Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cowslips Warren posted:

This and "OH MY GOD THAT SNAKE IS POISONOUS!"

VENOM. Venom you worthless chucklefucks!

the difference between these terms is so degraded in English you really ought to let it go

you're right but it's not worth the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Similar to people not knowing what to order when it's ordering time - people who only start to think about maybe preparing to get out of a car, once the car is off and parked. Like, did you not realize we were getting close to our destination??

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
No, no. The snake was dipped in lacquer and it's still tacky. Don't touch!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CainsDescendant posted:

I was catching up on the walking dead this weekend because I hate myself and every time someone in the show so much as touches a gun or a knife the accompanying gun cocking or knife drawing sound effect will play and it's completely maddening

I've never understood what they are trying to accomplish with dubbing in all of those sounds but I've always thought it would be hilarious to have a character that smokes cigarettes that make the sound of a Zippo lighter opening each time he takes a drag.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They probably figure you're giving the show at best half of your attention so the gun and knife sounds are there to tell you an action scene is about to happen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everyone deals with this but autocorrect. If I misspell “probably,” “Chicago” or “parking” my phone turns them into the very real phrases “prob ably,” “Chica go” and “par king.” And that’s not getting into the weird poo poo iPads do.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whenever a snake shows up in a movie or tv show, it constantly makes a rattlsnake or hissing noise. Snakes are silent, gently caress

One you realize that any time a cat or dog or horse etc are on screen there are near constant overdubbed noises for them regardless of what they’re actually doing you’ll never be able to unsee it. There is no subtlety when it comes to animals in movies or shows they just apparently never shut the gently caress up

Also the fact that they use a red tailed hawk cry for any bird of prey because they don’t want people to know that bald eagles chirp like baby chickens

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also the fact that they use a red tailed hawk cry for any bird of prey because they don’t want people to know that bald eagles chirp like baby chickens

That made the first time I actually heard a red tailed hawk cry IRL pretty scary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

One you realize that any time a cat or dog or horse etc are on screen there are near constant overdubbed noises for them regardless of what they’re actually doing you’ll never be able to unsee it. There is no subtlety when it comes to animals in movies or shows they just apparently never shut the gently caress up
Babies too. Just a constant stream of noises that the baby/animal is obviously not making, unless it's something major, like crying, barking, etc.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CainsDescendant posted:

I was catching up on the walking dead this weekend because I hate myself and every time someone in the show so much as touches a gun or a knife the accompanying gun cocking or knife drawing sound effect will play and it's completely maddening

Also, the sound of a safety catch or a hammer cocking when someone draws a Glock. A pistol known for not having a hammer or a safety catch. You might as well dub the sound of a tuba over it.

Another one is when the sound effect clearly isn't right for the weapon. Saw a good example of this in an episode of Airwolf. The lead character, Stringfellow Hawke, is being chased by a couple of bad guys with Walther PPKs that make standard TV gun noises. That is, until Hawke disarms one of the baddies and uses his PPK to fire at the other one, at which point it sounds like he's fitted Sledge Hammer's loudener to it.

Oh, and the way characters will work the slide on a semi-auto or the pump on a shotgun for dramatic effect, even though the weapon was already chambered. It's like they're leaving a little trail of unfired ammo in case they need to find their way back later. Just once, I want someone to run out of ammo at a crucial moment because they wouldn't stop dicking around with their gun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

The most egregious example I've seen was in We Bought a Zoo in any scene with the dog that they barely acknowledged existed. It was clearly not moving its mouth at all but every time they showed it walking behind them there was constant barking noises dubbed in.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd like to see a film where this is applied to absolutely everything, so it's just a cacophony of exaggerated noises.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd like to see a film where this is applied to absolutely everything, so it's just a cacophony of exaggerated noises.

My favorite parody of the gun thing is definitely scary movie 3 with the shotgun shovel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Oh, and the way characters will work the slide on a semi-auto or the pump on a shotgun for dramatic effect, even though the weapon was already chambered. It's like they're leaving a little trail of unfired ammo in case they need to find their way back later. Just once, I want someone to run out of ammo at a crucial moment because they wouldn't stop dicking around with their gun.
I feel like there's a scene or possibly a sketch with that exact premise. Key & Peele?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's the same at work. The relentless stream of gifts and flowers anytime someone so much as gets a hangnail. Apparently there's a thing called Bosses Day, and although all three of our department's "bosses" are incompetent at best, we had to all get them flowers and cards, only to hear them respond "wait, this is a thing?"

