Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zore posted:

Mortal Empires 1 doesn't feature the WH1 races unless you own WH1 or the DLC they're in.

Like they're enemies on the map, but if you only own WH2 you can only play as those factions.

You also have to ask yourself...how much do you care about the WH3 factions? You need to buy WH2 anyway, ME already features the vast majority of the WHF universe, is it really worth waiting for...what? Ogres, Chaos Dwarves, four flavors of Daemons, and maaaaybe Kislev? Sure those things will be cool and I’m looking forward to them but none of them feel worth waiting another year for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, literally the only thing I'm looking forward to in 3 is like Ogres and an out-of-nowhere Halfling faction or something.

2 is getting all the best races; Lizards, Rats and Tomb Kings.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zore posted:

Yeah, literally the only thing I'm looking forward to in 3 is like Ogres and an out-of-nowhere Halfling faction or something.

2 is getting all the best races; Lizards, Rats and Tomb Kings.

The best way to judge how good a faction is by their facial hair and fancy hats. With this in mind, Chaos Dwarves are the best race ever and will be included in game 3.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Building an artillery heavy army as the Dwarves, it's really frustrating that the AI seems to be able to predict the trajectory off all my shots and serpentine out of the way at the last minute.

It's like a goddamn Ork ballet.

You gotta take more arty and split fire across multiple units; watch that prediction ability go to complete poo poo as the AI is overwhelmed and tries to reform ranks while getting shot at by a billion cannons.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I find elite units really hard to use or at least I can't tell how effective they've been vs how just regular troops would have been in the same battle. The more expensive cavalry especially, stuff like the higher tier brett and the dragon princes, I'm charging them into the flanks and pulling them out or at least trying to but half of them get stuck in the melee and killed usually and they end the battle with 45 kills and nearly dead or they've routed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

You gotta take more arty and split fire across multiple units; watch that prediction ability go to complete poo poo as the AI is overwhelmed and tries to reform ranks while getting shot at by a billion cannons.

Is there a command to tell my artillery to stay put if a target goes out of range? I normally keep most of my artillery on fire at will because several times I've designated a target and the morons manning the grudge thrower will decide to drag it through my front line into the middle of a horde of orks because the target I designated ran away and I didn't notice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is there a command to tell my artillery to stay put if a target goes out of range? I normally keep most of my artillery on fire at will because several times I've designated a target and the morons manning the grudge thrower will decide to drag it through my front line into the middle of a horde of orks because the target I designated ran away and I didn't notice.

Guard mode, works for all ranged units.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Guard Mode. It's the little shield icon in the bottom row of the screen. It basically means Do Not Pursue Lu Bu

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What was the timeline for WHIII again? I thought I read it was at least a year or two away, what with the historical one up next.

I hope it's China, so they cynically port all the models to the definitely not happening unless I give Sega a giant bag of money Cathay expansion.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

One thing I found out the hard way as Dark Elves is if you want your ranged line (mainly Darkshards) to stand closer to your main line, you've got to turn off skirmish mode. They'll have that nasty habit of always trying to back up to get a shot, but never actually take that shot.

I don't really trust the AI to have them move back automatically in a decent fashion if I put them forward of my main line for extra range.

That being said, you should probably leave skirmish mode on your Dark Ark Corsairs with Handbows because that's how they should work until the ammo is gone. They are significantly less poo poo than Darkshards at melee though.

Also, Malekith with all of the baseline infantry buffs creates a very dead 'ard and cheap army to play around the map with (they're solid line infantry with these buffs, let alone their insane cost-effectiveness), but do keep a few specialized infantry (Witch Elves, Black Guards, and Executioners) around for when poo poo hits the fan/so you can flank and murder by the hundreds.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

Mortal Empires 1 doesn't feature the WH1 races unless you own WH1 or the DLC they're in.

Like they're enemies on the map, but if you only own WH2 you can only play as those factions.

I only wanna play as the Empire or Vampy so that's fine.

Though, Lizardmen and Skaven do interest me. It'll be like 20 bucks by time WH3 comes out anyway so

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If ME is all you're interested in waiting until it's patched up to spec is a good idea at the very least.

The vortex campaign is decent, though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Someone a page or more back posted about their tactic of bringing 2-3 plague priests to summon a frontline instead of bringing one and i thought "lol thats loving retarded".

