Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm just talking about the usual APR rate, late payment fee, etc. which shouldn't be an issue for anyone here, RIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

Thanks! I'm probably going to get the credit card, but honestly, I hadn't put a ton of thought into it. I'll consider that Discover, but I've been avoiding rotating category cards to keep the mental overhead of "which card to use" low.

Totally understand. I enjoy keeping track of that stuff, but I realize it's not for everyone. I would note though that with the cash back doubling, the non-category stuff does double too and ends up being 2% in that first year, making it a year of a simple option if you want it to be. They also have their own shopping portal for even more cash back (which itself stacks with any regular cash back percent, and the bonus cash back will double as well) when making online purchases at certain merchants.

quote:

Lastly, to piggyback on a prior question, I just bought a house. I'm definitely considering going for the min-spend signup bonuses, but as far as a straight cash back option, is the Lowe's 5% my best plan?

If you'll be spending a lot at Lowes, there are frequently sales on their gift cards (to the tune of $90 for a $100 GC). Dr. Eldarion or someone else usually posts them in the Gift Card Thread if they see one.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FISHMANPET posted:

not sure if it's an issue with early chip technology

You may be shocked, SHOCKED to learn that chip technology for use in securing credit cards has been in use for around 40 years, starting in France.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Anyone got opinions on the JetBlue Plus card? It seems to have good reviews after a quick glance and just wonder if anyone here's got experience w it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Amex is refreshing the Hilton card line. Apparently you can get Diamond status for $450 a year now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

2018 category calendar for Discover is up:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

Glad to see the return of wholesale clubs in a couple of quarters. Grocery stores quarter is more or less expected. Amazon quarter is always nice to see too.

Couple of non-obvious tips to make the most of wholesale club quarters:
1) Buy Costco gift cards ("Costco cash cards") from Costco.com, pay with Discover, and get 5(or an extra 5% for a total of 10% if you're withinin your match period) back at Costco. Note that the website takes Discover for payment, while the club stores only take Visa & Costco Cash cards.
2) Buy Sam's Club gift cards at Sam's Club for the same 5/10% back. Use 'em at Sam's Club or take them to Walmart and use 'em there!

edit: Clarified costco a bit.

astral fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 1, 2017

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Awesome, applying for the Discover IT card. Wholesale club bonus will be great for us... Costco just added a location 1 mile from our house.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

extravadanza posted:

Awesome, applying for the Discover IT card. Wholesale club bonus will be great for us... Costco just added a location 1 mile from our house.

If you haven't already applied and missed this note from last page: make sure to get a friend or family member to refer you so you don't miss out on the otherwise-unavailable $50 signup bonus (which matches at the end of your match period if you're still in your first year)!

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Here's an updated referral link if you need one
https://refer.discover.com/s/c3hs5

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Uber card application site is up. $100 signup bonus is OK I suppose, the 4% on dining is great but on par with my Reserve card. I picked it up regardless though because of the phone insurance.

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/uber-visa-card.html

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a better credit card for Delta airlines than the AmEx Gold Delta Skymiles card? I just moved to Boston, and Delta is the biggest airline out of Logan airport, so it makes sense, I think. 50k miles after spending 2k(which I can easily get by paying my rent) in the first 3 months is super dope.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

after the signup bonus you really don’t get a lot out of it though, even if you are a frequent traveler. Free checked bags and that’s pretty much it. Delta miles are only 1.2 cent value. Personally, I rather use the Chase cards and then use the Chase travel portal to buy Delta tickets, for which you will get the miles as if you paid in cash.

So yeah after getting my sign-up bonus on the Delta Platinum I converted it into the new no AF Delta Blue which gives you the same rewards as the gold but no free checked bags.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

THF13 posted:

Uber card application site is up. $100 signup bonus is OK I suppose, the 4% on dining is great but on par with my Reserve card. I picked it up regardless though because of the phone insurance.

I applied, but I have to wait 10 days for a response I guess since i did the credit freeze thing they have to contact me for it. The mobile phone insurance is a good deal, and my phone bill is $350, so I'll hit the $500 spend in just two months.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a better credit card for Delta airlines than the AmEx Gold Delta Skymiles card? I just moved to Boston, and Delta is the biggest airline out of Logan airport, so it makes sense, I think. 50k miles after spending 2k(which I can easily get by paying my rent) in the first 3 months is super dope.

