Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, Carly is actually pretty solid, it's got some weirdness in the UI but if you want to diagnose/code stuff for BMW's, it seems to be the best bet short of paying a shop 6x as much more to do it. There's a few things it cannot do, but I think a 2009 should be pretty open to most of the available tricks you might want to do (my first move with it was turning off the 'do not use this while driving' message on the entertainment/nav system on startup, that locks you out of being able to mute the audio until the message goes away) and that alone made it worth the $60 entry fee, or whatever it was for the plug in dongle + the app combo.)

They give you some sort of $10 or 5 euros off or something if you buy them together.

Cojawfee posted:

Carly is pretty nice. The upsells aren't them trying to squeeze more money out of you, they are features that no everyone wants, but some people did. They created those features and charged the people who want them to save money for the people who don't need to reset their battery, or do the DPF, or NOX. My issue is that the parameters have never worked for me (N55 135), but the torque app pulls all the info out just fine.

Thanks, I mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't something lurking in the $120-150 range I hadn't run across given the app + adapter is $120, and the first battery I swap with it will push it even higher.

Are the IAP's per-VIN or one time purchase for unlimited use? I assume the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It says "buy once for unlimited usage." Further down it says "Battery registration contains an unlimited license to register and change batteries. Future updates are included." Nothing about being locked to a VIN. Maybe do some googling but I would think in a legal sense (not a lawyer) that "unlimited" means no limits, as in not limited to one VIN.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I would be keen to code my DRL on would this do this? It's pretty expensive to get a shop to do it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Red_Fred posted:

I would be keen to code my DRL on would this do this? It's pretty expensive to get a shop to do it.

Yup. Carly will absolutely do this - I am also a happy Carly user.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ladron posted:

does anyone happen to know if a shift assembly from a 1996+ 325i would directly replace one in a 1994 325i? I've read that if I just replace the shifter T for a newer knob, I also have to replace the stalk or cut it. I am taking about just replacing that whole assembly.

quoting myself to confirm for posterity that the entire shift assembly is a more-or-less direct swap, so you can go from a t-shift to a knob shift without cutting anything

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i was confused about your post the first time and it still doesnt make sense to me

what is the "shifter t"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

i was confused about your post the first time and it still doesnt make sense to me

what is the "shifter t"

i assume he means

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

hifi posted:

i assume he means

that is exactly what I mean

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

H110Hawk posted:

M3 is too impractical, might get tricked into putting the car seat into it. M Clown Shoe on the other hand...
I have two car seats in my M3. I have been bamboozled.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

I have two car seats in my M3. I have been bamboozled.

Sucker. This weekend is actually going to be the first overnight without the kid since he was born. Driving a few hours up the coast top down to drink wine. :feelsgood:

The kid gets to throw up in a Mid Trim Honda Civic because gently caress that noise.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ether Frenzy posted:

I would recommend Carly but I don't think there's any way to code your car into an M3, so I would advise you buy an M3 and THEN get Carly.

You can do nearly everything with carly, since you can alter any parameter, even if Carly does not have a pre-built setting for it. You might have to read up on hex encoding and stuff, but it is possible.

I coded some stuff on my i8, where Carly is at a loss because from the 130 devices it finds, only 9 are known to it (seats, airbags, mirrors, that's it) and everything else is unknown. You need to know in which branch the parameter is, and what values it accepts, similar to using RegEdit in windows. I got the info from a friend at BMW, but I guess there are other sources on the net.
For example, I changed the drive mode to default to the last one I used instead of the stock comfort mode, because I mostly drive in eco pro, and you can't tell the car to startup in eco pro. But you can set a flag so the car uses the same mode that was active last time you turned the car off, it's just not available via iDrive.

So Carly is wonderfull, and even if it doesn't have the option built in, just search the net. I was also able to enable M-headsup on my X6 for example. Not possible with the stock carly menu, but you can code it via manual data entry (there are three settings you have to change to make the M heads up stick, because else it will revert to the default headsup if you don't enable the M-menu in iDrive via ODB).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

tuo posted:

You can do nearly everything with carly, since you can alter any parameter, even if Carly does not have a pre-built setting for it. You might have to read up on hex encoding and stuff, but it is possible.

