Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
have you tried to put hats on cats? it’s not like the good doctor implied cats hate hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

ex pope doing ok

Catzinger.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice hat.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Make The Holy See Again

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GUNS posted:

POOL IS CLOSED and StashAugustine, have you considered....Orthodoxy? :mrgw:

related question have you 2 considered mainline protestantism. my dad is a pastor and has been divorced for years and nobody gives him poo poo about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Washington Post has a selection of Luther's theses that were not included in the published version.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

related question have you 2 considered mainline protestantism. my dad is a pastor and has been divorced for years and nobody gives him poo poo about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm less concerned about divorce in particular and more about mild depression colliding with a massive shift in worldview

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the orthodox can divorce bruh

although the super-conservatives are all getting influenced by catholics now, so they probably believe remarriage is a sin

edit: which is historically weird because the actual old-school conservatives, not these new hyperdox converts, all think ecumenicism is the worst possible sin. But where does this anti-gay, anti-birth-control, anti-divorce poo poo come from? Calvinists and Catholics. And in Russia's case, contacts with the American Religious Right that go back to the eighties. They were so entranced by it that they didn't notice that other religions were sneaking in through the back door, which is why you now have books written by the hyperdox that try to argue, for instance, that substitutionary atonement is an Orthodox position. Or covenant theology.

there are entire things dedicated to "a bridge between Orthodox and Reformed," and it loving worries me, because these people seem to have no idea that the bridge goes two ways and their minds are being taken over.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 31, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

the orthodox can divorce bruh

although the super-conservatives are all getting influenced by catholics now, so they probably believe remarriage is a sin

edit: which is historically weird because the actual old-school conservatives, not these new hyperdox converts, all think ecumenicism is the worst possible sin. But where does this anti-gay, anti-birth-control, anti-divorce poo poo come from? Calvinists and Catholics. And in Russia's case, contacts with the American Religious Right that go back to the eighties. They were so entranced by it that they didn't notice that other religions were sneaking in through the back door, which is why you now have books written by the hyperdox that try to argue, for instance, that substitutionary atonement is an Orthodox position. Or covenant theology.

there are entire things dedicated to "a bridge between Orthodox and Reformed," and it loving worries me, because these people seem to have no idea that the bridge goes two ways and their minds are being taken over.

Maybe you can go make your own authentically Orthodox community untainted by these negative influences of American culture... isolated from the outside, like Saint Benedict...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

related question have you 2 considered mainline protestantism. my dad is a pastor and has been divorced for years and nobody gives him poo poo about it

My reaction to this last night was "the SBC congregations aren't mainline?" so I decided to sit on it overnight. This morning I have to admit that I'm still confused, but my experiences with the church are all strongly colored by growing up mostly within the Bible Belt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so we've got spiro agnew, dukakis, and now george papadopolous

gently caress, are there no famous NON FUCKUP orthodox in america except tom hanks

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The guy from Depeche Mode?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: which is historically weird because the actual old-school conservatives, not these new hyperdox converts, all think ecumenicism is the worst possible sin. But where does this anti-gay, anti-birth-control, anti-divorce poo poo come from? Calvinists and Catholics. And in Russia's case, contacts with the American Religious Right that go back to the eighties.

Sure, young Earth creationists have started to pop-up fairly recently in Russia, and almost exclusively thanks to 'scientific' articles from America, but other things are not as obvious. Even if we go beyond obvious Biblical passages and quotes from early Church Fathers, there is certainly more to it than just American influences.
The understanding of marriage as described in the official social teaching of ROC draws heavily on Catholic teachings, when it comes to openness to life and birth control, the documents all but quote Papal encyclicals. Anti-gay stance, though, has been present in Russia since God knows when, but Peter I was the first to make homosexual acts punishable in the army (following German example?), and then Nicholas I on religious grounds has criminalised all homosexual acts between men (lesbians were only prosecuted in Finland, interestingly). This step was heavily supported by ROC at the time, too. Although it was rarely enforced, this law nevertheless was in power all the way until 1917, only to be reinstated by Stalin in 1933.
There also plenty of influential non-Russian figures, most notably Paisios of Mount Athos and some other Athos monks, who provide the most ammo for conservatives, or however you want to call them, in Russia and abroad in discussions surrounding those issues.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

