Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tarantula posted:

One thing that's bothered me since the first game, what's up the skeleton walk animation? Did the animation team run out of time so they just copy pasted it for every soldier? And has anyone found a mod that gives them a bit more a varied walk?

The joke/reference is that they're Harryhausen skeletons. They're magically animated and walk in lock step. I think it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SickZip posted:

I hate unlocking units through tech as well. I honestly think the current system gates them too much. The high tech units you start with are cool and Id like to see that system kinda extended.

(sidenote: a mod idea Ive been toying with is some of the high tech units are available at much lower tier but capped in number and with a penalty to upkeep costs. hitting the current required tier/building just removes the cap and upkeep penalty.)

There's already a mod that limits the number of high tier units you are able to get. I wonder if you could create something that limits them similarly but allows you to recruit anything from the get-go, and buildings just increase your cap similar to the way heroes work.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tarantula posted:

One thing that's bothered me since the first game, what's up the skeleton walk animation? Did the animation team run out of time so they just copy pasted it for every soldier? And has anyone found a mod that gives them a bit more a varied walk?

It's called an 'homage'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

e; f,b

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tarantula posted:

AFAIK it's intentional. They're supposed to to be spooky Harryhausen-esque skeletons marching in lockstep.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Huh I had no idea, that's actually really neat.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tarantula posted:

1. Skeletons have no will of their own and are essentially puppets. Their synchronized walk is a mark of the Necromancer's direct control and the fact that Skeletons are the form of undead that require the most direct control
2. Its a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY&feature=youtu.be

e: thats what i get for looking up the clip

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I forget, are the soldiers of the Tomb Kings automatons like the Vampire Counts? I seem to recall that they're all independently motivated, just bound in totality to their particular king, a la Egyptian funerary rites.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tarantula posted:

Huh I had no idea, that's actually really neat.

Haha yeah, but in answer to your varied walks question, I'm fairly sure someone brought this up ages ago when TWW1 came out and that a mod was made to change it up.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

JBP posted:

Haha yeah, but in answer to your varied walks question, I'm fairly sure someone brought this up ages ago when TWW1 came out and that a mod was made to change it up.

Is there a mod that gives everyone else the skeleton animation?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I know there's one for Swordmasters.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

iirc there's a simple checkbox for each unit on the main unit tables to make them walk in sync. Trivially easy to make this happen.

One of my first mods was giving Grave Guards the synced animations + skeleton walk since I liked it so much.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
As far as Kroq Gar goes:

1: Murder the other Lizard. The province is just waaay to good and allows you to field a second stack and have some money leftover to develop provinces.
2: Assemble Saurus doomstack and murder the undead to the north.
3: Send Kroq Gars Saurus doomstack off to murder queek, have secondary half stack on rebel cleanup duty. 3 Saurus and 6 Skink Javelins/Skirmishers can deal with most rebels, even if they got a turn or 2.
4: After finishing Queek, the actual question is if you go down south to Karak Zorn or if you head straight west to get a damned port.
5: Just keep hitting things with Kroq. Noone in the area is capable of dealing with 10-12 Sauri units support by a mage, a steg and some crafty Skinks.
6: Focus the blue tree for Kroq. Your Sauri dont need help beating up people, and Kroq Gar doesnt need yellow skills to beat up people either (get Grymloq of course). Blue tree gives corruption reduction which is great because the only uncorrupted provinces will be the one of the other frog and, depending on what queek does, Karak Zorn.

Mazdamundi on difficulties harder then hard:

1: There is a fair degree of things going on which you have no control over. Basically, Chariot lady could potentially become your Elf buffer/waifu, assuming that a) momrathi doesnt kick her out of Arnhem and b) Tyrion doesnt spank her. If you get allied with her before Tyrion does something dumb, Tyrion should leave her alone (sadly, she may not leave tyrion alone).
2: Key to winning the first battles vs Norsca (before Mazdamundi has any offensive spells) is using your scar vet to soak up the Maraduer horsemen javelins. You have 3 ways of healing him, and he doesnt give much of a gently caress about javelins. While you may think that you can use the Bastiladon (nooooo, CA why did you take the solar engine away????) you should not because it rampages pretty quickly even at fairly high health. Your Sauri and Skinks are actually hurt by javelins quite a bit.
3: Second key to early Norsca battles is priorization. Basically, it goes like this: Your Kroxigors and Sauri can kill a metric ton of Norscan foot. The only dangerous melee combatants are the Norscan lords. Norscan lords do very good vs Kroxigors, so keep them away from those. Ideally, use templeguard and/or your scar veteran.
3.A. If a battle is nearly over and you still have winds of magic, use the opportunity to heal your Scar Vet or your bastilladon a bit.
4: Eat the New World colonies. Tiranoc is a much better buffer, the real estate is pretty good, and they are really easy to curbstomp. On very hard/legendary you may find it quite hard to justify sinking the money/time into colonizing monument of dawn (you lose a lot of iniative if you do that with Mazda, and a good deal of money if you do it with someone else), and taking the new world colonies means you have a port connection without doing a colonization.
5: If the stars align you can possibly take out Morathi very early. She is now much closer, and can be taken out reasonably quickly. Make sure you have a level 2 Skink building because Skink skirmishers are very good vs Dark Elfs (run at their range with them, the crossbows will try to move away, and your skink skirmishers shoot them in the back.
6: Once you can aford a second stack, 4-6 Sauri with a bunch of Skinks should be fully sufficient to stomp arbitrary numbers of greenskin stacks to the south.
7: On very hard, I could get plenty of trade agreements from the High Elfs and Bretonnians which helped keeping the economy afloat. Use tactical join war things on factions everyone hates (beastmen etc.) to get extra diplomatic brownie points.
8: Oh yeah, another Skink trink is to not have them fire all of their missles, and to keep like, one volley in reserve. The poison debuff is pretty good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vargs posted:

iirc there's a simple checkbox for each unit on the main unit tables to make them walk in sync. Trivially easy to make this happen.

One of my first mods was giving Grave Guards the synced animations + skeleton walk since I liked it so much.

Aurubin posted:

I forget, are the soldiers of the Tomb Kings automatons like the Vampire Counts? I seem to recall that they're all independently motivated, just bound in totality to their particular king, a la Egyptian funerary rites.

I think Tomb Kings and definitely Grave Guard tier or higher skeletons retain more of their former memories and that's why they fight more effectively than skeleton warriors. Wight Kings are basically evil reflections of the warrior they used to be and retain near total agency (outside of being 100% compelled to do evil poo poo).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Aurubin posted:

They’re a sorta weird case - their souls are kept in their bodies by the presence of a Liche Priest (specifically one particular priest in the army, if you took multiple), and if this Priest is killed they might start to crumble, but they’re autonomous otherwise. However, the state of the body determines how much they’re cognizant of the world and how much of their personality is left - basic grunt soldiers are running mainly off their training and memories of their duty, the more well-preserved elite Tomb Guard are partially mummified and will remember more, and the actual Kings, Princes, Heralds, and Priests have full recall of their former lives and proper perception of the current world.

The Constructs are a weirder case - they are animated by the souls of especially distinguished soldiers and the like, who were thus given the honor of having their souls placed into the statues. From interactions with an Ushabti in Gortrek & Felix: the Serpent Queen, they likewise appear to have full recall of their lives and proper perception of the world. It is unclear what this means for the Necropolis Knights, a subset of Tomb Guard who were too bloodthirsty to maintain disciplined formation in combat and committed ritual suicide to a giant snake statue before being interred below it, and were awoken with their souls controlling both their original skeleton and their new giant stone cobra mount.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hryme posted:

Anyone else noticed that you get a lot more money from post-battle loot as one of the new races compared to if you play one of the old world races in Mortal Empires? In my Dwarf and Empire campaign I was lucky if I got over a 1000 even after a major battle, but as Last Defenders and Morathi even easy battles give me 1500-2500 gold.

This seems very wierd.

Evil factions tend to get more battle or sacking income then the good factions that generate most of their money from cities.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Evil factions tend to get more battle or sacking income then the good factions that generate most of their money from cities.

Also your trade and % income bonuses from buildings become loving nuts if you put a few research points in as the Order factions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol at high elves not being able to raid

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Even High Elves get a ton compared to dwarfs though. For basically any other race battles are a good way to boost the economy but they're barely noticeable for dwarfs. Even sacking is pretty poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

Even High Elves get a ton compared to dwarfs though. For basically any other race battles are a good way to boost the economy but they're barely noticeable for dwarfs. Even sacking is pretty poo poo.

I guess it feeds into them thematically. Dwarfs don't go around picking fights and being expansionist. They sit in the mountains mining gold and gems until they're rich as gently caress. Then the game ends.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I guess it feeds into them thematically. Dwarfs don't go around picking fights and being expansionist. They sit in the mountains mining gold and gems until they're rich as gently caress. Then the game ends.