I coded some stuff on my i8, where Carly is at a loss because from the 130 devices it finds, only 9 are known to it (seats, airbags, mirrors, that's it) and everything else is unknown. You need to know in which branch the parameter is, and what values it accepts, similar to using RegEdit in windows. I got the info from a friend at BMW, but I guess there are other sources on the net.
For example, I changed the drive mode to default to the last one I used instead of the stock comfort mode, because I mostly drive in eco pro, and you can't tell the car to startup in eco pro. But you can set a flag so the car uses the same mode that was active last time you turned the car off, it's just not available via iDrive.

So Carly is wonderfull, and even if it doesn't have the option built in, just search the net. I was also able to enable M-headsup on my X6 for example. Not possible with the stock carly menu, but you can code it via manual data entry (there are three settings you have to change to make the M heads up stick, because else it will revert to the default headsup if you don't enable the M-menu in iDrive via ODB).

Wait. Can you code last used drive mode on any car?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Has anyone here had any experience owning something with the m70b50? How is it to work on?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I, too, lust for the exhaust note of the M70, but I have heard they loving suck to take care of. Mostly because there are twice as many things to replace and some price premiums on unique poo poo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Alarbus posted:

Wait. Can you code last used drive mode on any car?

No clue, will ask. It works with the two i-series cars.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Grakkus posted:

Has anyone here had any experience owning something with the m70b50? How is it to work on?

It's OK from an access standpoint, but there's a lot of expensive wear items. Plugs (which will make you curse your maker when you have to change the rear ones), plug wires (which have consistent manufacturer-specific failures and cost a stupid amount of money), distributor caps, rotors, coils, etc. All of which are in numbers twice that of any I-6. At least cooling system parts are fairly reasonable because they get replaced fairly often. Lots of potential sources of oil leaks. Stupid intake manifold gaskets that dry out, leak and cause poor idle and misfires and are finicky to change. They generate a lot of heat in the engine bay and therefore have any number of plastic connectors and fasteners that want to crack the minute you try to disconnect them.

Unless it's already in your 850 or 750 I wouldn't willingly use an M70 for a project or swap. Since it only has 300hp with no real (financially reasonable) path for increasing output, it really not worth the work and expense. The V8's have nearly the same output and are a LOT easier and less expensive to work on.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ausgezeichnet posted:

It's OK from an access standpoint, but there's a lot of expensive wear items. Plugs (which will make you curse your maker when you have to change the rear ones), plug wires (which have consistent manufacturer-specific failures and cost a stupid amount of money), distributor caps, rotors, coils, etc. All of which are in numbers twice that of any I-6. At least cooling system parts are fairly reasonable because they get replaced fairly often. Lots of potential sources of oil leaks. Stupid intake manifold gaskets that dry out, leak and cause poor idle and misfires and are finicky to change. They generate a lot of heat in the engine bay and therefore have any number of plastic connectors and fasteners that want to crack the minute you try to disconnect them.

Unless it's already in your 850 or 750 I wouldn't willingly use an M70 for a project or swap. Since it only has 300hp with no real (financially reasonable) path for increasing output, it really not worth the work and expense. The V8's have nearly the same output and are a LOT easier and less expensive to work on.

Why are plug wires any more expensive than m20 wires!?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Crunchy Black posted:

Why are plug wires any more expensive than m20 wires!?

The right-hand set is different and costs upwards of 300 bucks. Honestly, the only major difference is the inductance spark sensor (cam position) that's on the wire for the #1 cylinder, but I never heard of anyone who was able to successfully hack one on to a cheap wire set. There's one OEM supplier that makes good wires (name of said supplier is lost to the ten years since I sold my 850), but the others tend to be crap (including BavAuto's own brand) and will cause the lame spark sensor to produce misfires, lopy idle and misery.

