Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Man, everyone is going to use the HBG in Monster Hunter Worlds and I won't feel special for being the only person stupid and boring enough to use it like in every other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's why I use hammer

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i won't be able to decide between finally trying out a ranged weapon or hunting horn or sticking with my original love the charge blade until weeks after release

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It's a hard choice between doing sick nasty LS counters or bouncing around in the air using IG.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Theta Zero posted:

Man, everyone is going to use the HBG in Monster Hunter Worlds and I won't feel special for being the only person stupid and boring enough to use it like in every other game.

yea I'm extremely offended all these johnny come lates are gonna bite my stupid style. You guys didn't earn that cool mobile cannon, I had to suffer through countless groups assuming I'm an idiot and generations of boring gun design! :bahgawd:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm extremely offended all these johnny come lates are gonna bite my stupid style. You guys didn't earn that cool mobile cannon, I had to suffer through countless groups assuming I'm an idiot and generations of boring gun design! :bahgawd:

This post is like me in a nutshell except with SnS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it will be tempting to go back to my main man the switch axe but everything just looks so good, and so much of it wasn't in the monster hunter I played. Gunlance? Glaive with fancy high flying aerial attacks? Bowguns with actual TPS controls? how am I supposed to only use one of these at once?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

how am I supposed to only use one of these at once?

:ssh: don't

gonna switch weapons all the time and play everything, it's gonna be great

also nice trailer, can't wait to fight the spookybois in the flesh caves

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
You're not really playing Monster Hunter until you're building/have at least 1 set for every weapon in the game. :colbert:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://gfycat.com/WarmAnotherDeinonychus

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Hunt everything with everything. Great hunters are flexible!!

[quote="“7c Nickel”" post="“477908388”"]
https://gfycat.com/WarmAnotherDeinonychus
[/quote]

This is only good if I can /kick over the headstone

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
You're not playing real Monster Hunter until you farm five different monsters to make a set just to farm one specific monster to make a weapon to farm another monster. Of course the real problem is for another month and a bit none of us are playing the new Monster Hunter. :(

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 31, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did they do betas for other monster hunters? if so how much content did they have and did progress transfer to the whole game?

I'm going to unashamedly treat this as a demo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the ones on Nintendo systems had demos (I can't speak for others), which usually had three monsters to hunt of different difficulties. you could choose whatever weapon you wanted and there were premade gear sets which were generally not great.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The "Beta" is just going to be the demo they've been showing at events.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

"Beta" (Read: Demo) for PS4 on Dec 9th as well, that's pretty dope. New monsters look great, they really pulled out all of the stops with these designs.

Meanwhile Dauntless still isn't out. Are they just trying to cash in on the preorders and then let the game die? They could announce MH World's PC release anytime.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dual blades look really fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elman posted:

Meanwhile Dauntless still isn't out. Are they just trying to cash in on the preorders and then let the game die? They could announce MH World's PC release anytime.

This may shock you, but video games take a long time to make. I haven't really been following it, but as far as I'm aware they've been updating the alpha at a pretty decent pace.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

it will be tempting to go back to my main man the switch axe but everything just looks so good, and so much of it wasn't in the monster hunter I played. Gunlance? Glaive with fancy high flying aerial attacks? Bowguns with actual TPS controls? how am I supposed to only use one of these at once?

Dat switch Axe finisher tho.

Theta Zero posted:

I am interested to try one of the guns with proper analog sticks. But naw, Switch axe and dual blades for slower versatility and gently caress you speed. I wanna plaaaaaay

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

This may shock you, but video games take a long time to make. I haven't really been following it, but as far as I'm aware they've been updating the alpha at a pretty decent pace.

Yeah sorry, I'm just against the whole "pay $60 to gain beta access to this f2p game" thing :shobon:

It does look good and I wanna give it a chance, but I can't help thinking they're running against the clock here.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Digirat posted:

Did they do betas for other monster hunters? if so how much content did they have and did progress transfer to the whole game?

I'm going to unashamedly treat this as a demo

No, but they aren't doing a beta for this one, either. It's just the trade show demo - the same one we've seen tons of footage of. They're calling it a beta because for like 10 years now we've been living in a bizzaro world where the industry has collectively forgotten what beta means and just called demos that. Also, so they have an excuse to revoke access to it after three days. Probably also so they can call it PS4 exclusive but still release the same demo later for Xbox and PC, calling it a demo this time.

Anyway, mini-rant over. Progress will not carry over, no, and in terms of content it will have two maps (Ancient Forest and Wildspire Wastes), three quests (Hunt a Great Jagras, Hunt a Barroth, and Hunt an Anjanath) which will be misleadingly labeled easy, medium, and hard. There will also be roaming monster guest appearances by Rathalos, Diablos, and Jyuratodas. So a total of six monsters to fight, a handful of armor sets, and one of each weapon type to experiment with.

Also, while this may or may not be the case this time around, be aware that Monster Hunter demos traditionally fudge the numbers to make the gameplay feel good, rather than to represent the final product. This means monsters will probably have less health and not hit as hard, but also that damage numbers on specific weapons and skill points on specific pieces of armor will probably not be representative of the stats of those specific items in the final release.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I feel as though making long-requested changes to literally every other facet of the game, and then keeping the beta as the trade show demo as opposed to making it a vertical slice of gameplay like everybody has wanted since forever, makes no sense at all but then again this is Capcom we're talking about here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hah ok so it really is just a transparently misnamed demo. I really wish beta would just mean beta these days.

