Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Restaurant supply quarter or half sheet pan? Or do you need deeper sides than that?

No I'm looking for something so the roast, meatloaf, or whatever isn't sitting in it's own juice/fat. Like this but maybe a little better quality.

https://smile.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-0513-2-Broil-3-Piece/dp/B000MJYE8I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508366026&sr=8-2&keywords=broiling+pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guess, although if cheaper things work just as good (like this one) I guess I'd prefer to get that. Anyone have expereince with these sorts of things?

I can't speak for any other brand, but ThermoWorks' ThermoPop is cheaper ($30) and fine at candy/oil temps, if you don't care about being able to leave it in there.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Mr Executive posted:

I'm interested in this too. I'm looking for quarter/half sheet pans that won't warp and are dishwasher safe. I'd be willing to pay a little bit if something worked well, but the several different pans I've tried from Marshall's/Home Goods have been trash. I just want something that doesn't warp, can be easily cleaned, and doesn't drip old rust water out of the rolled edges when I pull it out of the drawer.

Will aluminum restaurant sheet pans get that white film/oxidation/whatever when run through a dishwasher? Obviously commercial kitchens use dishwashers, but I've heard the issue with aluminum comes from the type of dishwasher detergent used at home.

I have two of these half and quarter sheets and they have held up nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-...heet%2Bpan&th=1

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Random Hero posted:

I have two of these half and quarter sheets and they have held up nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-...heet%2Bpan&th=1

wormil is looking for something that will keep the roast from sitting in its own fat

So maybe a half sheet and one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Baki...el+cooling+rack

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cookie-cooling racks are a real pain in the rear end to clean after being used that way. Look for a rack that only has lines in one direction, and a lot fewer of them. It'll be more than enough to support the meat, and actually possible to get clean.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just cut some carrots and onions into planks and rings and use those? Or any veggie to roast really.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

Cookie-cooling racks are a real pain in the rear end to clean after being used that way. Look for a rack that only has lines in one direction, and a lot fewer of them. It'll be more than enough to support the meat, and actually possible to get clean.
Speaking of which, does anyone have recommendations on a stainless roasting pan with a flat rack? I've got an ancient anodized steel one which I've never used for roasting, but use regularly as a broiling pan. Because broiling pans always suck---they tend to be flat and perforated, like this:

...which means they are also a real pain in the rear end to clean and they suck for broiling, because they don't drain as well as a grill-type rack.

The one I've got is something like this:

...only with a flat rack that sits just slightly below the top of the pan. And most of the coating worn away so it's started to rust. All of the stainless ones that seem to show up on a search of e.g. amazon seem to have really low racks, which might work well for what they're designed for (roasting) but not what I want to do with them (broiling).

Sextro posted:

Just cut some carrots and onions into planks and rings and use those? Or any veggie to roast really.
Yeah, when I'm roasting something I use a roasting pan (a Le Creuset) with no rack and just put what I'm roasting on a bed of mirepoix or whatever veg I'm going to use to build the pan sauce.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I tried that once. Once! Cooling racks are a bitch to clean. And baking sheets warp like crazy when you broil.

Sextro posted:

I do that with pot roasts but it doesn't work with everything and would burn during broiling. My question at the bottom of the last page, was for a broiling/roasting pan that is better quality and smaller than the one that came with my oven. (so smaller than ~12x16) I thought it would be a common thing, guess not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I feel like any broiler pan should be fine then. I'm not aware of any quality difference between them...?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like any broiler pan should be fine then. I'm not aware of any quality difference between them...?

Maybe there isn't. I honestly don't know. Maybe the ones that come with ovens are as good as it gets. It's all I've ever used. The one I have is doing the job, it's just 4X larger than needed 90% of the time. It'd be like cooking a hamburger in a 12" skillet, seems excessive. So I thought, hey, maybe I can get a smaller one and while I'm at it ... maybe they make better ones. But after looking on Amazon, I'm thinking that I will stick with what I have.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

revwinnebago posted:

I shared a standard program until the roommate moved out. Not normal for mine, assuming there aren't some kind of chunks or something we can't see in there.

Then again if it continues to operate, not a huge deal. They'll definitely warranty it if it becomes an issue.

The only differences should be:

1) Narrow version can theoretically start with less material, but not by much.
2) Narrow version is goddamn tall, they made the move mostly so it would fit under kitchen shelves (I think). I could only open my cabinets if I took the lid off.

Only worry about getting the fat version if fitting it under your shelves could be an issue.

Can the short, fat ones mount on the standard bases? I’d love to have it under my cabinet.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Feenix posted:

Can the short, fat ones mount on the standard bases? I’d love to have it under my cabinet.

