Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got stuck at 7k (IGS) for 3 months and finally broke through to 6k in the last few days and have gone 6-4 against other 6k players since getting here. I've been doing a lot of these problems : http://eidogo.com/problems/qjzm/1 and I think it's helping me out a lot. I just wish there were some problems for fuseki, though obviously it would be really difficult to have an objective 'right' answer for a lot of those types of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

empty whippet box posted:

I got stuck at 7k (IGS) for 3 months and finally broke through to 6k in the last few days and have gone 6-4 against other 6k players since getting here. I've been doing a lot of these problems : http://eidogo.com/problems/qjzm/1 and I think it's helping me out a lot. I just wish there were some problems for fuseki, though obviously it would be really difficult to have an objective 'right' answer for a lot of those types of things.

Isn't fuseki mostly just about recognizing biggest moves? I don't think there are always right or wrong moves outside of some basic josekis or responses, just directions you want to play.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Ive been stuck at 5~4k for a year : ) : (

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Pander posted:

Isn't fuseki mostly just about recognizing biggest moves? I don't think there are always right or wrong moves outside of some basic josekis or responses, just directions you want to play.

breakfast/Alexandre Dinerchtein used to (maybe still does?) have 10 fuseki problems on his website that would estimate your strength (at the opening). The problems were set up with multiple answers and each answer had a score from best to worst. Opening problems are definitely possible but they are harder to quantify so there aren't nearly as many of them as there are joseki/tesuji/life and death problems.

edit: https://play.baduk.org/go-test/start.php

I got European 2d which says I should be a KGS 4d (I'm a weak 1d)... I guess I'm better at problems than I am at playing Go :(.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 31, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got 4k european (2k KGS/3k IGS), so I feel like it's being a little generous. Pretty close though!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Played first live game in about forever instead of long term correspondence.

Pro: 30 mins instead of 3 months.
Con: I made so many horrible moves and could not read simple poo poo.

Yikes. I feel like a SDK on correspondence and a 18k live.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Pander posted:

Played first live game in about forever instead of long term correspondence.

Pro: 30 mins instead of 3 months.
Con: I made so many horrible moves and could not read simple poo poo.

Yikes. I feel like a SDK on correspondence and a 18k live.

My man, have you considered 10s blitz

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

impulse 7 effect posted:

My man, have you considered 10s blitz

I tried one game like that.

It felt like thirty toddlers given red bulls and then told to go play rugby without being taught the rules.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For me the true value of blitz go is that you can just go with the flow and not care so much about winning or losing because c'mon man, it's blitz. Just do what feels right and see how good your instincts are.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Would anyone mind reviewing a game I played? I'm just starting to play again after being super busy with work since the springtime so some of my moves are real bad. Here's a link to the game, I played black: https://online-go.com/game/10551100

I also did my own review, if you're interested you can find that here:
https://online-go.com/review/279290

Asleep Style fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 9, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HummedExplosions posted:

Would anyone mind reviewing a game I played? I'm just starting to play again after being super busy with work since the springtime so some of my moves are real bad. Here's a link to the game, I played black: https://online-go.com/game/10551100

I also did my own review, if you're interested you can find that here:
https://online-go.com/review/279290

Everything seems to be going alright up until move 29. This hane turned out really bad for you. If you had just pushed a little further out I think you'd have gotten a better result in that region.

At move 84, you could done much better by moving at L1 instead of L2. Now, White's best response that I could find is J2, which results in a ko (L1 J2 K2 J3 J1 H1 H2).

Move 107 doesn't seem like it did what you intended it to, since the stones in the middle got cut off, resulting in white's biggest territory. O9 seems like it would have gotten you a much better result, though you'd probably still sacrifice those two stones. Who cares though? They have good aji for threatening white's stones at A6 and reducing that middle territory.

For me those are the big points.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Everything seems to be going alright up until move 29. This hane turned out really bad for you. If you had just pushed a little further out I think you'd have gotten a better result in that region.

At move 84, you could done much better by moving at L1 instead of L2. Now, White's best response that I could find is J2, which results in a ko (L1 J2 K2 J3 J1 H1 H2).

Move 107 doesn't seem like it did what you intended it to, since the stones in the middle got cut off, resulting in white's biggest territory. O9 seems like it would have gotten you a much better result, though you'd probably still sacrifice those two stones. Who cares though? They have good aji for threatening white's stones at A6 and reducing that middle territory.

For me those are the big points.

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely agree with you on move 29. Your alternatives for 84 and 107 are both moves I didn't think about but those seem spot on to me.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: nm I'm wrong, I thought I hosed up that analysis last night but I didn't. never mind! However, a monkey jump might be even better (j1)

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 10, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just got Sakata Eio's "Modern Joseki and Fuseki" vol. 1 and 2 for my birthday(which isn't till thursday, but whatever!). Going through every example with a goban, the first chapter alone has already blown my mind. I'm trying to break through to 5k on IGS and I think these books will do it. Anyone else read these?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjOgvNnHHM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I played a non-handicap game against someone (my yearly shogi opponent I usually also try to play a game of go with). He beat me by 140 or so, which is not surprising, I think he's 6k and I'm probably in the high teens. Love playing live though, even so.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

This hits a pretty high nerd multiplier. I approve!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just destroyed someone in a game and rather than resign they hit the report button so that it would take at least a week to actually get scored, since that nullifies the game until it can be reviewed by IGS and scored by them. Why would someone even do that? Sheesh, take the L, people.

