Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not hating Chrissy but that wasn't a good episode for her. She really should have been talking to Roark before they lost the challenge. Although Roark getting pissy about it was ridic seeing as she hadn't tried talking to Chrissy either.

I also thought the little Ben PTSD moment was very moving and one of those things Survivor rarely makes time for these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Rarity posted:

I'm not hating Chrissy but that wasn't a good episode for her. She really should have been talking to Roark before they lost the challenge. Although Roark getting pissy about it was ridic seeing as she hadn't tried talking to Chrissy either.

That was an amazing segment - this was one of the few times in recent memory that both sides of a conversation had the other completely pegged. The competing confessionals were excellent.

I really feel like we were robbed by getting so little of Roark prior to this episode. It's clear that she had very little impact pre-merge (no tribals to maneuver), but in another season she could have been really fun to watch. Which is dismaying since I definitely remember thinking "who?" when she was briefly featured last week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Ryan messed up for two reasons:

1. Voting Roark out means that there's a potential 2-2 vote at the next tribal if they go to Tribal again. Yes you could work with both Ali and Chrissy to vote JP out. But you have no guarantee that Chrissy might have a stronger bond with JP (we know that's not the case, but). And if Chrissy isn't on your side 100% you could be going home due to rocks.

2. You didn't even open up the option to Ali to vote Roark off. If you had, she'd probably have been on board. And that is why I imagine she's gonna be pissed at you when you go back to camp - and you're demonstrating to her that you trust Chrissy more than you trust her. She's a smart enough player that she's going to recognize it, and she's going to know that you're forming your own bonds, your social game is a threat, and she'll need to cut you at some point.

I could see the justification for working with Chrissy in that it means you're down in numbers and siding with her means you might be able to work with the Heroes at the merge. But that puts you near the bottom of an alliance of 6 (including Devon). If it were me, I'd work with Ali, take out a Hero, and that gives you an option to join with the six-strong Healer tribe who will almost certainly have fragments in them eventually.

But yeah, things don't look good for Ali right now. She has no allies in this game and the one ally that she thought she had just stabbed her in the back. She needs to either make friends with JP or figure something out quick at the merge.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
We don't see everything that happens out there, so we don't know what might have happened to make Ryan think Ali and Chrissy would never work together, but whatever it was, his impression was clearly wrong. It looks like Ali would've gone along with it if he'd just told her. I think Ali's best move right now would be to lean on Ryan's guilt while making it seem possible that she'll forgive him, and then, if it comes down to it, play up JP as a likable physical threat and suggest that voting him out would be a way to earn back her trust.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ryan is a bitch. Never once even mentioning to Ali that he wanted to keep Chrissy, just nodding along with everything Ali said and not having the temerity to voice his own thoughts, and then stabbing her in the back. Get a backbone and speak up. She's your ally. Now that he's betrayed her he may need to vote her out, which makes keeping Chrissy more costly than it needed to be.

If he has Chrissy and JP voting with him, that's a majority, and Ali has no choice but to go with them. So just talk it out with her, see what she has to say, and if you insist on going the other way, sure she may resent you forcing your choice onto her, but it's a drat sight better than stabbing her in the back like a cowardly rat.

xbilkis posted:

I am cool with Mike having an idol, but maybe they shouldn't keep the idols in the same place on different beaches post-swap

I would be losin it if Joe was able to idol hoard effectively because of that
Seriously. It let Tai double up on idols and I don't see how it hasn't done the same thing here for Joe. I wonder if they removed the idol from the beach that Joe was entering, and put it back at the other beach. But then, the clue there has been chopped off the tree, so idk.

xbilkis posted:

Seems like one of Chrissy's tribemates should have been more forceful about making her step down, especially after the second time she messed up. She was asking if anyone else wanted to go!

Not getting a good feeling about Roark's chances based on the post-challenge confessional
The edit was screaming Roark going home after she got zero screen time all season and then suddenly showed up on our TVs tonight. Meanwhile they've been investing in Chrissy all season. If it weren't for that, I would've expected Chrissy to go home at that TC but instead I was pretty sure she'd stay.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 26, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

]

The edit was screaming Roark going home after she got zero screen time all season and then suddenly showed up on our TVs tonight. Meanwhile they've been investing in Chrissy all season. If it weren't for that, I would've expected Chrissy to go home at that TC but instead I was pretty sure she'd stay.

Eh, could just as easily been the other way - introduce the new character as they retire the one we've heard of and watch someone else go home with an unused idol (of a sort)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really liked Ryan going into that episode but man, how he handled everything there, especially as a "my social game has to carry me!" guy, really soured me on him. I hope Ali manages to come out ok and recover from this.