Bosses Day and Admin Professionals day are my two pet peeves.

My boss probably makes four times what my co-workers and I make, and she's rarely in the office. We're buying her a gift and/or taking her to lunch why?

Our Admin works for the boss, period. She makes that clear whenever you make a request of her. Why are we acting like she works harder than everyone else and taking her to lunch on her "special day"? Shouldn't the boss be doing that?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My toes are cold and I can't find my comfy moccasins.

Finding them probably won't be hard, unless I'm tired and don't want to actually get up off the couch to, you know, find them.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The Mighty Moltres posted:

When someone says something and you couldn't quite hear them, so you say "Pardon?" and they repeat themselves even quieter than before. I don't understand it at all. Hate to break it to you apparently nervous guy, the quieter you get, the more you'll be asked to repeat yourself.

On that note, I get asked a lot if I'm nervous. You see, I have very shaky hands. I always have. I get it from my mom, who got it from my grandfather. It's not so bad when I explain that to people, but sometimes you get the assholes who constantly bring it up or berate you when you're drinking a cup of coffee. Like "You're already so shaky, do you think you really need that?"
The worst time was when I was in school for culinary arts. Twice a week we would open the dining room to the public, kind of like a training restaurant. It was great practice, but we had to take turns being servers. I was filling up a guy's water glass, and he said "Need another drink there, buddy?" gently caress you, dick. Maybe I have MS or Parkinson's or something. I don't, but he doesn't know. To just jump to the assumption that I'm an alcoholic... man that annoyed me.

Reply to an old post but I utterly agree. I have partial hearing loss, optic nerve damage, and my left hand sometimes shakes when I'm doing mundane things.

What do I get? People speaking quietly while refusing to turn their head to me so I can hear them, telling me I need new glasses, and asking if I'm OK when they see my hand shake. gently caress you people! I've been working with you for years! You know exactly what's going on. Just accept that I have to put my nose up to the computer sometimes and that my hand will stop shaking the second you shut up about noticing an essential tremor.

Meanwhile, I'm loud as gently caress when I talk and people still act like they can't hear me. They just lose focus. You asked me the question dickhead! How can your mind wander in the 2 seconds it took me to come up with an answer? "Hey mostlygray, how do I do 'X'?" they say. "Well, you should do 'Y'." I respond. They've already started checking Facebook or staring at their navel by this point. Focus rear end in a top hat!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When I'm listening to the radio and the host talks about a song they're going to play, but then doesn't play it immediately. "There's this great new song that I've been listening to lately that I'm going to play for you, but first, here's a completely different song!"

I don't know how common this is because I don't listen to a lot of radio, but they seem to do it all the time on Triple J.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tiggum posted:

When I'm listening to the radio and the host talks about a song they're going to play, but then doesn't play it immediately. "There's this great new song that I've been listening to lately that I'm going to play for you, but first, here's a completely different song!"

I don't know how common this is because I don't listen to a lot of radio, but they seem to do it all the time on Triple J.

This has been pissing me off about Triple J for a long time. It's not like they need to string people along to keep them hearing ads.

I wish they would just stop.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
People who stand super far away from the last person in line, to the point where you can't tell if they're in the line or not. Nobody's asking you to stand creepily close, dude, but a two foot gap is obnoxious.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

People who, after completing their transaction with the cashier, slowly and deliberately spend two minutes sorting evrything back into their wallet / purse. Bonus points for making unnecessary smalltalk whilst people are behind you waiting for you to move on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Capt.Whorebags posted:

People who, after completing their transaction with the cashier, slowly and deliberately spend two minutes sorting evrything back into their wallet / purse. Bonus points for making unnecessary smalltalk whilst people are behind you waiting for you to move on.

Seconding this. Also waiting until after you pay to even start bagging your stuff. It's always the ones who spend a minute counting out exact change too. I really wish there was a store near me with self checkout lanes.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

MisterBibs posted:

- Wasting a tech support's time because it fixed itself in the middle of that person trying to help me.

actually, speaking as a tech support guy, we love it when stuff just randomly starts working again. It's great, people usually still thank me even though I didn't do poo poo. So yay

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah, I really hate when not only have they been standing in line for 5 minutes, but have been staring slack-jawed at the cashier for the 5 minutes during check out, and wait until there's a total to even bother trying to get out their payment method.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate the "Go Now" feature on the Fandango app, and similar apps on older movie apps I've used.

