Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just put together a Hekija.

It has 900 stickers and the shoulders just flop all over because the design is poo poo.

The first IBO line was so good about panel separation and engineering. What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I get the feeling that the Hekija was panic-slotted into the production schedule at the last minute when they realized they were running a little short on kits for season 2, which is why we also got the Hashmal and a thing from season 1 (note: may not be remotely factual.)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just had to forcibly eject myself from Gundam Base before I put myself in serious debt.

Strong possibility I will end up back there tomorrow.

Got some nice special versions though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The shoulders on the PG Zaku are aggressively poo poo. The two components that hold the rubber joint between the torso and comes away without any provocation.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

It was pissing down with rain but it still drew a crowd.

It is genuinly imposing the first time you see it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I built the RG Unicorn yesterday while binging on Stranger Things 2 and it's probably one of the most fun RG kits I've ever built. It's really mindblowing to put together all the little magical tricks of engineering that allow it to pull off the transformation, and it's surprisingly stable. A real far cry from the RG Sinanju, which I found less unstable than people were saying but still a little disappointing in its ability (or lack thereof) to hold cool poses (or its shield).

The only difficult part of the transformation is the shin armor, and the only disappointing part about the kit in general is how little mobility the feet and ankles have. You can hardly rotate the ankles at all, since that part of the design is so chunky. That was a problem with the HG Unicorn and Unicorn-variants too, it's just a shame it carried over to this version.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Puddin posted:

It was pissing down with rain but it still drew a crowd.

It is genuinly imposing the first time you see it.

Seems a bit shorter than I expected. But that might be the camera angle messing with my perspective around the feet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:toot:

Goddamn but do I love how this came out. I wish Bandai gave even half as many options for customization as this.

Now just to do the decals, and maybe the GN Sword II if I feel like it. I'll post a proper comparison shot once I get everything else done.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love the Exia what number Repair's big gun and that's a nice lookin' kit.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Puddin posted:

I just had to forcibly eject myself from Gundam Base before I put myself in serious debt.

Strong possibility I will end up back there tomorrow.

Got some nice special versions though.

The thing about Gundam base Tokyo is as a tourist, it's actually expensive to buy kits there. Better to just pick up exclusives there, and normal kits elsewhere like yodabashi where the prices are cheaper and you get tax free rebates.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's what I did, just got a heap of special injections and a clear heavy arms. I suggest checking out the whole shop first as there is a P-bandai section to the right away from the main shop.

Guess who's on their way back now.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 30, 2017

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
A P-Bandai section meaning you can purchase P-Bandai kits?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seems a bit shorter than I expected. But that might be the camera angle messing with my perspective around the feet.

It's two meters shorter than it should be, for whatever reason.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That Gobbo posted:

A P-Bandai section meaning you can purchase P-Bandai kits?

I initially thought it was, but it just seemed to be majority Gundam Base special issues. Though I was sure that they had someone holding a P-bandai Phenex yesterday, but had nothing today.

60+kmh winds on the way home made for an interesting bike ride.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm filling in the seam lines/gaps in that 3rd party gaogaigar kit, and I forgot how spoiled I am with bandai's stuff, because jesus there is an annoying amount of seam lines on this thing and the part's fitting together could use a bit of work.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

I'm filling in the seam lines/gaps in that 3rd party gaogaigar kit, and I forgot how spoiled I am with bandai's stuff, because jesus there is an annoying amount of seam lines on this thing and the part's fitting together could use a bit of work.

How much progress have you even made on that kit?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

How much progress have you even made on that kit?

I fully built it about 2 months ago. I've been building about 4 other kits since then. I like to prime a couple of kits before winter starts, since my airbrush setup isn't perfect in my apartment.

Gaogaigar is the last kit I hope to finish to have it fully primed. I'm just doing the clean up work. I also can't seem to get that lovely gold finish removed, even with the usual purple power solution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just how floppy is the RG Sinanju? Is it something a little bit of nail polish would fix?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

It's mostly the tiny waist joints, they're barely adequate if you're super careful about not stressing them during assembly and are pretty much DOA otherwise. Thickening the pegs will probably just put even more stress on them when putting it together, you might be able to get away with a very light coat of paint but nail polish is probably too thick. You can try thickening the inside arms of the top waist joint so that when they're in the stowed position they wedge against each other more tightly, as for the bottom side to side joint you may as well just lock it into place by shoving a shim in there, it's literally 2mm worth of peg holding the entire top of the kit up so there's no real fixing that. This is what I did for mine but you can wedge whatever in that slot, almost as if it was designed for it:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Local HobbyTown. The owner has decided he wants to be the #1 Gunpla place in the southeast, and he's doing a great job. If anyone is ever in Atlanta, I highly recommend swinging by the Kennesaw HobbyTown.

I went by here today and uh, holy poo poo it's odd seeing a good amount of Gunpla for sale.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xy Hapu posted:

literally 2mm worth of peg holding the entire top of the kit up
:psyduck:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

For anyone near Atlanta does want to go there heres what they had today:
Some of the paints, didnt get a pic of the Val metalics/pigments on the back wall

Actual gunpla and related things:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I was like "wait I recognize those paint stands!" The actually read your post and was like "yeah."

That Hobbytown owns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, the entire little section of Bearguys :3:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just reminds me that I still don't have a Marasai, which is loving shameful.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mango sentinel posted:

I was like "wait I recognize those paint stands!" The actually read your post and was like "yeah."

That Hobbytown owns.

It does. There's also a Facebook group where they post all their new shipments - https://www.facebook.com/groups/981845538517515 - getting stock 2-3x a week now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

asterioth posted:

For anyone near Atlanta does want to go there heres what they had today:
Some of the paints, didnt get a pic of the Val metalics/pigments on the back wall

Actual gunpla and related things:

Of course I moved back to Michigan right before they expanded their gunpla selection. Last time I went there they only had about half of one of those aisles and it wasn't as densely packed. I still don't know where I'm going to find Tamiya paint now.

At least now I'm within driving distance to Gundam Store And More! :suicide: I think the trip I made out there was the last time they were restocked.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a cool book

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That is very clearly a mook.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hello Gunpla people, I finished this today

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That is good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Hello Gunpla people, I finished this today

Jesus Christ, that attention to detail. Unkempt, you're a loving wizard.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Noice.

I also like the fact that it's building a typical greybeard kit and not another robut.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Bimmi posted:

Noice.

I also like the fact that it's building a typical greybeard kit and not another robut.

Can you imagine how hard it'd be to somehow make a 1/20736 scale Gunpla?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Itty-bitty MS are fairly easy to come by. I wanna know where he found a Walrus that loving small.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

God drat thats good. I actually just built a Hi-Mock. Picked it up to use as a test for doing an entire custom paint job before I even consider doing the Gelgoog I got to paint. Still not sure what Im going to do with it yet, was thinking maybe a Hulkbuster color scheme.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bimmi posted:

Itty-bitty MS are fairly easy to come by. I wanna know where he found a Walrus that loving small.

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-British-Supermarine-Aircraft-Warships/dp/B000NB8BWU

There ya go. 1/350, which I think makes the Hi-mock about 4 feet tall.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Excellent. Any idea why it's molded in clear?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bimmi posted:

Excellent. Any idea why it's molded in clear?

So you can have a clear cockpit just by masking it off, I think. I did try that but it's hard to see.

edit:

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Neato keen... I guess I shouldn't be surprised that things like that exist, but it makes me feel like perhaps scale modeling as a whole is thriving just a little more than I thought it was.