#7 is the inductance sensor, which is available from Pelican for 168 bucks, but you'd have to get the boot off the #1 wire, put the sensor over the wire, then successfully install the boot back on. The M70 ignition system is weak to a fault and any degradation of current will make your life really miserable. A long-term goal of mine is to get a cheap project 850i and graft in a high-energy electronic ignition system that bypasses the rotors, caps and the horribly weak coils.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

A long-term goal of mine is to get a cheap project 850i and graft in a high-energy electronic ignition system that bypasses the rotors, caps and the horribly weak coils.
With the experience you've already had fighting one in the past, would you consider swapping in something else like an S65 or *gasp* an LSx? Or do you just crave the pain? They're awesome cars, but if I ever owned one I could only see myself targetting 840's.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Moved to a new apartment in the city and had trouble finding a garage nearby. I left the e46 in a garage outside the city for the past month and I'm going to go pick it up and bring it to my new garage tomorrow. I'm very excited to drive it a few more times before winter keeps it locked up for a few months.

Got them M3 winter time blues.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Had this beauty in the garage today.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I would like to know more

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

With the experience you've already had fighting one in the past, would you consider swapping in something else like an S65 or *gasp* an LSx? Or do you just crave the pain? They're awesome cars, but if I ever owned one I could only see myself targetting 840's.

I don't have the mojo for an engine swap, but I spent enough time wrenching on the 850 that I would feel comfortable having another one as long as it wasn't my daily driver (which the previous one was). If you wanted an E31 but didn't have any experience with the M70, I would seriously lean toward a post-nikasil (or verified repaired) 840. Same engine as the (1998 or later) E39 540, which was a fairly-reliable beast.

I went to the BMW Welt Museum in Munich a couple of years ago and seeing this got me hard:

The only 850 cabrio ever made. Hidden somewhere behind the scenes is the only M8 ever made, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that the fabled 850is drop top that Will Smith drove claimed to own?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the fabled 850is drop top that Will Smith drove claimed to own?

Somebody might have carved one up aftermarket, but this is the only official one built - only as a prototype.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The 850 is beautiful regardless of roof or not.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
All this 850 talk and I keep coming across this ad locally:
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-bmw-850i-6-speed-manual/6356504594.html

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

I would like to know more

82 320i. M10. The son of the original owner went to pick it up in Iowa, as the immediate past owner was a family friend. Drove it home to Atlanta with no problems. Fresh respray with only a couple of rust spots. Replaced the hazard switch yesterday which fixed the indicators. It's cherry. I'll get more pics the next time its over.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Hi BMW thread! I've driven a 2002 Lexus IS300 for almost 10 years and it's time to say goodbye. I thought I'd go Lexus again but with my ~15k budget (would like to pay cash in full) that puts me in the 2006-2013 range and I'm not a fan of the style. Plus the power/efficiency is making me take a more serious look at BMW. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction or recommend a BMW that I'd like? I need a sedan, and I didn't mind the cozy/compact feel of the IS300. Again budget of about 15k and would like 05 or newer, less than 100k miles. What 3 series should I be looking for?

This looks good but I think I can afford a bit newer, around the same amount of miles.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The reliability change is going to be a culture shock coming from the IS.

e: I should say I own an IS300 Sportcross now and have owned a bunch of BMWs in the past :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 30, 2017

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You can do much much better than what you linked.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...rsModified=true

These are 2013+ 328 sedans in the US. Keep up with maintenance and and issues that crop up and the reliability should be pretty good. Keep 1-2k around for anything that creeps up but it should be fairly minimal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do you want out of a car? Do you want a luxury car that you don't have to be super worried about maintaining? Stick with Lexus. Do you want a fun, sporty sedan and you're willing to stay on top of maintenance and even possibly willing to eat the cost of expensive, preventative repairs? Then think about a BMW. Don't buy a BMW because it's fancy, buy a BMW because you actually want a BMW. It's not for the faint of heart if you plan on treating it like a Toyota.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

That is a bitchin 850. $16k might be a little high, but if he has MX records and can prove he replaced the cooling system (though with 105k on the clock, it might be about ready for round 2) and has kept up with brake bombs, etc, it could be a very rewarding car to own. It does look like the headlight buckets are ready for rehab from that front oblique picture. 1992 manuals are VERY rare.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
That's a remarkably clean well maintained 850. My experience says maybe a little over the top price wise, but the owner probably wants to see it go to a good home with someone that gets what that car is.

ausgezeichnet posted:

1992 manuals are VERY rare.

There's plenty of online resources for E31 enthusiasts. The best I've found is here

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/index.htm

Dude is a fanatic. There's also a really great community forum of Canadian E31 owners that I can't find right now.

