Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, Obsidian Mind stayed in D1 for three years unchanged so it's possible Bungie doesn't think it's an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy crap is that strike on Nessus terrible. Two trips through the open world collecting beams of light for some reason, stand next to a terminal in a room for five minutes, and then a bullet sponge Fallen captain and that’s it? I normally love the strikes but man was that just...nothing.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

xzzy posted:

On the other hand, Obsidian Mind stayed in D1 for three years unchanged so it's possible Bungie doesn't think it's an issue.

Tru that

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a decent chance of raiding after the first week or two? My next two weeks are pretty dang busy so I somehow doubt I'll be getting to raid unless I get lucky with some time on a Sunday or something.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What Eververse armor piece is up today for bright dust?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yodzilla posted:

Holy crap is that strike on Nessus terrible. Two trips through the open world collecting beams of light for some reason, stand next to a terminal in a room for five minutes, and then a bullet sponge Fallen captain and that’s it? I normally love the strikes but man was that just...nothing.

It's the worst strike in the game hands down. Is that the Nightfall this week?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Yodzilla posted:

I hate that strike. I was doing it solo for the exotic quest and that boss is so frustrating. He'd be fine if he went invis a couple of times, but he does it constantly. Once he switched to melee I spent the remainder of the fight dancing around on the large object in the center zone because he could barely hit me there.

Vintersorg posted:

It's the worst strike in the game hands down. Is that the Nightfall this week?
Please no :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am reading it's arms dealer again but with the enemies increasing time when killed and rotating elements.

I hated that one too.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Elysiume posted:

I hate that strike. I was doing it solo for the exotic quest and that boss is so frustrating. He'd be fine if he went invis a couple of times, but he does it constantly. Once he switched to melee I spent the remainder of the fight dancing around on the large object in the center zone because he could barely hit me there.
Please no :(

Lmao you don't have to kill the main boss for the quest, but a Servitor in the room before.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

cvnvcnv posted:

Lmao you don't have to kill the main boss for the quest, but a Servitor in the room before.
I know, but I figured I was most of the way through, so I might as well kill the boss. After he went invis for the third time I was already regretting it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Animations for lots of things are too long. Getting shot while you're popping your super is the worst feeling on the loving planet.

Its weird the campaign story seems to assume you didn't play D1 but also doesn't explain any of the poo poo that happened in D1 very well.

Fallen = Covenant
Hive = Flood
Vex = Robits
Cabal = Space Marine Gorillas

Taken = weird alternate versions of all the above because making new models is expensive

What loving game did you play that makes the Fallen like the Covenant? The Cabal are all covenant units. The Fallen are kind of like elites, but, mainly in the "will stab you" kind of way. Besides, the appropriate way to describe the Fallen is as Mad Max-ian Space Pirates. Which they are. And the Hive are Space Magic Krill. With worms in their heads. And the Vex are bio-luminescent brine shrimp piloting brass chicken robots.

Also, new models are expensive, but the concept behind the Taken is that Oryx is so much of a god that he can literally steal his enemies and make them fight for him. While also altering them on a fundamental level. That's why he's the Taken King. Because he takes. Because he can. (Until we shot him full of holes in his own pocket dimension and let him drift out to be crushed by the atmosphere of saturn)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Taken enemies were fun as hell to fight and cool from a lore perspective as well.

I wish PC players had a chance to do my favorite raid in the game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a small detail but the Taken in D2 are all beings taken from Oryx's time, so you'll notice they are D1 enemies if you look close enough. The phalanxs use solid metal shields, the psions have their old enclosed helmets, the fallen use their old armor, the vex goblins have smaller chrome skulls from their Hezen collective, and so on.
But if you fight Savathun's taken, they have D2 models. Interesting!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
If you're gear level 290 and already handed in all your "Powerful" milestone weeklies is any point in playing progression-wise?

big nipples big life posted:

What Eververse armor piece is up today for bright dust?

Arms

midge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 31, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yodzilla posted:

The only redeeming part of that strike is the comedic effect where you can shoot the boss off of a wall he climbs up, instantly ending the strike.

Other than that, it's a really low point.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

cvnvcnv posted:

I thought I'd go in there and kill him anyway, just to prove to myself what a Bad Dude I am, and got him down to about 25% health twice before getting knocked over the edge both times. I did not attempt a third.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once the boss puts his gun away and goes melee only, it's pretty easy to stand on a pile of crates and be invincible.