Not only does it work, really it's effective and all the fun poo poo you can do with the Skaven rooster loving never ceases to surprise me. Another Skrolk campaign it is then!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imo

Total War: Dominions 5

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yessssss, I didn't realize how much I wanted that untill you mentioned it!

Give me turkey shapeshifters mindblasting dragon pretender-gods.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Imo

Total War: Dominions 5

Legitimately the only Total War spin-off that may beat Warhammer Fantasy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

I have always, and likely will always, just run armies of economically efficient troops that get good red bonuses from their lords (state troops, lothern sea guard, multiple stacks of clan rats, etc.) and bury my enemies under mounds of bodies.

I'm not sure I would consider Sea Guard economically efficient. Worse in melee than basic spearmen (due to manpower) worse at shooting than basic archers (due to range), considerably more expensive in upkeep than both.

Pound for pound going 1:2 spearmen to archers is probably going to be more efficient.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Phi230 posted:

I kinda think I'm gonna skip Warhammer 2 because I really only want it for Mortal Empires, and I know in like a year they'll come out with Warhammer 3 anyway with all 3 games combined.

I'm playing Napoleon for the time being

Wrong bad and dumb thinking

Mortal Empires is great except for the gddamn turn times, 40+seconds is just too long

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

Wrong bad and dumb thinking

Mortal Empires is great except for the gddamn turn times, 40+seconds is just too long

Also chaos and the lack of foundation update.

It's bigger and that's neat but otherwise a backward step on the WH1 campaign.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else noticed that you get a lot more money from post-battle loot as one of the new races compared to if you play one of the old world races in Mortal Empires? In my Dwarf and Empire campaign I was lucky if I got over a 1000 even after a major battle, but as Last Defenders and Morathi even easy battles give me 1500-2500 gold.

This seems very wierd.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phi230 posted:

This is an AI cheat that goes all the way back to like Shogun 2

yeah both the people who use arty in shogun 2 can talk about it

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Purple Sun of Xereus seems way more potent now, too. Exploding gobbos and savage orcs like woah. Really love what they've done with magic.

Terrorgheists with breath attacks are bullshit good, too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hryme posted:

Anyone else noticed that you get a lot more money from post-battle loot as one of the new races compared to if you play one of the old world races in Mortal Empires? In my Dwarf and Empire campaign I was lucky if I got over a 1000 even after a major battle, but as Last Defenders and Morathi even easy battles give me 1500-2500 gold.

This seems very wierd.

Both Skaven and Lizardmen have skills, techs, or buildings that boost post-battle loot income, and per your experience so do the Dark Elves. I guess it's a thematic thing shared across all of them, though I can't speak for High Elves.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sassassin posted:

Also chaos and the lack of foundation update.

It's bigger and that's neat but otherwise a backward step on the WH1 campaign.

Chaos is easily fixed with mods but lack of foundation is a bummer yeah.

If you put in the tiny modicum of effort necessary to find a mod that fixes Chaos I’d say it’s a great campaign. Yes, you shouldn’t need to fix it with mods but it’s easy to do so. :shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Is it possible to mod in the RoR units from the foundation update? I really want them flaming treemen again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Plavski posted:

Is it possible to mod in the RoR units from the foundation update? I really want them flaming treemen again.

You could probably do it, though it would take a significant amount of work. It'll be much easier just to wait for the update to release.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Plavski posted:

Pretty sure they're a radious unit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

sassassin posted:

Pretty sure they're a radious unit.

I wish.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure I would consider Sea Guard economically efficient. Worse in melee than basic spearmen (due to manpower) worse at shooting than basic archers (due to range), considerably more expensive in upkeep than both.

Pound for pound going 1:2 spearmen to archers is probably going to be more efficient.

Wrong.

Seaguards beat Spearmen in melee due to slightly higher stats and you want to phase out Spearmen ASAP. Running a core of SGs is economic because stack slots are money and turns spent recovering are also money and you can melt opposing armies before lines meet with the sheer ranged firepower youll be packing if you go SG core

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SickZip posted:

Wrong.

