Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

And nobody would have bought into it, and nobody would have started building orgs and promoting the game online.

That's why they won't seriously talk about the networking and instead talk about serialised variables to reduce the cost of spawning a ship. It's all deflection and it's all bollocks. The networking seems to be the big technical elephant in the kitchen and the money seems to be the big elephant inside the elephant that's in the kitchen.

^this. All of it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Golli posted:

Please spin them up gently. I don't want them to get dizzy.

:laffo:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

XK posted:

Hello, Amazon? I'm running 16 instances in your cloud service. Can you tell me what rack numbers my servers are located at? I'd like to visit them.

Sir, this is a Wendy's restaurant.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Posting from 2 pages back because I can't even.

I'm sad I wasn't here for MoMA's AWS posting, because those are some really good posts to make fun of somebody for fundamentally misunderstanding how a technology works.

How many units of rack space does AWS give me when it spins up servers? Wooo

Spinwise or widdershins?

If I have a tick of 64, and my clients are seeing 14, how hosed am I?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wow! Amazing! :lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
moma tryin to get his network posts through a door with working collision

https://i.imgur.com/OVAp4Ic.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

r/starcitizen_refunds

r/elitedangerousrefunds

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Star Citizen: Pay to Lose

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Mirificus posted:

r/starcitizen_refunds

r/elitedangerousrefunds

I don't know what's the funniest, that he included the reference to contacting authorities in California even though Frontier is in the UK, that he left in a BBB link even though they don't operate in the UK, or that the BBB link still points right to CIG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Taintrunner posted:

holy poo poo why is the fidelity so low in their fake star citizen convention ship trailer

Looks like Roger Wilco got a new job!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Combat Theory posted:

I for myself have no doubts that Chris Roberts will have all of this figured out by Dec. 2016 ready for the release of the full Stanton system

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ComfyPants posted:

I don't know what's the funniest, that he included the reference to contacting authorities in California even though Frontier is in the UK, that he left in a BBB link even though they don't operate in the UK, or that the BBB link still points right to CIG.

¿por que no los tres?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Eh, many of them are the same 50 odd positions that they always have open. They seem to refresh the listings on the job page every six months or so. It's probably due to something on the back end, or simply a means to clear old applications out of the system.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Oh yeah? Well... CHRIS ROBERTS. :smug:

:lol:

Ace up the sleeve! He’s probably up right now snorting lines of coke coding!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tokamak posted:

Eh, many of them are the same 50 odd positions that they always have open. They seem to refresh the listings on the job page every six months or so. It's probably due to something on the back end, or simply a means to clear old applications out of the system.

It's fun to speculate!

There have been 63 vacancies since March 2016 and that number has not changed, they just shuffle around the roles from time to time. That's the most amount I've seen for Frankfurt. People get hired from time to time like the new audio guy, that number doesn't go down. People leave and move on and the number doesn't go up.

Like the funding tracker, it is also absolute bollocks.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Angry_Pacifist is mentally ill. No joke, bone fide, grade A jibbering mentally ill.

Star Citizen has exposed me to more loving idiocy than I even want to think about, but that guy loving scares me.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

All of these so called technical experts and yet no one seems to understand what pre-alpha means.

For real.

We’re still in the early stages here. Over 5 years into the pre alpha is still baby steps.

I remember back in the day when revolutionary games like Half Life 2 were being made, and that sucker was in pre alpha since like 1960. I’m just glad I got to play it before I died.

All these whiny bitches complaining they can’t wait for this or that from Star Citizen is just goon propaganda and Derek’s lies. Even Derek began developing his first Battlecruiser game in 1947.

If you’re not already able to acknowledge that Star Citizen won’t be in beta by around 2026, and released around 2039, then just get off the ride. You don’t understand game development and you never will. I’m not going to explain it to you because you just won’t listen to all these facts.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo they aren't even going to clear $3.3m this month

this is really loving bad lol

look at this poo poo

October 2017: $3,275,000 estimated (currently @ $3,171,784 with 27~ hours remaining)
October 2016: $5,215,403 (-$1,940,403 vs 2017 estimate / -37.3% difference)
October 2015: $4,248,793 (-$973,793 vs 2017 estimate / -23.3% difference)
October 2014: $3,903,722 (-$628.722 vs 2017 estimate / -16.2% difference)
October 2013: $5,132,756 (-$1,857,756 vs 2017 estimate / -36.2% difference)
October 2012: $2,543,656 (+731,344 vs 2017 estimate / +32.4% difference)

this is the worst funding month since 2012. since the fuckin kickstarter

what a loving disaster

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Omniblivion posted:

Don't backers wave around the flag of "it's a player funded development" or some similar poo poo? If so, do the bigger backers get access to see the company's financials on some private board or something?

