Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are we using pwn again

it's epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when the gently caress is that Spider-Man game coming out lol

as if to answer that question, a story trailer dropped and said next year

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

One time I had the choice of borrowing either Killer7 or that weird butt game PN03 from a friend and I picked Killer7 (which was the correct choice???)

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Jesus, the new Last of Us Part II trailer is brutal as gently caress.

you weren't kidding, jeez

dramatization of what it's like to work at Naughty Dog

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

One time I had the choice of borrowing either Killer7 or that weird butt game PN03 from a friend and I picked Killer7 (which was the correct choice???)

pn03's insanely boring so yeah

i've seen people mention that it gets good once you master the controls but uh. there's not really anything to master. it's loving nothing. pn03 is like a barely featured prototype for the part of vanquish where it is a game where you shoot things

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

As the only person to finish PN03, other than the guy who wrote the GamsFAQs guide, you made a wise choice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

publishko posted:

you weren't kidding, jeez

dramatization of what it's like to work at Naughty Dog

I read this spoiler without having seen the trailer and hope it's not a James Corden-esque joke

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

The idea that people consider SotC to be an ugly rear end game is loving bizarre to me

the problem was not the art style, it is the fuckugly PS2

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually the other thing about this conversation I find weird is I don't think that gen has really aged that badly overall.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

That line was like one of the best things about that game

The Colonel posted:

i've seen people mention that it gets good once you master the controls but uh. there's not really anything to master. it's loving nothing. pn03 is like a barely featured prototype for the part of vanquish where it is a game where you shoot things

Lol, sounds like they were trying to justify their crappy purchase.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/30/16571230/last-of-us-part-2-trailer-violence-women

i thought the last of us part 2 trailer was super good tho im probably part of the problem

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ostentatious posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/30/16571230/last-of-us-part-2-trailer-violence-women

i thought the last of us part 2 trailer was super good tho im probably part of the problem

Media is really scared of portraying women in truly upsettingly violent situations if said women are committing the violence so I say go all out ND.

edit: Also wow gently caress a fight for survival where both parties have agency is NOT comparable to domestic abuse. What is this article's writer on.

Nina fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 30, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ostentatious posted:

This entire article comes across as “why is the trailer to the sequel to a game known for featuring deeply disturbing acts of violence so disturbing and violent????”

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I read this spoiler without having seen the trailer and hope it's not a James Corden-esque joke

nah, i'm making a joke about how working there is apparently brutal (crunch time, etc.)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's good for violence in media to be brutal and make you uncomfortable and not glorified

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I thought they were amazing back in 2005 or whenever. Slow framerates but that was typical of the PS2 generation.

There were plenty of games that ran at stable 30/60fps in that gen. Even at the time people pointed out SotC as exceptionally chunky in that regard.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Whoa another close one! Almost clicked a Polygon link!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

the problem was not the art style, it is the fuckugly PS2

:staredog:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ostentatious posted:

im probably part of the problem

If you read a polygon article you don't have to wonder about this :razz:

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

it's good for violence in media to be brutal and make you uncomfortable and not glorified

I recall being a bit weirded out by the Sony E3 crowd cheering and whooping about a dude's face getting smashed in in the first Last of Us demo so I bet this was one of their goals to emphasize this time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DLC Inc posted:

clicked this expecting the russian roulette scene from Killer7 but this is just as good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnd0N9hYrE

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

If you read a polygon article you don't have to wonder about this :razz:

haha

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Polygon is so bizarre. They produce all that fun video content but the actual articles suck.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Colonel posted:

I feel like once every few years I hear someone say that pn03 is the perfect game. I don't get it at all because it's such a nothing game. It's like a Haydee that's afraid to commit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Killer7 is really great and someone in GBS bought me a steam game a few months ago for being able to rattle off it's (totally insane, barely-touched-on-in-game) plot offhand

I agree with this so hard

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nina posted:

Polygon is so bizarre. They produce all that fun video content but the actual articles suck.
the most hosed up thing is that you can't attribute that to just the writing staff being different, because there are plenty of bad articles written by the Funny Video People too

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Nina posted:

They have a video team and an editorial team. The video team make fun stuff like Monster Factory and Video Game Theatre, while the editorial team cranks out garbage about how "use X to hug your wife" normalizes violence against women, and how Hellblade's insights on mental health hurts the community because it wasn't exactly the same as the psychosis of the writer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUz539AeC5Y

New game from Sucker Punch :stoked:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand: that article isn't well-written and it's par for the course for Polygon.

But I also thought it was a bad trailer. It didn't make me want to play the game in the least. One part of that article actually rang true for me: the trailer focused almost entirely on brutal violence. It didn't set up much plot or setting, or show us gameplay, or anything like that. What it did set up was tone, and I'm not interested in something that relentlessly brutal. I feel safe in assuming that the game itself will have a more varied tone and have more going on than just people murdering each other horribly, but if that's the case, what the hell were they trying to show off with that trailer?

Compare to the game's reveal trailer from last year. It focused on setting up tone as well, and while it's bleak, it ultimately focuses on the characters in the aftermath of the violence, rather than the brutality of the violence itself. It felt tonally true to The Last of Us as a game.

The first trailer made me want to play a follow-up to The Last of Us that I didn't think I wanted to exist in the first place. This new one just makes me wonder what the point of making a sequel at all is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a good trailer bc it makes you not want to play another terrible naughty dog game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still pissed about Jak II...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

This new one just makes me wonder what the point of making a sequel at all is.

*cough* :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: :20bux: *cough*

Yeah, I don't know either.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

gently caress Jak II tbh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nina posted:

gently caress Jak II tbh

Speaking of ugly PS2 games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
out of all the good as hell games that came out this year i really think AC:O is the best. Watch_Dogs 2 and now AC:O, the series is on a roll, too bad the next one will likely be boring again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I loved The Last of Us. I didn't think it needed a sequel. I still don't think it needs one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, Really, The Last of Us This Time, Last Time There Were More Of Us We Weren't Aware Of.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

*cough* :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: :20bux: *cough*

Yeah, I don't know either.

Fair, but really that's going to be the underlying motivation for any big-budget game that gets made. But at least other Naughty Dog sequels have accomplished something. Hell, I liked Uncharted 4 a lot and it did new things with its characters, had a satisfying conclusion, all that good stuff.

If this Paris Games Week trailer is at all indicative of what TLOU2 is like, then it seems like all they have to say is "it's like TLOU, but everything's even worse this time, so buckle up for 'humans are the real monsters' yet again." And if it's not indicative at all, then it's a bad trailer for a different reason, because all it did was show us a bunch of characters we don't recognize murdering each other.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I loved The Last of Us. I didn't think it needed a sequel. I still don't think it needs one.

:same:

I was on board after the reveal trailer but I'm right back into extreme skepticism territory after this one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got in trouble for playing Jak II because there a part like 30 minutes in where Daxter gets drunk and starts staring at somebody's boobs and they zoom in and linger on her cleavage for a bit right when my mom walked past the tv and I had to return it. Wasted my rental for the weekend. gently caress you naughty dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like once every few years I hear someone say that pn03 is the perfect game. I don't get it at all because it's such a nothing game. It's like a Haydee that's afraid to commit.

it's literally the result of capcom handing off five games to shinji mikami and pn03 being the only one that he both didn't care about and didn't have anyone to manage it for him. killer7 got suda51, viewtiful joe got hideki kamiya, resident evil 4 got shinji mikami, project phoenix got canned, and pn03 got a couple of people who maybe wanted to make a game but no leadership who could actually spare the time to helm it but they squeezed out enough of an idea for a game that capcom published it

• Locked thread