Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish posted:

I think it's a cool and good gesture, but it's also just that: a gesture. They're throwing a few bones to a nationalist base that is coming dangerously close to seeing them as yet another Belgian regime party. Nothing will come of it.

e: actually, looking at De Standaard, he said it was legally possible for Catalans to request asylum in Belgium, which is just a factual statement. Weak.

Is it though? I thought Belgium automatically denied asylum applications from citizens of other EU countries. It could even be an EU rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It seems instinctively unlikely to me that it’s possible to seek asylum from one EU country within another.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Is it though? I thought Belgium automatically denied asylum applications from citizens of other EU countries. It could even be an EU rule.

Yes. Belgium is one of the few exceptions.

e: I didn't know before today either

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao if you end up in the refugee redistribution program and get assigned back to your home country

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im gonna fight in the Catalonian civil war. If it pops off. I mean dude way cooler than isisland syria. I mean I speak spanish and am a Soldier. I could score some mondo spanish pussy while defending the GATES OF LA CIUDAD

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The treatment this issue has had in the Anglo-Saxon press has been kind of weird.Feels like everybody is just cumming on the prospect of reenacting Hemingway and writing it's own homage to Catalonia without regard of the issue.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

LeoMarr posted:

Im gonna fight in the Catalonian civil war. If it pops off. I mean dude way cooler than isisland syria. I mean I speak spanish and am a Soldier. I could score some mondo spanish pussy while defending the GATES OF LA CIUDAD

RIP Leomarr. His red text predicted the outcome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hump day bitches! posted:

The treatment this issue has had in the Anglo-Saxon press has been kind of weird.Feels like everybody is just cumming on the prospect of reenacting Hemingway and writing it's own homage to Catalonia without regard of the issue.
Aesthetics are the only thing that matters.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Which ciudad would you be defending specifically

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Which ciudad would you be defending specifically

All the ciudads.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pluskut Tukker posted:

For all of these reasons, the concept of an orderly and peaceful secession in this day and age is a fantasy, now more than ever since the degree of complexity in society is so much bigger than it used to be.

Without necessarily expressing an opinion on whether Catalan independence is a good or a bad idea, this is not true. The Czech Republic and Slovakia divorced on good terms. If Scotland had voted Yes I don't think there would have been Challenger IIs rolling down the Royal Mile, either. It can be done, though rather by definition only if both sides accept it's necessary.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Without necessarily expressing an opinion on whether Catalan independence is a good or a bad idea, this is not true. The Czech Republic and Slovakia divorced on good terms. If Scotland had voted Yes I don't think there would have been Challenger IIs rolling down the Royal Mile, either. It can be done, though rather by definition only if both sides accept it's necessary.

I mentioned Czechoslovakia as an exception in the previous post. Nevertheless, I don't think it's a good comparison, for one thing because it was mutually agreed, but mainly because complexity has increased since then. Czechoslovakia wasn't an EU member, the WTO (GATT) wasn't as advanced as it is now, Czechoslovakia was still in the process of dismantling the central-planning regime, and it didn't have a fully convertible currency. Settling all the matters also took much longer than is commonly thought (good piece comparing the breakup of Czechoslvakia with a possible Scottish secession here).

The relevant comparison for Catalonia's secession in my view would be Brexit, except worse because no ground rules for secession are in place, and it would be even easier for politicians to inflame nationalist sentiment on both sides. So while I don't foresee tanks rolling down the Ramblas either, I would certainly predict spikes in unemployment, bank runs, and other kinds of dislocation (e: this would probably apply to Scotland or other seceding places too).

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 30, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The court process has started, time for the Catalonian government to buckle up or grab the first plane out of the EU.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Why the gently caress is Belgium touching the poop

Do these people want the EU just gone

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

orange sky posted:

Why the gently caress is Belgium touching the poop

Do these people want the EU just gone

Yes (not joking). Or at least, I wouldn't be surprised if Francken did.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 30, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Yes (not joking).

gently caress.

Belgium is kind of the last country I expected to want the EU to end, Benelux makes all the good money with the EU institutions.

People are just never happy, damnit.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also lol if Italy suddenly thinks it's a good idea to go back to city states and multiple civil wars start rising

Let's run this poo poo into the ground!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Not Belgium as a whole, just the minister responsible for their asylum policy and I suspect the Flemish nationalist party he belongs to.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Not Belgium as a whole, just the minister responsible for their asylum policy and I suspect the Flemish nationalist party he belongs to.

And what's the public opinion like on that one?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Spanish newspapers are reporting that Puigdemont is in Brussels now. :munch:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-a8027366.html

loving lol. I'm hoping that that one poster earlier was right when he said Puigdemont would end up in the EU's refugee resettlement policy and get extradited to Spain, so 2017 can blow our minds one final time. What a year.

EDIT: N-VA doesn't really want to see the EU end I think. Wasn't there a slogan of theirs along the lines of "an independent Flanders in a strong Europe" or something? Or "Crucial for Flanders, good for Europe?"

They always seemed to be into the whole Europe of Regions thing, similar to the Catalan dream of being an EU Member but outside of their former countries.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 30, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

What is this, they do not want the EU gone, in fact the EU is often cited as the main thing that will allow the 19th-century dinosaur states to evaporate in a Europe of the Regions.