Seaguards beat Spearmen in melee due to slightly higher stats and you want to phase out Spearmen ASAP. Running a core of SGs is economic because stack slots are money and turns spent recovering are also money and you can melt opposing armies before lines meet with the sheer ranged firepower youll be packing if you go SG core

12 units of archers will do that, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had one battle where a big seaguard contingent (inherited from confederating) was beneficial, when a stack of dark elves with a shitload of dark riders flanked and my backline took a few charges. Otherwise prefer basic archers for added range and much reduced cost (even when armoured).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I prefer Seaguard over Spearmen cause when they finish off all the large units/cavalry they can just turn around and just start firing arrows instead of doing dirty work like some kind of wood elf.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What is the secret to success on a campaign map as Lizardmen? I can't get stable on Very Hard with them like I've done with all the other factions, although I think Mazdamundi just has a really tough start, especially in the ME campaign so maybe I need to try Kroq'gar. I'm caught in this weird zone where if I can get a army of mostly Saurus units I'd probably be fine, but I still have half an army of Skink's that I can't afford to replace and every fight I can win but don't have enough punching power left over to fight back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

I prefer Seaguard over Spearmen cause when they finish off all the large units/cavalry they can just turn around and just start firing arrows instead of doing dirty work like some kind of wood elf.

They'll be exhausted when half the enemy forces rally and attack from every direction at once!

The versatility is nice and I was excited about it before playing them but you pay a premium for it and I'm not sure it's terribly cost efficient. Even fully buffed they're pretty bad fighters (for an elf) lacking ap damage.

When High Elves get their elite archers they'll fall even further out of favour.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

12 units of archers will do that, too.

A force with 12 archers will get torn up by if anything slips through. Its a fragile compositions that can work but suffers from being brittle. Youre trading off endurance for massive alpha strike. When somethings beats your alpha strike, whether through speed, size, sheer toughness, or numbers, then youre in trouble.

SGs have the same alpha strike but theyre not brittle. Theyre actually strong against alot of the things that can beat mass archery and can trade well against most of the rest.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 30, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nessin posted:

What is the secret to success on a campaign map as Lizardmen? I can't get stable on Very Hard with them like I've done with all the other factions, although I think Mazdamundi just has a really tough start, especially in the ME campaign so maybe I need to try Kroq'gar. I'm caught in this weird zone where if I can get a army of mostly Saurus units I'd probably be fine, but I still have half an army of Skink's that I can't afford to replace and every fight I can win but don't have enough punching power left over to fight back.

I found kroq’s start much easier since you can field a full Saurus stack incredibly early and basically steamroll over everyone right off the bat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I found kroq’s start much easier since you can field a full Saurus stack incredibly early and basically steamroll over everyone right off the bat

Yeah. I don't know why but it seems like people don't pump their first stacks to 20 of what's good right off the bat. I usually spend turn one getting three more of whatever works before I start battles.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Interesting. The Badlands and the deserts of the Southlands are all favorable climates for the Vampires, meaning you now have the option of hellmarching the south and murdering all the stunties. Brofist Grimgor and go dwarf tossing, it's a blast.

Incidentally, Mannfred is even more potent now that his spells got a buff. Purple Sun alone can net you hundreds of kills on a single cast, if you drop it on a blob.

I'm actually really enjoying the changes to the Vampire campaign. Magic has a lot more oomph, there's more options for expansion (and knocking out Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin really seems to kneecap the dwarves), it's good poo poo.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 30, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gonkish posted:

Interesting. The Badlands and the deserts of the Southlands are all favorable climates for the Vampires, meaning you now have the option of hellmarching the south and murdering all the stunties. Brofist Grimgor and go dwarf tossing, it's a blast.

Incidentally, Mannfred is even more potent now that his spells got a buff. Purple Sun alone can net you hundreds of kills on a single cast, if you drop it on a blob.

I'm actually really enjoying the changes to the Vampire campaign. Magic has a lot more oomph, there's more options for expansion (and knocking out Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin really seems to kneecap the dwarves), it's good poo poo.

Playing as empire and dwarfs its basically death if you don't go in and control the vampires directly. It's easy enough to fend off orcs at Karaz a Karak and that area, but the vampires will start to destroy Zhufbar and take their territory if you leave them. I actually feel like crushing vampires early is the key to control for dwarfs and Empire since cleaning them out result in a massive stable area where you are blessed with a powerful ally for the rest of the game. Once I cleaned out Vamps I was strength 3 and dwarfs were 1, then I rebuilt my armies and consolidated the territories around and we became Empire 1 Dwarfs 2 and started to make the Old World a safe and happy place for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
One thing that's bothered me since the first game, what's up the skeleton walk animation? Did the animation team run out of time so they just copy pasted it for every soldier? And has anyone found a mod that gives them a bit more a varied walk?