Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love how each situation you find captain toad in is more ludicrous than the last, considering he can't jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So once you do a hat throw -> dive bounce -> hat throw -> dive, is there any way to recover in the air and keep doing cool stuff from that point, or are you forced to land your dive on the ground?

you can't bounce on the cap again but no other moves are prevented so you can, instead of just diving (which you cannot cancel), wall jump for a bit more height and then dive. Etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

I love how each situation you find captain toad in is more ludicrous than the last, considering he can't jump.

Him being stuck at the bottom of that massive underwater shaft is still the funniest one.

"How did I even get here? And how do I get out?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

"the?" There's a 3rd one on there.

There's a second?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It really is a testament to the team behind the game that I'm still playing and having fun just dicking around. BotW was fun for the first handful of hours before it became a mostly boring slog yet Mario's quality is just in a class of it's own. It's unreal how much creativity has gone into the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just realized you can swim faster :negative:

Also I'm currently sitting here mapping out lakeside for the best koopa race routes. Game is amazing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larrymer posted:

walk inside the castle and look up at the ceiling like you had to in sm64 to get into the winged hat level.

i tried this the first time i went in, do NOT believe his lies

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

You most apparently did not go into first person mode
And if you didn't know there was a first person mode, next time read the tutorials, nerd :smug:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Same!

Is there a way to cycle through different times of day/weather in the levels?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In lake kingdom I'm convinced there has to be a way to skip to the top of the water terrace without going all the way to the spin flowers, but none of my attempts have worked, any ideas?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Hi, thread! Here's just a few random screens I wanted to share somewhere where people are looking for this stuff:

Can't believe this game lived up to the hype.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

In lake kingdom I'm convinced there has to be a way to skip to the top of the water terrace without going all the way to the spin flowers, but none of my attempts have worked, any ideas?

Cursory twitter search gives this video which does it https://twitter.com/Dalagonash/status/923557388069756929
As an aside, the video recording feature is really good for these short races. Most of them are the perfect lengths and I love being able to see cool strategies easily on twitter.

E: And here's an even faster strategy that just skips the platform entirely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Post your favorite Mario outfit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do you throw Cappy upwards?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Just finished the story mode. Holy hell this game owns.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lift up with both joycons and pray

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a second?
Main door, pipe on the back, and go look at the top of it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Cursory twitter search gives this video which does it https://twitter.com/Dalagonash/status/923557388069756929
As an aside, the video recording feature is really good for these short races. Most of them are the perfect lengths and I love being able to see cool strategies easily on twitter.

E: And here's an even faster strategy that just skips the platform entirely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

Oh man, that second one is almost the exact strategy i had, just couldn't get the wall jump off the side of the terrace to work right. Feel pretty good knowing i basically stumbled into the fastest strat out there!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This question, and probably many others, would be answered by people actually reading the very helpful in-game action guide and the controls page.

Who am I kidding people don't even know how to do things games give actual tutorials on sometimes how would anyone read an optional one

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm still not sure what the point in the (Final Costume spoiler) Invisibility Cap is.

I mean, good job you're totally invisible outside the shadow. Good luck actually doing anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amppelix posted:

This question, and probably many others, would be answered by people actually reading the very helpful in-game action guide and the controls page.

Who am I kidding people don't even know how to do things games give actual tutorials on sometimes how would anyone read an optional one

Alright now how do I throw cappy upwards reliably because holy poo poo the motion controls are bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Amppelix posted:

See: not telegraphing/"winding up" your sword swings in Skyward Sword. The first boss literally tells you not to do it but everyone is still like "why is my sword swinging the other way???"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^play with the joycons. If you're already doing that then I can't help, motion controls will always be the sort of thing that some people instantly master using and others never get comfortable with, no matter how much you try to explain the proper movements. I've had no trouble ever performing the move I've wanted, even in the many times I did the up throw for that freerunning I posted earlier.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm still not sure what the point in the (Final Costume spoiler) Invisibility Cap is.

I mean, good job you're totally invisible outside the shadow. Good luck actually doing anything.

Since you just beat the hardest challenge in the game to get it, the point is to use it to make the game harder on yourself, if you should so want

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Goddamn the platforming in this game is so good. "How can i get this moon" eventually turns into "How can I break the game over my knee to get this moon"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No reason not to spend my purple points before collecting them all right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spend 'em if you've got em.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

The game doesn't show non-motion control options. :(

I was thinking since the spin throw and downward throw had special inputs that the upward throw would too.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Unfortunately, (fairly major postgame spoilers) The bunnies on the dark side of the moon do not talk to you if you beat the Broodal boss rush, but they are no less adorable.
I took a snapshot that turned out pretty good and works well as a phone background:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still can't do the jump roping to save my life and will probably never move on from New Donk, constantly trying in vain to beat it but goddamn if the Big Thing at the end of New Donk didn't get me a bit choked up.

nintendo is cool

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Moltrey posted:

I still can't do the jump roping to save my life and will probably never move on from New Donk

You're... allowed... to.... move....... on...............

Don't be a prisoner of your own OCD :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its literally impossible to 100% a level the first time you reach it anyways.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Its literally impossible to 100% a level the first time you reach it anyways.

I was just thinking that you're probably better off rushing through the story and then going back, as a few moons that unlocked later in the game were exactly where I was looking for them my first time through.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Moltrey you should have your switch confiscated so it can be given to some more worthy family who can't afford one or something

Edit: I bet this is you too, isn't it:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 31, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah he's been getting to some odd places. I 've found him in 6 of the 9 or so kingdoms i've visited, so he's deffo everywhere, somewhere

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else find it creepy that the boss of the Ruined Kingdom ends up totally immobile but its eyes still follow you around the room?

VVV that doesn't make it better!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone else find it creepy that the boss of the Ruined Kingdom ends up totally immobile but its eyes still follow you around the room?

You can talk to him.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Kraken posted:

I like to think he's just taking to opportunity to reflect on some of his life choices. Like he's utterly exhausted and thinking "fuuuuck, what am I even doing"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How does the hint art work?

Specifically the one showing Lost Kingdom and teasing Poochie. I went to the exact spot and he's not there :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

You're... allowed... to.... move....... on...............

Don't be a prisoner of your own OCD :psyduck:
this is my hill and i will die on it.

i've gotten every possible moon in my first visit, I know I'll revisit areas in the post game, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop now. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

The game doesn't show non-motion control options. :(

Which killed me when I fired it up today in tablet mode on the train home. Motion controls are fine docked, but I'm not using them in hand held mode. I actually tried, but it felt awkward and kept catching sun-glare from the window when I'd move it certain ways. I gave up and just played golf story. Docked, motion controls, fine. Tablet, playing something else I guess.

• Locked thread