Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Amazon is the only place I can get free shipping so, sorry NCIX. :(

In Canadian Internet news, the monopoly up here is getting $50M from the feds to make Nunavut's access a little less lovely.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674northwestel_gets_50_million_from_ottawa_to_improve_nunavut_internet/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally! Pay $2000 and they'll fly you in a gig of internet once a month.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lately I've been trading video games back and forth with a friend using an external drive because they just keep getting bigger and bigger. It feels like I'm in high school again!

Except now I'm paying for the games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
TekSavvy said they're upgrading my service from a 400gb cap to unlimited at no extra cost. :getin:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Finally! Pay $2000 and they'll fly you in a gig of internet once a month.

It'd be cheaper to rent one of those Google cell tower balloons. :newlol:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Yikes, I kinda wish I knew about all the NCIX bullshit before putting an 8700k on backorder there. :smith:

Can I at least expect it to show up. Like, at all?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hard to say, but I had ordered a 1080 TI from them near launch and they were never able to fulfill the order. Even by the point where all other stores had a regular amount of stock on hand at all times, NCIX was still all "We're backordered, with no projected date of delivery." And then even beyond that, they would be "Okay, your slated to get one from our next delivery", and then I didn't, and they told me again "Oh, sorry, yeah its' the next delivery!", and I still didn't get it. Some of us on the NCIX forums were trying to puzzle it out, and we had figured that they were allotting what stock they did get randomly, as people who had ordered well after had gotten their shipments first.

Eventually I just gave up and walked into a Memory Express and walked out with the card 10 minutes later with no fuss.

I guess for you it depends on how much they've pissed off Intel and whether Intel wants to bother sending them anything.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ugh, NCIX news loving kills me, but isn't surprising at all. They were my main tech provider for ages, and all of my builds have had parts from them.

How long did they own DirectCanada for? My build process was always "find poo poo on NCIX because it has a usable website, search model numbers on directCanada and buy at a $150 discount", and I was very sad when I got the same garbage service from both of them during my last build.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

NCIX used to be great when I was in Quebec and could get computer parts tax free.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

TekSavvy said they're upgrading my service from a 400gb cap to unlimited at no extra cost. :getin:

Got a similar email from Shaw recently. Bout loving time Internet 150 became unlimited.

(yes yes I know, I have Shaw cable internet, I am the worst)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Shaw never really enforced caps unless you were the highest user in a saturated neighbourhood and even then they gave you 3 friendly reminders to stop using so much internet before they increased your price.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Does anyone know how I'd find the IP address of my cable modem so I can log into it and be disppointed that its a useless piece of poo poo that is firmware-incompatible with any other TPIA I'd consider moving to now that its paid off?

Its a Huawei MT130U if that helps.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Looks like it's 192.168.100.1 per this thread

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That's it, thank you.

Looks like I'm going with start.ca's $60 60/10 come December simply out of a desire not to pay any more modem rental fees until bottom-teir docsis 3.0 is declared illegal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Looks like it's [REDACTED] per this thread

Actually that's the address from my cablemodem and I'd please ask you to edit it out of your post before I suffer another hacking attempt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
OMG mine too!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

That's it, thank you.

Looks like I'm going with start.ca's $60 60/10 come December simply out of a desire not to pay any more modem rental fees until bottom-teir docsis 3.0 is declared illegal.

I have 3 modems in my house that I bought over the years. I am never ever gonna buy another modem. None of them outlasted even the ROI period that I would have gotten by buying them and not renting. gently caress'em, i am only renting from now on and let them keep that junk when the new junk comes along.
Actually no, one of them did. I saved a whooping $20-ish over the bunch years that i had it. Meh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I've said it before, but that's my biggest issue with Teksavvy's purchase model. I think the only modem in seven years that actually came out ahead on ROI was my ST516v6

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I've said it before, but that's my biggest issue with Teksavvy's purchase model. I think the only modem in seven years that actually came out ahead on ROI was my ST516v6

Teksavvy is kinda being shafted by the incumbents, Rogers in particular. There isn't much they can do when they have no insight into planned access changes before they are rolled out, or when an incumbent simply doesn't follow the CRTC mandate at all, and isn't held to account for it in any way.

I've done okay with them, though. The savings over Bell/Rogers has paid for the devices I've purchased and then some. That's not the main reason I switched, anyway.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I get that they have no input on the planning and network upgrades, but other independents (e.g. Start.ca) manage to offer modem rentals. Given that there's been a pretty steady churn of new specs required for new activations, it seems like something they should offer.

