend to either stagnate pretty quickly, or even deteriorate. It's kind of astounding. I suppose they just don't feel the need to improve anymore?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Had a bad night, but that's how it is sometimes...

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Shinmera posted:

There's a couple of things to improve that jump out at me immediately, but I suppose the biggest is that I still have a lot of trouble drawing feet and shoes. As for what I did well, I'm not too sure. I guess I have a somewhat solid grasp on how I want to shape things in terms of curving and edges.

Of course. I guess I just fall into the pit of "I'm never gonna get there" way too easily, which is something I'm aware of, but not sure how to combat against.

Great! Backhanded positive, but it's a start. Now you gotta keep doing that for every pic you make. Grab your brain by the legs and shake those compliments out of its pockets and onto the canvas, every time. Force yourself to face the good in your work, you can't trust others to do it for you. Even if the good you see is "potential to be better someday", acknowledging it will help you be happy with what you can do now.
Expect grumbling from The Brain. Keep telling it to gently caress of and it'll get the point eventually.
You might also wanna look at your old work to see how far you've come.

Btw my positive on that pic is the lovely speckling on the dress. It's a cool point of interest that separates the cloth from the single-colour skin, and I think you could've added a similar feature onto the shirt.

Anyway who doesn't love bad guys with snappy suits?
Sazeron from The Orville

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 26, 2017

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Feelin pretty mediocre the last few life drawing sessions I been to

Krispy Wafer posted:

The one I attend was started by some local photographers, so they hire print-style models instead of the traditional figure models. At first I thought it was pretty cool getting beautiful women to pose, but hard skinny bodies are more difficult to draw and I keep hoping they'll bring in a chubby hairy lady like we used to have in art class. You know, mix it up some.

Interesting, i find skinny women the easiest to draw. Skinny young men the 2nd easiest. The session I used to go to was somehow related to a local university, $10 for 3 hours, and for some reason they often had ballet dancers (of both sexes) as models - those are the best if you ask me, great musculature, fantastic sense of pose and ability to hold still

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 23 "Deadite"

Inktober 24 "Don't Feed The Trolls"

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 26, 2017

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
For some reason I thought I shouldn't post these here because technically they are part of a comic and should go in the comic thread, but gently caress it, they're daily work anyway. I can just dump the finished pages there.

Pg4 panel 1

edited to add panels 2 & 3

Speech bubbles get added later when I go back and gently caress around with just about everything.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 27, 2017

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Great! Backhanded positive, but it's a start. Now you gotta keep doing that for every pic you make. Grab your brain by the legs and shake those compliments out of its pockets and onto the canvas, every time. Force yourself to face the good in your work, you can't trust others to do it for you. Even if the good you see is "potential to be better someday", acknowledging it will help you be happy with what you can do now.
Expect grumbling from The Brain. Keep telling it to gently caress of and it'll get the point eventually.
You might also wanna look at your old work to see how far you've come.

Thanks again for the advice! I'll try my best.

Did another Splatoon drawing on the Switch today. Christ is that painful. The touchscreen is inaccurate, there's only one undo, and of course no layers or anything of the sort.

I didn't have the patience to really get the line thickness and everything the way I wanted, but I think I did an OK job with the black/white limitation.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A quick scenery sketch for tonight.

I still have pretty much no drat clue how to draw any kind of water with just line art. On the upshot, I think this turned out fairly decent overall for the small amount of time I put into it. Makes me want to go back to doing daily scenery drawings like I used to.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
In honour of Everyone Loves Monsters Month, Drowner:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
It's hoodie season. Quick sketch:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Some halloween things for my Instagram.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinmera posted:

Of course. I guess I just fall into the pit of "I'm never gonna get there" way too easily, which is something I'm aware of, but not sure how to combat against.

I've kept a record, whether digital or physical, of every single drawing I have ever done since I started drawing two years and change ago. Whenever I start thinking, "There's no way I can learn how to do this," I go and pull out one of the drawings I did two years ago and compare it to something I did even two days ago. It's a very good and very real reminder that I've been able to progress immensely through hard work and dedication, and that I'm not going to suddenly plateau and be unable to learn a new technique or master drawing a specific form.

If you're seriously struggling with the confidence to put thought to paper, it's never a bad idea to go back to the absolute basics. Whenever I start struggling with things like anatomy and form, I go back and practice the simplest possible methods of construction - boxes, spheres, cylinders, etc. - and apply them to the form I'm attempting to draw. The times where I get in trouble when drawing are usually because I've succumbed to hubris and thought myself above simplifying a torso as a box or drawing some perspective lines or looking at reference. If you've been doing it for 30 years like Glenn Vilppu or Steve Huston, you can get away with not always drawing things to look like a box to begin with, but for us casual schmoes, constantly brushing up on and adhering to the basics is the best thing you can do.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

Nice

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I have returned to this Hell Site. Here are some arts:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Shinmera posted:

First, define what "there" is, and milestone if need to. This will be difficult because personal style is, well, personal, and you'll be tempted to look to other people and go "I want to be X". Resist the temptation. Learn from other people, but don't Buffalo Bill them.

If you don't know something, you have to do a deep-dive of self-reflection and analysis to figure it out.

I'd up Crayon's numbers and change it to, for every work: three good things you did and two things you want to improve. Recognizing the good you've done is important in every skill. And if you really truly honestly for real don't think you did any good (although you did, but we'll let that go for now), you need to figure out why you think that. Are you expecting more of yourself than is warranted? Are you Buffalo Billing but realizing that you're making the wrong skin suit? Are technical issues blinding conceptual successes? Are conceptual issues blinding technical successes? and so on

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Bless you, you magical unicorn of a person, and also gently caress yes loving this mask.

The finish is in the traditional thread

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Tenterhooks posted:

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009