Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also thematically it's because GL is a regular dude with a fancy piece of tech which means he's competing with Batman for that space in a movie that is partly going to be about the rise of literal superhumans over metaphorical ones

Also true, though I'm sure if Warner Bros wanted it there could have been room found for Green Lantern.

well why not posted:

No secret that one of the ulterior motives for JL is to reinvigorate excitement for the Green Lantern brand.

Yeah, I'm going to look very silly when I see it and there's a huge Green Lantern cameo, but c'est la vie. Still, there's a good reason that they aren't promoting GL's surprise turn a la Spiderman in Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, Superman here looks like John Cena for some reason.

I can't see it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Green Lantern they might be saving for a bit because he'd basically be a superhero from space who's used to weird space poo poo, while the current tone of the League is that Kryptonians came out of loving nowhere, and Lex Luthor is the only person on the planet who has an idea that there's other godlike alien invaders who've just started paying attention to what happens on Earth, and he's also crazy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don't like Cyborg on the Justice League because I consider him an integral part of Teen Titans. Then again it's not like they're going to do a Teen Titans movie without Robin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

McCloud posted:

Oh no, the horrors, the studio wanted some diversity in their cast, won't someone please think of the white people, now only 4/6ths of the JLA are white!
I have no issue with there being a person of Color on the Justice League. I have an issue with Cyborg being on the Justice League.

Equeen posted:

No, no, I totally like black people, I just think they’re interchangeable! :downs:

No I just think the one there should be changed to a different character. Cause Cyborg should not be part of the justice league.

McCloud posted:

Here's my counter to that: Who gives a poo poo why they do it, as long as they do it? I couldn't care less that the reason for networks including non-stereotypical gay characters in their shows is because of a cynical attempt to tap into the lgbt demographics, because the net effect is still that lgbt characters get a more varied representation in media, which is a big deal for us.

Thats fair but they should pick a better character to use then. It's why I brought up the even more obscure Mr Terrific. Who is a good character. is better then Cyborg and he makes sense as part of the Justice League.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can you say Cyborg shouldn't be in the league because he should be a teen Titans, but then say Mr Terrific, known only as a JSA member, should be

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Because no one actually has a compelling reason for Cyborg to not be on the JL. It's just personal preference.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MacheteZombie posted:

Because no one actually has a compelling reason for Cyborg to not be on the JL. It's just personal preference.

Yeah pretty much this. Though I do have a reason. Which is Cyborg is not interesting.

Though it's not like these complaints will change anything. He is part of the JL right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He is interesting!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just think it's really silly to hate on Cyborg.

Maybe this is the story that finally makes him interesting to you, non-believer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe, but I have my doubts.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Cyborg was a Superfriend in the 80's and that's good enough for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Again:

Cyborg is an interesting character who can be compelling and well-written and if so would be a good fit for the Justice League. The problem people have with him is that rather than giving authors who genuinely have ideas and want to write Cyborg a chance to define the character they shove him into stories where he gets underutilized because rather than having writers want to use him well, they are using him because otherwise the Justice League is white dudes and a lady.

There is nothing wrong with Cyborg being on the Justice League. There is a problem when he is put on the Justice League to be Batman's Black Friend. If the writers genuinely and honestly care about Cyborg and do a good job with him in the movie then that'll be awesome. From the promotional material though he sure seems to be the one the film is least interested in and the one who is least defined by the advertising so far. Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman are well-established (despite one being dead), the Flash is the excitable newbie, Aquaman is basically Water-Thor, Cyborg is... a guy who is there? That may just be the advertising but it is why people have a concern, because it feels like Cyborg is getting the same treatment he has for a while in the comics and being used because they want the Justice League to have a non-white member and not because they want to.

Even Superfriends made better use of Cyborg than modern stuff where he was the young member of the team and that was his niche in the story. In the new film that's not even his role, he's sharing it with The Flash at best and The Flash unfortunately is the character they really seem to be pushing hard. It's frustrating not because Cyborg is a bad character or can't be a good Justice League member but because it's tiring seeing him basically shoved in without anyone caring about him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 30, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My guess is that Cyborg is getting the least promotional attention partly because his story seems the saddest. From what we've seen, he was an athlete, his body was horribly damaged, he was given a new weird one by super-science, and now he skulks around hiding his face from the world. He will, of course, find a place that accepts him in the Justice League, but until then he doesn't fit with the "we swear, this one will be fun" thing WB is going for.

Also, nobody knows who Ray Fisher is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They could do the exact same thing with any of their minority characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm mainly down on Cyborg in Justice League because I think his design looks awful, not because he's black.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cythereal posted:

I'm mainly down on Cyborg in Justice League because I think his design looks awful, not because he's black.

Agreed. I would have preferred something more...mechanical. Eg, I dig the design of this statue (which I guess is from New 52? I don't keep up with the comic universe):

I get the whole "he's made of technology way beyond our understanding" angle, and I commend them for going with something that is probably more representative, technologically speaking, of Cyborg's abilities rather than something that does look Ironman-y, i.e., a dude in a metal suit, but the complexity and segmentation of his design screams CGI in a way that very few visual effects these days do.

I have similar objections to the Flash costume. The original look is so clean and sleek, and in the JL movie it looks more like he's geared up for a motocross race or something. At least the other costumes are solid.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 30, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I kinda agree that the current design of Cyborg is a bit too busy, but I also like the concept that his body was "grown" onto him by the motherbox.

