Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fits my needs posted:

I swear some of the grunts I hear are people beating off in the bathrooms.

And THAT is one of the reasons I am happy I am a stealth wanker... :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fits my needs posted:

I swear some of the grunts I hear are people beating off in the bathrooms.

Quit narcing, some of us can't get the privacy we need at home.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Sundae on behalf of humanity, I thank you for owning up and also for doing your best to nuke that shitstain's career from orbit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

On a happier note...
Another Thursday, another highly over-catered, awesome party. :3: Not pictured: Lamb chops, tons of booze, dessert table, miniature quiches, and other assorted random non-seafood items.

That meeting looks important, it obviously needs an IT presence to help ensure customer efficiency and a safeguard against liquid spills. You have my email address, I have HPSM access to create Service Request tickets...

If HR isn't already howling for blood over this, escalate to someone working in B31 and also Legal. I want scalps to be taken over this.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sundae posted:

My manager finally contacted me back the day after the rear end in a top hat left saying "what the gently caress is wrong with you, OF COURSE YOU COULD'VE WALKED HIM OUT." He was rightfully ticked off at me and my co-engineer for not calling security on him the moment we found out.

So TL;DR on poor response: People were afraid to say anything, and then once we found out, I legitimately hosed up hard. My morning meeting with my staff today was dedicated to me apologizing to everyone.

You are right in apologizing, glad to hear you own up.
However, your boss should also wonder what he could have done differently to ensure you knew you had the mandate. It is very easy to lay blame on someone for not walking him out, but if you did do that and there would be millions in damage it would be your fault as well. Finally, hindsight is easy. You had a doubt and your bosses could not be reached for advice in a situation nobody anticipated. If training is needed, it is for your bosses to learn how to ensure everyone is empowered . because appears you did not feel empowered enough.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Pro tip for all linkedin users out there: Do not list a PhD from the school of hard knocks on your profile, especially if the time was 14 years.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Tnuctip posted:

Pro tip for all linkedin users out there: Do not list a PhD from the school of hard knocks on your profile, especially if the time was 14 years.

How else are they going to account for the gap in employment history while they were incarcerated?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

therobit posted:

How else are they going to account for the gap in employment history while they were incarcerated?

Stabbaatical

I mean, Sabbatical.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got "The Needful" listed as a skill, plenty of endorsements for it too.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Stabbaatical

I mean, Sabbatical.

:discourse:

Saddly this guy is a director of sales with a bunch of buzzwords. Also somehow was the CEO of habitat for humanity, which is a good thing, but i doubt he meant nationally. i think he meant it seriously? Not my boss, not my problem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tnuctip posted:

I mean if you were in the clink for 14 years that's not something you'll ever be able to hide from a prospective employer. In fact at least in the US, unfair as it may be, you're pretty near hopeless to ever get meaningfully employed again unless you're spectacularly charismatic and stick to smaller companies. HR departments are far too risk averse to consider hiring a felon, and even if that weren't true you'd still be far behind in experience.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Upstairs office neighbors had a Halloween rager all afternoon, meanwhile I'm down here and have been tasked with writing an SOP for how we create and store documents in my department's file server :sigh: Same boss insists that my department also sets up an online spreadsheet for tracking document requests in the interest of keeping track of things more easily, when I get maybe one such request a day and can usually finish it in under 30 minutes.

I'm scared that putting both of those in place is going to finally reveal how little work I actually do while I'm here.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got "The Needful" listed as a skill, plenty of endorsements for it too.

I'd hire you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the Needful frequently does need doing

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Pro: The cafeteria staff just stocked our department fridge with lots of different milk, creamer flavors, etc etc.
Con: To make room for them, they removed about 30 cans of soda and sparkling flavored water, plus a few beers, that we stashed in there after yesterday's party.

Our collective department doesn't know whether to be happy or wallow in despair. I don't drink coffee, but since they left my box of wine (yes, shut up) alone, I'm indifferent.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Keetron posted:

You are right in apologizing, glad to hear you own up.
However, your boss should also wonder what he could have done differently to ensure you knew you had the mandate. It is very easy to lay blame on someone for not walking him out, but if you did do that and there would be millions in damage it would be your fault as well. Finally, hindsight is easy. You had a doubt and your bosses could not be reached for advice in a situation nobody anticipated. If training is needed, it is for your bosses to learn how to ensure everyone is empowered . because appears you did not feel empowered enough.

I am currently going through this but in a wildly different way. After the saga of a renovation that took over twice as long as anyone thought. I was asked to do a lot of things, that quite frankly were so far out of my job description as to be comical. I was too afraid to draw a line in the sand because I think I would have been told to deal with it. Now we're dealing with the fallout of my normal duties having fallen behind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sundae posted:

Pro: The cafeteria staff just stocked our department fridge with lots of different milk, creamer flavors, etc etc.
Con: To make room for them, they removed about 30 cans of soda and sparkling flavored water, plus a few beers, that we stashed in there after yesterday's party.

Our collective department doesn't know whether to be happy or wallow in despair. I don't drink coffee, but since they left my box of wine (yes, shut up) alone, I'm indifferent.