Also, good lord Cody just dropping like a fighter who got caught across the jaw was actually legitimately frightening.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

xbilkis posted:

She didn't bail as hard as she suggested at Tribal Council, but after she messed up the second time, there was an extended period of

Chrissy: "Does anyone else want to go?"
Roark: "...do you want ME to go.........I'll go if you want me to....or do you want ALI to go..."
Chrissy: "If anyone else wants to go they can..."

and then nobody stepped up so Chrissy just went again. The rest of the tribe was weirdly waiting for Chrissy to say "I am not participating in this challenge anymore and I want this person to take my place," so I don't blame her for how she handled it.

100% agree with this. If you see someone fumbling up there then say "OK IF YOU FALL ONE MORE TIME [name a person] IS NEXT". If they don't step down, like Patrick didn't, then you have a reason to blame them.

Fast Luck posted:

Ryan is a bitch. Never once even mentioning to Ali that he wanted to keep Chrissy, just nodding along with everything Ali said and not having the temerity to voice his own thoughts, and then stabbing her in the back. Get a backbone and speak up. She's your ally. Now that he's betrayed her he may need to vote her out, which makes keeping Chrissy more costly than it needed to be.

If he has Chrissy and JP voting with him, that's a majority, and Ali has no choice but to go with them. So just talk it out with her, see what she has to say, and if you insist on going the other way, sure she may resent you forcing your choice onto her, but it's a drat sight better than stabbing her in the back like a cowardly rat.

93% agree with this. Don't say "bitch" it makes you look like a doofus. Ryan really hosed up his game here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like Ben a lot

We're supposed to. He's getting the "Love this guy. He wins the game" edit.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

Or perhaps he's getting the "He's actually a decent human so here is how he is, regardless of his boot" edit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

You're both wrong, he's getting the "Holy poo poo, this is great material, can't wait to put this on the TV" edit

Like they cast an ex-marine and bamboo explodes like gunshots and he has a PTSD episode, you think they're ever not gonna package that with some nice music, all set to make Americans get a little of that bittersweet Thank You For Your Service feel?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

See also: Cirie crossing the balance beam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Throw me in with the folks who think Ryan misplayed that and shouldn't have betrayed Ali so badly. By all rights he should have burned her completely now, since not only did he choose Chrissy over her here but he didn't back her play back on the Hustlers tribe either. It sounded to me like Ali was already a little shaky on Ryan and was looking for another path with Chrissy and the Heroes so he just played that all kind of wrong. It might not cost him immediately but I think its a bad sign for him long term.

I think Chrissy more or less played that right but I get the same vibe I did with her earlier. She's a little too arrogant and pushy and its going to cost her. She screwed up with Roark but clearly Roark was pretty arrogant and confident she was the safe swing vote too so it balances out. But it might not next time.

xbilkis posted:

Cole slowly transforming into Winnie the Pooh

Somehow perfect

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
On a strategic level Chrissy played that perfectly, but her methods were dubious at best. Her fake strategy chat with Roark was terrible and transparent. The lie she crafted was decent enough to cause concern and warrant Roark's boot, but she's going to get burned hard if she tries pulling that crap again. She's not nearly as good as she thinks she is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Exit interviews suggest that maybe Ryan was getting threatened in that if he nixes Chrissy, then Ali has the power and not him (since Roark would be more loyal to her). I think it was still a terrible move not telling Ali, though.

I've been a bit lukewarm on the cast, but outside of JP, Cole and maybe Desi they could all feasibly win. Well maybe not Lauren (despite her fortitude I'm not sure she actually has a winner's trajectory), but for such a maligned theme and premiere the season is doing alright.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why Desi? She seems smart and she's doing okay. Joe's the one in danger on that tribe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Desi, but she's almost been invisible outside of the one time her tribe went to Tribal. The only one that's more invisible than her right now is JP.

Of course, I'd gladly like to be proven wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't believe in edit reading so I have no idea if Desi has a chance or not based on her being almost entirely absent from the show, but I also haven't seen her do anything except be solid at challenges and exasperated at Joe so I have no idea what her game skills are.

Plus if her tribe does go to rocks she's probably got a 50/50 shot of getting screwed. Which is probably better than her chances of Joe not just saying "gently caress Desi, I'm not drawing rocks" and voting her out.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Exit interviews suggest that maybe Ryan was getting threatened in that if he nixes Chrissy, then Ali has the power and not him (since Roark would be more loyal to her). I think it was still a terrible move not telling Ali, though.
I don't think the issue is Ryan's choice of who to vote out. Its clearly that he blindsided Ali so badly when there was no reason to.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Desi’s biggest moment so far was the camera man creeping on her while she was naked in the ocean bathing while other people were conspiring against her. Things don’t look good for her.