I dig Flash's suit a whole lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my problem with Cyborg getting spotlight is that he's pretty much the least interesting black character out of DC's entire stable. which, by the way, they have an unbelievable fuckton of black heroes they could be pushing.

like, why the gently caress aren't they pushing Static or Steel or The Spectre or Firestorm or Doctor Midnight or loving Batwing? or Amazing-Man? why didn't Bronze Tiger get a spot on the Suicide Squad? where's loving Bumblebee, the first black woman superhero in DC comics? and that's just the ones that are obvious slam-dunks, the Wikipedia list of black DC superheroes seriously goes on for like several printed pages worth of length

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

my problem with Cyborg getting spotlight is that he's pretty much the least interesting black character out of DC's entire stable. which, by the way, they have an unbelievable fuckton of black heroes they could be pushing.

like, why the gently caress aren't they pushing Static or Steel or The Spectre or Firestorm or Doctor Midnight or loving Batwing? or Amazing-Man? why didn't Bronze Tiger get a spot on the Suicide Squad? where's loving Bumblebee, the first black woman superhero in DC comics? and that's just the ones that are obvious slam-dunks, the Wikipedia list of black DC superheroes seriously goes on for like several printed pages worth of length

Cyborg is the superhero who has name recognition value and history while also being his own self-defined character and having no other versions. The Specter and Firestorm suffer from the latter, Steel and Batwing from the former. Amazing-Man and Bumblebee are characters who even DC comic fans would have trouble naming. I think Static is probably the best of that lineup and there are some issues going on with rights and so-on which seems like they make them shy away from him. He's also a pretty distinctive character, being a heavily tech-oriented superhero in a setting where most heroes are either powerless/gadget heroes or straight metahumans.

Cyborg on the other hand has been a part of Justice League stuff since... well, Superfriends at the earliest. He's a recognizable character who has appeared in a ton of different media and thanks to the Teen Titans cartoon is genuinely recognizable to a lot of casual fans. He's a really understandable choice just in that regards.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ImpAtom posted:

Cyborg is the superhero who has name recognition value and history while also being his own self-defined character and having no other versions. The Specter and Firestorm suffer from the latter, Steel and Batwing from the former. Amazing-Man and Bumblebee are characters who even DC comic fans would have trouble naming. I think Static is probably the best of that lineup and there are some issues going on with rights and so-on which seems like they make them shy away from him. He's also a pretty distinctive character, being a heavily tech-oriented superhero in a setting where most heroes are either powerless/gadget heroes or straight metahumans.

Cyborg on the other hand has been a part of Justice League stuff since... well, Superfriends at the earliest. He's a recognizable character who has appeared in a ton of different media and thanks to the Teen Titans cartoon is genuinely recognizable to a lot of casual fans. He's a really understandable choice just in that regards.

Black Lightning

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the wake of Supermans death I do hope we get to see Steel as he shows the impact the Man of Steel has but probably not. Just have Shaq be in it at random.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gatts posted:

In the wake of Supermans death I do hope we get to see Steel as he shows the impact the Man of Steel has but probably not. Just have Shaq be in it at random.

Think you mean Sinbad.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Not my Black Guy

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Think you mean Sinbad.

Agreed. He can be Mister Mxyzptlk.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/justiceleagueuk/status/925031478018396160

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Someone post the new trailer where Aquaman winks at the camera.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Think you mean Sinbad.

Sinbad was in Shazam dumbfuck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Someone post the new trailer where Aquaman winks at the camera.

https://twitter.com/justiceleaguewb/status/925044646534725632

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Static essentially electricity-Spider Man? Or is that only in the cartoon?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TonyDanielx2/status/924817211319111680

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Forget Cyborg, what iconographic reject pile did that Batman logo fall out of.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

Forget Cyborg, what iconographic reject pile did that Batman logo fall out of.

That has been Batman's logo since 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Looks like they sucked some Affleck out of Batman and pumped it into the Flash.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Perhaps, but it's mostly just cynicism because you know hollywood makes calculations and considerations like that

If the JL was all-white in this movie that would also be a calculation and consideration. A far more common one. So why bitch about a glimmer of inclusivity

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AdmiralViscen posted:

If the JL was all-white in this movie that would also be a calculation and consideration. A far more common one. So why bitch about a glimmer of inclusivity

Because I would rather it be a different character.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Static Shock would be an awesome adaptation if given a similar tone to Spider-Man: Homecoming. Not too heavy, no world-ending stakes, just inner city trouble and street level coolness.

I'd unironically want Jaden Smith cast in the role, just for the weirdness of when Deadshot shows up. Hell, just make him Deadshot's relative and have that be the driving conflictc

Where's my loving cheque, WB.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What the movie series needs is a re-appearance of The One True Wonder Woman, Nubia.

While Diana is moping around crying over her boyfriend and looking for fun adventures, Nubia is literally protecting the entire multi-verse from incursions from the various Hell dimensions that she thinks the heroes of the various Earths cannot handle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Habibi posted:

Agreed. I would have preferred something more...mechanical. Eg, I dig the design of this statue (which I guess is from New 52? I don't keep up with the comic universe):

Looks too similar to Iron Man/War Machine imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

Looks too similar to Iron Man/War Machine imo.

The middle circular icon and metal abs are super similar

the crotch light tho