Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Psn just sent me a bunch of free SOTC avatars for playing on PS3

How bout give it to me free since I've paid for it twice already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Psn just sent me a bunch of free SOTC avatars for playing on PS3
Goddamn American rewards. *Almost* gonna bring out the old PS3 and grind those trophies if it means avatars but I think I'll just wait.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Metal Gear Solid V is the best game this generation not on a Nintendo device.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, I guess, they don't really have much in common other than making you commit to attacks rather than being able to cancel out of everything.
For me the most salient difference between Monster Hunter and an RPG is the complete abandonment of the concept of xp and character skills. Getting better equipment, and getting good as a player, are the only ways to advance.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kirios posted:

Metal Gear Solid V is the best game this generation not on a Nintendo device.

Pretty sure my Top 10 of 2017, even excluding all Nintendo games, are all better than MGS 5.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh hey Target is doing b2g1 right now, can't tell if it applies to in-store, maybe just online orders, but it includes preorders

Do they charge immediately or when they ship? Also, is the online store still independent of their retail stores? Last time they did this b2g1 free thing, they delayed one of my pre-order items for weeks even though my local store had 10+ copies they wouldn't give me one. I haven't shopped at target since.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 31, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I want to hate Sony for rereleasing* Shadow of the Colossus again but it sure looks good...and I wouldn't really mind playing SotC again...

* Yes I know it's not technically a remaster shut up

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I couldn't play the PS3 remaster because the original was still burned so deep into my nerves it was like I had never stopped playing, i.e. it was really boring.

Hopefully a few more years will do the trick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

Monster Hunter is basically Dark Souls-y enemy pattern recognition with the grinding of a JRPG right?

Monster hunter predates dark souls by a good number of years and has pretty much remained its own thing. There's a lot of pattern recognition and people who like dark souls will probably like monster hunter and vice versa, but it plays very differently in practice, especially if you use a bowgun or a more technical weapon. You have very few invincibility frames without a certain skill, so monster attacks tend to come out slower than dark souls and you need to see them coming and get out of the way in advance. It's almost all 10-40 minute fights with giant monsters.

Your character itself has no changing stats so you get more powerful and change what you can do completely by making different gear. Which you mostly do by chopping up the same monster into parts enough times that you have everything you need to make a weapon or armor set based on it. Those monster bits are random so that's the grindy part. It never felt overly grindy to me though because the actual gameplay that makes up the grind is a pretty hard and good action game. I'm super :stoked: for world

Rinkles posted:

Why are you such a twat?

just ignore that one poster and watch as most of the random hostility in the thread instantly goes away!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Peel posted:

I couldn't play the PS3 remaster because the original was still burned so deep into my nerves it was like I had never stopped playing, i.e. it was really boring.

Hopefully a few more years will do the trick.
I don’t think that feeling ever goes away. I sometimes start playing my favorite games from the PS1 era again but stop after an hour or two because they’re still so familiar.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many of my favorite games are ones I've played only once and would prefer not to replay because I'd rather just think about them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Digirat posted:

people who like dark souls will probably like monster hunter and vice versa

It's worth mentioning that that's usually the case but not always. For whatever reason I like Monster Hunter despite it being the sum of a whole bunch of parts I don't like. I don't like Souls games or grindy loot collection or most games that are light on story, but goddamn do I like some Monster Hunter. I'm pretty ambivalent toward World and haven't followed it at all because if they've changed enough of the formula it may put me off it.

That said, at least speaking for third and fourth gen, everyone should give it a shot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Meldonox posted:

It's worth mentioning that that's usually the case but not always. For whatever reason I like Monster Hunter despite it being the sum of a whole bunch of parts I don't like. I don't like Souls games or grindy loot collection or most games that are light on story, but goddamn do I like some Monster Hunter. I'm pretty ambivalent toward World and haven't followed it at all because if they've changed enough of the formula it may put me off it.

That said, at least speaking for third and fourth gen, everyone should give it a shot.

imo you should start getting hype for world; i was initially reluctant but everything they've shown after that weak e3 trailer makes it look like the changes are just good quality-of-life stuff that should've been in monhun for awhile but at its core it's still very much the same formula as the past couple of games

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samuringa posted:

God no, let historical games be historical. The last thing we need is another Assassin's Creed metaplot.
From this video it seems like its going to be straight historical
http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/10/30/ghost-of-tsushima-sucker-punch-developer-diary
Always great to hear from Nate Fox

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

achillesforever6 posted:

From this video it seems like its going to be straight historical
http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/10/30/ghost-of-tsushima-sucker-punch-developer-diary
Always great to hear from Nate Fox
Youtube version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgT4vzuReA

He's samurai turned ninja? (they don't address any story/character stuff in the video)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
An American made game on Japanese history will certainly be interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I'm absolutely on board with this one, even though I have zero experience with the series.

Rinkles posted:

Youtube version

He's samurai turned ninja? (they don't address any story/character stuff in the video)

Yeah, I was definitely getting ninja vibes from that trailer, like maybe more Tenchu than Way of the Samurai.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 31, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meldonox posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite. I've always wanted to like Monster Hunter. Love the style and animation and concept but I always get really bored actually playing it. I'm inclined to give it one more shot just because the new one looks so good though...