I have her on my draft because she seemed pretty intelligent and likable in pre-game press. I hope things turn around at merge.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

On a strategic level Chrissy played that perfectly, but her methods were dubious at best. Her fake strategy chat with Roark was terrible and transparent. The lie she crafted was decent enough to cause concern and warrant Roark's boot, but she's going to get burned hard if she tries pulling that crap again. She's not nearly as good as she thinks she is.
Agreed. I really think the only reason she's still in the game is that she has a sweet face, which helped Ryan pick her to be the stranger he gave the idol e1. And Ryan wanting to make something out of that idol bond saved her. Seems like neither Roark nor Ali was that into her; if Ali had just been a little into her it would've been easy for her and Ryan to get on the same page.

STAC Goat posted:

Plus if her tribe does go to rocks she's probably got a 50/50 shot of getting screwed. Which is probably better than her chances of Joe not just saying "gently caress Desi, I'm not drawing rocks" and voting her out.
I think Desi would be the one to flip on Joe. Ashley and Devon had a moment last ep where they seemed to be hoping for that outcome and I can see it. Desi would have had little screentime until now because she was on the tribe that never went to tribal, and because the editors wanted to milk Joe while he lasted.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 31, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

Agreed. I really think the only reason she's still in the game is that she has a sweet face, which helped Ryan pick her to be the stranger he gave the idol e1. And Ryan wanting to make something out of that idol bond saved her. Seems like neither Roark nor Ali was that into her; if Ali had just been a little into her it would've been easy for her and Ryan to get on the same page.

More like she puked at the challenge so Ryan figured she'd be a weak link and he can hurt the Heroes by possibly nixing a strong opponent.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

ApplesandOranges posted:

More like she puked at the challenge so Ryan figured she'd be a weak link and he can hurt the Heroes by possibly nixing a strong opponent.

Edited in, she puked after the other tribes had left.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think there's an argument that Chrissy kind of benefited from appearing weak early, played a couple of things well, but then got a huge head about it and lost all sight of the big picture. I mean, that's probably over dramatic but she feels like she's setting herself for a post merge over play.

Fast Luck posted:

I think Desi would be the one to flip on Joe. Ashley and Devon had a moment last ep where they seemed to be hoping for that outcome and I can see it. Desi would have had little screentime until now because she was on the tribe that never went to tribal, and because the editors wanted to milk Joe while he lasted.
I kind of expect them both to and it becoming a matter of Ashley and Devon deciding who they want to vote out. Like I don't believe Joe would have ever used that idol on Desi and I don't expect him to risk rocks for her, but I also expect Desi to be thinking the same way and not want to risk herself for him.

Then again maybe Joe tries to pretend he has another idol or they just stubbornly refuse to play ball? Who knows?

Or they just never go to tribal since we're probably like one week from a merge.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And here we go!

(ive never made the first post of the week before.... but its easy when no one posts ITT anymore)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Boo Hoo

I mean don't trust him sure, but yikes

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cole has found a new way to be annoying and unlikeable lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed that a lot of the people "featured" in the opening sequence are already gone. Look out, doctor peepee!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

blue squares posted:

And here we go!

(ive never made the first post of the week before.... but its easy when no one posts ITT anymore)

I have pinball league every other Wednesday so I don't get a chance to watch live as I often

Also holy hell Ryan what are you doing? Way to fuckin blow it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man they really stepped up the elaborate multi-part challenges this seas-

TEN PIZZAS HOLY gently caress

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh please don't let Joe get another idol

Goddammit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Codependent Poster posted:

Ugh please don't let Joe get another idol

Goddammit

Same but also lol @ "oh it's 4 feet away and I was looking 5 feet away"

This guy is like the smartest idiot

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Ryan is a pencil-necked little poo poo and I hope Ali choke slams him before they part.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spergatory posted:

Ryan is a pencil-necked little poo poo and I hope Ali choke slams him before they part.

Yeah I don't like him at all now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wow this challenge looks like it'll suck

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

This looks loving impossible

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

oh my god I love this challenge. Its like those individual games where one slip makes a person go back to the start but now we get to see their teammates be furious at them too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I already said it on the first challenge, but I really like the challenge designs this season. So good

I also really like them back to 2 per show instead of always reward+immunity together

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would shoot everyone and myself if I had to do this

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha I like the strategy just turned out to be "everyone pull tight except the person walking" and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Haha I like the strategy just turned out to be "everyone pull tight except the person walking" and it worked.

Yeah that was a really good strat

• Locked thread