Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Got up to 4200mmr with a 26-card Engine Foltest deck I home-brewed, but then hit a nasty losing streak down to 4100, and when I came back the next day the meta had shifted to almost 50% Machine Henselts who murdered me with ease. I finally decided to bite the bullet, craft a few cards, and make a Restore Skellige deck.

Holy poo poo, I can definitely see why this deck is such a meta-breaker now. It's incredibly strong, but more than that it's fairly easy to play. You can basically push any round as long as you like and feel comfortable going into the next round with so much carry-over. Tons of ways to generate free points, but also the utility of discarding Armorsmiths/Whale Harpooners from your deck so that you can revive them into the current round is absurd. Using Warmongers and Priestesses together is basically like making NR's Reinforcement a bronze card that also boosts power of the card you play by 1.

The deck isn't without it's weaknesses; it has a fairly limited number of ways to interact with the opponents board (then again, I was playing with Emiron instead of Lugos since I don't have the latter in my collection), and there is a hard-limit of the amount of points it can generate compared to an engine or weather deck. But it's still just so drat scrappy I was able to go from 4050 to 4250 without dropping a single game.

I hope that when CDR tweaks Skellige they find a way to tune the revive/discard archetype down but still keep it viable because it's actually fun to play, but knowing how toxic carryover can be for the game, it'll probably get nerfed into the dirt and Gwent will be better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Kalko posted:

I read a few 'guides' on various netdecks for NG earlier just to brush up on what these super successful 4500+ 65% winrate people say about their decks, and one guy said you should drop Cantarella on T1 if you lose the flip. Is that really a good play? I can sort of see it, and I tried it a few times, but I found it hard to judge whether it was really giving me an advantage (nobody open passed when I did it, and most played their own spy, which I then used Emhyr on, kind of on autopilot).

I don't know why you would play Canta with an empty board instead of getting some Enforcers set up first.

No Wave posted:

I think using Emhyr on a spy is almost never correct. Spies are playable cards at 12 str - are they playable at 24 str?

Except you're not really playing -24 points since you're getting a lot of those offset with spy synergy and you can make up the difference in a long round with Spygaard's huge snowball potential. And it's not like you have to turn around and play that spy again immediately, if your opponent passes and you end up going down a card to take R1 then you can always get your card advantage back later.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

In case anyone hasn't heard, the ladder season is ending tomorrow night and the new patch should be out shortly after that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Various Meat Products posted:

Except you're not really playing -24 points since you're getting a lot of those offset with spy synergy and you can make up the difference in a long round with Spygaard's huge snowball potential. And it's not like you have to turn around and play that spy again immediately, if your opponent passes and you end up going down a card to take R1 then you can always get your card advantage back later.

Yeah, I should have clarified. I only picked up their spy with Emhyr, I usually played it in R2.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Is it me or does the second round seem almost meaningless??? Almost EVERY one of my opponents passes on the 2nd round if they win the first. And I almost never do it. Granted my deck’s strategy is to drain the opponent of cards and have a bare minimum of healers to resurrect my bros for round 3. But almost everyone dry passes on the 2nd round! I think it’s a bad strategy and a waste of a round.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Scrree posted:

I finally decided to bite the bullet, craft a few cards, and make a Restore Skellige deck.

But it's still just so drat scrappy I was able to go from 4050 to 4250 without dropping a single game.

I just played some games before work and went like 5-1 with this deck. I definitely chose the wrong faction to rank with, but it's too late now! I even played a lot of QG last season so it's not like I wasn't familiar with SK's strengths already, and you're right that one of their best is that they're pretty easy to play (in comparison to most other factions).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think I'll do Restore Skellige next season, yes. Even if it means dealing with the Clan An Craite Raider's voice acting :v:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

MarshyMcFly posted:

Is it me or does the second round seem almost meaningless??? Almost EVERY one of my opponents passes on the 2nd round if they win the first. And I almost never do it. Granted my deck’s strategy is to drain the opponent of cards and have a bare minimum of healers to resurrect my bros for round 3. But almost everyone dry passes on the 2nd round! I think it’s a bad strategy and a waste of a round.

The Eredin deck I run often 2-0s. There's more decks like that around.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MarshyMcFly posted:

It depends on what the two decks are, how long round one was, and whether there's carryover. Two things to consider are "what gets me the most card advantage?" and "how long do I want round three to be?"

