Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
That Detroit trailer was super hosed up. Choose your own adventure child abuse edition.

At least we know Cage will handle the material sensitively lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Leyburn posted:

That Detroit trailer was super hosed up. Choose your own adventure child abuse edition.

David Cage really wants to work in Hollywood

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That Last of Us 2 stuff was kid's gloves compared to what I've seen in Wolfenstein. That said, it was kind of an exploitative thing to use for marketing material. Shock value for the sake of shock.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jimbot posted:

That Last of Us 2 stuff was kid's gloves compared to what I've seen in Wolfenstein. That said, it was kind of an exploitative thing to use for marketing material. Shock value for the sake of shock.

Not sure what can make hammering a crying girl's arm "kid's gloves" material.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jimbot posted:

That Last of Us 2 stuff was kid's gloves compared to what I've seen in Wolfenstein.

I did like how the Wolfenstein villain is established by killing your beloved commander after making fun of her disabilities, removing your friend's arm with a fire ax, and fat-shaming her daughter all within the same five-minute cutscene. OK, she's evil, I agree, you can stop now, let me get to the shooting already.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

Assuming they're 100% wrong and unable to do anything they say, I think that's actually kind of a problem that makes me like the game less, not because I want them to be right but because it makes the situation way simpler and less interesting. They should probably have addressed some of the specifics of their plan in the game, though.

But also Joel doesn't know or care any about any of this so it's not even all that relevant to the choice he makes, so whatever.

I'm not sure anyone cares if you like the game less, mate, and yes you are wrong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm not sure anyone cares if you like the game less, mate, and yes you are wrong.

Why are you such a twat?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfenstien is really violent but the campiness of it makes it seem a lot milder than the TLOU 2 trailer to me. The trailer didn't really affect my interest either way. It was good but sort of a weird thing to use for marketing material.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a PS4 thread tradition

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I still don't like the very idea of a Last of Us sequel, since Joel and Ellie's story is told and there's no point doing 'something else with the setting' when the setting is such a nonentity. If you want something else with the setting there's literally every other post-apoc zombie story ever made.

veni veni veni posted:

I personally think the point of that scenario was that there wasn't really a right or wrong. it was more us vs them.

This is it, really.

The penultimate section of the game is deliberately ambiguous, presenting the player with an extreme event which demands a moral judgement but doesn't make what that judgement should be totally obvious. So obviously it's fine to make that judgement one way or another in line with your moral framework, but the readings that think Joel is exonerated straightforwardly from the text kind of end up saying Naughty Dog just failed at something they were clearly attempting to do. Which maybe they did, but I certainly didn't come away with that reading.

I never found the tape that supposedly makes the situation unambiguous, but if so it was a mistake on ND's part.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wolfenstein is definitely a "violence for the sake of violence" game, and I didn't really like that part of it.

TLOU was very explicit about "the world is a horrible place" as a story, but the TLOU2 clip is just off-putting violence, but more so because there is zero context to the scene as discussed earlier.

On its own, the trailer is mainly just gross, but I think it's mainly a weird trailer in terms of promoting a game in general.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
i'll admit the new TLoU 2 trailer didn't do much for me, but the 1st trailer last year did, and every naughty dog release has been good to great so I'm not too worried.

Most importantly however the game is all about the multiplayer anyway. Give me more factions MP and you can hammer a child's arm off every cutscene in the story I don't give a gently caress

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Why are you such a twat?

Just got tired of Arist repeating the same thought post after post.

Peel posted:

I never found the tape that supposedly makes the situation unambiguous, but if so it was a mistake on ND's part.

:laffo:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Regarding TLoU, whether the Fireflies can do it isn't really relevant to the morality of Joel's decision because he doesn't care about any of that. To him he really is choosing between curing all of mankind and losing Ellie. If there was an 100% guarantee it would work, Joel would have still done the same thing. The idea that it wouldn't have worked anyways may make you feel better about he did, but that wasn't the decision he would have made. He doesn't break her out and kill everyone that might follow them because he thinks her sacrifice will be in vain, he does it because he can't stand to lose her. It it also strongly indicated that Ellie totally would have approved of it if asked and while, yes, leaving it up to her is also flawed, you can't complain that they don't give her the decision and then dismiss what her decision would have been

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ghost of Tsushima looks awesome. A game set in japan that's not anime is extremely my jam

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Regarding TLoU, whether the Fireflies can do it isn't really relevant to the morality of Joel's decision because he doesn't care about any of that. To him he really is choosing between curing all of mankind and losing Ellie. If there was an 100% guarantee it would work, Joel would have still done the same thing. The idea that it wouldn't have worked anyways may make you feel better about he did, but that wasn't the decision he would have made. He doesn't break her out and kill everyone that might follow them because he thinks her sacrifice will be in vain, he does it because he can't stand to lose her. It it also strongly indicated that Ellie totally would have approved of it if asked and while, yes, leaving it up to her is also flawed, you can't complain that they don't give her the decision and then dismiss what her decision would have been

They didn't ask her, specifically. Joel sees right through them, and as he's her 'parent' he makes the decision for her and then lies to 'protect' her. She goes along with the lie since she trusts Joel more than anyone else in this particular post-apocalypse. There's absolutely emotional nuance and that sense of nuance distinguishes it as a story, but it's not really ambiguous.

edit; the real weirdness is that some people don't seem capable of differentiating between nuance and ambiguity, in a game made very specifically by devs that have said hundreds of times that they intended to make a story about the bond between 2 individuals rather than about some larger event.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 30, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rinkles posted:

Guessing I'm not alone in feeling that scene (tlou2 trailer) was a bit much? Don't really want to play that game anymore.

