Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

Cool, thanks! Each server could have quite a few players if distant ships were updated at a drastically lower rate, and only basic info (like, -just- position, and not turrets, weapons seat folding, etc).

It'd basically be Eve Online, but a shooter for the players immediately near you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

peter gabriel posted:

If they posted here I would be scared and upset

Agreed. I don't know what I'd do if another SCTrumpHaters poster showed up ITT... :ohdear:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't fault people for generally not understanding networking, but how does this guy think all these machines move data between them, and does he know that there are limits in both speed and quantity? Do these people think EVE implements time dilation because they think it's fun?

Even when not time dilated Eve has a tick rate of 1, anything less than 30 in a shooter is awful and even 30 is still pretty bad and leads to bad hit registration.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Chris 'rolling up his sleeves' and doing some coding is like that one boss who 'kept his hand in' by loving everything up once every 6 months

It's hilarious because at any given time the idea of Chris "coding into the morning hours" is equal parts completely unlikely to have happened at all and completely likely to be the reason everything is hosed up with feature X

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Chris 'rolling up his sleeves' and doing some coding is like that one boss who 'kept his hand in' by loving everything up once every 6 months

chris is keeping his hands in alright, by fisting the project to death

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

Even when not time dilated Eve has a tick rate of 1, anything less than 30 in a shooter is awful and even 30 is still pretty bad and leads to bad hit registration.

But this is good for emergent gameplay....

Remember when you were a kid playing good guys vs other good guys:
"I hit you!"
"Nuh uh. You missed. I hit you first!"
"Nuh uh."

"MOOOM Timmy isn't playing fair!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Golli posted:

But this is good for emergent gameplay....

Remember when you were a kid playing good guys vs other good guys:
"I hit you!"
"Nuh uh. You missed. I hit you first!"
"Nuh uh."

"MOOOM Timmy isn't playing fair!"

I'm the in-game independent forensics analyst/referee

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I'm sure he is rolling up his sleeves, but i'm not sure it's because of coding.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the in-game independent forensics analyst/referee

finally a role for the newsvan

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Would you be shocked to learn it's literally both of those things?

Nope, and I hope there's an interesting mechanical reason for the 2-inch barrel that's going to snipe people from a km out when hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope, and I hope there's an interesting mechanical reason for the 2-inch barrel that's going to snipe people from a km out when hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

a 2-inch barrel can snipe someone when it shoots magic rounds that negate all atmospheric and gravitational effects on its flight and freezes the target in place until impact.

DONE

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

It's hilarious because at any given time the idea of Chris "coding into the morning hours" is equal parts completely unlikely to have happened at all and completely likely to be the reason everything is hosed up with feature X

Schrodinger's God Feature

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Space blunderbuss is OP. Please nerf.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Goddamn Beer. Savage as gently caress. Keep em coming!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Redundant posted:

I always find it weird when people revel in their unpleasantness like it's some kind of badge of honour.

Poor Cymelion. He pledges so hard, he posts so many sick owns, he rants and raves and rages against the Filthy Smart, and yet he is still unblessed by the Divine Hand of Roberts.

Yet somehow he keeps the faith, hoping against hope that he is Job in the wilderness and one day that coveted Evocati email lands in his inbox. Whereupon we known drat well he'd immediately proclaim it from every rooftop just to lord it over his former peers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Loxbourne posted:

Poor Cymelion. He pledges so hard, he posts so many sick owns, he rants and raves and rages against the Filthy Smart, and yet he is still unblessed by the Divine Hand of Roberts.

Yet somehow he keeps the faith, hoping against hope that he is Job in the wilderness and one day that coveted Evocati email lands in his inbox. Whereupon we known drat well he'd immediately proclaim it from every rooftop just to lord it over his former peers.
Someone really needs to gin up a fake Evocati invitation (sent from a legit-looking email address) just to gaslight him.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

FMguru posted:

Someone really needs to gin up a fake Evocati invitation (sent from a legit-looking email address) just to gaslight him.

I like the words that you are using. Please post more of them.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I don't have any mirrors.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I don't have any mirrors.
Checkmate Goon.
:smug:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Has anyone run a Wireshark-equivalent on this thing? It came out of nowhere, with a completely nonsensical connection to SC, so I bet it's made by one of CR's sleazy friends. God knows what kind of data it's shipping to/from your phone.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

fritzgryphon posted:

That's actually a really exciting idea. Basically an octree of servers where space is subdivided into cells with a max player count. When a cell has too many players, it is subdivided into smaller cells, each is a new server. Players connect to whatever server is controlling the cell they occupy, and they interact with whatever other players are in it.