Various deck archetypes have a different balance between cards that get stronger in long rounds (engine, weather, anything that buffs on the board like axemen, farseers or impera brigades) and burst tempo/finisher cards that drop a lot of points at once, but are vulnerable and less impactful in long rounds (witchers, Rainfarn, vrihed, grave hag). Carryover and spies complicate things, but, in general, deciding when to pass is matter of knowing how long you and your opponent want the rounds to be.

For instance, I've been running a pretty stock spy deck, which means my bronzes and most of my silvers get stronger the more spies I play, but lose impact on shorter rounds. However, I have Rainfarn with Roach so I have one of the best single card finishers in the game. This means I really want one long round at the beginning and one short one at the end. Winning round one on even cards and then empty passing round two is the best way to get card advantage, but if round one was too short, I might find myself with only half my bronze core still sitting in hand. An impera with no emissaries sucks, but the question is always "does it suck any worse than what my opponent has?"

Sometimes it's worth bleeding your opponent a little round two to force out weather/golds etc. Just remember to pass while you still have enough cards in hand to make them take last play and never do it against someone with carryover. Spellatael is often worth bleeding, consume -- not so much.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Seeing the reaction of people to the RNG in the new cards is hilarious :allears:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
When are the new cards being released again?

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Knowlue posted:

When are the new cards being released again?

The new patch will be up tomorrow.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is it supposed to be the patch that they talked about when they made so many units agile?

Also, do I get the rank up rewards again next season or was it a one time thing?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Going 2-0 when you were two cards down feels fuckin good mang. Eat poo poo, Eredin.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just picked this game up again after a few months away and geez, my power deck feels totally useless now and the whole dynamic of the game is shook up.

My Skellige guys seem anemic now. What are some good tips to deck building now that golds aren't invincible?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The dev stream this morning showed 21 new cards which will appear in the patch tomorrow, but I don't think they showed any changes to current cards. I would expect a heap of changes, though, so it's hard to say which of the current archetypes will rise or fall.

If you want to see the top net decks for this season take a look at GwentDB and click the 'This Patch' button on the front page. It should give you an idea of what bronze packages have the most synergy per deck type and from there you can pick your favorite leader and build away.

The gold immunity patch also buffed most bronze cards in the game by a few points so that bronzes are now far and away the most impactful part of your deck. This has the side effect of making certain other gold/silver cards more appealing as well (eg. The Guardian giving your opponent a 6-str bronze is more of a gut punch than it used to be, and playing Vilgefortz on your own guy is generally going to be worth more points than beforehand).

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
They showed changes to existing cards. I'd wait for the full patch notes though.

Azran posted:

Is it supposed to be the patch that they talked about when they made so many units agile?

Also, do I get the rank up rewards again next season or was it a one time thing?

This is not the row overhaul patch. Yes, ranked rewards get reset every new season.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just picked this game up again after a few months away and geez, my power deck feels totally useless now and the whole dynamic of the game is shook up.

My Skellige guys seem anemic now. What are some good tips to deck building now that golds aren't invincible?

The biggest change with no gold immunity is boardwipes like Kambi are almost gone from the meta, shackles is rarely run, and Scorch became more niche and deck dependent (spellatael decks run a lot more units now). On the other hand, ongoing/mass damage like weather, lacerate, hailstorm, and overdose (formerly called stammelfords tremors) now have more viable targets. Swarm is a big archetype atm (though it looks like they're fixing harpy bullshit this patch) so mass buff cards like Yennifer and commander's horn have also become more popular and there's been a bit of an arms race between swarm and anti-swarm tech. Also a bunch of big golds like Tibor got a lot less playable without immunity, but they've gradually been rebalancing them.

Other big changes. Scoiatael has more hand buffing and movement support. Nilfgaard got a major rework and Emhyr spies is top dog now (with reveal and mill being weaker but viable). Eredin weather decks work pretty differently now (wild hunt riders increase frost damage now), Unseen Elder is much worse (he's a big sitting duck), and Dagon swarm reigns supreme. Skellige has been in a really weird place due to a completely unbalanced Restore/Dorregary graveyard recursion combo, but it looks like they're fixing that. Discard and self-damage/buff will probably be the core archetypes moving forward. Northern Realms has been pretty weak (after an insane period last patch when they over-tuned armor), but Hanselt machine and Foltest swarm have been leading the pack with Radovid control and armor still in the mix.