Also I looked at his profile and this guy has 72 thousand games played on this account. :wtf:

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 14, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Just destroyed someone in a game and rather than resign they hit the report button so that it would take at least a week to actually get scored, since that nullifies the game until it can be reviewed by IGS and scored by them. Why would someone even do that? Sheesh, take the L, people.

Nothing like playing a correspondence game with 3 day long turns where the other person, losing by 100+, requires you to fill in all the dame (after dozens of doomed invasions).

And then resign rather than count after every move was done.

I swear I've had a game last over a year because of poo poo like that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

Nothing like playing a correspondence game with 3 day long turns where the other person, losing by 100+, requires you to fill in all the dame (after dozens of doomed invasions).

And then resign rather than count after every move was done.

I swear I've had a game last over a year because of poo poo like that.

I don't play correspondence games because of stuff like this, and I also forget that I'm playing them and lose by time.

I really prefer to play 1 minute main time / 10 per 25 stones, everything else is either too fast or too slow.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for double posting multiple times per page, but Go is life, ya'll. Anyway, how would you folks reduce or invade the top right corner here? Would you do it now, or would you play more moves elsewhere first? This is a situation that regularly gives me trouble when it comes up. I usually cap the black 3-4 stone to try to make a safe shape. This resulted in a very lopsided gain for black in my most recent game, and I want to figure out a plan for this.

e: ignore the ghost stone in the top left :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i would approach the bottom right. take the big points first

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

derp posted:

i would approach the bottom right. take the big points first

I agree with that, but let's say a few moves get down and we eventually revisit the top

Should he invade (cap or small knight)? Extend from his own 4-4 via large knight or 2-space jump from opponent's stone?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lol

http://eidogo.com/#DNgKl0a5

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I didn't look at the names or ranks of who was playing until after all the corner moves were played and they started fighting. I legit thought it was DDKs after the first 10 moves or so.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

When you read a go proverb you don't like and decide to show it who's boss.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When you read a go proverb you don't like and decide to show it who's boss.

"If one player takes all four corners, black should resign" proves true once again

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That feeling when you're losing at the end of the game (by 7) and your opponent ignores a ko threat for a 1 point ko and suddenly you're winning by 94 points lmebo :woop: :woop:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

That feeling when you're losing at the end of the game (by 7) and your opponent ignores a ko threat for a 1 point ko and suddenly you're winning by 94 points lmebo :woop: :woop:

Xom would call that a scam back in my day.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Hi all, I'm a beginner to the game so I picked up Many Faces of Go and have been playing it every day for a few weeks. I just won my first game against the second lowest difficulty setting (15kyu) on a 9x9 board, and I was wondering if someone here could let me know how my thought processes are doing. I annotated the game and added some variations to illustrate what i was thinking

http://eidogo.com/#uDLe1VZ3

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The AI plays that atari at the top incorrectly, go back and play the atari the other way and see what happens. Everything looked decent other than that shape mistake and a potential liberty issue in the top left, have to look for those weaknesses and even though it feels slow you'll want to protect them. You should start playing on KGS against people once you feel confident. Have you read the strategy for 19x19 or mostly been focused on 9x9?

I play as Squiggles on KGS. I'm a strong 1k/weak 1d so if you message me I can review games for you.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 22, 2017

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Thanks so much for the review. Which atari in the top are you referring to? I see one at move 18 and one at move 64, but I can't figure out how either of them were mistakes.

Edit: Ohhhhhhhh just found it, the one at move 20. Yeah okay I didn't even realize that at the time! Thanks for pointing that out.

I've been focusing entirely on 9x9 at this point, no joseki stuff or anything. At this point I still need to get used to identifying atari and reading a move or two ahead so I figure a smaller board with 1-2 groups is probably best for me at the moment?

Are you Lyon on the ITGO discord? Can I message you there?

The Letter A fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 22, 2017

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
That's me, sure!

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Wife got me a nice goban and stones from yellow mountain for Christmas, been away from the game for 5 or 6 years but really looking forward to getting into it again.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hey all, we're now parasitizing KGS room Study Hall for the purposes of goon battles, reviews, and seeing who's on KGS, since we didn't have enough activity to keep the ITGO room.

Non-ingame chat is still in https://discord.gg/aWTrnv4

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2018

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
The AlphaGo documentary is now on Netflix. Coming from a bad/very casual player, I thought it was a really enjoyable watch.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So is KGS still the place to play? I've been out of it for 2+ years and a friend asked me to teach them how to play, I don't think I've played a single move yet that hasn't made me wince in pain afterwards...

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

JayMax posted:

The AlphaGo documentary is now on Netflix. Coming from a bad/very casual player, I thought it was a really enjoyable watch.

Yeah even my wife enjoyed it

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

First Time Caller posted:

Yeah even my wife enjoyed it

What is its name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!