My reaction to this last night was "the SBC congregations aren't mainline?" so I decided to sit on it overnight. This morning I have to admit that I'm still confused, but my experiences with the church are all strongly colored by growing up mostly within the Bible Belt.

baptists are weird, they’re more considered evangelical than mainline. mainline usually refers to lutherans, methodists, episcopals, probably a couple others. how should i know, i only have a master’s degree

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what's wrong with finnish lesbians

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

baptists are weird, they’re more considered evangelical than mainline. mainline usually refers to lutherans, methodists, episcopals, probably a couple others. how should i know, i only have a master’s degree
all the WASPy and boring ones

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

Finns used to have partial autonomy in the Russian Empire, so maybe Valiantman knows more about it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

HEY GUNS posted:

They get the hotter ladies.

Sorry, the time of autonomy isn't my strong suite. I'm more into the Middle Ages and post-independence.

Speaking of which, full 100 years 6th of December. :toot:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a giant family tree chart of protestantism anywhere like the one for Tommyverse

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The term "mainline Protestant" (at least here in :911:-land) usually refers to the moderate/progressive Protestant denominations. The SBC is not mainline, but from what I understand there might be some individual SBC congregations that are pretty close. For Baptists, the biggest denomination I'm aware of that would probably be considered mainline is American Baptist Churches USA.

Senju Kannon posted:

I don't have a degree in religion or anything but I've always thought it's a bad idea to break it down along these lines. There are progressive Baptists, super conservative Lutherans, and everything in between. Also the one thing I Googled just now led me to learn that Neil Gorsuch is Episcopalian? :lol:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
In European context "mainline" (or equivalent) usually refers to Lutherans, Reformed and Anglicans, the original big protestant movements.

Coincidentally, exactly 500 years ago there was some hammering going on at a certain church door in what is currently Germany. It had some pretty unexpected and far-reaching consequences. Happy 500th birthday, the entire reformation!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

Sure, young Earth creationists have started to pop-up fairly recently in Russia, and almost exclusively thanks to 'scientific' articles from America, but other things are not as obvious. Even if we go beyond obvious Biblical passages and quotes from early Church Fathers, there is certainly more to it than just American influences.
The understanding of marriage as described in the official social teaching of ROC draws heavily on Catholic teachings, when it comes to openness to life and birth control, the documents all but quote Papal encyclicals. Anti-gay stance, though, has been present in Russia since God knows when, but Peter I was the first to make homosexual acts punishable in the army (following German example?), and then Nicholas I on religious grounds has criminalised all homosexual acts between men (lesbians were only prosecuted in Finland, interestingly). This step was heavily supported by ROC at the time, too. Although it was rarely enforced, this law nevertheless was in power all the way until 1917, only to be reinstated by Stalin in 1933.
There also plenty of influential non-Russian figures, most notably Paisios of Mount Athos and some other Athos monks, who provide the most ammo for conservatives, or however you want to call them, in Russia and abroad in discussions surrounding those issues.
i mean, historically the ROC is not anti-science at all, is it? that's an American Protestant thing?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

i mean, historically the ROC is not anti-science at all, is it? that's an American Protestant thing?

I'm trying to imagine a Young Earth Lysenkoist and now my head hurts.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The term "mainline Protestant" (at least here in :911:-land) usually refers to the moderate/progressive Protestant denominations. The SBC is not mainline, but from what I understand there might be some individual SBC congregations that are pretty close. For Baptists, the biggest denomination I'm aware of that would probably be considered mainline is American Baptist Churches USA.

