Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Seriously, there's so many openly Nazi/White Supremacist/Other Shithead groups and profiles on Steam it's an easier drinking game to find ones that don't have a Black Sun or a Kekestan logo plastered all over them.

But of course, Valve doesn't care as long as the service continues to print money for them.

Take this exchange I found on the Tumbls, irony Nazis are going through the lists of people playing Wolfenstein to bother them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SteelMentor posted:

Seriously, there's so many openly Nazi/White Supremacist/Other Shithead groups and profiles on Steam it's an easier drinking game to find ones that don't have a Black Sun or a Kekestan logo plastered all over them.

But of course, Valve doesn't care as long as the service continues to print money for them.

Take this exchange I found on the Tumbls, irony Nazis are going through the lists of people playing Wolfenstein to bother them:

Christ. This is some Ghostbusters remake poo poo, in that I'd not really considered buying this game but because it enrages fash so much that I might. Well, that and the fact this is meant to be good, unlike Ghostbusters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The old new one wasn't as good as the old old new one so I'm not interested in the new new one, but who the hell opens a conversation with "so hey how about them nazis cool guys eh hate the jews eh?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Neo-nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, evidently but I mean does anybody expect that to have traction with the general population?

Especially the specific section of the general population playing a game about murdering the poo poo out of nazis?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Poorly socialized loving idiots do.

See:

Guavanaut posted:

Neo-nazis.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

The old new one wasn't as good as the old old new one so I'm not interested in the new new one, but who the hell opens a conversation with "so hey how about them nazis cool guys eh hate the jews eh?"

it's kind of like spam emails with obvious typos, you want to weed out the people who won't respond at all and will just immediately block you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus they're convinced that there's a whole lot of people who think just like them and the only reason that they're not seig heiling out in the streets is because the Electric Jew* has made them terrified of the PC Police.

*If that isn't already the name of a comic book antifa superhero it absolutely should be.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The dumbass nazis are trying so hard to turn people against the good and fun Wolfenstein game, they've recently changed up their tactics though. "B-b-but you can't just kill people you disagree with!" stopped being very convincing fast, when you know, it's about the actual third reich nazis taking over, so they've instead started pulling this "W-well the game pushes commulist propaganda!" bullshit mostly because there's communists you get in with your side, whom BJ has to call "Hillbilly degenerate moonshiner bolshevik cowards" initially to kick them into action, before they come into the fold of your group of dudes as just another staple, so you know, the cromulists are apparently such high held heroic figures of the game, it just can't stop fellating them apparently! (They are heroic though, because they're another part of the nazi killin machine, but still)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's great that the internet nazis are so politically castrated their big effort is trying to shame people over what corporate media entertainment products other people choose to consume

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the game was actually about ushering in the communist utopia by murdering all the nazis I might be convinced to buy it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Yardbomb posted:

The dumbass nazis are trying so hard to turn people against the good and fun Wolfenstein game, they've recently changed up their tactics though. "B-b-but you can't just kill people you disagree with!" stopped being very convincing fast, when you know, it's about the actual third reich nazis taking over, so they've instead started pulling this "W-well the game pushes commulist propaganda!" bullshit mostly because there's communists you get in with your side, whom BJ has to call "Hillbilly degenerate moonshiner bolshevik cowards" initially to kick them into action, before they come into the fold of your group of dudes as just another staple, so you know, the cromulists are apparently such high held heroic figures of the game, it just can't stop fellating them apparently! (They are heroic though, because they're another part of the nazi killin machine, but still)

I'm curious, was there this much bitching about killing white supremacists and getting cozy with a communist-friendly resistance when Bioshock Infinite came out because that too was a big part of that game and I dont remember it being that big of a deal when it came out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Macrame_God posted:

I'm curious, was there this much bitching about killing white supremacists and getting cozy with a communist-friendly resistance when Bioshock Infinite came out because that too was a big part of that game and I dont remember it being that big of a deal when it came out.

I seem to remember some whinge about it but I wasn't really paying attention to the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macrame_God posted:

I remember there being some, but not nearly as much or as high-profile.

