Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

"an internet culture where you don’t take anything too seriously and has an appreciation for gimmicks and long-running jokes."

MUCH LIKE YOUR POSTING

grats on the interview brah, maybe I'll finally download instantgram and twitter at ya pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

That owns. I would say it pays to see a passion come to fruition through investing in and knowing the food community, but... I'm sure your payment isn't monetary.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

That owns. I would say it pays to see a passion come to fruition through investing in and knowing the food community, but... I'm sure your payment isn't monetary.

I was very happy to see another Superchomp. Nice work!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
made it in to a mano in o4w tonight.

was pleasantly, well, maybe not surprised because I had high hopes for the place - but was pleasantly satisfied, in any case.

the service was definitely caring/trying, the smaller dishes we had (cacio e pepe, cauliflower) were outstanding, our main (roast chicken) was lackluster, wine (draft on tap, $30 for a bottle's worth) was above average for a house wine, decor was pretty nifty - bill for two with a bottle of wine and split entree was $68+tip

I'm sort of glad it took so long to open - the details on the place (crazy stupid video security camera system, brand new kitchen, nice deck, custom mini-booths) make it clear someone spent a whole lot of loving time planning that poo poo out. doesn't have the kinda 'ford fry let's just pay an interior designer consultant $100k to slap some poo poo in here' feel, more like someone really cared about doing the thing right, and on a reasonable budget. just my impression anyways.

I'll go back a time or two before I'd call it 'good', but a decent first showing for sure.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It has been on my shortlist of places to go. I may give it a run this weekend. I drove by it a bunch when it was being built and finished and I always liked the look of it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

We went last week and had a good time too

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I'm going to be in downtown Atlanta for a conference for a few days without a car. Does anyone have any recommendations while I'm there? I eat pretty much everything, and long lines and prices aren't an issue for places that shouldn't be missed. Ambiance and service aren't that important as long as the food's good.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tiramisu posted:

I'm going to be in downtown Atlanta for a conference for a few days without a car. Does anyone have any recommendations while I'm there? I eat pretty much everything, and long lines and prices aren't an issue for places that shouldn't be missed. Ambiance and service aren't that important as long as the food's good.

Downtown is not too great. Basically nobody lives downtown, so there isn't much to recommend and much of it is only open to service the work week lunch crowd (ex: Aviva by Kameel is open M-F 7:30a-4p).

Are willing to use a taxi/Uber/Lyft? If so, you'll have many more options. Also, when will you be eating (ex: work week dinner, weekend lunch/dinner, etc)?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

venutolo posted:

Downtown is not too great. Basically nobody lives downtown, so there isn't much to recommend and much of it is only open to service the work week lunch crowd (ex: Aviva by Kameel is open M-F 7:30a-4p).

Are willing to use a taxi/Uber/Lyft? If so, you'll have many more options. Also, when will you be eating (ex: work week dinner, weekend lunch/dinner, etc)?

Yeah, Uber/taxis are totally fine. I'll be in town from Sunday through Tuesday so I'll have a bit of time to try a few places at least. I'm mostly looking at lunch and dinner options.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

made it in to a mano in o4w tonight.

was pleasantly, well, maybe not surprised because I had high hopes for the place - but was pleasantly satisfied, in any case.

I went to A Mano tonight. Good stuff. Burrata had a really tasty tomato jam which I loved what it added to the dish. Cacio e pepe was solid. Porchetta was quite good and I rather enjoyed the texture and touch of sweetness from a molasses glaze. I'll definitely look to give it a second run in the near future and probably get some combination of the octopus, carbonara, fusilli, trout, and cauliflower.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tiramisu posted:

The Eater 38 list is a pretty good list if you want to look at that.

I'll just list some things I'd recommend to someone from out-of-town that are near-ish to downtown (limited to Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Reynoldstown, and Midtown).

Staplehouse is probably the best reviewed restaurant in Atlanta and one that gets national acclaim. If you are into frou-frou food, that's your spot. You won't be able to get a reservation, but there is a small (8 person?) bar that serves walk-ins. If you want to eat there, I suggest showing up 30 minutes before opening (and maybe 45 if you really want to go and this is your only shot) to be among the initial seating.

Homegrown (or Mary Mac's or Busy Bee) if you are not from the South and want to try some Southern stuff. Comfy Chicken at Homegrown is great.

Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q for some BBQ if you are from a non-BBQ region. Atlanta, and Georgia, doesn't really have a strong BBQ tradition and we have a handful of BBQ places that all do things a bit different. Fox Bros does their own kind of thing that mixes some Texas influence with their own take on BBQ. If you come from a BBQ region, like Texas, you might be disappointed that they don't do things the way you want or to whatever standards, and you can get good BBQ back home, so I'd skip it.

