Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I liked exploring random poo poo in a mostly empty wasteland and getting to places it looked like you weren't supposed to be (and then sometimes actually being in places you weren't supposed to be). Like it's probably incredibly telling that my first experience with it was playing an old OPM demo that was supposed to be just the tower and the first colossus but they forgot to destroy one of the bridges and you could explore until the game would crash. And then also the top of the tower wasn't finished.

Really wish they left the stamina glitch in though so you could climb the tower from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of SotC's impact for me came from the story, once you know what you're really working towards it's hard to go back to killing all those monsters just chillin' out in the countryside.

I, too, have played any JRPG made before 2012

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Now that the Sony Paris Conference is done I can post this without worrying about it actually happening:

https://twitter.com/GameRant/status/925008322687840257

Every time before every conference this rumor pops up. It's like the "Nintendo is totally gonna announce Mother 3 for the West you guys" of Playstation rumors at this point.

Or like the one hypothetical announcement everyone always brings up as a joke. Like for the past three years a Knack sequel had taken the place of it, but then we actually got a fuckin' Knack II so now PSASBR2 is back to being the go-to.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People actually like Mother 3, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playstation All-Star "Big Daddy"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Playstation All-Star "Big Daddy"

Somehow still has a more interesting cast than MvC:I

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I find the gameplay of SotC fun enough for me to play the game just for the sake of it

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One day there will be a crossover game where the main gist of the story is that the short and stout mascots are at war with the tall and detailed characters.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Naughty Dog was supposed to work on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale but were busy with The Last of Us.

Are we in the worst timeline, Ellie?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No Knack, obvious loving fake

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus, the new Last of Us Part II trailer is brutal as gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished new Wolfenstein, it was okay but felt like a game that they begrudgingly put some shooting in to break up the story because it's obvious what they were most interested in.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No Knack, obvious loving fake

Yeah. Theyd have both red and blue knack in any real game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people who play SotC for the first time next February are in for a treat, especially since they'll be able to play a version of the game that isn't hobbled with hitching and eyebleedingly bad graphics. Only other old game I think really needs an updated remake would be Killer7

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DLC Inc posted:

people who play SotC for the first time next February are in for a treat, especially since they'll be able to play a version of the game that isn't hobbled with hitching and eyebleedingly bad graphics.

Were they bad? The framerate was terrible but the contents of the frame was beautiful even if it did have a deliberately limited color palette.

quote:

Only other old game I think really needs an updated remake would be Killer7

That only needs to be made available on something other than GameCube and PS2, change nothing else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The graphics in SotC were amazing for the time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Part of this is probably just nostalgia but I feel like SotC loses some of its mystique when the graphics are too sharp. The original had this sort of fogginess to it, it lent it a dreamlike quality.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

Jesus, the new Last of Us Part II trailer is brutal as gently caress.

And God of War has PG-13 violence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SotC on PS2 was absolutely beautiful but just ran at like 10fps. The PS3 version didn't really change anything other stability and was the perfect version. The PS4 version looks nicer I guess but it feels unnecessary, they should have just made it a PS2 on PS4 game for 10 bucks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I thought they were amazing back in 2005 or whenever. Slow framerates but that was typical of the PS2 generation.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

everything on ps2 was amazing for its time but a lot of the games did not age well at all. Looking back on even N64 games like Perfect Dark or Nightmare Creatures, they looked lightyears ahead of other games but goddamn idk how I played them at 15fps

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haha the ending of oddessey is super mario hyadain

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
killer7 really does just need a rerelease on modern consoles. the visual style scales really well with higher resolutions in emulators

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did somebody say killer7

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DLC Inc posted:

everything on ps2 was amazing for its time but a lot of the games did not age well at all. Looking back on even N64 games like Perfect Dark or Nightmare Creatures, they looked lightyears ahead of other games but goddamn idk how I played them at 15fps

Uh if everything was amazing for the time that would just make it normal for the the time. Graphics varied wildly then like they do now and SotC was above and beyond. Of course they don't look great now it's a PS2 game, but they have character.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When did everyone start liking killer7

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

i thought people have liked killer7 for a while

i played through it last year and it was cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The five people who played it liked Killer7

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sunning posted:

And God of War has PG-13 violence.

Considering how the series has depicted violence before maybe this is a blessing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well it obviously has to be if he's taking his kid with him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I'm quite happy for PG13 GoW. Though 3 was probably the low point and I don't remember the others being as bad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have always liked killer7

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

The five people who played it liked Killer7

Count me as 1 of the five

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lets hang out posted:

killer7 is incredibly "good" and "pwn"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8KYp0aaJY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Are we using pwn again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are we using pwn again

Acceptable when talking about a game released in 2005

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

clicked this expecting the russian roulette scene from Killer7 but this is just as good

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The idea that people consider SotC to be an ugly rear end game is loving bizarre to me

• Locked thread