Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably the best way to implement the secret exit in a level like this would be to use L/R scrolling to have the (?) Orb pop out of a wall somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This should have been a ghost house with a hint at the start that said, "Look behind you!" and some sort of enemy setup that would lead the player to hitting L/R without having it spelled out in coins.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I kind of liked at least the idea of the bits where you had to make sure that the platform at the top of the screen kept the rainbow shell up there; thought it looked like there might have been too much nonsense to try to dodge at the same time for it to be fun in the actual level.
My first thought when you first hopped on a platform was that it'd make a neat elevator gimmick... and then I actually saw it in play later in the level and changed my mind completely.
And yeah, the vertical bar you had to scroll the screen to get past? Why? What did it even add to the level besides making you stop and sit there for a minute?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

FishOnAPiano posted:

And yeah, the vertical bar you had to scroll the screen to get past? Why? What did it even add to the level besides making you stop and sit there for a minute?

It's a warning that you're entering the lovely Mechanics Zone.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd like to give a small post-mortem on the level's concept after two months of sitting on this footage. I don't think the concept of a variable Layer 2 is inherently awful. There are definitely ways it could be used to make for an interesting gimmick. Climbing the vine in the first half while avoiding projectiles that are being thrown at different horizontal levels was a cool bit. The problem is that this level's implementation of the gimmick never really feels natural. The L/R scroll walls are weird to handle in the situations they're presented, the elevator at the end is really hard to play because Mario keeps getting stuck in the blocks (and I've seen other people manage to make these "camera-trickery" elevators without Mario getting stuck so I'm not sure what happened here) and in general the climbing just never feels great when put into claustrophobic situations like those seen in the first half of the level especially. I think people just don't really know how to handle creating these types of levels most of the time. Case in point, there was a level I judged for the oldschool level design contest that we ultimately disqualified for not fitting within the rules that used this variable scroll in combination with rising/falling layer 2 controlled by ON/OFF switches. Creative, but it was really drat hard because of unforgiving enemy placement and difficult to get powerups.

In short, I think it's less the gimmick and more on the designer to figure out ways to make a gimmick fun. Throwing the player into a level where they have to both learn and use an obscure gimmick AND deal with relatively difficult enemy setups is a recipe for a bad time on the player's part.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I thought the autoscroller near the end of the alternate exit route looked like a decent implementation. Aside from the brutal looking difficulty (claustrophobic space, heaps of unkillable enemies, that bullshit with having to whip the disco shell around at the end) the general flow of that section seemed to gel with the layer 2 mechanic. I think it has a kind of similar feeling to what you're saying about the vine section.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
After reading the thread I was expecting something truly heinous from that level but... eh. At least some parts of it looked like they could be pretty alright with more reasonable enemy and hazard placements. Seemed kinda thoughtless but not particularly despicable.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It looks like something that looks like hell to play; just because you're exploiting a glitch to do anything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If there had been a mushroom at the midpoint this level would've been over in about 3 minutes instead of 12. Instead you get the uncut mess of me trying to navigate a million baseballs.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Judge World seems really self serving and indulgent. These 2 levels wouldn't have likely cracked the top 10. Had they been judged like all the others, since judging was already anonymous, then it might have been a little better. But having them be showcased as they are, having them require a huge effort to even attain, and having them be unjudged, it should have been really drat good/special. These aren't atrocious, but they haven't seemed to have been designed to be fun/cool either.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I'm just waiting for one of the remaining judge levels to have floating Munchers.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Weeble posted:

I'm just waiting for one of the remaining judge levels to have floating Munchers.

Naked pipes that terminate in a single muncher facing the wrong way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This level didn't look nearly as awful as the last. If it gave power ups regularly as it should have, it would've been a pretty okay level.

But lacking those definitely made it much worse than it should've been. That's one incredibly stupid mistake for the sake of being "hard". You can be hard and not be unfair to the player!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well I was really excited for that Waluigi level, but now I'm apprehensive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, that level showered you with mushrooms in the first half and then the second half is completely devoid of them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The coin at the beginning was a nice touch. The first half in general seemed pretty inoffensive.

Even with the lack of powerups I think it would have been salvageable if it had been cut down a bit. If they took like the best 3 setups after the midpoint and then ended it I think it would have made a fine level. It seemed like it had a lot of padding, in the form of platforming that was tough enough to kill you if you were being sloppy and just trying to get through to the tricky parts, but not actually tough enough to be interesting or challenging.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Have you checked whether these *did* get scores?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He checked the first judge level; it didn't have scores.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

when I was watching the video in the background and heard all the complaints about it being unfair, I thought to myself "sounds like someone abused savestates to beat their own level. Sounds like... yeeeeeeeeep its ninja boy"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

Judge World seems really self serving and indulgent. These 2 levels wouldn't have likely cracked the top 10.