Yes. Chris Roberts personally calls them up for advice.

“So what do you think I should do next?”

*high pitched chirps*

“So I should just make a video and act like it’s a real game?”

*high pitched cheeps of confirmation*

“Very well. That’s what I’m going to do for Citizen Con.” Hangs up phone. “Sandi you can stop sacrificing cats to your blood altar to Satan, the fur suit guy just gave us advice. We just make another fake video and act like we’re making progress. Haha no! We don’t even have to show gameplay or let people play this poo poo. It’s what the backers want! Trust me, this loving guy has never been wrong before!”

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
2017: $22,747,659 (current)
2016: $36,100,538
Difference: -$13,352,879
Percentage: -37.0%

they have to make almost $6.7m per month in order to equal last years funding, which is about $216,000 a day, every single loving day until the end of the year

current projections put them at around, at best, around $85,000 a day, or around $28m end total for this year

that's about $8m less than last year, or about a 22.5% drop in revenue

given what we know, a $4m/month burn at minimum is about right

once they shove 3.0 out the door it has to receive near universal praise in order for them to continue operations at current employee and office capacity in 2018

of course the second they begin to layoff staff or key members, that's when the bank rush will happen and things will collapse

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 31, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

they have to make almost $6.7m per month in order to equal last years funding, which is about $216,000 a day, every single loving day until the end of the year

Coincidentally "the game is practically done"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I figure we're at least a minute thirty into In the Hall of the Mountain King by now.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Dusty Lens posted:

I figure we're at least a minute thirty into In the Hall of the Mountain King by now.

Seems about right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIz3klPET3o

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

2017: $22,747,659 (current)
2016: $36,100,538
Difference: -$13,352,879
Percentage: -37.0%

current projections put them at around, at best, around $85,000 a day, or around $28m end total for this year

that's about $8m less than last year, or about a 22.5% drop in revenue

once they shove 3.0 out the door it has to receive near universal praise in order for them to continue operations at current employee and office capacity in 2018

of course the second they begin to layoff staff or key members, that's when the bank rush will happen and things will collapse

Optane. That brand deal is certainly going to

*looks at funding chart*

ohh

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
if you thought the intel dick sucking was bad, wait until you see the bareback, popper-fueled assfuck CIG takes just to keep the lights on

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

We need to come up with a term for this theoretical sudden collapse. Ideas anybody?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Virtual Captain posted:

Multiply all your numbers by 0.01 because the CryEngine level was blown to by a factor of 100 and the player is the size of a hamster. Careful with those floating point errors!

loving :lol: :five:

the size of a hamster! genuis!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Reminder: Flying around and doing nothing is actually the game these people want.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

I'm no statististologist but my projectitions put them somewher south of that

I think they only sold around 5 game changers in the last 24-hours.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I'm no statististologist but my projectitions put them somewher south of that

I think they only sold around 5 game changers in the last 24-hours.
$85,000/day average is using the one of the upper tier models (I think the best is around $89,000 or $92,000/day average, which puts them even or lower than 2014 funding)

I'm thinking it's going to be a lot less than that unless 3.0 hits within the next 3 weeks and blows people away

novembers funding was still riding high on the "3.0 is right around the corner guys!" bullshit hype that roberts decided to throw at people august of last year and will not work again this year

I doubt you'll see a $7m november month, as most whales already own many multiples of ships and the gray market is loving tanking as people desperately try and offload inventory during CIG events

if November is less than $3m, things are going to be very, very loving bleak next quarter

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

cuntent locust.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and really, again, 3.0 has to be in an absolutely amazing, playable, bug-free and content-rich state when it hits the PTU (not even the PU)

otherwise they are going to lose even more money

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

I don't have time to write up a 1000 character word salad to educate on it.

thank God

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Yup. And that's why I have a cluster of Dell servers for LOD and Alganon sitting at two datacenters.

Yeah - how many of them are up? Might want to check those WEST servers again.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

Lol, I'll admit: You're almost as good a troll as others here.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

moma please post something interesting for petes sake

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah - how many of them are up? Might want to check those WEST servers again.

Pretty fancy talk from someone who thinks AWS provides rack space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

XK posted:

Pretty fancy talk from someone who thinks AWS provides rack space.

I never said that, but 4 points for low-level troll . . .