I don't have a degree in religion or anything but I've always thought it's a bad idea to break it down along these lines. There are progressive Baptists, super conservative Lutherans, and everything in between. Also the one thing I Googled just now led me to learn that Neil Gorsuch is Episcopalian? :lol:

i think it’s more about liturgy than politics but it kinda also works the other way

i mostly studied catholic theology or contextual theologies so things like this are outside my wheelhouse

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

It kind of was. If we look at some 'big' things, ROC opposed the theory of evolution vehemently and called for its ban, when Darwin's books first reached Russia. And way before that in the 14th century (and the for some time) Cosmas Indicopleustes' Christian Topography that described our planet as flat was held in a higher regard than other more scientific and contemporary books just because it seemingly aligned better with Biblical descriptions of cosmos.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

It kind of was. If we look at some 'big' things, ROC opposed the theory of evolution vehemently and called for its ban, when Darwin's books first reached Russia. And way before that in the 14th century (and the for some time) Cosmas Indicopleustes' Christian Topography that described our planet as flat was held in a higher regard than other more scientific and contemporary books just because it seemingly aligned better with Biblical descriptions of cosmos.
lol holy poo poo what happened to russia

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

I'm trying to imagine a Young Earth Lysenkoist and now my head hurts.
that's a :krad: rpg setting

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

lol holy poo poo what happened to russia

Being the third Rome has its negative side effects.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Paladinus posted:

Cosmas Indicopleustes' Christian Topography that described our planet as flat

Forgive me for interjecting with a technical point, but Cosmas' text is far too silly to let it go. The world, according to Cosmas isn't flat, it is tabernacle shaped. Thus more or less a rectangular box, except the top corners are rounded off. It is the least useful text perhaps ever written for understanding anything about geography, physics, or basic optics, reading like it was written by a semi-literate sixth-century sailor. Which is, of course, exactly who wrote it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Forgive me for interjecting with a technical point, but Cosmas' text is far too silly to let it go. The world, according to Cosmas isn't flat, it is tabernacle shaped. Thus more or less a rectangular box, except the top corners are rounded off. It is the least useful text perhaps ever written for understanding anything about geography, physics, or basic optics, reading like it was written by a semi-literate sixth-century sailor. Which is, of course, exactly who wrote it.

pls don't size shame our planet Earth

she's fatter around the mid-section than at the poles, she spins all tilted, and her magnetic polarity flips every hundred thousand years or so

edit: please don't make me explain her Milankovitch cycles.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 1, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

ROC so anti-science even the ptolemaic system is out

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Some people in the USSR got real real into the Hollow Earth theory at some point. I wonder if it's related.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Some people in the USSR got real real into the Hollow Earth theory at some point. I wonder if it's related.

Soviet mysticism is a really interesting topic. Some argue that state ideologists used to spread bogus science, UFO theories, etc. to give non-religious citizens some semblance of a worldview that doesn't make you want to stop working and die in existential dread. And there were certainly some questionable bits in official text books about cosmic energies and whatnot to make this conspiracy theory at least somewhat believable.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The soviet cult of science was pretty interesting as well - Of course you couldn't go with gods on account of state atheism, but that "Spread Communism to the Stars" poster is rad as hell

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Communist China got into some insane pseudo science too, unfortunately it was all related to how much rice you could realistically grow in a given area and millions of people were murdered by it. Like one guy calculated the amount of incident solar energy per square meter and used photosynthesizing 100% of that as his upper bound for what communist science would soon be able to achieve.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Communist China got into some insane pseudo science too, unfortunately it was all related to how much rice you could realistically grow in a given area and millions of people were murdered by it. Like one guy calculated the amount of incident solar energy per square meter and used photosynthesizing 100% of that as his upper bound for what communist science would soon be able to achieve.

This is darkly amusing since approaching 100% photosynthetic efficiency would require removing all oxygen from the atmosphere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this page fukken rules

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

pls don't size shame our planet Earth

she's fatter around the mid-section than at the poles, she spins all tilted, and her magnetic polarity flips every hundred thousand years or so

edit: please don't make me explain her Milankovitch cycles.
healthy at ANY size, friend

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

this page fukken rules

EDIT: Content
Cosmas Topology

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
The best part of Cosmas is that which comes with this illustration, the hog-deer, one of the fun animals that live in India.

"The hog-deer I have both seen and eaten. The hippopotamus, however, I have not seen, but I had teeth of it so large as to weigh thirteen pounds, and these I sold here. And I saw many such teeth both in Ethiopia and in Egypt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i had multiple people telling me "happy 500" yesterday lol. a goon in my local thread, people on other websites, even people i know irl who don't know my internet name but have heard me tell funy church stories at parties and stuff

• Locked thread