Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It didn't kill them, it just teleported them to the Martian afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocksicles posted:

I love that left to their own devices, all Martians identify as African American.

M'Gann's rear end in a top hat ex last season posed as a white dude but he's about the only one I can think of.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Maggie's incredibly clichéd relationship with her father was still very moving and real. Not quite the revelatory moment of Alex coming out, but still a big deal and nice to see on the TV. Brought back a lot of memories and bad think. Made me realize that we (me, the US) actually have come pretty far, present administration not-withstanding.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aleph Null posted:

Maggie's incredibly clichéd relationship with her father was still very moving and real. Not quite the revelatory moment of Alex coming out, but still a big deal and nice to see on the TV. Brought back a lot of memories and bad think. Made me realize that we (me, the US) actually have come pretty far, present administration not-withstanding.

I did think it was a bit weird that they slipped in a bit of Trump’s America with the whole “They’re building a wall to keep people like us out!” when Trump isn’t actually president in that world, Lynda Carter is, and the characters can’t seem to stop gushing about what an awesome president she is.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phylodox posted:

I did think it was a bit weird that they slipped in a bit of Trump’s America with the whole “They’re building a wall to keep people like us out!” when Trump isn’t actually president in that world, Lynda Carter is, and the characters can’t seem to stop gushing about what an awesome president she is.

That part just made her dad sound like a paranoid conspiracy nut in their version of reality. Which was appropriate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe President Wonder Woman is all, “Citizenship for aliens! Amnesty for aliens! We must open our borders for aliens! But gently caress Mexicans, they need to GTFO!”

Maybe Durlans are just, like, super racist against Mexicans.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I did want to mention that J'onn saying "we are a race of shapeshifters, why shouldn't our technology shapeshift, too" was super dumb but totally worth it, especially for the "wrong turn at Albuquerque pay-off".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Maybe President Wonder Woman is all, “Citizenship for aliens! Amnesty for aliens! We must open our borders for aliens! But gently caress Mexicans, they need to GTFO!”

Maybe Durlans are just, like, super racist against Mexicans.

Lynda Carter is Mexican.

It was cool seeing Tony Almeda on tv again. I was really hoping that they'd reveal his wife to be the same actress from 24, maybe next time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Lynda Carter is Mexican.

I think you’ll find that she’s Durlan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Just because president Wonder Woman is welcoming, doesn't mean congress or the Senate is so kind

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Just because president Wonder Woman is welcoming, doesn't mean congress or the Senate is so kind

I mean...if she can push through legislation that lets kryptonians and daxamites and martians into the country it stretches credulity a bit that the Senate would be all, “Yeah, sure, tamaranians are fine, but Mexicans? Build a fuckin’ wall!”

The show wanted to address current politics and they stuck that line in there, regardless of how it actually fits into the show’s continuity. They’ll probably never reference it again. It was just a Very Special Episode Moment ™, is all, I just thought it sat really weirdly in the world they’d built.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This show has really high highs and low lows and is probably the least consistent show. It can have really really good episodes and ones where fast forwarding or skipping is a good idea. I generally like it most of the time though.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
All the Mars stuff felt very small. Did the White Martian rebels rescue J'onn's father and I just missed a line of dialogue? I thought it was weird that they were able to just go hang with him whenever. Then having like 7 dudes to deal with at the staff... I just wish this war M'gann is fighting felt even a tad more like one.

I liked the earth stuff just fine. nice that things weren't nicely wrapped up with her father but she still got some character growth. I hope the kids thing doesn't keep coming up. Using that as an excuse to have the actress leave for a while would be the worst. We all know this wedding is happening this season. Let's not act like it might not for a couple episodes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The bad white Martians abandoned J'onn's dad, I think to go after the spear of destiny? So the rebels could literally walk right into their former base of operations, Maybe? I thought they were viewing J'onn's dad remotely at a different location at first, not just, like, a different room. They didn't explain it that well.
But that lip synching with the CGI. drat. Glad he invoked that incredibly convenient "Martian tradition of looking like visitors".

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

Supergirl sure murdered those Martians good.

Directly after admitting she can't tell the good ones from the bad ones.

I was expecting a couple of the rebels to be missing after her murder spree.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I think Supergirl's okay with killing in self defense? Maybe? :shobon:

Also I got to see a bigot get dunked on and it owned, Maggie's dad is a piece of poo poo

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I got to see a bigot get dunked on and it owned, Maggie's dad is a piece of poo poo

I'm also glad they left him as more or less a bigoted douche. If this was some one-off that ended with him pulling a 180 and begging to be a part of her life, it'd be some facile garbage. And his MO wasn't garden-variety "Jesus don't love no queers" homophobia, there was a toxic dose of respectability politics in there that was an interesting direction.

