Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I’m anti-fortnite just because I don’t want to play pubg with the building mechanic.
I’d like to play an Overwatch battle royale without mercy Rez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

A stereotype would need to be further oversimplified, past the literal fact of the matter :psyduck:

Thats exactly what is happening :psyboom:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah Dice's offerings have been progressively worse since BC2 with no inidication they're aware.

To be fair, every game is worse than BC2.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

People have been spamming battlefield devs in every possible medium of communication demanding a battlefield royale, so they're at least aware of how badly everyone wants to play a BR game on a non-garbage engine with non-garbage netcode.

They haven't found a way to monetize it at every turn, so just give them some time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Fortnite is clearly a different game with a lot of development toward something else that then got awkwardly shoehorned into battle royale because it was the hot poo poo at the time.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Astarath posted:

Thats exactly what is happening :psyboom:

no, it isn't

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Arkangelus posted:

I think a lot of people aren't giving enough consideration to the fact that part of PUBG's popularity stems from it being one of the first ARMA-likes that is easily accessible to a wider-audience.

I kind of imagine it's the opposite, that it's popular despite of and not because of the realistic physics. It's not like there's a glut of arcadey battle royale clones out there to pick from, there's just the one. I would be surprised if the arma legacy has much pull by the time the community "settles" on a battle royale game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fortnite would be fun and good if it removed building but left all structures destroyable

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I kind of imagine it's the opposite, that it's popular despite of and not because of the realistic physics. It's not like there's a glut of arcadey battle royale clones out there to pick from, there's just the one. I would be surprised if the arma legacy has much pull by the time the community "settles" on a battle royale game.

BR is so popular that there is probably a major market for both.

Some of the arma jankiness/realism does add to the depth of the game as you have to actually gain some minimal understanding of tactical movement and how to communicate threats to get good at pubg. It's the only game I've ever played where people who started off all "hmmph I'm not doing any of that fake milsim MULTIPLE TANGOES NINER 20 bullshit" are making proper call outs 5 games later because it's just more fun if you can actually get a good murdersquad going. Same goes for learning to use cover. Basically if your character had a jetpack and was actually mobile you could get away wit so much more. Instead you move like a fat guy with a backpack full of frying pans and 556, especially so once netcode and tickrate is done with you. The margin for error is small, especially with poo poo tier netcode turning a 100ms peek into a 500ms peek.

Unrelated mostly, but I read today that there are 30+ battle royale games under development in China right now.

VulgarandStupid posted:

They haven't found a way to monetize it at every turn, so just give them some time.

just make each town it's own DLC

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 30, 2017

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Looks like they finally added the SCAR98

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It's the only game I've ever played where people who started off all "hmmph I'm not doing any of that fake milsim MULTIPLE TANGOES NINER 20 bullshit" are making proper call outs 5 games later because it's just more fun if you can actually get a good murdersquad going.

This is exactly what's been happening with the friends I play with. A lot of them were sort of lukewarm on the game because they loot goblined and didn't know how to act as a squad. Now I've shown them the light of the 'go murdering as a tightly formed squad the moment everyone has something better than a pistol' strategy and they're having way more fun. It's also led to them acting more as a cohesive squad once we exit the first circles which of course just leads to winning more games in general and having more fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

just make each town it's own DLC

Micro transactions to make the textures load in. Or out.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
7 kills in a fog solo game, what a heart pounder. Had to go hunting for all the cowardly snakes in the grass.

Had zero kills coming out of a 2~2.5km drop from power, and stalked a guy for two whole circles. Amazed it paid off.

Kinda wanna squads but ain't no one around.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you're wrong. H1Z1 is more arcadey than PUBG and much less popular, even though it's existed for longer.

I played all the original ARMA 2 and 3 iterations of BR and many people playing those felt H1Z1 was much too arcadey, and so stuck with them, despite all the obstacles of playing an ARMA mod.

Optimizations definitely need to happen, but there is definitely, 100%, also some "jank" that is intended in the form of inertia, both as far as character movement and weapon movement in close quarters go.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Had my duo partner die early on, so I went "hard" after getting "revengeance" since there were no grenades around to suicide, fuckin' 8 kills and a chicken dinner with no help.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The Mash posted:

I think you're wrong. H1Z1 is more arcadey than PUBG and much less popular, even though it's existed for longer.

I played all the original ARMA 2 and 3 iterations of BR and many people playing those felt H1Z1 was much too arcadey, and so stuck with them, despite all the obstacles of playing an ARMA mod.

