Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty much everyone is heavily armed in the 41st millenium. It's just how things work.

Also, it's Chaos. Pretty sure cults can pray for weapons and out of a warp rift pops a Dark Mechanicus envoy to work out the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's always a nice PDF regiment or two to corrupt or steal from.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cythereal posted:

Also, it's Chaos. Pretty sure cults can pray for weapons and out of a warp rift pops a Dark Mechanicus envoy to work out the details.
That too, but I really love the idea that on worlds like Armageddon or Necromunda people just tool up with plasma weaponry to go shopping.

It's probably why I enjoyed Halo Jones so much TBH.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Chaos likes to hit up Forge Worlds. It's like the Bass Pro Shop of endless war.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been re-reading the Malus Darkblade books and something's been bugging me in Bloodstorm.

When Malus' half-sister Nagaira revives him after he was tortured and introduces him to the slaanish cult, she gives him a mask made from a cured dark elf face and Malus notes it fits him perfectly. Is this supposed to be implying that the mask was made from his face? The next time Malus sees his own face he reacts with shock but he only thinks "Is that how others see me?" without saying why. It's something minor and irrelevant in the long run, but it's bugging me and I don't know why.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I get the impression that those books were very much not written as a coherent story so much as wrapping random details around the comics and hoping it made sense.

Which it did not.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I get the impression that those books were very much not written as a coherent story so much as wrapping random details around the comics and hoping it made sense.

Which it did not.

Look, if you read a book where the main character is named Malus Darkblade I don't think there's any denying that you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pendent posted:

Look, if you read a book where the main character is named Malus Darkblade I don't think there's any denying that you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into.

That's my point. I was hoping for a vaguely competent prose version of the comics with a bit more Abnett dialogue, and instead I got... those books.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Which it did not.

I thought the Malus Darkblade books were coherent and made sense. I mean, they're not the best stories ever written, but I wouldn't say they're bad. I never read the original comics, so I don't know how well they adapt the portion of the comics they cover.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
It may be a a major fake out, but read this description of the upcoming Alpha Legion book. If has what it's suggesting, I will be so loving happy. The Alpha Legion being Tzeetch level schemers who've had a 10,000 year plan to gently caress over Chaos is so 40k.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It may be a a major fake out, but read this description of the upcoming Alpha Legion book. If has what it's suggesting, I will be so loving happy. The Alpha Legion being Tzeetch level schemers who've had a 10,000 year plan to gently caress over Chaos is so 40k.

I was getting wxcited but than I saw

Written by Rob Sanders

And now I'm soft

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I remember the Darkblade series being a great look into how a society of sociopaths could function and really enjoyed it. Maybe I need to reread it, because I was a teenager at the time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Waroduce posted:

Written by Rob Sanders

And now I'm soft

The alpha legionnaire named Occam, boy this is gonna be pretty bad I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yawn. The Alphas are super secretive mega schemers who only get caught or foiled when they want to be, I get it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Waroduce posted:

Written by Rob Sanders

And now I'm soft

I like Rob Sanders, especially when he's writing weird chaos-y stuff. Legion of the Damned, Atlas Infernal, and his Mechanicus books are all a lot of fun.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's Alpha Legion, of course it's a fake out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like Rob Sanders, especially when he's writing weird chaos-y stuff. Legion of the Damned, Atlas Infernal, and his Mechanicus books are all a lot of fun.

Agree, after Legion of the Damned, I'm willing to give that book a shot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cythereal posted:

Yawn. The Alphas are super secretive mega schemers who only get caught or foiled when they want to be, I get it.

Or do they. :thunk:

[spolr]Yes, they do.[/spoler]

Or do they...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Rat posted:

Agree, after Legion of the Damned, I'm willing to give that book a shot.

Yeah, that is easily my favorite 40k stand alone story.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hiro Protagonist posted:

As long as it's better than that Shroud of Night trash.

Seriously, glad I didn't waste my money on that.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MariusLecter posted:

Or do they. :thunk:

[spolr]Yes, they do.[/spoler]

Or do they...

Alternatively, the Alpha Legion inherited what little of the Emperor's honesty and straightforwardness remained, but in the grim darkness of the far future, both contemporary accounts and historical records are so suspicious of such individuals, it is assumed they must be Machiavellian plotters.

Alpha Legionnaire: "Ho, there, Word Bearer! Your serfs make a delicious blood soup! My compliments to the chef!"

Word Bearer Legionnaire: (Damnable hydra! What is his game? Have the soup vats been poisoned? Have the serfs been converted to their side? I must cast the entirety of the lower decks into the warp before his dire games can come to their conclusion!)

Alpha Legionnaire: (Boy, this soup is good. I should get seconds.)

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Alternatively, the Alpha Legion inherited what little of the Emperor's honesty and straightforwardness remained, but in the grim darkness of the far future, both contemporary accounts and historical records are so suspicious of such individuals, it is assumed they must be Machiavellian plotters.