-Two players in different cells could actually be very close to each other, if they are near the same border. This might be resolved if players were sending their updates to their server-cell, and all adjacent ones (total of 9). Likely the player would only communicate with a single master server, which would in turn communicate with the 9 cells.

- Even if space is subdivided, it doesn't prevent a large number of players from congregating in a small space. In fact, this will be the rule, as players will clump around jump gateways and stations, hang out with their org, or deliberately choreograph the biggest space battles evar. The subdivided cells would get so tiny that you're only 'see' a few hundred meters (an Idris 1km away wouldn't be in any of your adjacent cells, so you wouldn't see it). There would need to be a way to get some information about ships outside of your cells, even if it's just a position and ship type, to populate all the blips on your sensor screen. Also, in a busy place ships would constantly spawn and despawn as they enter or leave your cells, with a big initialization hit per spawn.

- All this constant connecting, disconnecting, spawning, initializing needs to happen in a way that creates no lag spikes, stutters, framerate drops or physics glitches (to say nothing of disconnects or crashes). It needs to work perfectly, all the time, regardless of internet connection speeds or player's geographical locations. The combat is fluid, and there are harsh penalties for losing your ship or dying. An untimely lag spike could clip two capital ships into each other to vanish in a flurry of debris and two dozen angry spacewalkers, instantly wiping out thousands of man hours of grinding for credits, or even real cash.

It sounds so ridiculous and so goddamn beautiful. This has to be made.

It is made, kinda. I usually see it called "Area of Interest" http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/AdvancedTopics/advanced-mmo-api but I don't know a shunting players off to an entirely different server. Usually just to separate out which players get messages about nearby players and objects/NPCs.

The client needs to have a very flexible concept of other characters so that they can appear and disappear on demand. I think World of Warcraft is the best example I've experienced. But when world events like Opening the Gates of Ahn Qiraj draw a lot of players into the same area, the server starts having a more difficult time.

I think the Areas of Interest in WoW are static pre-defined areas like towns and quest areas, maybe a whole zone.

quote:

This was a truly massive battle -- probably the only one World of Warcraft will ever see. Why will we never see one again? Well, because they break everything. We're not just talking server crashes (though that certainly did happen). We're talking things breaking. There was horrendous lag, hour-long queues to get onto servers, servers constantly losing peoples' locations upon death

Serverside problems are obvious, but the client can have its own issues trying to communicate or render hundreds of characters moving and fighting; especially when the manager decided 600 polygons was a good benchmark for each commando's boot laces.

FMguru posted:

:five::five::five:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/0IsC3qs.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Holy poo poo :lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

gently caress me, I might have to go undercover.

<removes stripey 'Goon' shirt, mask and puts down 'swag' bag>

fritzgryphon posted:

I don't know anything about this, but some challenges come to mind. Maybe there are solutions to them?
[...]
It sounds so ridiculous and so goddamn beautiful. This has to be made.

See Planetside 2. One happy incidence of this is that you can tank neighbouring nodes if you know the secret formula. At one point it was strapping C4 to a sunderer on an edge.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Also, the top half of that post describes WoW's cross-realm phasing tech. Have fun implementing that in an environment with physics that affect gameplay.

The first problem they have is that they have coupled framerate with the physics engine on a single instance. The second problem sits right behind the first problem in terms of scaling.

The big city demo was a tour d'force in streaming textures and _procedural_ content, but it would be a challenge having the same city generated for two people, and there's a significant amount of geometry data to be thrown around, so they're really absolutely nowhere with producing anything that actually _runs_.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Kotaku spoke to a dozen ex-Visceral devs, this is an amazing read

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

My takeaway is that these guys wanted to make a really interesting game but were scuppered by upper management and Disney execs second guessing everything from art direction to gameplay to level design.

The choice of engine seemingly didn't help much either.

Really good read, eye opening.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

G0RF posted:

Me too. Lazrin and MOMA are valuable thread members, and despite the fact that Lazrin’s first series of posts were a non-stop textual machine gunning of me, I’ve always found him a fun voice.