So years ago I read about one monster hunter with some awful crap where you could only ever get a subset of all the charms in the game and which ones you could get was seeded when you created your save. so if you didn't know about that "feature" and about some obtuse way to check what set you rolled, or didn't want to keep making saves and hoping you got the right one, you could be hosed out of getting the best charms. Have any later games done anything like that? What's the likelihood of world having something along those lines and making it a good idea to wait on the game until people have uncovered it?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

That was 3U, and it was a bug. The charm table, basically the collection of charms you can get, was supposed to change every time you loaded a save, but the function to do it never got called.

It's the only game in the series with that particular problem, and you shouldn't have to worry about it ever happening again. Apparently World even has charm crafting.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Hah ok so it really is just a transparently misnamed demo. I really wish beta would just mean beta these days.

So years ago I read about one monster hunter with some awful crap where you could only ever get a subset of all the charms in the game and which ones you could get was seeded when you created your save. so if you didn't know about that "feature" and about some obtuse way to check what set you rolled, or didn't want to keep making saves and hoping you got the right one, you could be hosed out of getting the best charms. Have any later games done anything like that? What's the likelihood of world having something along those lines and making it a good idea to wait on the game until people have uncovered it?

If it has online, then it could be a server stress test too. Which they call betas

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well if it's a stress test I'd expect it to be called a stress test :colbert: good to know that charm thing was just a bug though. Unfortunately it's a little too believable for that kind of thing to be intentional with how obtuse these games have been, so when I first read about it I thought it was a "feature." World being so open about its quality of life improvements and transparency about things (damage numbers, monster weaknesses, building prerequisites, etc) in spite of the diehard tryhards is a big reason I'm so excited for it

I'm not seeing any underwater action. Did they take out underwater fighting after tri?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

I'm not seeing any underwater action. Did they take out underwater fighting after tri?

yes thank loving god

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I don't really care what they call it so long as I can, once again, learn yet another new way to play the Gunlance --- again :eng99:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Take this with a huge grain of salt... but a monster list *may* have leaked. It was posted to pastebin on October 25th, contains names of monsters that got revealed at the Playstation event, and was deleted shortly after people started sharing it.

If the list is correct and complete, it seems there will be 35 large monsters, 16 of which are returning, the rest new to World. Subspecies are returning, and a few notable unanounced returning monsters are Lunastra , Alatreon and of course Deviljho .

Full list below; keep in mind that this is a rumor and thenonly evidence its true is that it contained three names of monsters announced after it was posted. Also it may be incomplete.

リオレイア Rathian

リオレイア亜種 Pink Rathian

リオレウス Rathalos

リオレウス亜種 Azure Rathalos

ディアブロス Diablos

ディアブロス亜種 Black Diablos

キリン Kirin

キリン亜種 Oroshi Kirin

クシャルダオラ Kushala Daora

ナナ・テスカトリ Lunastra

テオ・テスカトル Teostra

ヴォルガノス Lavasioth

イビルジョー Deviljho

ボルボロス Barroth

ウラガンキン Uragaan

アルバトリオン Alatreon

アンジャナフ Anjanath

ドスジャグラス Great Jagras

プケプケ Pukei-Pukei

ネルギガンテ Nergigante

ゼノ・ジーヴァ Xeno'jiiva

ゾラ・マグダラオス Zorah Magdaros

クルルヤック Kulu-Ya-Ku

ジュラトドス Jyuratodus

トビカガチ Tobi-Kadachi

パオウルム Paolumu

レイギエナ Legiana

ドスギルオス Great Girros

オドガロン Odogaron

ラドバルキン Radobaan

ヴァルハザク Vaal Hazak

ドドガマル Dodogama

財宝ドラゴン "Treasure Dragon"

バゼルギウス Bazelgeuse

ツィツィヤック Tzitzi-Ya-Ku

Also, these seem to be small monster names:

ジャグラス Jagras

メルノス Mernos

ケストドン Kestodon

ガジャウ Gajau

ラフィノス Raphinos

シャムオス Shamos

バルノス Barnos

ギルオス Girros

ガストドン Gastodon

ノイオス Noios

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Underwater hasn't been in the last 3 games has it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

バゼルギウス Bazelgeuse

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

No, thankfully.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Underwater was fine

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

No, only Tri and 3 Ultimate (maybe also Portable 3rd? Not positive on that one). It was removed in 4 and never came back.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

dragon enthusiast posted:

Underwater was fine

If you played gunlance yes

Anything else hahahaha gently caress no

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Haquer posted:

If you played gunlance yes

Anything else hahahaha gently caress no

I played regular lance and underwater owned.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Funkmaster General posted:

I played regular lance and underwater owned.

Now play Greatsword underwater.

E: Not to mention that monsters were highly mobile underwater while your character got even more clunky.

gently caress underwater combat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Underwater was fine

Underwater combat was awful. It made me quit 3U.

I only came back for 4U partially because it had no underwater combat. The other part was Isabelle cat armor.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't want to play a monster hunter game without zinogre in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Terrific Accident posted:

I don't want to play a monster hunter game without zinogre in it.

Counterpoint: I'd love to play a Monster Hunter game without Rajang in it.

• Locked thread