I don't have personal experience but reports say they're totally interchangeable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

wormil posted:

Maybe there isn't. I honestly don't know. Maybe the ones that come with ovens are as good as it gets. It's all I've ever used. The one I have is doing the job, it's just 4X larger than needed 90% of the time. It'd be like cooking a hamburger in a 12" skillet, seems excessive. So I thought, hey, maybe I can get a smaller one and while I'm at it ... maybe they make better ones. But after looking on Amazon, I'm thinking that I will stick with what I have.
Yeah, as I say in the post just above yours all broiler pans seem to suck. Mostly because they're just not particularly well-designed for broiling. What I want is basically a weber grill with a drip pan that I can fit in an oven/broiler. But nobody seems to make anything like that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SubG posted:

Yeah, as I say in the post just above yours all broiler pans seem to suck. Mostly because they're just not particularly well-designed for broiling. What I want is basically a weber grill with a drip pan that I can fit in an oven/broiler. But nobody seems to make anything like that.

Couldn't you just use a flat wire roasting rack like this and a baking sheet or roasting pan? They come in a lot of shapes and sizes too so you could get a small one and a small pan for just doing a hamburger or two.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Couldn't you just use a flat wire roasting rack like this and a baking sheet or roasting pan? They come in a lot of shapes and sizes too so you could get a small one and a small pan for just doing a hamburger or two.
Maybe? Still seems like something that ought to just be a thing by itself.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Any recommendations for bottle/liquor pourers?

Something like this:

I have a couple I got from a dollar store and I'm tired of olive oil dripping down the side of the bottle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I felt like spouts were annoying to clean.

How about squeeze bottles instead (look for ones with attached caps)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This reminds me of the question I wanted to ask: anyone got a link for squeeze bottles that don't leak? I bought a cheap 6-pack from some random seller on Amazon and they work fine but they all have slicks of oil down their sides, which turn into slicks of oil on the shelf, and that gets nasty pretty quickly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The ones that use don't leak, and I bought them from Ralph's (Kroger depending on where you live). They're two dollars last time I checked

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

For all your "I need this one knick-knack in acceptable quality" needs, find your local kitchen supply store. Gordon Food Service or whatever.

While you're there you can pick up that half or quarter baking sheet you've been meaning to pick up anyway.

...and a gallon tub of cole slaw for that family event you forgot you need a side dish for.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The only kitchen supply store in my area requires a sales tax exemption certificate. Know any good online ones?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nope, I don't. Sorry.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I felt like spouts were annoying to clean.

How about squeeze bottles instead (look for ones with attached caps)
That's a good idea! However...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This reminds me of the question I wanted to ask: anyone got a link for squeeze bottles that don't leak? I bought a cheap 6-pack from some random seller on Amazon and they work fine but they all have slicks of oil down their sides, which turn into slicks of oil on the shelf, and that gets nasty pretty quickly.
This has been my experience as well.

Steve Yun posted:

The ones that use don't leak, and I bought them from Ralph's (Kroger depending on where you live). They're two dollars last time I checked

revwinnebago posted:

For all your "I need this one knick-knack in acceptable quality" needs, find your local kitchen supply store. Gordon Food Service or whatever.

While you're there you can pick up that half or quarter baking sheet you've been meaning to pick up anyway.

...and a gallon tub of cole slaw for that family event you forgot you need a side dish for.
I'll look into these options! Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I bet we bought the same 6 pack although I got mine from AWD, damaged packaging, for a $1. Still have 5 of them unused. Before that I had the bottle with metal spout thing and liked it even less.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Look for (or make) ones that have a little grommet on the inside of the cap. You can just put a little plumber's tape around the threads instead if you want to, it works perfectly fine and even keeps the lids on tighter.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We have these ones at work I'm not sure where they came from but the top and the bottom both unscrew so you can scrub the whole bottle out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use old sriracha bottles, and they work great.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Guy Axlerod posted:

The only kitchen supply store in my area requires a sales tax exemption certificate. Know any good online ones?

This may be true in your case but for the layperson, I always thought this was the case for GFS and it's not. They just have to ask when you hit checkout to punch the right tax key. Ensure whether this is actually the case for your local supply store.

And I mean you could always file as a perfectly legal church of the Subgenius / Pastafarians / Jedi if this is a major hindrance in your life.

Scientastic posted:

I use old sriracha bottles, and they work great.

Probably don't reuse disposable plastic bottles for food?

Other than potentially leeching fun things into your food the research turns up phrases like "fecal coliform". Admittedly a lot of this comes from one small study with gradeschool kids who weren't washing their hands, but you see brosefs at the gym reusing a milk jug for drinking water all the time and... yeah.