It's a bit much and also gives me the feeling that AAA video games have largely lost their way. Pure story trailers are bad to begin with... But just watching women torture each other in the rain I'm like, how is this even video games

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This trailer's also the first one that's made me think, "Hey, a green band/red band thing at the beginning of video game trailers wouldn't hurt."

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The modern-looking logo for Ghosts of Tsushima makes me wonder if there's something more going on than a straight historical setting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think there are two separate scenarios you have to look at. The overall effect on the world and Joel's personal motivation. Would it have saved the world, or even helped at all? Unlikely. But it's possible. As far as Joel goes you are right, none of that matters from his perspective. I don't think he has any reason to assume it will work any more than it won't based on what he has experienced at that point though. But that doesn't really matter because that's not why he's doing it. At the same time people are quick to call it selfish, but I don't think it's that cut and dry. They were both double crossed, and the way the Fireflies went about it was abysmal. I don't fault him for reacting the way he did. And while it's likely she would have agreed to it, she didn't. They could have easily confirmed that if they wanted that to be part of the game, but they didn't.

it really is something you have to draw your own conclusions from. There is a ton of gray area in every aspect of the scenario. I think all things considered Joel did the right thing. There's nothing objective about it though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

veni veni veni posted:

Wolfenstien is really violent but the campiness of it makes it seem a lot milder than the TLOU 2 trailer to me. The trailer didn't really affect my interest either way. It was good but sort of a weird thing to use for marketing material.

Yeah Wolfenstein is like when Murphy gets killed at the beginning of Robocop. It's so over the top it's not horrifying anymore.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Peel posted:

The modern-looking logo for Ghosts of Tsushima makes me wonder if there's something more going on than a straight historical setting.

God no, let historical games be historical. The last thing we need is another Assassin's Creed metaplot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
All the tLoU trailer told me is that it's going to continue to be dark as hell, that Laura Bailey is in it, and that it's going to look frikkin' gorgeous. I'm in the camp that thinks the game didn't need to exist, but if they're actually shifting the spotlight to other characters I'm interested.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should remake tlou but elle can swim and the ffs are too scared of the duo to pull their poo poo at the hospital and everyone extols the virtue of learning to swim and then the sequel will have a new stupid thing that they use over and over for cheep tension and cliffhanger chapter endings.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

and then the sequel will have a new stupid thing that they use over and over for cheep tension and cliffhanger chapter endings.

Rock-slides?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sold

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TLOU s a weird derail for the Bloodborne thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Peel posted:

There's no way they can straight rip off AssCreed's thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the last of kos

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It would be so amazing if they just did it though

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Boogalo posted:

TLOU s a weird derail for the Bloodborne thread.
We could be a little more than a month away from the next FROM game being announced, Kosm help us.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
It's really nice of them to save the Bloodborne 2 reveal for PSX.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

IncanBorne

Aztec Souls

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
TLOU 2 trailer and TLOU chat in this thread have confirmed that these are games I don’t want to play. I just don’t have much stomach for depictions of brutal physical cruelty by people in power these days. I get that these are horror games and I’m not asking them not to be, they’re just not for me. Which is a shame because I love stealthy games.

To bring this back around to being on BB topic, I much prefer that kind of fantasy baroque horror. So delightfully over them top that I can immerse myself in a strange nightmarish world without specifically contemplating how utterly awful ordinary humans can be. Also been enjoying the bright and colourful escapist shooting of Destiny 2. And the over the top cartoon brutality of Blood Bowl 2 (the other BB game).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

TLOU 2 trailer and TLOU chat in this thread have confirmed that these are games I don’t want to play. I just don’t have much stomach for depictions of brutal physical cruelty by people in power these days. I get that these are horror games and I’m not asking them not to be, they’re just not for me. Which is a shame because I love stealthy games.

Thanks for sharing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Scrolls through thread looking for BB2, closes thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Monster Hunter is basically Dark Souls-y enemy pattern recognition with the grinding of a JRPG right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Psn just sent me a bunch of free SOTC avatars for playing on PS3

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh hey Target is doing b2g1 right now, can't tell if it applies to in-store, maybe just online orders, but it includes preorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

Monster Hunter is basically Dark Souls-y enemy pattern recognition with the grinding of a JRPG right?

Eh, I guess, they don't really have much in common other than making you commit to attacks rather than being able to cancel out of everything.