That said, I use Teksavvy for my mother's internet service because I already had a modem from my old 150/10 service and that's saving a significant percentage on her service since she only needs the lowest speed tier for streaming.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I get that they have no input on the planning and network upgrades, but other independents (e.g. Start.ca) manage to offer modem rentals. Given that there's been a pretty steady churn of new specs required for new activations, it seems like something they should offer.

That said, I use Teksavvy for my mother's internet service because I already had a modem from my old 150/10 service and that's saving a significant percentage on her service since she only needs the lowest speed tier for streaming.

I think Teksavvy has a rent to own pricing option now?

P.S. I wouldn't go for it, as the two current cable modems they sell for Rogers are both really crappy. They got screwed by Rogers, then screwed by the manufacturer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah, they do rent to own. It used to require something like a 50% down payment, which made no sense, but it looks like it's $0 down now.

Lol @ Technicolor modems tho

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah, they do rent to own. It used to require something like a 50% down payment, which made no sense, but it looks like it's $0 down now.

Lol @ Technicolor modems tho

You're going to be super disappointed when I tell you the Technicolor TC4400 is probably the best modem currently on the market. You can buy and use the R2 on Videotron right now, but it looks like Rogers won't approve it until the R3 revision ships in quantity, which hasn't happened yet (the R3 is the DOCSIS 3.1 certified version, same chipset, just minor adjustments and firmware updates). No ETA, but if they don't get it happening soon, they are going to get over run by Bells FTTH roll out in any decently dense market area.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No doubt it's better then the hitron puma nonsense Rogers launched their gigabit expansion with

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No doubt it's better then the hitron puma nonsense Rogers launched their gigabit expansion with

Yes, it's Broadcom based, not Intel Puma 6. Testing with it shows none of the same issues the Puma 6 based devices have.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Does Eastern ISPs actually let you use your own modem?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Does Eastern ISPs actually let you use your own modem?

Yes, TPIAs do. Rogers doesn't as far as I know, as they come with their own lovely modem that provides wifi, routing, NAT and a bunch of other (useless) services. Some modems can be put into bridge mode though, downgrading them to do only one thing and do it poorly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If any start.ca customers want that $25 referral discount just make the terrible mistake of pm'ing me your real name so I can hand it over when signing up for service in a week or two.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Volguus posted:

Yes, TPIAs do. Rogers doesn't as far as I know, as they come with their own lovely modem that provides wifi, routing, NAT and a bunch of other (useless) services. Some modems can be put into bridge mode though, downgrading them to do only one thing and do it poorly.

The Rogers Hitron modems can be put in bridge mode, after which point they're fine. They had issues with the Intel Puma chipset (IIRC everyone did), it took a couple of revisions of both the hardware and firmware to get something that worked

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
NCIX has apparently started shuttering all it's Vancouver locations. Barring some kind of miracle this is probably the beginning of the end.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Barring some kind of miracle
The rebate cheques for all those property leases they signed finally come in?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I had 1600 NCIX points from when they used to be relevant. I just used them to buy a 1 year VIP membership. I wonder if it'll come in to effect before they go bankrupt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I ordered a case and PSU from them on the weekend to pick up at the coquitlam store, wonder if that’ll happen!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

priznat posted:

I ordered a case and PSU from them on the weekend to pick up at the coquitlam store, wonder if that’ll happen!

C-c-c-chargeback!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

EngineerJoe posted:

I had 1600 NCIX points from when they used to be relevant. I just used them to buy a 1 year VIP membership. I wonder if it'll come in to effect before they go bankrupt.

i have 19970 points right now and apparently i can use them to buy clothes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

NCIX has apparently started shuttering all it's Vancouver locations. Barring some kind of miracle this is probably the beginning of the end.

End of an era :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Apparently all the Vancouver stores are closed :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yep apparently all the locations are now closed, and online orders that were in process can apparently pick up at the Richmond warehouse buuuuut I think I'll just call my CC for the chargeback. Why risk it, I think. By that I mean why risk driving to Richmond, gently caress Richmond.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Really is the end of an era. My entire life with computers has been stuff bought from NCIX :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Really is the end of an era. My entire life with computers has been stuff bought from NCIX :(

I remember the rough and tumble days of all the tiny independent retailers prior to NCIX being dominant. ATIC was probably the largest but it was loving terrible.

Go into one of these places to buy a stick or two of RAM and they would rummage around in a drawer and come out with some not in a bag or nothin. Then the next week the store would be gone or named something completely different. It was another time.. ~sagely smokes a pipe, looks wistfully into the middle distance~

gently caress where am I gonna get the case for my new build now god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Canada Computers is opening in Burnaby soon...

I haven't touched NCIX since CC became a thing in Ontario.