Reusing plastic (from cutting boards to whatever) eventually results in all sorts of cuts including microscopic ones. Especially if you ever put them in the dishwasher where the heat vastly increases the chance of leeching fun stuff. And bacteria loves to hide in there even if you're not getting carcinogens / tiny bits of plastic in your food.

Sriracha has the virtues of being antibacterial inside and not being heated, so the risk factor is much smaller than other applications. But in the general case I'd tell people to just keep looking for a good reusable bottle.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Amazon.com?

Totally random link: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Squeeze-Condiment-Bottles-16-ounce/dp/B00OZOW6E0

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get this instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVUOZQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mhG7zbRZTF6FM

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

revwinnebago posted:

Other than potentially leeching fun things into your food the research turns up phrases like "fecal coliform". Admittedly a lot of this comes from one small study with gradeschool kids who weren't washing their hands, but you see brosefs at the gym reusing a milk jug for drinking water all the time and... yeah.

Reusing plastic (from cutting boards to whatever) eventually results in all sorts of cuts including microscopic ones. Especially if you ever put them in the dishwasher where the heat vastly increases the chance of leeching fun stuff. And bacteria loves to hide in there even if you're not getting carcinogens / tiny bits of plastic in your food.

I am absolutely 100% sure that "leachables" from reusing food safe plastics is a myth that has been busted repeatedly, and that if you put the bottle through a dishwasher before use, and refrigerate the bottles, there is about the same level of risk as using Tupperware. That is to say, the risk is negligible.

But if you want to spend money unnecessarily, I guess that's your call.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 23, 2017

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Scientastic posted:

I am absolutely 100% sure that "leachables" from reusing food safe plastics is a myth that has been busted repeatedly, and that if you put the bottle through a dishwasher before use, and refrigerate the bottles, there is about the same level of risk as using Tupperware. That is to say, the risk is negligible.

But if you want to spend money unnecessarily, I guess that's your call.

So far as I'm aware, the science isn't that settled.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/bpa-safety-war-battle-over-evidence

But it is at the level where if you're not microwaving plastics then the effect can be deemed debatable so it's up to you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You've got to be loving kidding.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

revwinnebago posted:

But it is at the level where if you're not microwaving plastics then the effect can be deemed debatable so it's up to you.

AFAICT, the article is only talking about BPA in polycarbonate, and A) there are plenty of polycarbonates that are now BPA free and B) the more commonly used polypropylene and polyethylene food containers should be free of BPA

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need a nice rear end induction kettle and an induction griddle for our new kitchen. Should I just buy La Creuset or has their quality gone to poo poo now?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

Pretty much any plastic squeeze bottle you'll find today in the US is going to be made out of food safe LDPE, and it isn't as if they cast a magic spell on the bottle to make one LDPE bottle `reusable' and another one `single use' or whatever it is you're imagining.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

ziplock type bags use LDPE which doesn't leach, and doesn't melt until boiling temps are reached. stop spreading your appeal-to-authority wives tales, tia.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bape Culture posted:

I need a nice rear end induction kettle and an induction griddle for our new kitchen. Should I just buy La Creuset or has their quality gone to poo poo now?

Le Creuset kettles have a black lining on the interior that will invariably start flaking off within a year or two's time. I've had it happen twice (and they have been kind to replace it, but in researching it, this "is a thing".

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm tired of replacing my nonstick skillets every 2 years, and can now afford better than the $15 Chef's Choice ones. Is the Calphalon Unison mentioned in the OP still the recommended best nonstick? What about the ones with the checkerboard pattern I see TV chefs use?

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for a 10"/12" combo set with lids, or the equivalent piecemeal. Please give me advice Goon Hivemind.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm tired of replacing my nonstick skillets every 2 years, and can now afford better than the $15 Chef's Choice ones. Is the Calphalon Unison mentioned in the OP still the recommended best nonstick? What about the ones with the checkerboard pattern I see TV chefs use?

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for a 10"/12" combo set with lids, or the equivalent piecemeal. Please give me advice Goon Hivemind.

I hate to say it, but even if you buy the nicer ones you are going to be replacing them every few years. Non stick coating is going to wear off no matter how nice the pan is.

I’d jump up to something in the $30 range like Tramontina or Cuisinart and call it a day. It’s not really worth it after that.

What are you cooking in the pans anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got calphalon non stick stuff when I got married, and it is still in basically perfect shape with regular use. It’s never seen a metal utensil, only the plastic stuff that matched it when we got the set or wooden stuff.

I was married in tyool Y2K.