The CitCon demo has mobilized at least some of the Zealots and Evangelists to some :smuggo: gloating on Reddit and beyond. All we’ve seen so far is SD’s Parody, which only us dumbasses fell for...

I really was expecting some flyby thread gloating though, because as bereft of actual gameplay as the CitCon demo was, it was in many respects pretty majestic visually. It’s a given that the whole thing was, like the Sandworm demo, cooked up by Chris in another “I just want to sell the narrative” fever dreams. This time the narrative was of staggering scale that “I’m pretty sure you won’t see in any other games.”

In short, it was another “suck it Braben” volley in the Frenemy Wars, along with being another Roberts-To-The-Devs mandated “alright guys we need to change the narrative ASAP let’s cook up a mindblower to get the faithful reenergized” moment. Like the Sandworm, or the Hamill “meet the Old Man” teaser, or Forest’s “check out the female models we’re about to add” clip from ATV, or the “look at OUR character creator tech” from a bit ago, or Chris Oliva’s Jumpgate Wormhole navigation clips from years back...

Skeptics have seen this movie before and know how it ends - with the movie never quite surviving contact with the codebase and making it to the game intact... but the Zealots are mostly paying to watch the movie and don’t care if/when it ever makes it in game. So they’re happy again and ready to pound their moobs and cry victory over the doubters...

To every thing turn, turn, turn...

I saw it as a more mature presentation than those past. There weren't any large, technical glitches (save for a little bit of stuttering here or there due to who know what) and Roberts learned (for the most part) to quit promising the world and only deliver little, but show big. I feel CIG has taken a step back to fine tune and hone foundation work and will only release updates when they are in a state that can be tested and made public not to withstand ridicule, but because they're ready for public consumption. Notice I didn't come back to gloat or :smuggo: all over you guys. There was progress, albeit slower than wanted. It appears, however, that what was shown was the tip of an iceberg that remains shrouded in the mystery of game development. Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I actually want SC to be released as a playable game.

Just imagine; all of these complete morons that have been shelling out hundreds/thousands of dollars for some space advantage only to get suicide ganked by hundreds of goons for no discernible reason.

It's pretty funny for the die hards to be smugging so hard over some semblance of progress- like they're going to personally achieve something if/when the game is released. If they're up in arms over goons right now, they're in for a real surprise when we can actually log in....

...in like 10 years

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

I've told you guys over and over again that these are just standard CryEngine levels, stitched together with other levels to give the impression of size and scale.

25km up isn't space. And it's not orbit. It's still within the atmosphere (if we're comparing to Earth)

Don't get wrong, I think this is fine for the game; but it just kills Shitizens dreams by dousing them in flames, even as they're going through REM.

ps: This poo poo will never be in the game. I've played Evocati 3.0 and even with the moon, it's crap, performance is poo poo, and....well, just wait.

I get that you are doing this for the lols, and that you'd love to evoke anger (or whatever) from r/ds because that is now your daily medicine, but do you actually believe that these are stitched together maps? And, if so, how would you go about proving your theory?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

My takeaway is that these guys wanted to make a really interesting game but were scuppered by upper management and Disney execs second guessing everything from art direction to gameplay to level design.

I'd add that the continuing snowballing of San Francisco and Sunnyvale leads to an increase in living costs that gets hard to bear against the background of the demands that corporate place on the producers.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I get that you are doing this for the lols, and that you'd love to evoke anger (or whatever) from r/ds because that is now your daily medicine, but do you actually believe that these are stitched together maps? And, if so, how would you go about proving your theory?

It's less a stitch together than a streaming map, but then they couldn't actually demonstrate two people seeing the same stream, could they, because it was generated for a single observer.

Gamescom showed a janky as gently caress interaction between two sets of people; CitCon showed a demo reel for a partial technology that we've actually seen before. Hell, it's a backwards step from the city builder that Introspection built.

Where is 3.0, BTW? Did all those people who've played it not _actually_ play it, or do you maybe suspect that they were shown a demo within specific guardrails?