BotaBox? Or you a hardcore alcoholic drinking Franzia?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

therobit posted:

He's just using it to store his Soylent so the others won't steal it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

Bota Box, totally. Specifically...

quote:

Soylent

Even having never tasted it, there are few things that gross me out quite like Soylent. When what I really want in life is to remove all forms of happiness, I know where I'll get my meals.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soylent is loving weird on basically every level, from taking the name from a dystopian sci fi movie to being food for BEEP BOOP NEED NOURISHMENT WHAT IS FLAVOR? ? ? to giving people the shits but they still consume it anyway

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Soylent is loving weird on basically every level, from taking the name from a dystopian sci fi movie to being food for BEEP BOOP NEED NOURISHMENT WHAT IS FLAVOR? ? ? to giving people the shits but they still consume it anyway

Dunno. Someone I know gave me a supply so I tried it for a while. It DOES have a flavor (dilute, wet oatmeal), and it never gave me the shits.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Short version is soylent was developed by some especially disturbed STEM SV people without knowledge of nutrition or safe food manufacturing regs, as a plan to "disrupt" food. Mind you, meal replacement drinks, shakes, etc is an entire preexisting industry that these folks seemed completely ignorant of. It got a bunch of VC, got dinged by the FDA. I think it now has some semi-competent FDA compliance and nutrition people onboard, but there's absolutely no reason to use it over a dozen equivalent, cheaper, safer products that don't overpromise.

There are some great posts out there from the founder about "hacking" his digestive tract- not sure which subforum or thread, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Discendo Vox posted:

Short version is soylent was developed by some especially disturbed STEM SV people without knowledge of nutrition or safe food manufacturing regs, as a plan to "disrupt" food. Mind you, meal replacement drinks, shakes, etc is an entire preexisting industry that these folks seemed completely ignorant of. It got a bunch of VC, got dinged by the FDA. I think it now has some semi-competent FDA compliance and nutrition people onboard, but there's absolutely no reason to use it over a dozen equivalent, cheaper, safer products that don't overpromise.

There are some great posts out there from the founder about "hacking" his digestive tract- not sure which subforum or thread, though.

Short version is [product 2.0] was developed by some especially disturbed STEM SV people without knowledge of [product], as a plan to "disrupt" [product 1.0]. Mind you, [product 1.0] is an entire preexisting industry that these folks seemed completely ignorant of. It got a bunch of VC, got dinged by [product regulators]. I think it now has some semi-competent [product regulator] compliance and [product] people onboard, but there's absolutely no reason to use it over a dozen equivalent, cheaper, safer products that don't overpromise.

Edit:

I was really struggling to figure out whether to call it product 2.0, or "New" product 0.9 beta

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

It's probably on his blog (via Wayback Machine), which is like a one-stop shop for insights into the psyche of a disruptor.

A Life Without Water posted:

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Randler fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 28, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Is this the real goal here?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

quote:

However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Kind of tells me a lot about the person.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Two things I have often wondered about pooping:

Would it be possible to achieve a perfectly efficient diet that led to zero defecation?

Conversely: Would it be possible to consume food in a small and constant flow until the poop also came out in a constant flow like an infinite thread of brown spaghetti?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I have been meaning to create a disruptive start up in the metabolic space. Like the white goo in ds9, but instead it will be your total coloric intake, complete with drm, auto prepay, and insurgent microbes to punish you for violating the eula and eating regular food.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I thought Soylent was just Slimfast for nerds? Re-market something to a different group of people and you've got way more sales.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

High Lord Elbow posted:

Would it be possible to achieve a perfectly efficient diet that led to zero defecation?

Yes, although the exact mechanism is controversial and still subject to debate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chainclaw posted:

I thought Soylent was just Slimfast for nerds? Re-market something to a different group of people and you've got way more sales.
That would be true if it was a just a regular diet supplement company rebranding, but it was developed by a guy who didn't realize those things existed and just tried to come up with it himself so that he could avoid the irritation of eating. Which led to pretty hilarious stuff like him forgetting to put things like iron into the initial formulation.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ashcans posted:

That would be true if it was a just a regular diet supplement company rebranding, but it was developed by a guy who didn't realize those things existed and just tried to come up with it himself so that he could avoid the irritation of eating. Which led to pretty hilarious stuff like him forgetting to put things like iron into the initial formulation.

That's my favorite part about what led Rob Rhinehart to create Soylent. The tech startup that he was running was going down in flames and they spent the last of their cash on developing Soylent because he thought that one of the reasons that the business was failing was because he was spending too much time acquiring, preparing, and eating food.

Or so he claims.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A life without pooping at work is not a life worth living.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Always poop on The Man's time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I had Mexican for diner, and I shat so hard it disables the septic system and our workplace was offline for like twelve hours. I was told this was a big deal because it "left a gap in our national security apparatus".

Was a good burrito though.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Star Man posted:

That's my favorite part about what led Rob Rhinehart to create Soylent. The tech startup that he was running was going down in flames and they spent the last of their cash on developing Soylent because he thought that one of the reasons that the business was failing was because he was spending too much time acquiring, preparing, and eating food.

Or so he claims.

If you don't have time to eat like a normal person, you are really lovely at time management.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

FrozenVent posted:

One time I had Mexican for diner, and I shat so hard it disables the septic system and our workplace was offline for like twelve hours. I was told this was a big deal because it "left a gap in our national security apparatus".

Was a good burrito though.

The Mexican Post-Wall infiltration strategy has been revealed!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star Man posted:

Or so he claims.

Says the founder of the "poster child" startup here in town:

quote:

“When you go to lunch at 12, that’s a massive distraction,” says Lozano.

He'd probably be down with forcing employees to eat a Soylent regimen if it kept them from making GBS threads, because that's also a massive distraction, and locking the washrooms just gets messy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

If you don't have time to eat like a normal person, you are really lovely at time management.

Honestly I was thinking that whatever scant successes his company WAS having were probably accomplished while he was off getting food or on the toilet and therefore not loving anything up in that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

quote:

“When you go to lunch at 12, that’s a massive distraction,” says Lozano.

because people are so much more effective when they work the entire day without breaks.