Optimizations definitely need to happen, but there is definitely, 100%, also some "jank" that is intended in the form of inertia, both as far as character movement and weapon movement in close quarters go.

The vast majority of people playing this don’t know what h1z1 is. I don’t.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

That doesn't necessarily invalidate his point though.

Personally I would have zero interest in a BR game where the "gunplay" doesn't have significant depth and is a big part of the gameplay. However, I don't think that mil-sim-sperg necessarily is the only way to make interesting and difficult to master "gunplay" in a BR game. I believe a thing that is difficult to get right is the long range engagements that you get in a BR, where hitscan mechanics would be OP and unfun. Currently we introduce bullet travel and bullet drop (tried and true) to "nerf" the guns, which still leaves the them fun. That doesn't mean it is the only way though. We just have to think outside the box if we want an arcady version. Who says long range irl guns needs to play a big part and not, stealth, traps, melee, vehicles, defensive abilities, temporary powerups, different classes, whathaveya.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 30, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

It has sold over 7 million copies and is currently the 9th most popular game on Steam, i.e. not exactly obscure.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Double Bill posted:

It has sold over 7 million copies and is currently the 9th most popular game on Steam, i.e. not exactly obscure.

Yeah but there's 7.4 billion people on Earth so he's not technically wrong

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Double Bill posted:

Had absolutely no idea. Is h1z1 a stand-alone game? I assumed it was an arma mod. Guess I need to google this up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
There may yet be hope for all the Chinese hackers.

CNN: China could ban red-hot video game over blood and violence. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoIPSvjY

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why are there so many people rabidly opposed to push-to-talk? I have some irl friends who get mad at ME when i say I don't want to hear their keyboards pounding away at max speed, or their dogs barking in the background, or their babies crying. Like actually MAD when I mention that I can't heard poo poo because of their loving loud-rear end background. What the gently caress? It's not that hard to just press a button when you want to talk.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Why don't you take it up with your friends instead of whining about them on the internet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's not that hard to just press a button when you want to talk.

Anything can be hard if you're a dumb idiot baby

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

daslog posted:

There may yet be hope for all the Chinese hackers.

CNN: China could ban red-hot video game over blood and violence. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoIPSvjY

That will never happen, they're just posturing to somehow get a piece of the game in China

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why are there so many people rabidly opposed to push-to-talk? I have some irl friends who get mad at ME when i say I don't want to hear their keyboards pounding away at max speed, or their dogs barking in the background, or their babies crying. Like actually MAD when I mention that I can't heard poo poo because of their loving loud-rear end background. What the gently caress? It's not that hard to just press a button when you want to talk.

I get you man. It's horrible. Some people say "I'm not good enough to push to talk and play the game at the same time" :what:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Why don't you take it up with your friends instead of whining about them on the internet

i have and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, thanks for the contribution

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Some percentage of the time, someone will forget to hit push to talk while they do a callout. How many loud bags of chips is avoiding this worth?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just turn these people down, but my real life friends aren't that obnoxious. I also usually mute them in discord after they die, because they usually don't hear people over the sound of their babies and dogs.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Team kill them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's bad when you set discord to lower the volume of other programs when someone speaks and someone has an open mic and they keep breathing too hard while eating chips

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixnBIjOIRQ

A week behind, but still good.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It is pretty drat annoying to be in a tense situation, then suddenly the dead guy using voice activation is slamming away on his keyboard with tons of static and slamming noises in the background and you get shot by someone you couldn't hear walk right up to you.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I have a coworker with terrible allergies and an open mic. He sniffles constantly and and I hate him for it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Not to mention some people just have lovely voices. I'd prefer if they used the first free voice modulator they find on Google

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Red Red Blue posted:

That will never happen, they're just posturing to somehow get a piece of the game in China

How on Earth can you say "this will never happen?" This is a nation that has banned Google, Facebook and Amazon from within its borders. They can put whatever they want behind the Great Firewall and it just happens. It might be a free market, but it's a profoundly autocratic country.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

loving sweet with the Stranger Things theme, very topical.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, the cheating has been pretty bad in NA squads as of late. Feels like ppl are shooting through walls now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

YOU BETTER HIDE! YOU BETTER RUN AND HIDE! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So is there no aim penalty for being in mid-air / jumping or are these just favorable clips making it look easy?

• Locked thread