What it really comes down to is the strategic map for Dwarfs feels like utter poo poo compared to the new factions. They have a great roster that you basically never see, the economy takes forever to get rolling, they are completely hamstrung by a single start position that forces the same moves in every game... The list goes on. I love them on the tactical map but it's just not worth it right now. It's crazy to say because they were my most played army on WH1 by far.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

What it really comes down to is the strategic map for Dwarfs feels like utter poo poo compared to the new factions. They have a great roster that you basically never see, the economy takes forever to get rolling, they are completely hamstrung by a single start position that forces the same moves in every game... The list goes on. I love them on the tactical map but it's just not worth it right now. It's crazy to say because they were my most played army on WH1 by far.

Oh yeah, I agree 100%. I started playing dwarfs in ME first because I like rocking monsters with plain old firepower, but I went to Empire after about 25 turns because I remembered how long it takes to get growth and cash coming in nicely. An auxiliary income stream from having a character or something in a mining region would be a cool addition, but you also end up with the most powerful economy in the world at turn 70 so I don't know. It is a long, long wait.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Tarantula posted:

Are you out of your loving mind?

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I kindof agree. Skeletons are bumbling creatures and should not be that coordinated.

(sorry if any skeletons are reading this, but you know its true)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod that suppresses some of the neverending waves of world events? I'm getting loving 15+ a turn now that i have to click through or furiously mash the escape button to get rid of.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Twist And Pout! posted:

I kindof agree. Skeletons are bumbling creatures and should not be that coordinated.

Everybody becomes a skeleton eventually. :unsmigghh:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skeletons break step when they charge and in combat, because now they're in kill mode. The unified marching is one of the coolest little pieces of flavor in the game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Mightypeon posted:

As far as Kroq Gar goes:

Mazdamundi on difficulties harder then hard:

4: Eat the New World colonies. Tiranoc is a much better buffer, the real estate is pretty good, and they are really easy to curbstomp. On very hard/legendary you may find it quite hard to justify sinking the money/time into colonizing monument of dawn (you lose a lot of iniative if you do that with Mazda, and a good deal of money if you do it with someone else), and taking the new world colonies means you have a port connection without doing a colonization.

I couldn't disagree more(at least in the Vortex campaign).

My smoothskin buddies have been a great help against the Skaven and Dark Elves, particularly in forming a buffer state where northern lands become uninhabitable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Seeing Mors and the Dwarfs become best buds because they're both fighting the greenskins seems awfully bizarre.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I always care for the little humans as Mazda. I wave to them from atop my Stegadon and they wave back, smiling.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

There's already a mod that limits the number of high tier units you are able to get. I wonder if you could create something that limits them similarly but allows you to recruit anything from the get-go, and buildings just increase your cap similar to the way heroes work.

There was a mod for warhammer 1 that capped higher tier units but made the cap variable depending on buildings constructed. Basically exactly like Heroes. Its simple but tedious

More speculatively theres a mod that changes the upkeep penalty from per stack to per unit. You might be able to adjust that to only count certain units and so create a soft cap for elites that way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Another check on high tier units that already exists in the early game is simply building space/time. At tier 2/3 you can't have it all at once, while when you've got a tier 4 you've probably already got another province or two and are in build everything everywhere mode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twist And Pout! posted:

No, its not that they coordinated, its that the necromancer animating them just isn't giving a poo poo at the moment and so is making them all march around in lockstep because its easier.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JBP posted:

I always care for the little humans as Mazda. I wave to them from atop my Stegadon and they wave back, smiling.

Same, at least until I've won the campaign. Now, BEGIN THE PURGE

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I made a peace agreement with the humans as maz and they broke it two turns later and murdered me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Classic Spaniards.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tarantula posted:

Everybody becomes a skeleton eventually. :unsmigghh:

You're already a skeleton, just wearing too much (probably way too much) meat clothes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I made a peace agreement with the humans as maz and they broke it two turns later and murdered me

Considering Mazdamundi's Sinister Long Range Plans this was a good move on their part.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I think it's rather unfair how much better Warlock engineers are compared to dwarf engineers.

The Skaven ones get ruin magic and their roster benefits much more from the sapper skill; +15% speed on ranged units is great for speedy skirmisher units. Warp lightning is super good for how inexpensive it is.

The only thing Dwarf engineers have going for them is a ranged attack, but even that is iffy when it's hard to get a clear shot. They can boost defensive tower rate of fire but only if the engineer is actually present in that battle.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is there a mod out there that lets you recruit legendary lords for other subfactions/destroyed same race factions? I really want to have Gorst and Mannfred as Vlad, but don't want to dick around trying to get the AI to build them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is there a mod out there that lets you recruit legendary lords for other subfactions/destroyed same race factions? I really want to have Gorst and Mannfred as Vlad, but don't want to dick around trying to get the AI to build them.

I use liberate all factions to get this done. Once you are in their territory, if the faction is destroyed, create it again, then confederate it to gain their LLs.