I just asked about the JetBlue card because I'm also curious about for for BOS flights... I'm still unsure about it and my question went unanswered, but I should point out that Delta is currently in 3rd place at Boston behind JetBlue and American. Delta handles 12.36% of traffic compared to JB's 30.73%. Delta is making a push to regain their spot as number one, but it's going to take a while, and during that same time JetBlue will be meeting it's goal of 200 daily outbound flights (up from the current ~150/day).

It depends on what you need flights for and all that, and both carriers seem fine to me, but unless you have a specific Delta route you've got your eye on JB might be a better option just because of the number of seats you can redeem your rewards on.

I don't mean to "well actually" you, and I know that you probably mean "bigger" as in worldwide operation size, but just something to consider if you weren't aware.

I'm still waiting on some feedback and doing some research of my own but I'm about to pull the trigger on the JB Plus card but I'd like someone knowledgable to do a quick side by side with Delta. I'd take either because I have no interest in flying American if I can help it, and will probably be redeeming on BOS-SFO anyway.

e: just saw your reply animal, that doesn't seem so great :/

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 3, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

THF13 posted:

Good timing. Signed up for this, and shortly there after got a fraud alert because some shitstains tried to open a line of credit with Nordstroms in my name. Guess it's time for another round of credit freezes. :rolleyes:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Good timing. Signed up for this, and shortly there after got a fraud alert because some shitstains tried to open a line of credit with Nordstroms in my name. Guess it's time for another round of credit freezes. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Equifax Era! The silver lining is that now that you've been the victim of identity theft, you can file a police report, get free credit freezes/unfreezes for life, and even apply for a new social security#.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

astral posted:

Welcome to the Equifax Era! The silver lining is that now that you've been the victim of identity theft, you can file a police report, get free credit freezes/unfreezes for life, and even apply for a new social security#.

Yeaahhh I was part of the OPM breach, so I've been dealing with this poo poo on and off for a while. The last go-round was with a Walmart card (two attempts in the same month), along with someone attempting to file for unemployment benefits in my name. Filed for fraud alerts, and tried to file a police report over the phone, and was told I could only do it in person. Never took the time to do it, and kinda forgot about it after a few months. So far none of these people have succeeded in getting anything out of my or my credit except for a bunch of my time wasted calling banks and sitting in a Social Security Administration waiting room (was told my address on file wasn't correct when I checked in on the unemployment thing, freaked out and thought I was truly hosed, turns out you gotta give them your address at birth...).

Anyway yeah, time to bite the bullet and go chat with the fuzz. So annoying.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Yeaahhh I was part of the OPM breach, so I've been dealing with this poo poo on and off for a while. The last go-round was with a Walmart card (two attempts in the same month), along with someone attempting to file for unemployment benefits in my name. Filed for fraud alerts, and tried to file a police report over the phone, and was told I could only do it in person. Never took the time to do it, and kinda forgot about it after a few months. So far none of these people have succeeded in getting anything out of my or my credit except for a bunch of my time wasted calling banks and sitting in a Social Security Administration waiting room (was told my address on file wasn't correct when I checked in on the unemployment thing, freaked out and thought I was truly hosed, turns out you gotta give them your address at birth...).

Anyway yeah, time to bite the bullet and go chat with the fuzz. So annoying.

My condolences; best of luck getting all of that sorted out.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

THF13 posted:

Thanks for this. Already got approved!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Whoa, this is new to me - Chase sent me an e-mail confirming I'd get the points for a Chase Sapphire Preferred referral I gave a friend. Haven't referred anyone in a while so they may have been doing this for a bit, but it's definitely cool to get an e-mail about it now instead of wondering whether or not it worked correctly.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
No idea if this is actually working but according to this email I got, Chase Southwest card is offering CA residents a companion pass as a sign up bonus. That's a huge offer.
see here: http://madfientist.cardratings.com/cards/18
Note thats a referral link from another site (not mine), but I consider them reputable. I'm not in CA so I couldn't get the offer to show up, but for a companion pass it's worth a shot.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hbf posted:

No idea if this is actually working but according to this email I got, Chase Southwest card is offering CA residents a companion pass as a sign up bonus. That's a huge offer.
see here: http://madfientist.cardratings.com/cards/18
Note thats a referral link from another site (not mine), but I consider them reputable. I'm not in CA so I couldn't get the offer to show up, but for a companion pass it's worth a shot.