Of course, Bioshock Infinite itself decided to go with the very brave stance of "actually people who fight racists because they've been victims of racism are just as bad as the racists if you really think about it"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Macrame_God posted:

not really, because it's only in the last couple years that shithead gamers have been politically radicalized to harass strangers over dumb bullshit. infinite came out before gamergate, which was exploited by right wing propagandists to mobilize angry young white men

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harrow posted:

Of course, Bioshock Infinite itself decided to go with the very brave stance of "actually people who fight racists because they've been victims of racism are just as bad as the racists if you really think about it"

As the only truly neutral subject position, the middle-class white male is truly the transhistorical measure of all things. If only others could become as rational and objective as a 33-year-old suburban engineer who plays video games. Now let me tell you why feminism isn’t necessary any more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

OwlFancier posted:

If the game was actually about ushering in the communist utopia by murdering all the nazis I might be convinced to buy it.

I mean it's gettin there, big spoilers obviously.

The end of the game is your coalition of general resistance, black panthers, communists, anarchists and so on starting a new american revolution and moving to full-scale slaughter the nazis.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Harrow posted:

Was that really the message? I remember seeing one of the dumbass Tea Party groups co-opt one of the blatantly xenophobic images from the game thinking it was a good thing but getting ridiculed for it cause it wasn't something to be proudly displayed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Was that really the message? I remember seeing one of the dumbass Tea Party groups co-opt one of the blatantly xenophobic images from the game thinking it was a good thing but getting ridiculed for it cause it wasn't something to be proudly displayed.

bioshock infinite did a good thing because it set up the perfect white utopia and then immediately exposed it as being full of racist white supremacist shitheads

then, because the game was superficial and badly written, made the left wing revolutionaries also bad, as indicated when the black female revolution leader was about to shoot a young white child in the face

so instead of invoking the racist legacy of america's colonial past and manifest destiny and then making a useful point, it just resorted to a lovely "the truth is in the middle cliche" and appealed to the status quo, in a game which had you murdering people constantly

really the only good thing about bioshock infinite was the art design

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Pretty much. For most of the game you're fighting white supremacists, but eventually you start hopping timelines and end up in one where all the non-white people in Columbia have risen up and overthrown Comstock, basically destroying Columbia and killing tons of civilians in the process. Booker and Elizabeth spend a little downtime ruminating about how they're just as bad as each other and "they deserve each other" (actual quote from the dialog there). Elizabeth then has to kill the (black) leader of the resistance to stop her from killing a child in cold blood just for being the son of one of Columbia's founders.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mr Interweb posted:

It wasn't the intended message but they were tone-deaf enough to say it anyway intentionally or not.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Macrame_God posted:

Infinite decided that the minorities escaping slavery were also 100% evil, so it's kinda bad to hang your flag on.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Terrible Opinions posted:

Infinite decided that the minorities escaping slavery were also 100% evil, so it's kinda bad to hang your flag on.

hard to say if this was the biggest cliche in the plot or the unnecessarily confusing time travel/infinite parallel universes ending, which never loving works. it's the "it was all a dream" of science fiction

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

while all that is true i did get a visceral reaction to the interracial couple scene towards the beginning. bioshock infinite would've worked much better as an adventure game dealing with that society. (also the vox populi leader was never going to harm the boy, it was all some sort of setup i forget about but explained in the dlc).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SteelMentor posted:

heh, roman nazi sounds a little like my friend. he probaly says the same poo poo now :(

boner confessor posted:

bioshock infinite did a good thing because it set up the perfect white utopia and then immediately exposed it as being full of racist white supremacist shitheads

then, because the game was superficial and badly written, made the left wing revolutionaries also bad, as indicated when the black female revolution leader was about to shoot a young white child in the face

so instead of invoking the racist legacy of america's colonial past and manifest destiny and then making a useful point, it just resorted to a lovely "the truth is in the middle cliche" and appealed to the status quo, in a game which had you murdering people constantly

really the only good thing about bioshock infinite was the art design

apparently the game went through like 3 or 4 complete rebuilds and rewrites. the original story apparently was that columbia wasnt always a evil racist utopia. comstock's party took over and he made himself leader and made the place that way. the left tried to fight back but were devided by infighting and the founders so eventualy the vox populi(which was supposed to be more of a anarchist "propaganda of the deed" type deal) became the last remaining left leaning faction. but it got rewritten and made exclusively about race and here we are today. sucks because 1 is amazing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

while all that is true i did get a visceral reaction to the interracial couple scene towards the beginning. bioshock infinite would've worked much better as an adventure game dealing with that society. (also the vox populi leader was never going to harm the boy, it was all some sort of setup i forget about but explained in the dlc).

yeah. its weirdly handled at best. it kinda works but its also really dumb.
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/inside-bioshock-video-game-series-with-ken-levine-w439921

i get what he was trying to do with fitzroy, but she isnt even in it enough to have a real character, neither are the vox.