Of course, the patch today could change all of this, but it will probably take people a few days to figure out new decks anyway.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Patch is live on PC.

patch notes as an imgur album:
https://imgur.com/a/mGxbV

edit: the halloween event isn't playing around.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 31, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
it's good that they barely nerfed Skellige and gave them a good fourth gold card in exchange :suicide:

Trogdos! posted:

edit: the halloween event isn't playing around.

oh yeah, way more challenging then the brewfest was. Took me a few retries each time just to get through the normal modes, the mechanics are all a little more complex. Expert mode will be tough!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Any word when the single player card rpg portion coming out?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've got 2400 scraps. Is Skellige Restore still good enough to consider crafting? I'm only missing a couple of golds and silvers.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
When I glanced at Swim's stream he seemed confident that restore deck is just as strong as it was before

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Azran posted:

I've got 2400 scraps. Is Skellige Restore still good enough to consider crafting? I'm only missing a couple of golds and silvers.

yes. it lost some carryover and points when it god draws, but it's still obscenely strong and now it has a better gold card in wolfsbane than the random tech cards people ran before. the fact that olgierd's slot is freed up for gremist thanks to wolfsbane and potentially better bronzes are finally available also helps. the deck might be -stronger- now than pre patch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wolfsbane is an extremely stupid card to add to the game. Why would you buff the strongest leader in the game? King Bran realistically represents at least 27 points now (wolfsbane +2 raiders), significantly more with Cerys. Skellige's always wanted to be able to run more raiders, and this is the same sort of effect. Something went really wrong with this game's development around the time of the gold immunity patch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

most leaders are 20-30 points when played optimally, the problem is that bran is adding consistency/thinning and all his value is delayed, which is arguably stronger than just puking 30 points on the board (like henselt/reveal nilfgaard guy). and also bran is 100% consistent unless your hand is like, 3 raiders, morkvarg, cerys, and then the mulligan draws wolfsbane or something.

limiting bran to bronzes/silvers and redesigning cerys would be a good idea. I still think she'd be great as some kind of a graveyard hate block, like your skellige units can no longer be consumes/resurrected by the other player or something.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wolfsbane should just buff/hit the lowest/highest unit on the board, so it can enable the best worst plays from both players every 3rd turn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I assume it only goes off once. Please tell me it only goes off once.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Wave posted:

It only goes off once. Still seems broke.

I was excited for this patch to break up the Skellige doldrums, but queuing into purple five games in a row this morning killed my excitement pretty fast. Hopefully they hotfix.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

It works like Bork and other timer cards, so it should just go off once.

Still it would be better as a weird broken card that can make games go spectacularly wrong by having no ally/enemy tags, instead of a straight Skellige Discard buff, or Johnny nonsense.

Edit: Also I see people complaining about the new reveal soldier man. It's a pretty decent card and better than Serrit, but I'm not sure if we're getting the long awaited T1 Reveal deck out of it.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 31, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a pretty disgusting combo with Cynthia but the counterplay is simple, I guess.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The real abuse case is leo -> reveal cantarella -> soldier man on cantarella. New reveal is fun and not bad at all, but go figure Skellige has the best tools to poo poo on it

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

It's a pretty disgusting combo with Cynthia but the counterplay is simple, I guess.

Yeah the current uses is hitting your own Cantarella, which is okay. With Cynthia most of the times the strongest unit on your opponent hand is their spy so it's whatever.

Also how many of these dudes do you actually run? Do you run all 3 and drop the old Spotter->Geralt combo, do you drop Mangonels or Fire Scorpions? Do you just add a Special Card so you can always have a 10 power bronze, and if so isn't the Knight already better?

Your worst match ups are most likely going to be Skellige and Monsters both don't really have big units on their hand that they are willing to hold on and not just drop the moment you reveal, so eh? The card looks powerful and has good uses, and I think in the low ranks is going to bully around some people, but I'm not sure if it's the broken card everyone is creaming their pants about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I see why people are concerned tbh. It's a potentially absurd combo card in a game with teeny tiny decks. I really think we'd be better off with 35 card decks because the devs seem to like printing these synergies a lot.

It's tempting to try running this with emhyr to try to hit your opponent's spy as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 31, 2017

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nevermind!

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 31, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Got Ale of the Ancestors from the level 20 reward :cheers:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yesss I loving love Regis, I'm so happy he's an avatar now, with cool border and title too! :allears:

frajaq fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 1, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Regis’s good manner emotes cement him as the one true supreme bro of the witcher-verse

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Crones/Crookbag bog theme playing on the main menu is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Northern Realms new Catapult cart is poo poo. Tested it out, if there is only one enemy on the row, it only hits it once. I can't see any reason to run it over a regular Reinforced Ballista.