We wound up buying the 650i I mentioned some time ago and I'm in love with it, it's fantastic to drive and is a great looking machine, but my 840 fills a spot in my heart.

There's a difference in just driving them that, I dunno, the best way I can describe it is the 650 feels like driving by wire where the 840 feels very manual, more like piloting, if that makes sense?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

That's a remarkably clean well maintained 850. My experience says maybe a little over the top price wise, but the owner probably wants to see it go to a good home with someone that gets what that car is.

There's plenty of online resources for E31 enthusiasts. The best I've found is here

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/index.htm

Dude is a fanatic. There's also a really great community forum of Canadian E31 owners that I can't find right now.

We wound up buying the 650i I mentioned some time ago and I'm in love with it, it's fantastic to drive and is a great looking machine, but my 840 fills a spot in my heart.

There's a difference in just driving them that, I dunno, the best way I can describe it is the 650 feels like driving by wire where the 840 feels very manual, more like piloting, if that makes sense?

Thanks for that E31 site, Timm's wasn't around when I was still under the influence. Wuffer is the Canadian site that was the gold standard 10 years ago. It used to require a login, but it looks like he opened it up to the public at some point. The site I got the most out of was E31.net, which has full repair manuals for models up to the 1994 model year.

My manual comment was that there weren't many manual transmission 850's produced in 1992. According to this site there were only 79 MT 850's produced in the 1992 model year. There were almost 600 in 1991.

I had a 2012 M6 for a few years and just LOVED the way it drove. It was too heavy to really get nuts even with the 500hp selection made, but it was a boss on the highway. I just couldn't rationalize keeping it anymore when I was driving 23,000 miles per year to and from work and couldn't do the 350 mile round trip on a tank of 93 octane. I've had a 435i for the past 16 months and it gets the job done well and can git up and go when I want it to.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The reliability change is going to be a culture shock coming from the IS.

e: I should say I own an IS300 Sportcross now and have owned a bunch of BMWs in the past :v:

Cojawfee posted:

What do you want out of a car? Do you want a luxury car that you don't have to be super worried about maintaining? Stick with Lexus. Do you want a fun, sporty sedan and you're willing to stay on top of maintenance and even possibly willing to eat the cost of expensive, preventative repairs? Then think about a BMW. Don't buy a BMW because it's fancy, buy a BMW because you actually want a BMW. It's not for the faint of heart if you plan on treating it like a Toyota.

We don't just say this to be elitist assholes about BMW's, we also say it so we can smugly "I told you so" when you run into "shockingly high repair bills" 3 months into ownership. :suicide:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah no I totally get it. The IS300 just kind of fell into my lap and I got it for super cheap back in 2008 and it's treated me well. That's how I got accustomed to Toyota reliability, and further Lexus trim. Before it I had a '00 Maxima, '98 Corolla, '99 Accord, and a '97 Mercury Cougar. You can imagine which cars I did the most/least work on or paid to get done. So after 8-9 years of doing really basically nothing out of the ordinary to the car repairs/maintenance wise, I really want to stick to Toyota/Lexus. It's just when I had trouble finding a body style I like with the price I need from Lexus, I was a little taken back by what I saw BMW had to offer at similar years/prices. I shouldn't be surprised though, I know BMW is great.

Aside from the reliability, I just love the compact/sporty feel and handling of the IS300, while still having 4 doors for occasional (uncomfortable) passengers, which is usually just my dog in the back and wife up front. And I'm beginning my search to find a replacement for that.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

ausgezeichnet posted:

My manual comment was that there weren't many manual transmission 850's produced in 1992.

That's a gigantic head slapping"duh" from me.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

ausgezeichnet posted:

The M70 ignition system is weak to a fault and any degradation of current will make your life really miserable. A long-term goal of mine is to get a cheap project 850i and graft in a high-energy electronic ignition system that bypasses the rotors, caps and the horribly weak coils.

Do you know of a good resource to read up on the quirks of the M70 and M73? I really, really love the way they sound and I would love to shove one into something one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Party Alarm posted:

Do you know of a good resource to read up on the quirks of the M70 and M73? I really, really love the way they sound and I would love to shove one into something one day.

They were good and cool motors for their time but now woefully heavy and underpowered for what they are. Are you sure about this?