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 30, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

I saw it as a more mature presentation than those past. There weren't any large, technical glitches (save for a little bit of stuttering here or there due to who know what) and Roberts learned (for the most part) to quit promising the world and only deliver little, but show big. I feel CIG has taken a step back to fine tune and hone foundation work and will only release updates when they are in a state that can be tested and made public not to withstand ridicule, but because they're ready for public consumption. Notice I didn't come back to gloat or :smuggo: all over you guys. There was progress, albeit slower than wanted. It appears, however, that what was shown was the tip of an iceberg that remains shrouded in the mystery of game development. Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

Basically they've learned how to better extract money from the same people they've been doing it to for 6 years while still not providing a game or even an example of a gameplay loop.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Toast makes a good point. How could anyone possibly prove a claim by CIG is incorrect? We may never know

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

There was progress, albeit slower than wanted. It appears, however, that what was shown was the tip of an iceberg that remains shrouded in the mystery of game development. Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

AI is still barebones and unchanged from GAMESCOM. This should not be a thing 6 years into development.

There was no multiplayer whatsoever, a major step back from GAMESCOM.

There was no combat, or anything for your character to do, other than travel. This is a major step back from literally everything.

There was an 8 minute loading time. This is a step back to pre-2010's days of load times, on better, more fleshed out programs. This is not about "balancing travel time". A major step backwards.

There was 1 city, with the jankiest of buildings and terrain, that constantly looked wrong for anything more than a passing glance. No, you couldn't go land on a building and walk anywhere, its a bullshot. Not only that, but the hyper-real super-legit game, Star Citizen, has distances far too short and physics far too muddied to represent anything close to realistic. A major step back from everything.

Maybe you should take a step back from this project and judge it upon the same merits as you would other games. And no, CIG produces a lot of white noise content, very little of which is useful in any way, shape, or form. Case in point, go check out any of the earlier 10 For The Chairman videos. How many of the questions are still applicable, and how close are they to being implemented? Where's farming, or mining, or anything for that matter?

"Just around the corner" is not informative, it is deception, you loving mark.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SCtrumpHaters posted:

So I've been a long time lurker but had to grit my teeth and pay up just to explain....well gloat on all you clowns,

Like how does it taste? The biggest event of the year where you guys were sourly clenching your fingers in anticipation of mocking something better than yourselves.

But Chris delivered. Showing Dereek Farts and you idiots what is possible in gaming.

You guys are pretty much silent, trying anything in your power to smear this accomplishment and its ugly. You have nothing solid to point at and say this is bad. Its all supposition and honestly, lies.

See you in the loving Verse friends.

I hope you’re for real, but I have a feeling you’re not.

I’ll probably learn the horrible, painful truth in a few pages here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hand on heart the thing that impressed me most was Chris somehow got worse at cutting a cake. It looked like Edward Scissorhands and Wolverine had been fighting over the first slice

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

How are people still using this argument despite the only people that are able to see any semblance of gameplay are locked down tight by a complete NDA? They are communicating to you what they "want to do" and bullshit lore that they're making up on the spot just to shill more spaceship jpegs. 6 years of development and not one second of actual gaming shown at the convention? Scripted tech demos are anything but open communication about the state of development.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I hope you’re for real, but I have a feeling you’re not.

He's as real as every really, really, really, really vociferous supporter of the "game" known as star citizen that has splashed into the thread and caused around 10 pages of debate.

As real as that.

peter gabriel posted:

Hand on heart the thing that impressed me most was Chris somehow got worse at cutting a cake. It looked like Edward Scissorhands and Wolverine had been fighting over the first slice

They've been training him not to just used his mole hands.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

I'd add that the continuing snowballing of San Francisco and Sunnyvale leads to an increase in living costs that gets hard to bear against the background of the demands that corporate place on the producers.

It's less a stitch together than a streaming map, but then they couldn't actually demonstrate two people seeing the same stream, could they, because it was generated for a single observer.

Gamescom showed a janky as gently caress interaction between two sets of people; CitCon showed a demo reel for a partial technology that we've actually seen before. Hell, it's a backwards step from the city builder that Introspection built.

Where is 3.0, BTW? Did all those people who've played it not _actually_ play it, or do you maybe suspect that they were shown a demo within specific guardrails?

There are still a few bugs preventing a wider PTU release. We're making good progress though - fps has increased greatly.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Roberts learned (for the most part) to quit promising the world and only deliver little

He literally promised the world and then didn't deliver anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

it is deception, you loving mark.

Just fyi: you waste these extra characters on me. I forgive and love you.