Alpha Legionnaire: "Ho, there, Word Bearer! Your serfs make a delicious blood soup! My compliments to the chef!"

Word Bearer Legionnaire: (Damnable hydra! What is his game? Have the soup vats been poisoned? Have the serfs been converted to their side? I must cast the entirety of the lower decks into the warp before his dire games can come to their conclusion!)

Alpha Legionnaire: (Boy, this soup is good. I should get seconds.)

A legion of this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr9axb7X7E

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Uroboros posted:

I remember the Darkblade series being a great look into how a society of sociopaths could function and really enjoyed it. Maybe I need to reread it, because I was a teenager at the time.

Malus was also really really stupid in an endearing way.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Is Malus that Dark Elf who got himself possessed by a demon trapped in a sword?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

X_Toad posted:

....Drizzit?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

X_Toad posted:

Yup. His whole story is a succession of bad choices made to escape the gently caress-ups caused by other, previous bad choices.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

wiegieman posted:

Yup. His whole story is a succession of bad choices made to escape the gently caress-ups caused by other, previous bad choices.

Yeah it's like choice A is "I don't want to admit I hosed up leading a pirate raid..." and choice Z is "...so it'll be totally cool if I let the demon sword have my soul, right?" and the books are B-Y. The books are also technically a prequel to a bunch of comic books about the dude, but the comics are pretty hard to find while the novels themselves aren't which is some recursive storytelling right there, you know?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Yeah it's like choice A is "I don't want to admit I hosed up leading a pirate raid..." and choice Z is "...so it'll be totally cool if I let the demon sword have my soul, right?" and the books are B-Y. The books are also technically a prequel to a bunch of comic books about the dude, but the comics are pretty hard to find while the novels themselves aren't which is some recursive storytelling right there, you know?

Well, demon trapped in a crystal, not in a sword. Same difference though (the sword is something else and comes into play much, much later). The Malus Darkblade novels are basically the story of a puppet who thinks he's a puppet master, and the only reason he's able to come out ahead is that he's everyone's puppet and he's usually more useful alive than dead to SOMEONE. He isn't stupid, just that there's usually 3-4 plots going on in the background, and he'll know of maybe one, if that. Prophecy and fate are bitches.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
And yet somehow he always pulled a "just as planned :smug:" outcome.

I gave up and read Dragonlance instead. It was better.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Randalor posted:

Well, demon trapped in a crystal, not in a sword. Same difference though (the sword is something else and comes into play much, much later). The Malus Darkblade novels are basically the story of a puppet who thinks he's a puppet master, and the only reason he's able to come out ahead is that he's everyone's puppet and he's usually more useful alive than dead to SOMEONE. He isn't stupid, just that there's usually 3-4 plots going on in the background, and he'll know of maybe one, if that. Prophecy and fate are bitches.

The interesting parts are how his story echo's Malekith's backstory. Which is why the rumors for a while were that Malus would replace Malekith.

Malekith suffers from Abaddon syndrome. He is 'The' or at least 'A' big bad, so he has to show up and get his butt kicked to prove how awesome the heroes are. Which means all anyone ever sees is him getting his butt kicked by the plucky heroes.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Watchers of the Throne on the advice of the thread and it was good as hell. It managed to get my hyped for the new fluff in ways that Dark Imperium could never have hoped to- I really think this would have been a better book to introduce us all to the new setting.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Waroduce posted:

....Drizzit?

:allears: not empty quoting.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Xae posted:

The interesting parts are how his story echo's Malekith's backstory. Which is why the rumors for a while were that Malus would replace Malekith.

Malekith suffers from Abaddon syndrome. He is 'The' or at least 'A' big bad, so he has to show up and get his butt kicked to prove how awesome the heroes are. Which means all anyone ever sees is him getting his butt kicked by the plucky heroes.

Wasn't Malekith retconned into a good guy by the End Times? The evil scheming mages rigged the fire so it would burn him or something because he was too noble and handsome and whatever.

(It was pretty dumb)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

von Metternich posted:

Wasn't Malekith retconned into a good guy by the End Times? The evil scheming mages rigged the fire so it would burn him or something because he was too noble and handsome and whatever.

(It was pretty dumb)

He was retconned into the true rightful ruler, that he was burned is explained by him being more whimpy than his dad and not enduring the scorching flames for those extra seconds needed to get magically healed & anointed. This is the reasonable part, what is dumb is that the millennias of psychopathy, sadism, mass torture, brutal slavery and war of extermination, is wholly glossed over and ignored by the bulk of the players/factions.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/february/the-magos-ebook.html

huh

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Whaaat

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

this came out bloody nowhere

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
New Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn within 3 months of each other is pretty cool imo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder if this was a situation where, for something in Penitent to make sense he had to explain something from Eisenhorn's days as an Inquisitor, and ended up expanding that story enough that he had enough material for a novel of its own.

Penitent hasn't officially been cancelled yet, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Black Library posted:

READ IT BECAUSE
It's a brand new Eisenhorn novel by Dan Abnett! What other reason do you need!

Well, they're not wrong.