Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Starshark posted:

Who was it who came up with the 'nothing burger' line anyway? There's been so much poo poo flying around in the last eight months I really can't keep up.

Well, the word itself goes back to the 1950s. The first mention of it in relation to Russia seems to have come from ... Ted Cruz, talking about Sessions' meetings with the Russian ambassador. But as the previous poster says, the term was already being heavily used in relation to the Her Emails scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Starshark posted:

Who was it who came up with the 'nothing burger' line anyway? There's been so much poo poo flying around in the last eight months I really can't keep up.

loquacius posted:

Ironically enough the first time I ever heard it used was by Dems, w/r/t the DNC email leaks

Granted it's definitely not anywhere near as ironic as when that happened with "fake news" but still

e: I think Obama called something a "stinkburger" once but I only remember that because Hope'n'Change seized on it as an opportunity to be crass for no real reason

I don't have my safire available at the moment to get the exact context, but it's several decades old- I think 60s or 70s.

edit: a tiny googling says it was used in the context of describing shallow hollywood personalities (and lovely LA marketing ideas) in the 1950s, then migrated to capitol hill over the next couple decades. It gained new prominence when Anne Buford (the mother of Justice Gorsuch) used it to describe her proposed appointment to NOAA after royally screwing up the EPA under Reagan, in 1984.

Its original meaning was someone with a hollow or fake personality with no substance underneath- or an idea that had no substance.

My source is http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Where-did-the-term-nothing-burger-actually-11283897.php

I'll see if I can dig up my safire if folks are really interested.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 31, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm pretty sure I've heard the term "nothingburger" for years, it's just become a lot more popular since being used to describe various things in the 2016 election.

e: beaten

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

These phrases or odd names are when really gives me :tinfoil: about the news. On day everyone will be calling something a nothingburger. Fox will call it a nothingburger and MSM will wonder aloud if it is in fact a nothingburger, really. They could be copying eachother but it sounds like everyone (no matter their angle) gets the memo on the buzzphrase for the day.

And the natural finish is cartoonist drawing it 3 week out of date like they are clever. You aren't clever for drawing a work that was said 10,000 times the week before you hacks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bombadilillo posted:

They could be copying eachother but it sounds like everyone (no matter their angle) gets the memo on the buzzphrase for the day.
The right does. The media copies.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump chewing the face off his chief of staff would win him points in my book.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bors is a national treasure. :allears:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cpt.Americant posted:

Also particularly great because while the rest of the world was focusing on Manafort, Fox News literally talked about a "controversy" involving what cheeseburger emojis should actually look like. Don't know if that's part of the reference or just a happy coincidence.

Too good to be true.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 31, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Radish posted:

Trump chewing the face off his chief of staff would win him points in my book.

This post needs to go places. Out of context.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Right-wing comic idea

"Trump is charged of basically all the crime"
"Why is the MSM and LIBERALS (LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS) picking on Trump?!"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

albany academy posted:

Trump wouldn't go near a book repository

Which would make it an ingenious sniping spot for Trump.

And now, 40 lashes for me for using "ingenious" and "Trump" in the same sentence.

Looks like the new right-wing talking point is off to a good start.

Not surprised this is Lester's takeaway from the Spacey story.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Muller is an unstoppable force, AGC

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kevin Spacey, GBS poster

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

All these mindless wingnut cheerleaders had these things ready to go no matter who Mueller pinched, didn't they. All the final draft required was labeling the "amusingly small thing" as "Manafort."

Also...

quote:

Learn how to punctuate, you hate-drunk rear end in a top hat.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

This is somehow even lazier than when he posts a blank cartoon.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Sandpuppy posted:

Looks like the new right-wing talking point is off to a good start.

Trump the Whale is very happy he's not a fish.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

This is funny to anyone following Australian politics, especially the windmill.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well, they caught Manafort--nothing but a small fish, a common "winning presidential campaign manager." Well, glad that whole Russia investigation thing is over!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Mueller is just one step closer now that he's caught the bait he can use to get Trump. AGC

Also man some of the delusion going on acting like these indictments are no big deal. For all the talk about crooked hillary they sure really don't care when they support criminals and those criminals directly support the president.