Krog Street Market or Ponce City Market to see the food halls which have been popular. I much prefer Krog. At Krog, I recommend Ticonderoga Club for a good sit-down meal, and (I'm told) really good cocktails. I also recommend Fred's Meat and Bread for what I think is Atlanta's best collection of sandwiches. At Ponce, I most recommend El Super Pan, Dub's Fish Camp, and Botiwalla.

8 Arm for good biscuits, avocado toast (with crab), and a good dinner menu (seafood options recommended).

Talat Market for "Georgian" Thai. Really good flavors. This is a pop-up in a small place. I suggest showing up 15 minutes before opening to get a seat.

Bon Ton for some Vietnamese Cajun food. Really good stuff and a new favorite of mine. Like with the BBQ recommendation, if you are from the Gulf Coast, this might be something to skip.

Bocca Lupo has really good Italian American stuff, especially pasta, while being well priced.

If you want something particular to Atlanta, then search out some lemon pepper wings. They're kind of having a moment right now. Get them at J. R. Cricket's, American Deli, or elsewhere.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
I just moved within walking distance to 8arm and lord is that highbrow Egg McMuffin the greatest thing on earth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Illegal Food just closed out of nowhere and the scuttlebutt is their landlord kicked them out for no reason.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that sucks. They also posted that the rent had tripled. I hope they are able to relocate soon and get back on their feet. This year I've really grown to love their stuff and think their patty melt is among my favorite items around.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Owners explain why they closed here

https://whatnowatlanta.com/illegal-food-owners-set-the-record-straight-closure/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
That's interesting to read that side of things. The restaurant business is rough.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

venutolo posted:

That's interesting to read that side of things. The restaurant business is rough.

Sounds like there won't be a re-open.

RIP Okonomiyaki-style Fries.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The plot thickens: Illegal Food Chef, GM Sue Owners for Wage Theft

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Went to A Mano again and had another good meal. Would definitely strongly recommend the charred octopus, burrata, ravioli, and cauliflower.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Was in town last weekend for the beer festival, went to three places of note that I would all highly recommend to any fellow out-of-towner who pops into this thread looking for something more surface level than the deep local discussion here:

Aviva by Kameel lived up to the reputation for us, the service is obviously extremely friendly, I had some delicious salmon kebab daily special and really liked both of my sides, my girlfriend loved her lamb, and they gave us multiple free samples of things like figs and lentil soup. Pricey (ed: for food court food), but quite delicious.

Desta was excellent, I got the veggie plate and absolutely loved probably 75% of the dishes, the injera was a little bit less tart than I've had in my past experiences but quite delicious anyhow, my girlfriend got some kind of beef stew thing that she also loved. I'd love to try more of the Ethiopian places in ATL since there's only one that I know of here in central Florida.

Herbun Kitchen (I think this is the name) for Sunday vegan brunch was absolutely incredible for me, totally worth the 25 bucks, a wide array of cool dishes, some with mock meat dishes for people who like that sort of thing (I loved them, personally) but also a lot of good salads and buns and things like that. It's easy to be cynical about this place because a lot of it is deep-fried/oily/heavily sauced, but it was a goddamn tasty meal and it's rare as a 99% of the time vegetarian to really indulge like this.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 27, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Been a few years since I was in Atlanta, but I'll be there this weekend and looking for suggestions. I've done restaurant eugene, holeman & finch, jct kitchen, 00 and a bunch more I can't recall by name. Will be staying downtown but have a car, willing to travel, price not a concern. What's good, goons?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went back to staplehouse the other night. it was pretty good. spent surprisingly a lot less money doing it ala carte. I think we somehow spent like $140, including a $60 bottle of wine. food was good, a couple misses though. still some of the more interesting food in the city.

hauki, if you aren't going to be disappointed if you don't get in, I'd roll up around 8:45-9 and ask if they have any bar seats available. you have to make RSVPs months in advance, but there were multiple tables open soon after we sat down for our 8:15 reservation on a friday, and 3-4 bar seats too. we saw one or two couples roll in without reservations and get seated no problem. If you don't get in, go to any one of the million good restaurants around inman park.

went to food terminal again tonight too, place seems solid. some really good food, but goddamnit I am always there with only one other person, where clearly we need at least 4-5 other people to really make a run of it. goonmeet? I feel like I've only scratched 1/12th of their menu in two visits.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 31, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

went back to staplehouse the other night. it was pretty good. spent surprisingly a lot less money doing it ala carte. I think we somehow spent like $140, including a $60 bottle of wine. food was good, a couple misses though. still some of the more interesting food in the city.

hauki, if you aren't going to be disappointed if you don't get in, I'd roll up around 8:45-9 and ask if they have any bar seats available. you have to make RSVPs months in advance, but there were multiple tables open soon after we sat down for our 8:15 reservation on a friday, and 3-4 bar seats too. we saw one or two couples roll in without reservations and get seated no problem. If you don't get in, go to any one of the million good restaurants around inman park.

went to food terminal again tonight too, place seems solid. some really good food, but goddamnit I am always there with only one other person, where clearly we need at least 4-5 other people to really make a run of it. goonmeet? I feel like I've only scratched 1/12th of their menu in two visits.