In any case, Puigdemont is in Brussels to give a press conference, not to demand asylum (lol)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Deltasquid posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-a8027366.html

loving lol. I'm hoping that that one poster earlier was right when he said Puigdemont would end up in the EU's refugee resettlement policy and get extradited to Spain, so 2017 can blow our minds one final time. What a year.

Lmao

Is that even remotely possible?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

What is this, they do not want the EU gone, in fact the EU is often cited as the main thing that will allow the 19th-century dinosaur states to evaporate in a Europe of the Regions.

I suspected Francken of this simply because of his not so veiled racism and his connections to extreme right figures, but I guess I'm mistaken then. But since there is not going to be a Europe of the Regions, I wonder if they'd still like the EU if it stayed as it was.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
They're perfectly fine with the EU as it stands, as long as they can bail on the Walloons and maybe turn it into a Festung Europa of sorts that sends foreigners back forever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't particularly like Francken but his actual immigration policies are not significantly more strict than those of his predecessor, he just can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

If Puigdemont actually does demand asylum I will laugh forever, Francken was just bluffing to placate the Flemish Movement, which generally likes Catalonia.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I am so very much hoping something got lost in translation and Puigdemont actually asks for asylum and Francken puts his foot in his mouth a few more times while Charles Michel scrambles to placate the Spanish government.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In case anyone is serious about this: No, he can't get asylum. It's not just something countries hand out at will. There is a whole legal process and formal legal criteria. He doesn't qualify.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Francken: Bro you can stay at my place

Michel: [giant anime sweat drop appears on forehead]

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

Rajoy: "Omae wa mo shindeiru"
Puigdemont & Francken: "naniii"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if part of Francken's messaging is just because his party, a flemish separatist party, spent its entire time in government focusing not on splitting the country, but cutting taxes on corporations and upper income brackets. This is just their way of messaging "we're still committed to that whole separatist agenda. Just you know, not in belgium, right now. Elsewhere's cool though."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

In case anyone is serious about this: No, he can't get asylum. It's not just something countries hand out at will. There is a whole legal process and formal legal criteria. He doesn't qualify.

As an erudite man on the facebook comments section of de morgen said: "De linkse maskers vallen af , net nu Theo asiel wilt verlenen aan een buitenlandse leider die moet vrezen voor zijn leven , schreeuwen de linkse hippies en roze mutsen dat asiel geven geen opportuniteit is . Maar wel janken als Theo illegalen wilt deporteren en parken wilt opkuisen . Linkse hippies zijn de fascisten van deze eeuw ."

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

In any case, Puigdemont is in Brussels to give a press conference, not to demand asylum (lol)

He needed to take five ministers with him to hold a simple press conference?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Phlegmish posted:

Michel is such a poo poo PM. Even Di Rupo had a better control of his administration.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So if the catalonian government fails to help its people and spain rolls in and starts a Northeen Irelans style occupation, wont this in turn make violent revolts easier to take part in? Or the electibility of an ultra nationalist party becomes easier while there are spanish troops quartering peoples homes.

Seems like once you start throwing easy groups of targets (Police grouping, National Guard, etc) in city centers it opens up a floodgate of violence that only escalates or de-escalates based on the responses. If the police do anything but shield wall up and block entrance it would see that Tear Gassing, Rubber bullet pelting, Arrests and all that would just create more violence. All this will come to a head with bullets and bombs of course.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 30, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Cataluña? I think you mean North-Eastern Castile :smug:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LeoMarr posted:

So if the catalonian government fails to help its people and spain rolls in and starts a Northeen Irelans style occupation, wont this in turn make violent revolts easier to take part in? Or the electibility of an ultra nationalist party becomes easier while there are spanish troops quartering peoples homes.

Seems like once you start throwing easy groups of targets (Police grouping, National Guard, etc) in city centers it opens up a floodgate of violence that only escalates or de-escalates based on the responses. If the police do anything but shield wall up and block entrance it would see that Tear Gassing, Rubber bullet pelting, Arrests and all that would just create more violence. All this will come to a head with bullets and bombs of course.

The Spanish government would never do anything that stupis.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

Right, but why does that need the dinosaur states of the immediate post world war ii era?

Because EU at the moment does not have a governing mechanism that both fairly and equally represents all EU citizens, and has sufficient popular support in all the member states. Any of the current member states splitting up is going to mean a tough renegotiation of a lot of fundamental EU treaties.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sooo Puigdemont is preparingto do a runner. He hired a belgian lawyer (who has spent a large part of his career defending Spanish Basque asylum seekers) to "defend his interests in Belgium".

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/10/30/belgische-advocaat-paul-bekaert-aangesteld-als-raadsman-voor-pui/

right now he's not requested asylum. I assume when the spanish prosecution presses charges/the court case proceeds, he will.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyweir
Apr 29, 2013

lollontee posted:

The Spanish government would never do anything that stupis.

Yes, the Spanish government is clearly very clear headed and rational, not at all showing its reactionary and frankly rather Francoish tendency during the last months.....