I couldn't even imagine how badly they would be screaming in an alternate universe where this was happening to Hillary.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:golfclap: You should take the "Paul Manafort" out though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Avirosb posted:

Trump the Whale is very happy he's not a fish.

"ha ha! The guy with the fishing pole didn't catch me!"

-a whale

Also, I like how they're calling Manafort a small fish or small fry, because it indicates an awareness of bigger fish out there to be caught.

Hillary :v:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Ularg posted:

Also man some of the delusion going on acting like these indictments are no big deal. For all the talk about crooked hillary they sure really don't care when they support criminals and those criminals directly support the president.

Not that it's much of a surprise, but Trump supporters have already established their fallback position of LOL whatever, even if Trump himself cops to colluding with Russia.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
You'd kinda think that political cartoonists of all people would see the value of getting a small fish - aren't they the ones who keep doodling small fish being eaten by progressively bigger fish?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Lightning Knight posted:

:golfclap: You should take the "Paul Manafort" out though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know "literally the opposite of reality" gets rolled out a lot in response to these comics but I have never, ever seen it more loving blatantly, exaggeratedly used than here. loving hell, welcome to topsy-turvy land.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:newlol:

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010

Why would you loving orient this to be unreadable? Just flip it around, it still works. God dammit all you pol cartoonists need to take a basic illustration class.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HereCometheKillBots posted:

Why would you loving orient this to be unreadable? Just flip it around, it still works. God dammit all you pol cartoonists need to take a basic illustration class.

They were more concerned about showing Mueller's face than the headlines. :v:

And of course they still labeled him in spite of that lmao.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Selachian posted:

Well, the word itself goes back to the 1950s. The first mention of it in relation to Russia seems to have come from ... Ted Cruz, talking about Sessions' meetings with the Russian ambassador. But as the previous poster says, the term was already being heavily used in relation to the Her Emails scandal.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
All the conservative political cartoonists using the same talking point is hilarious, sad and angering all at the same time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

A Hillary Clinton indictment. For gently caress's sake. These people need to get over their own fan fiction.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Moddington posted:

This is somehow even lazier than when he posts a blank cartoon.

Do newspapers actually print these things?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Starshark posted:

This is funny to anyone following Australian politics, especially the windmill.

This works for American audiences with zero modification, really. At a first glance I thought that was the iron fence on Pennsylvania Avenue and without examining further assumed it the shape in the background was the White House.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Cubelodyte posted:

This works for American audiences with zero modification, really. At a first glance I thought that was the iron fence on Pennsylvania Avenue and without examining further assumed it the shape in the background was the White House.

Yeah, the way I tracked it was (left to right) Whitehouse staff leakers, judges blocking executive action, scary Islamic women, green energy / coal arch nemesis, and...

OK Australia, please explain the chickens orbiting a Welcome Home sign.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

OK Australia, please explain the chickens orbiting a Welcome Home sign.

Not Australian, but I assume it represents chickens coming home to roost?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I wish we could destroy Cillizza's career

https://twitter.com/cillizzacnn/status/852568945982930944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain::respek::spooky:

Ghoul-dian:

"Martin Rowson on the Trump-Russia inquiry – The special investigation into Russian election meddling closed in dramatically on Donald Trump on Monday, as news broke that a former foreign policy adviser pleaded guilty to perjury over his contacts with Russians linked to the Kremlin and the president’s former campaign manager and another aide faced charges of money laundering"

Terror-graph:

In-de-pee'd-pants:

Budget: Hammond faces spending dilemma, says IFS

End Times:

Eviling Stand-arrgh:

Netflix cancels House of Cards amid Kevin Spacey allegations

Maul:
Mac on... Westminster 'sex pest' scandal

• Locked thread