This show might as well lean into that kind of complexity, because the actual superhero mythology isn't that complex. As long as Maggie doesn't die. I mean, I suspect they'll break up, but there are enough dead lesbians on TV.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

I'm also glad they left him as more or less a bigoted douche. If this was some one-off that ended with him pulling a 180 and begging to be a part of her life, it'd be some facile garbage. And his MO wasn't garden-variety "Jesus don't love no queers" homophobia, there was a toxic dose of respectability politics in there that was an interesting direction.

This show might as well lean into that kind of complexity, because the actual superhero mythology isn't that complex. As long as Maggie doesn't die. I mean, I suspect they'll break up, but there are enough dead lesbians on TV.

It's a much more tragic take on that sort of homophobia since it's less about the act itself and more about how others would see and treat it and for a parent who seemed to be really on edge about fitting in and not making waves, trying to protect his daughter from being hurt from discrimination was practically a case of doing all of the wrong things for the right reasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xealot posted:

She'll be cold feeting it due to the whole kid grenade and father of the year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do believe the showrunners have specifically said that Maggie won't be killed off, because they're aware of the whole "bury your gays" problem.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What was the issue here? Does the actress no longer want to be on the show? Do the showrunners feel that the character wasn’t working? I know a lot of people were pissed off at the casting choice.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Lord Bude posted:

What was the issue here? Does the actress no longer want to be on the show? Do the showrunners feel that the character wasn’t working? I know a lot of people were pissed off at the casting choice.

Everything I've seen has said the actress decided not to sign a full season contract, so they only have her for guest appearances, which they are using to write her off the show one way or another. The show runners didn't plan for her character not to be around so they are scrambling for some sort of resolution that pisses off the least amount of people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Floriana Lima wanted to leave the show basically -- she's said she wants to continue to play Maggie on a recurring role, but who knows if that's just pretty PR speak.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

8one6 posted:

It didn't kill them, it just teleported them to the Martian afterlife.

You mean sent them to another dimension?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They just revealed Reign's look for later in the season.

https://twitter.com/TheCWSupergirl/status/925089929310474240

Hate the mask, the costume itself is okay though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Lord Bude posted:

I imagine Happy Couples are boring for writers to write and for actors to play. If I were an actress, I probably wouldn't be excited to play anyone's supportive girlfriend for the indefinite future...especially if it involved signing a contract saying I couldn't leave.

Also, this is a CW show...couples exist to flirt unrequitedly, get together explosively, then disintegrate into tears of grief or anger. The "happy couple" stage probably lasts 6 episodes, max. (I blame Joss Whedon for this formula. I suspect every youth drama featuring superheroes, vampires, or scifi/fantasy elements borrows heavily from his late 90's/early 00's output in plot or characters.)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm holding out hope that they will be a happy couple just with Maggie only in the show a few episodes a year.

Her cop stuff and Alex DEO stuff don't need to intersect every week

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Maggie is that now she doesn't really have a lot to do on her own anymore and all of her stuff is just "Alex and Maggie."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oooh, that was a nice call back.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This is a pretty good story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:laffo: the days without an incident counter ticking to zero.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oh no how could her expert disguise fail!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm just glad someone besides Cat Grant saw through her "disguise."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is a pretty good rear end episode

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cult man was a good character. Hopefully he stops getting people to "test their faith" though.

howe_sam posted:

They just revealed Reign's look for later in the season.

https://twitter.com/TheCWSupergirl/status/925089929310474240

Hate the mask, the costume itself is okay though.

That mask is silly as hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh look, a touching scene of spirituality and love set to Hallelujah. Just like everyone does.

Shut up, I'm not crying, you're crying.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot to post in this thread for the last few weeks, so this is gonna cover the last few episodes I saw, including tonight's.

Psi-A pretty good episode, really played up Supergirl's fears a lot.

Mission To Mars-Finally an episode about Father's, and this episode really played up J'onn's relationship with his Pappy.

The Faithful-This episode got kind of weird with all the God and Deity talk going around, but not a bad episode overall.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

The Lord Bude posted:

I had strong hopes that introducing Maggie Sawyer also meant introducing Intergang as her primary nemesis. A B-level villain that the DEO can assist in stopping but that Maggie is working to bust.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Cult man was a good character. Hopefully he stops getting people to "test their faith" though.

I kept thinking he looked familiar, I was racking my brain trying to figure it out. Then it hit me, he's Rob Lowe's brother!

Did a great job, really walked that line between "I'm helping, praise Jeebus Rao!" to "I'm a a creepy weirdo villain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I mean, really, in a world where Superman/Supergirl exist, it's probably weirder to worship God than it is to worship them. Like Jimmy said, at least they actually exist/are present in the world. Nuking a stadium is obviously bad, but the Church of Rao in and of itself isn't crazy.