Great idea - tell me what movie times are showing right now - but they designed it so it literally lists shows that are showing right now. It's not helpful to tell me that in one minute s movie is going to start, dammit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The journey planner on the Public Transport Victoria website is absolute garbage. Going to Google Maps and selecting the public transit option there gives me better advice than the actual website of the organisation that supposedly runs the whole thing. And who the hell decided that it should default to what time you want to leave rather than what time you want to arrive? Who looks at a timetable thinking "well I don't care when I get there, but I want to leave around 2pm"?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Seconding this. Also waiting until after you pay to even start bagging your stuff. It's always the ones who spend a minute counting out exact change too. I really wish there was a store near me with self checkout lanes.

I really hate self checkout lanes, unless the store is not crowded. Invariably, I get stuck behind the person with a room-temperature IQ who can't follow simple prompts, and it takes me longer to buy my one item than it would have if I had gone through the regular checkout.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

I really hate self checkout lanes, unless the store is not crowded. Invariably, I get stuck behind the person with a room-temperature IQ who can't follow simple prompts, and it takes me longer to buy my one item than it would have if I had gone through the regular checkout.

I don't get how some people just can't operate a self-checkout, I mean I've been using them on the regular for about 14 years now, it's not like it's some new thing. The fact that I even have my ID out when I'm buying beer seems to be a rarity as the clerks seem genuinely shocked that I have it out for them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't get how some people just can't operate a self-checkout, I mean I've been using them on the regular for about 14 years now, it's not like it's some new thing. The fact that I even have my ID out when I'm buying beer seems to be a rarity as the clerks seem genuinely shocked that I have it out for them.

I quit using it to buy beer. Even though I look older than Clint Eastwood, and I don't get carded, it usually takes the clerk about five minutes to get to me because she's trying to help some other moron who can't work the machine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

I quit using it to buy beer. Even though I look older than Clint Eastwood, and I don't get carded, it usually takes the clerk about five minutes to get to me because she's trying to help some other moron who can't work the machine.

Eh, I'm usually doing it after work so the self-checkout is somehow faster than an express lane. But yeah, it takes them 5 minutes because they have to walk some idiot through the self-checkout process

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

These are always the same kind of people that walk into a building and stop dead in their tracks in the doorway. Then they have to gently caress around with some stupid fussy thing while people pile up behind them trying to get into the drat building. :argh:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright I guess the broader pet peeve in all of this is "Jesus Christ maybe plan even a little bit before you buy something off Craigslist" but basically, I had a nice antique couch I put up for sale and some woman drove from another state to come get it with her daughter. She came with two small dogs in the SUV for whatever crazy reason. Our driveway is on a steep hill and she parks with the back of the car facing DOWN THE HILL instead of towards the garage at the top. I'm the only guy around and we're struggling to get the drat thing in the car from a down angle cause it's heavy as hell and none of us are particularly strong. The dogs both jump out of the car and run down the street and the teenage daughter is chasing them to get them back. After struggling forever I manage to pull the thing into the car from the inside and wedge it enough that it fits (which is barely, even though she knew how big the thing was). She then slams the hatchback on her daughters head without waiting for her to get out of the way (they were both lifting from the back at that point). Then her car breaks down when she tries to leave. I help jump it out in the street where she got it and she says a light is on saying the brakes need checked. I offered to call a towing company or something and she said she thought they would be ok and took off and I assume they died shortly after

What the gently caress was that :psyduck: was I on some lovely Sam Hyde prank show or something

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

MightyJoe36 posted:

Self checkouts have been bothering me a lot lately. The first time I used one was my freshman year of college, when they had just installed four of them at the local Fred Meyer. I wouldn't say I enjoyed the experience, but it was nice to be able to buy condoms without teenage embarrassment, and I remember thinking that this was a technology that this was a good first try, and destined to get better as technology improved.

Instead, what we've gotten is MORE. My local Fred Meyer now has 12 of the machines, overseen by the same one person that used to handle four, so any alcohol purchase or - god forbid - technical issue requiring an override requires trying to catch the person's eye. He may rightly decide to help the frail old lady or the insistent frazzled mom first, so I might wait several minutes for three seconds of his attention. They already invented a system to determine who gets the checker's attention and when; it was called the line.