Was posted about before:

Blinkman987 posted:

Everybody who lives in CA and doesn't get hosed by the Chase 5/24 rule can get a companion pass

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/sw-companion-pass-offer-all-california-residents/

I'll repost my reply:

Note that now Chase also has some new wording about only holding one card in the southwest card family - so, once they fully straighten out the IT involved, this might be the only simple way to get a companion pass in the future.

Here's a clean, non-affiliate non-referral link:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/PlusCali
Edit: Offer ends: 11/30/17

astral fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 7, 2017

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Around late July I applied for an Amazon Visa and got denied due to length of credit history (around 10 months on my only account at that time).

Since then my score has gone up from 715 to 719 (Transunion) mainly due to the fact that I've been added as an authorized user on another card with a relatively high limit.

Also when I originally applied, I was dumb and reported a substantially lower income than what I actually have (I thought they wanted my AGI from my last tax filing which was stupidly low due to expenses).

My hard pulls on TU are at 3.

Is it worth reapplying, or is it still too soon? Should I just chill until my oldest card is 2 years old or something like that?

I don't need the card or anything, but December is normally the month I spend the most and it'd be nice to be able to turn some of that spending into rewards.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Around late July I applied for an Amazon Visa and got denied due to length of credit history (around 10 months on my only account at that time).

Since then my score has gone up from 715 to 719 (Transunion) mainly due to the fact that I've been added as an authorized user on another card with a relatively high limit.

Also when I originally applied, I was dumb and reported a substantially lower income than what I actually have (I thought they wanted my AGI from my last tax filing which was stupidly low due to expenses).

My hard pulls on TU are at 3.

Is it worth reapplying, or is it still too soon? Should I just chill until my oldest card is 2 years old or something like that?

I don't need the card or anything, but December is normally the month I spend the most and it'd be nice to be able to turn some of that spending into rewards.

You should be fine for the Amazon Visa now; Chase likes to see at least one year of credit history before considering you.

You might also want to consider the Discover It card, which has 5% (10% if in your first cardmember year - 5% now and earned cashback doubles at the end of your first year) back at both Amazon and Target this quarter, and 1% (doubles to 2%) everywhere else.

Calendar of the quarterly categories: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

If you sign up, make sure to look upthread for a goon referral - for whatever reason, the referral system gets you an extra $50 (doubles to $100) signup bonus that you can't get anywhere else. It's a pretty solid card; I personally just reached the end of my first year and got the match.

edit: Also next time if you get denied for a card make sure to call the reconsideration line! Especially if you realize you didn't report the right income or whatever.

e2: I posted some advice a little earlier about how to get some really good value out of the wholesale club quarters too.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 7, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm 6 months from being at exactly 5/24 and 10 months from being at 2/24. So I think I'm going to try to hold off on any new cards so I can get a chase card or two.

I've already upgraded my Amex Blue Cash to the preferred to get a $250 credit. Anyone know if I can get similar upgrade deals out of Amex, Barclays or BoA? Or do I just have to call?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm 6 months from being at exactly 5/24 and 10 months from being at 2/24. So I think I'm going to try to hold off on any new cards so I can get a chase card or two.

I've already upgraded my Amex Blue Cash to the preferred to get a $250 credit. Anyone know if I can get similar upgrade deals out of Amex, Barclays or BoA? Or do I just have to call?

Amex is the only one I ever hear about doing that (other than Barclays did offer people a spending bonus upon switching their Sally Mae), and it's for cards in the same family (ED->EDP, BCE->BCP, PRG->Plat, BRG->Business Plat, whatever the basic hilton card is called->Surpass, etc).

