Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Good ol Dirty Dirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I have yet to hear a single person from Germany say that. It's like the ridiculous poo poo with "Die Mannschaft" in soccer. Another victory for Die Mannschaft! Nobody is saying that in Germany, sports writer from the USA. Stop it.

Also, I am glad the Warriors played their hearts out and saved Steve Kerr's job. Dude was definitely on the hot seat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
BBRs nickname section is just an elaborate troll job.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Personally, I call him the Diggler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's his own Twitter bio and I think the Mavs PA guy says it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's actually all one nickname.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Who the hell ever thought the German Race Car was appropriate?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Chinese folk

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It beat out White Power Forward

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

polite of them to leave out Patrick Ewing's Chinese nickname

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The Little Emperor still runs the East. I am excited to see how Sweet Melon works out for the Thunder and Flying Man with the Kings!

What is Ewing's nickname?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That name list needs Ghost Face Drilla and the German Moses.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Good ol Dirty Dirk.
I miss the old days of Dirty, Nasty, and Filthy.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's his own Twitter bio and I think the Mavs PA guy says it

Correct.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What are some good basketball podcast? This is the first season in like a decade and a half I'm paying attention to basketball, and I'm a lakers fan mostly. I do enjoy watching the Rockets Pelicans and Twolves as well. Harden might actually be my favorite current player

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What are some good basketball podcast? This is the first season in like a decade and a half I'm paying attention to basketball, and I'm a lakers fan mostly. I do enjoy watching the Rockets Pelicans and Twolves as well. Harden might actually be my favorite current player

Zach Lowe's podcast (The Lowe Post) is really good, in my opinion. Adrian Wojronowski's is also pretty good. Bill simmons podcast covers everything and is pretty hit or miss on top of him being a huge Celtics homer, so ymmv.

Stay away from the Ringer NBA Show it is abject garbage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dunced on is very good.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Dunc'd on is the best one. I like the Lowe post and the Simmons podcast.

I don't HATE the Ringer NBA show, but I skip episodes more than I listen

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What the heck, get on that Vlade
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/925386289427484672

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Harden might actually be my favorite current player

The philistines in this thread hate him because because he doesn't dunk or ostentatiously block shots and is only good at boring things like "putting the ball in the basket at a high rate" and "creating wide open looks for teammates" and "being a pick and roll genius", but don't let them dissuade you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Up until the last couple of weeks, Mario Hezonja was one of the worst players in the NBA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

Up until the last couple of weeks, Mario Hezonja was one of the worst players in the NBA

Let me talk to you about Malachi Richardson

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
James Harden is really good but have you guys heard of Eric Gordon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate the Bulls and everything they have done, but Harden is forever on my poo poo list for that "foul" call on MCW, among other terrible flops.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Just making sure everybody saw KAT's kicks

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dope

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

The philistines in this thread hate him because because he doesn't dunk or ostentatiously block shots and is only good at boring things like "putting the ball in the basket at a high rate" and "creating wide open looks for teammates" and "being a pick and roll genius", but don't let them dissuade you.

I miiiiiiiight have a three foot tall framed version of this hanging in my house.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
James Harden is in some very fine GIFs i will give him that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

Likely the same fools that think KG was better than Dirk.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spacebump posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQy0ib1vdE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder what the unwritten rules around the use of the n-word in sports are. Can you get T'ed up for it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are bad white wide receiver you can say it without problems .

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

zoux posted:

I wonder what the unwritten rules around the use of the n-word in sports are. Can you get T'ed up for it?

Just don't yell it at the ref and no one really gives a gently caress.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have no problems admitting Harden is one of the best players in the league. I just only like watching him as far as admiration for his craft. If they'd changed the rules so an offensive player creating contact cannot result in a defensive foul, I'd probably like him a lot more.

zoux posted:

Like most things I'd imagine the context would matter a lot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

He was

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lockback posted:

You must think Embiid sucks because any team in the East with 2 top-25 players should be a playoff team and probably a 1st round home playoff team. Simmons is still young, he's putting up numbers but he still has a lot to do to round off his game.

Embiid is the better player right now, though Simmons will almost certainly be a monster. He still needs some time.

KAT is still 21 for another 2 weeks, and I think he affects the game more right now than Simmons.

I was hammered last night so I have to stand by this and hope I am right in the end

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
BBR question: I'm looking to get a table of the usage leader for each season. Is that easily possible without data mining? It's easy to find tables for top usage rates of all times, and top usage rates over a given season, but I can't figure out how to aggregate so I just have the top one from each season. Is that possible with the default search features, or am I gonna have to look at each years usage leaders and then extract the top guy and merge it all together?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Usg is definitely a stat you can filter by in the player season finder

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, that just brings individual seasons though.

Anyways, I did find it, it was kinda buried somewhere so it's a moot point, I'm just an idiot.

The end result of my dumb eyeball test of looking at tables and not crunching any numbers is that I've come to the anecdotal conclusion that you have to be in the top 3 USG% to win a scoring title, unless your name is Kevin Durant or Adrian Dantley.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 31, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yeah, that just brings individual seasons though.

Anyways, I did find it, it was kinda buried somewhere so it's a moot point, I'm just an idiot.

The end result of my dumb eyeball test of looking at tables and not crunching any numbers is that I've come to the anecdotal conclusion that you have to be in the top 3 USG% to win a scoring title, unless your name is Kevin Durant or Adrian Dantley.

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/usg_pct_top_10.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/925452332950867969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I know he's been bad but it's just hard to believe no one wants to take a flier on him

• Locked thread