Also, fair enough if you don't like Souls but calling it grindy loot collection is not an accurate description. It's possible I read your post wrong there though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Rinkles posted:

Youtube version

This pitch is losing me hard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For anyone not entirely sold on Monster Hunter World, there's going to be a PS+ subscriber beta.

quote:

Available starting December 9, players from around the world can experience three fearsome quests as they join up with other hunters online or take on the beasts alone in the exclusive beta for PlayStation Plus users. Running for three days, hunters participating in the beta can tackle the hungry Great Jagras, a scavenger capable of swallowing other monsters whole, or the fiery and territorial Anjanath, both of which roam the dense and complex eco-system within the Ancient Forest. For those feeling brave enough they can adventure to the desert land of the Wildspire Waste where the armored Barroth can be found lurking in the muddy waters, waiting to unleash its devastating charge attack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

This pitch is losing me hard.

The trailer that I watched makes it look like you play as a Samurai whose village is destroyed by a Mongol invasion, and he goes full guerilla one man war ninja. If the game has a skill tree that lets you choose how much you want to be a ninja vs a samurai, it will be really cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

The trailer that I watched makes it look like you play as a Samurai whose village is destroyed by a Mongol invasion, and he goes full guerilla one man war ninja. If the game has a skill tree that lets you choose how much you want to be a ninja vs a samurai, it will be really cool.

This proposal is the first skill tree I've ever thought sounded cool and good. I fuckin hate skill trees, especially the ones in inFamous.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think it's just like, he's trying to sell me this idea that simply saying "you play a samurai" will fill me with a constipating sense of wonderment.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I think it's just like, he's trying to sell me this idea that simply saying "you play a samurai" will fill me with a constipating sense of wonderment.

Yeah, those talking heads always do a bad job of selling it, but the art does look pretty rad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This proposal is the first skill tree I've ever thought sounded cool and good. I fuckin hate skill trees, especially the ones in inFamous.

I mean, that's kind of what Nioh's skill tree is like, but Nioh is very different type of game. At least within the genre of third person melee games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Probably been mentioned already, but Target has a B2G1 deal going on that includes pre-orders on games like Spider-Man, God of War, Skyrim VR, and Far Cry 5.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah, those talking heads always do a bad job of selling it, but the art does look pretty rad.

I hope the gameplay is focused on tight one on one sword fights, but the trailer and the synopsis seems pretty bent towards your guy becoming a ninja.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I hope the gameplay is focused on tight one on one sword fights, but the trailer and the synopsis seems pretty bent towards your guy becoming a ninja.
Funny you should say that; the samurai desire for one on one swordfights is why the Mongols kicked the samurai’s asses in those battles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

SOTC remake looks fantastic, I'll still maintain that something seems lost in translation in regards to Team Ico's style though. I' m still really excited for it.

I dunno man, I think it pretty much looks like the most flawless remake of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-eiJHiLhOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjWo3absKA

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can’t wait to buy SOTC for the third time. The Last Guardian was a special experience, but it got so intense and emotionally charged at the end that it doesn’t have the same replay value.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the truth posted:

I can’t wait to buy SOTC for the third time. The Last Guardian was a special experience, but it got so intense and emotionally charged at the end that it doesn’t have the same replay value.

Agreed. If I play that game again I will cry like that video of the russian girl who played it. I can't handle that poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno man, I think it pretty much looks like the most flawless remake of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-eiJHiLhOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjWo3absKA

Don't get me wrong it really does look great, but the color palette looks a bit off and it kind of surpasses the stylized look of a team Ico game into looking real. I know it's :spergin: as hell but it's noticeable to me.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited for it. Bluepoint is probably the best at what they do and it will almost surely be awesome. I just can't shake that it doesn't look quite right.

I think it's mostly the way wander looks. He just looks too much like a real person to me :shrug:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The only reason I wouldn't want a LoU sequel is I want Joel and Ellie to be ok :ohdear:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So far Nioh is the best samuraiman simulation ever made.

I like it and games like Metal Gear Rising, Bloodborne etc. because the fighting is really intense and reading your opponent is half the fight.

I wonder if SP even tries to capture the same sort of intense swordfighting or if it’s just Infamous/Asssassins Creed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WaltherFeng posted:

I wonder if SP even tries to capture the same sort of intense swordfighting

With all due respect to them, don't know if they have the talent

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

So far Nioh is the best samuraiman simulation ever made.

I like it and games like Metal Gear Rising, Bloodborne etc. because the fighting is really intense and reading your opponent is half the fight.

I wonder if SP even tries to capture the same sort of intense swordfighting or if it’s just Infamous/Asssassins Creed

Way of the Samurai 3 is a much better "samurai simulation" than Nioh. I haven't played WotS 4.
Nioh is a great game, but it's just an action game, and doesn't simulate "being a samurai" nearly as much as Way of the Samurai which gives a lot of story context relevant to the role.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nioh is a good simulation of an entry level office job. Doing the same thing 100 times and waiting for that sweet paycheck that was actually the same as the last one and will always be.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Any indication that the SotC remake will have the deleted Colossi or is it just an improvement on the PS3 upres without Ico?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They've stated It will not have the deleted colossi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arbite posted:

Any indication that the SotC remake will have the deleted Colossi or is it just an improvement on the PS3 upres without Ico?

It is a straight remake and strictly faithful to the original, even down to the sound effects.