The machines themselves are smaller, because more have to fit in the same space, so it's hard to get even a single person's bi-weekly shopping into the weighing area. The technology, rather than improving, seems to have gone backwards: the scales are buggier, the touch screen laggier, the scanners less sensitive, and the interface less personalized (it used to say "scan your Fred Meyer Rewards card" but now it says "scan your shoppers card," etc.) than I remember them being in their early stages. That was 14 years ago - pre-smartphone, pre-Youtube.

The only real improvement has been their surprisingly recent move to be able to accept paper coupons without bothering the guy on duty, but that only lasted about a year before they shifted everything to the mobile app anyway and more or less stopped printing coupons.

I'm sure they've spent millions on user testing that clearly shows customers won't tolerate paying a few more cents for a customized greeting for the store you're in, or for a touchscreen from this century, or for scanner that won't erase your credit cards if you happen to set your wallet on it, so this is what we get. I'm just always surprised to compare where that technology is at, to where I thought it would be by this point. Makes u think.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aesop Poprock posted:

Alright I guess the broader pet peeve in all of this is "Jesus Christ maybe plan even a little bit before you buy something off Craigslist" but basically, I had a nice antique couch I put up for sale and some woman drove from another state to come get it with her daughter. She came with two small dogs in the SUV for whatever crazy reason. Our driveway is on a steep hill and she parks with the back of the car facing DOWN THE HILL instead of towards the garage at the top. I'm the only guy around and we're struggling to get the drat thing in the car from a down angle cause it's heavy as hell and none of us are particularly strong. The dogs both jump out of the car and run down the street and the teenage daughter is chasing them to get them back. After struggling forever I manage to pull the thing into the car from the inside and wedge it enough that it fits (which is barely, even though she knew how big the thing was). She then slams the hatchback on her daughters head without waiting for her to get out of the way (they were both lifting from the back at that point). Then her car breaks down when she tries to leave. I help jump it out in the street where she got it and she says a light is on saying the brakes need checked. I offered to call a towing company or something and she said she thought they would be ok and took off and I assume they died shortly after

What the gently caress was that :psyduck: was I on some lovely Sam Hyde prank show or something

You should have told her to turn the car around.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

You should have told her to turn the car around.

I'm one of those people who meekly suggested it and she was slightly manic and said we could do it so I just went along with it. You know that energy where the person is friendly but loud and constantly talkative and there doesn't seem to be any non-rude way to go against it. that was it we had to launch the couch at a 70 degree angle into a too small suv

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Back to the unnecessary party stuff at work...my birthday is in two weeks and I know our admin (who is very sweet) has a list of birthdays, so I asked her not to do anything for it. She understood and tried to keep her own birthday under wraps because it's all getting out of hand but people found out anyway and bought cakes and flowers for her after the fact. This is what I mean--it's not thoughtful, it's last minute and rushed and half-assed and I don't want to have to fake gratitude for poorly-planned, rushed gifts.

I thought I'd gotten there fast enough but the coworker I like the least actually asked her for my birthday last week, because I had specifically said I didn't want anything. At some point it's rude and disrespectful to disregard someone's wishes. I'm not being passive-aggressive or "testing" anyone when I say I don't want to celebrate my birthday with them this year. It doesn't mean I secretly want a surprise party. I simply want to celebrate with the people I care about, and not a bunch of coworkers I can barely tolerate. I know my girlfriend wants to send me flowers and I'm thinking of asking her not to send me anything at work so I don't spark some bullshit day-after last-minute rush to provide gifts everyone's sick of buying.

I do like my birthday, but my job is super stressful and I don't like most of my coworkers and I"m tired of trying to pretend I do.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

On one hand I get where you are coming from, but on the other it's just a free cake and drinks, who cares, just say a fake thanks and move on.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The local grocery store recently put up a notice on the doors that says "no animals or pets including ''''''therapy comfort dogs/animals''''; only legal service animals only". Now if only every other public store can put up and enforce that. Stepping in dog poo poo and having dogs get all up in your junk is the opposite of good and i have no idea why people are so rude as to bring animals into these places.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

On one hand I get where you are coming from, but on the other it's just a free cake and drinks, who cares, just say a fake thanks and move on.

Sure...we do a "monthly birthdays" cake every month anyway, no worries there and they're still doing that. But the flowers, extra cakes, lunches...that's what's breaking us. I'm not taking free cake out of people's mouths, I'm asking that they don't buy extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Take lovely gifts, say thanks, sell on Ebay, MONEY.