I'll be among the first to say that you don't have to be a creator of content to be a good judge of that content (e.g. art critics don't have to be good artists). But there's no reason to showcase the output of a judge if they aren't any good! So you're right, this feels really self-indulgent. Like "hey, we're in charge of this competition, let's make our own criticism-free levels!"

EDIT: vvv okay, if it's tradition, then the other judges ought to judge each judge's level (anonymously, alongside all the other levels they have to judge). Then at least it should be evident that the levels aren't really meant to be on a pedestal.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 31, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I wouldn't say it's self indulgent, it's more that it's become a tradition to have judges for level design contests each make a level to go into a postgame world all while following the contest's rules. Heck, I'm supposed to make a level for the OLDC compilation since I judged it. I have no reason to believe that the judges made these levels thinking that they were doing so free of feedback or criticism and probably just thought they were doing a good job. After that point, we get into the subjectivity of whether or not the levels are good and fun.

The next video is a good time though. I'll safely spoil that for people.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That level was okay, but it really needed more power ups in the 2nd section. Hopefully Waluigi land will be better, but those 2 levels aren't getting my hopes up.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

The next video is a good time though. I'll safely spoil that for people.

Thank goodness. I, too, await the WAA

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Having looked at some of Ninja Boy's videos of him playing SMW hacks in the related, he apparently plays the game horribly stretched, on ZSNES, and abuses rewind.

So yeah.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At least there was no layer 2 or 3 tomfoolery

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It looked like a pretty solid level held back by one critical flaw because its designer never actually starts from the midpoint.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah that felt less like a "used savestates" level and more of a "always started from the beginning where the powerups were" level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Remember folks, test your levels from the midpoint.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

That's precisely why Mario maker forces you to. (The other reason being midpoint traps but, well, that's another problem entirely)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FishOnAPiano posted:

Thank goodness. I, too, await the WAA

Just realized that we missed a chance to have the Waluigi episode on WAAlloween :spooky: Oh well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The bullshit factor of that level could have been dramatically reduced if Ninja Boy put in a couple of power-ups past the midway point.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

get that OUT of my face posted:

The bullshit factor of that level could have been dramatically reduced if Ninja Boy put in a couple of power-ups past the midway point.

Yeah, just watching it the level didn't seem all that bad except for the lack of mushrooms in the second half. Not that it would be a great level with more power-ups, but I don't think it would've been bad.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The 2nd level was better than the first. You can tell because there's no cuts and the video didn't go on for 30 mins like the first one did.

Still doesn't look great, looked kind of frustrating.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
That level definitely would've been better if they gave you a cape instead of a mushroom. Although come to think of it, this entire contest has been criminally low on the amount of capes you can get, it's as if every level creator is terrified of giving you any extra mobility.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Eopia posted:

That level definitely would've been better if they gave you a cape instead of a mushroom. Although come to think of it, this entire contest has been criminally low on the amount of capes you can get, it's as if every level creator is terrified of giving you any extra mobility.

I think this is out of fear of people using the cape to fly over the entirety of your level... which isn't really a problem if your level has a ceiling, or like this last one, is a goddamn autoscroller.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Olive! posted:

I think this is out of fear of people using the cape to fly over the entirety of your level... which isn't really a problem if your level has a ceiling, or like this last one, is a goddamn autoscroller.

You can still fly over autoscrollers, it just takes longer. I would happily tap Left every second or so if it meant I got to fly over this level.

For a fun time, one of the Forest of Illusion levels in the original game does some funky things with parallax scrolling to make it look like the platform you're on is moving super-quickly. But if you fly through the level instead, the parallax scrolling doesn't kick in, so the level feels a lot more sedate even though you're moving through it considerably more quickly than you would be if you rode the platform.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's like, if lots of people feel like flying over your level, you've done something wrong. Sure, some people will anyway, but if your level is so rear end that the only way people feel like playing it is to not, then they're not the problem.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kurui Reiten posted:

It's like, if lots of people feel like flying over your level, you've done something wrong. Sure, some people will anyway, but if your level is so rear end that the only way people feel like playing it is to not, then they're not the problem.

The opposite can also be true, where your level is actually well-crafted and fair but the player chooses to fly over it anyway. In that case, that's the player's decision to play a level but not actually play a level by flying over it instead.

For that reason, I used to include capes back when I was making stuff. If the player wants to fly over my level, that's their choice.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 37 - Live Free or Bum Hard :siren:

We fight all three of the goddess statues in this episode! It goes, uh, poorly. Maybe. Also I am sick and tired of these huge zones with tons of doors to check.

Youtube may still be processing as of this post, so give it a few minutes if you want HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Spoilering since the video is still processing.

Or just hover over it and be confused for the lack of context.

There's just one thing to mention so no real update today. Dispel does work. May not really "help" since a turn casting dispel is a turn not casting ultima. But you know what they say: "A stitch in time saves 9999"

• Locked thread