Note that you only really want to do this if you already received a signup bonus for the higher-tier card already, because by upgrading you lose your ability to get the regular signup bonus on the higher-tier card forever. However, if you already got the signup bonus on the higher-tier card, you are still eligible for the upgrade bonus from the lower-tier card. But they also don't let you apply for a new card that would result in you holding two cards in the same 'family' in most cases (BCE/BCP, ED/EDP are the ones I hear about this happening the most).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have a Visa Hilton Honors card now, but that is switching to Amex in January. I have pretty much only carried one CC, and I'd like to make sure I still have a Visa or Mastercard since Amex isn't as widely accepted. I'm thinking of just going to a general cash back card. Is something like the Chase Freedom the best option for that? I only fly one to two times a year, and I stay at hotels maybe 4-5 nights a year, so I think a travel card is mostly going to be wasted on me. I don't care about APR.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have a Visa Hilton Honors card now, but that is switching to Amex in January. I have pretty much only carried one CC, and I'd like to make sure I still have a Visa or Mastercard since Amex isn't as widely accepted. I'm thinking of just going to a general cash back card. Is something like the Chase Freedom the best option for that? I only fly one to two times a year, and I stay at hotels maybe 4-5 nights a year, so I think a travel card is mostly going to be wasted on me. I don't care about APR.

Chase Freedom Visa for rotating 5% categories and 1% on everything else isn't a bad idea (and comes with a $150 signup bonus on $500 spend); nor is Citibank's Double Cash (2% back, broken down into 1% on purchases and 1% on payments) MasterCard. Chase also offers a 1.5% back on everything Visa card, the Chase Freedom Unlimited (and comes with a $150 signup bonus on $500 spend).

Fidelity also offers a 2% cash back Visa card with $100 signup bonus when spending $1k.

Make sure to get a friend or family member to refer you for either of the Chase cards; it'll give them an extra $100.

Edit: Another fantastic option is to sign up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature (annual fee waived first year), it has a signup bonus 50k in UR points (worth $500 if redeemed as cash, or more if redeemed for travel) after $4k in spend within 3months. Earns 2% back as UR points on travel and dining, 1% back in UR points on everything else. UR points are worth at least one cent each. After the first year, you could convert it to the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Same thing about getting a friend/relative to refer.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ok thanks. I'll probably go the Chase Sapphire Preferred and switch over to the Freedom after the first year. I shouldn't have an issue spending $4k in 3 months to get the bonus points.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Say I charge $10,000 of airline flights per month on average on a card with no guarantee on any particular airline. Are there any cards that are going to be more efficient than the Sapphire Reserve?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Say I charge $10,000 of airline flights per month on average on a card with no guarantee on any particular airline. Are there any cards that are going to be more efficient than the Sapphire Reserve?

Open a card with every airline for free upgrades all day erryday?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Virtue posted:

Open a card with every airline for free upgrades all day erryday?

In this scenario all of the flights are already business class and at 1K/Platinum/Diamond.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Amex Platinum gets 5x points on airfare purchases, so 5x Amex MR versus 3x Chase UR. Or just keep opening up new cards for the sign up bonuses.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

In this scenario all of the flights are already business class and at 1K/Platinum/Diamond.

Good lawd this gives me the vapors.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Amex Platinum gets 5x points on airfare purchases, so 5x Amex MR versus 3x Chase UR. Or just keep opening up new cards for the sign up bonuses.

Downside to the Amex is no trip delay protection, and if you're flying that often you'll run into some delays. :)

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

The Amex Platinum would be great except that all of these flights have to be booked via an agent to qualify for reimbursement. Small price to pay for the ability to get rewards on monthly international business class fares though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've made some bad purchase and budgeting choices and have about 10k outstanding in credit card debt. I'd like to open a 0% APR balance transfer card to consolidate this debt onto to have everything in one place and to avoid interest charges. Citi says my FICO score is 726 while Barclaycard says it's 724.

What is my best option here? Nerdwallet lists the Discover It (0% for 18 months, doesn't mention transfer fees), Citi Simplicity (0% for 21 months, 3% transfer fee), and Chase Slate (0% for 15 months, no transfer fee). The only problem I forsee is that the cards I want to consolidate from are a Citi AAdvantage card and a Chase CSP, so I'm not sure if I would be able to transfer from eg Citi to Citi or not.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BofA has one with no transfer fee and up to 15 months I think. That would allow you to get your Chase and citi transferred.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cacafuego posted:

BofA has one with no transfer fee and up to 15 months I think. That would allow you to get your Chase and citi transferred.

Does that mean I'm right to think that I wouldn't be able to balance transfer from eg my Chase CSP onto that Chase Slate card and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does that mean I'm right to think that I wouldn't be able to balance transfer from eg my Chase CSP onto that Chase Slate card and so on?

Correct