Yardbomb posted:

I mean it's gettin there, big spoilers obviously.

The end of the game is your coalition of general resistance, black panthers, communists, anarchists and so on starting a new american revolution and moving to full-scale slaughter the nazis.

and thats why machine games kicks so much rear end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't have nazi demon magic in it, not interested :colbert:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't have nazi demon magic in it, not interested :colbert:

But enough about Sargon. Wait. No this is the right thread. Carry on.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Is this the thread where SA goes full circle and decides policing the internet would be fun and practical?

I mean Valve could play whack-a-mole, so could anybody:

It's the recruiting material these groups need. Look! They banned us! Fascists!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's hella tiresome when people persist with this bizzare idea that if you work too hard to disrupt self confessed nazis you just produce more of them, followed generally by the belief that the only way to beat them is something really lame and half arsed that happens to be exactly what the poster likes most.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

It's not what I'm saying, it's what's working for them.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

All banning the one racist sub on Reddit they banned did was cause it to be reincarnated in a form self-aware enough to bring the n word to the front page a few times, something their previous sub never did as an explicitly racist group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FantasticExtrusion posted:

All banning the one racist sub on Reddit they banned did was cause it to be reincarnated in a form self-aware enough to bring the n word to the front page a few times, something their previous sub never did as an explicitly racist group.

So, yes, banning overt racism forces it undercover, this is called progress. It becomes harder to completely extirpate the more you suppress it but that doesn't mean you stop doing that.

The next step is to get people to fuckbarrel the covert racists.

In what world is shutting down people's ability to talk freely and openly about a thing a victory for them?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 31, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Is this the thread where SA goes full circle and decides policing the internet would be fun and practical?

I mean Valve could play whack-a-mole, so could anybody:

It's the recruiting material these groups need. Look! They banned us! Fascists!

What on earth are you talking about? One of the key reasons SA is what it is, is due to moderation. Moderation is essentially policing its corner of the internet. One of the key issues of the day is how various platforms have abdicated their responsibilities to moderate effectively, whether it's Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, whatever.

The concept that banning people espousing fascist dogma is itself fascistic is lazy thinking that relishes in a South Park 'both sides!!!!' approach to the world. An approach that completely lacks any nuance or intelligence.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

OwlFancier posted:

So, yes, banning overt racism forces it undercover, this is called progress. It becomes harder to completely extirpate the more you suppress it but that doesn't mean you stop doing that.

The next step is to get people to fuckbarrel the covert racists.

In what world is shutting down people's ability to talk freely and openly about a thing a victory for them?

It helps them propagandize! On the platform that they just lost? Hang on I need to rethink this

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

The fact that you don't know what I'm talking about proves my point. They stopped calling people chimpanzees and got serious.

Now they're posting lists of people's names (irl) and you don't know where they're meeting.

Goon Danton posted:

It helps them propagandize! On the platform that they just lost? Hang on I need to rethink this

When you are using the victim card as your main argument, yes it does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Becuause casual racism isn't serious...

Also nazis can't run entirely on the victim card, they're a power cult, if you keep getting dunked on constantly you're a poo poo tier nazi and nobody with half a brain's gonna sign up to your newsletter.

It's why Carlgon is such a dork, all he does is whine and take money from other dumb dorks with no life. He's the least effective nazi on the planet. Keeping them relegated to making whiney videos on the internet is what winning looks like. When you take away their money and kick them off platforms that's victory laps.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 31, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The fact that you don't know what I'm talking about proves my point.

New thread title?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The fact that you don't know what I'm talking about proves my point.

lol

"the nazis have been driven underground and dispersed, which helps them communicate with the masses, if you were as well read on trivial internet minutae as i am you would see that the nazis are still there and still being awful, on the less popular platform"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really the fun part of all this nazi-banning is that it makes them mad as hell because they are extremely online dudes who can't and won't be political offline, as it would require them to leave their bedrooms and not socialize via a screen

• Locked thread