Word, yeah we're pretty flexible. I'll try to check it out. Might give a mano a shot since I saw it mentioned upthread. While I'm in here, anything unique & not food-centric in Atlanta I should check out? I haven't had much straight leisure time there, but we're pretty open this time.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Hauki posted:

Been a few years since I was in Atlanta, but I'll be there this weekend and looking for suggestions. I've done restaurant eugene, holeman & finch, jct kitchen, 00 and a bunch more I can't recall by name. Will be staying downtown but have a car, willing to travel, price not a concern. What's good, goons?

As mentioned above, see if you can get into Staplehouse. 8 Arm is about a year old and very good. Bon Ton is about a half-year old and also very good. A Mano is very new (5 or 6 weeks at this point) and I've rather enjoyed it (burrata, octopus, ravioli, fusilli, cauliflower, porchetta all recommended). Krog Street Market houses a handful of restaurants/counters. Fred's at Krog Street Market has the best sandwiches around in my opinion.

If you are interested in what I think is the single best thing about Atlanta food, I suggest you visit Buford Highway. It is a stretch of road that has tons of "ethnic" cuisine. You'll find stuff from all over Latin America and East Asia. It is worth a drive to just see all of it. Among my favorites are Yet Tuh for Korean, Quoc Huong for banh mi, Mamak and Food Terminal for Malaysian, and El Rey del Taco for tacos.

There's also good Korean up in Duluth if you want to go that far. 9292 for KBBQ. Thank U Chicken for Korean fried chicken.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hauki posted:

Word, yeah we're pretty flexible. I'll try to check it out. Might give a mano a shot since I saw it mentioned upthread. While I'm in here, anything unique & not food-centric in Atlanta I should check out? I haven't had much straight leisure time there, but we're pretty open this time.

There's some cool outdoorsy stuff if that's your thing. Up round dahlonega (hr drive) are cool mountainy hiking trails. Redtop mountain is about 25-30 from downtown and pretty unique.

In town, I second buford highway. You can grab bahn mi and watch planes land near the publically open viewing area next to air traffic control at PDK airport, right next to the CDC.

There are fun dives all around town, funtime bowl is great, mary's in east atlanta always a good time (esp on drag nights), ridiculous browatching on crescent ave, I'd give you 45 seconds walking around after 11pm on a weekend without seeing a fight, a girl crying, or someone puking. If you're down to get raunchy, follies is a win, cheetah is a little more family friendly... magic city is... well... magic city. And I hear the clairmont is back, though it was all $20 covers and buckhead bros last time I went, no fun.

Piedmont park is nice and has a public pool... lots of fun breweries around town, orpheus, eventide, sweetwater, etc...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

it's time to make it back to a mano imo

http://www.creativeloafing.com/food...dd-9170adb32291

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hit up bar mercado this evening. decent showing. most of what we had was tasty, and the price points were pretty good. I'm usually the critic, but my better half was moreso this time - it was kind of her outing, so I guess I'll give it to her. "If I had never eaten at any of their other restaurants (Iberian pig, cooks & soldiers), I'd think they didn't know what tapas were, and would have been disappointed. but I know they know, so their creative approach was good" - we had a few dishes were advertised as a Thing that was probably just a take on a Thing, which I think was the veiled objection. Something clearly meant to be a gazpacho that was very clearly not a gazpacho, a creme brulee without a custard and with a spongecake, that sort of thing. technical objections. all pretty delicious though.

I thought all that was overly harsh, enjoyed it, and thankful for a spanish place other than barcelona wine bar in the hood!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ber Mercardo is on my short list of places to go. One friend has highly recommended it.

mindphlux posted:

Something clearly meant to be a gazpacho that was very clearly not a gazpacho

Salmorejo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Ber Mercardo is on my short list of places to go. One friend has highly recommended it.

Salmorejo

aha! thanks for taking us to school. it seemed way too intentional to be a messed up gazpacho, and it was delicious. wanna eat it again.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Did Bar Mercado tonight. Good, but didn't blow me away and doesn't immediately jump into my evergrowing list of favorites. Paleta Iberico de Bellota, salmorejo, crema Catalana, and the service was very good. The rest of it was not bad in any way, but just didn't hit the right spot for me. Definitely want to go back and try more dishes to see if there's other stuff I'd love.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ugh, got an invite to friends and family at golden eagle. the free food was nice, and the food wasn't horrible per se - but their menu/pricepoint I just don't get. I hate to pile on the r-town/c-town haters who already burnt the place to the ground over the questionable renovation decisions, but I give this place 8 months tops. muchacho is similarly lol. you know what I want with my coffee? tacos! and poke bowls!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Anybody took the plunge on Rose + Rye at that Castle-thing yet? It seems to have opened/may well be open today....they don't quite have the Menu up yet, but they do have a site to go with alongside the Eater article and whatnot from a few weeks back.

http://roserye.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

ugh, got an invite to friends and family at golden eagle. the free food was nice, and the food wasn't horrible per se - but their menu/pricepoint I just don't get. I hate to pile on the r-town/c-town haters who already burnt the place to the ground over the questionable renovation decisions, but I give this place 8 months tops. muchacho is similarly lol. you know what I want with my coffee? tacos! and poke bowls!

I went to Muchacho last week. I didn't think very much of the tacos, but I kind of suspect that others will like them more than I did. Poke bowl was good and had distinctly more fish than most other poke bowls. Had a buñuelo, which was very good. The outdoor seating was very nice, but if the weather is cold/wet, there's very limited indoor seating. I suspect that it will get good reviews, but it is probably not a place I'm going to visit much.

On a geographically related note, I went to Petit Chou (about a half mile west of Muchacho on Memorial) and really liked it. Small, focused menu and I enjoyed my food. I really liked the interior of the place. I'm definitely working it into my brunch rotation.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, petit chou I do actually like. I have been getting avacado toast with ham added on, and it's a pretty ace breakfast. croque madame is solid also.

poke bowls are an abomination in the face of god, so dunno on that one. just give me some sashimi man.

edit : also, what I find really weird about muchacho/golden eagle, is that they've pretty clearly employed a couple locals (or have some investor friends in the neighborhood), who are on social media duty. if anyone says anything negative about the place, the same two or three people pop in to diffuse the criticism.

I mean I get it, if I had been preemptively panned on social media before I even opened a restaurant, I'd do the same thing - but it's just surreal to see put into practice. I'd call them out, but I'm an admin on the c-town facebook page, so feel like I'd be overstepping some sort of be-objectively-neutral-mod grounds.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 1, 2017

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Just dropping in to say happy chomp n stomp everybody. We made chili this year and it was a lot of fun!

thenewdeal
Mar 25, 2008
If you liked a mano check out donetto. I thought the meal there was much better. Didn't try any mains but ran through almost every appetizer, pasta, and dessert. I did notice 2 separate tables send their steak back, but they had only been open 2ish weeks at that point.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

thenewdeal posted:

If you liked a mano check out donetto. I thought the meal there was much better. Didn't try any mains but ran through almost every appetizer, pasta, and dessert. I did notice 2 separate tables send their steak back, but they had only been open 2ish weeks at that point.

I actually ate there last night. Service was fantastic. I chatted with the server and manager before ordering, and they sent out a grilled provolone to me, which was a very nice gesture and a dish I enjoyed. The octopus was cooked sous vide and then finished in a pan. I've never had such a tender octopus. The tortelli was pretty good. My hanger steak was cooked very nicely and the onion ash aioli on the plate was tasty. The place is a little more formal than I like, but again, my service was top notch. Overall I'd give it a solid B. I still probably prefer the more casual and a bit less pricey A Mano and BoccaLupo, but a worthwhile visit for me that I'll probably hit up every few months.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Am I missing the obvious somewhere or is there just not some kind of organized website that keeps comprehensive tabs on restaurants of all sorts accessible through more or less walking the Beltline? Ponce City Market(neat place) and Krog Street Market(didn't get a chance to get over there when checking Ponce) things have their little sites covering everything under their direct umbrella, but surely there's a better way than just trawling Zagat and the like to get a grasp on the big picture as it stands and as it develops further seeing as how it definitely looked like there was more construction still to come?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stalizard posted:

Just dropping in to say happy chomp n stomp everybody. We made chili this year and it was a lot of fun!

which team/chili were you? I got to try quite a few of them, curious if we did yours!

numbers were crazy, definitely the crowded-est chomp I've been to. But I think they spaced it out well, wasn't as frenzied as I remember a few of them being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Stalizard posted:

Good times.

mindphlux posted:

which team/chili were you? I got to try quite a few of them, curious if we did yours!

numbers were crazy, definitely the crowded-est chomp I've been to. But I think they spaced it out well, wasn't as frenzied as I remember a few of them being.

Really? It felt more crowded last year. I have a buddy who lives on the park just behind the little greek amphitheater stage, so we just chill out on his back deck and listen to music. He makes a crazy good chili he has won the Stone Mountain Cook Off with, but he doesn't enter the C&S. He also spends all day smoking up a HUGE brisket.

Was a good day. :)