Unfortunately it doesn't make the fight any more enjoyable to solo because it takes forever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So at what point, beyond gushing about one of a kind special snowflakes like the MIDA, do scout rifles ever feel like anything more than a plinking practice rifle with a good scope on it to help the people trying to snipe with a controller rather than nail long bomb headshoots with pistols and fully automatic assault rifles?

My last run through the main plot, I was finally warming up to Scout rifles (Later guns = way more 'I'm nowhere near their head and it still counted as a headshot' leeway, apparently?). 301 damage headshoots everywhere as I ran through the almighty and the city. Whether up close of farther away.

Then I dusted off my new handcannon with like, +5-10 whole attack again oh, right. 800 range headshots up close. And easily over 500 when shooting targets on another building. Sure the scout has a better RoF, and handcannons take a decade to reload when not gunslinger. But I feel like I must either be missing something, or the cabal are naturally resistant to scout rifles, or SOMETHING to be causing this apparent performance gap for me to be out damaging Scout rifle headshoots even at longer range with handguns, unless it's the rare occasion I'm trying to shoot someone on the opposite side of an open map.

I'm sure the RoF makes a huge difference in PvP trying to U turn from Space power fantasy to stock TTK race gunplay match, it's even let my casual rear end do well with plinking in quickplay. But in most PvE, I feel like I should only bring it out if I want to hang back and be lazy in a public event.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 31, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

the good fax machine posted:

I thought I'd go in there and kill him anyway, just to prove to myself what a Bad Dude I am, and got him down to about 25% health twice before getting knocked over the edge both times. I did not attempt a third.
The first time I fought him he instantly kicked me which launched me across the arena, hard enough to kill me when I hit a wall. I kept my distance after that.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

the good fax machine posted:

Lol I got halfway, found myself in a dumb place and immediately made an excuse and hurried to return to orbit a split second before dying :negative:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man I want to try Striker some more by every time I do I realize I didn't choose the Sentinel life, the Sentinel life chose me.

Also I need a drat auto rifle to make good use of this War Rig come on Destiny don't do me like this. I hate the model for Mask of the Quiet One but its the best Exotic armor I have otherwise.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bussamove posted:

. I hate the model for Mask of the Quiet One but its the best Exotic armor I have otherwise.

You shut your whore mouth, make the loki helmet gold and embrace the void in style.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 31, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Game really wants me to use Coldheart for some reason. I have gotten 3 out of my Exotic Engrams, including a 284 version from Shaxx's weekly bundle.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I am glad I just started dropping 280 gear right before the raid drops. Hype as gently caress for tomorrow.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Section Z posted:

So at what point, beyond gushing about one of a kind special snowflakes like the MIDA, do scout rifles ever feel like anything more than a plinking practice rifle with a good scope on it to help the people trying to snipe with a controller rather than nail long bomb headshoots with pistols and fully automatic assault rifles?

My last run through the main plot, I was finally warming up to Scout rifles (Later guns = way more 'I'm nowhere near their head and it still counted as a headshot' leeway, apparently?). 301 damage headshoots everywhere as I ran through the almighty and the city. Whether up close of farther away.

Then I dusted off my new handcannon with like, +5-10 whole attack again oh, right. 800 range headshots up close. And easily over 500 when shooting targets on another building. Sure the scout has a better RoF, and handcannons take a decade to reload when not gunslinger. But I feel like I must either be missing something, or the cabal are naturally resistant to scout rifles, or SOMETHING to be causing this apparent performance gap for me to be out damaging Scout rifle headshoots even at longer range with handguns, unless it's the rare occasion I'm trying to shoot someone on the opposite side of an open map.

I'm sure the RoF makes a huge difference in PvP trying to U turn from Space power fantasy to stock TTK race gunplay match, it's even let my casual rear end do well with plinking in quickplay. But in most PvE, I feel like I should only bring it out if I want to hang back and be lazy in a public event.

Handcannons are apparently worse on console due to some shot spread issues that don't seem to exist on PC. Not sure what the deal is there.
Either way, I agree with you entirely. I much prefer my Better Devils to my MIDA Multi Tool or the good Legendary one (I forget the name). It feels superior at the most common engagement ranges, and roughly equivalent (if you can aim without a scope, which is not difficult in a game with bullet magnetism) at longer ranges.
It just feels good to get those one-tap headshot kills. I'm playing Void Warlock, so I bet it's even better if you have something to support reload speeds. Better Devils is still reasonably quick if you take the right perk on it, anyways.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

I have been quietly resenting this title for a long time after somehow completely missing that it wasn't a console only title. Was this a typical console to pc port job or have they done a tidy job?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

THE RAGGY posted:

I have been quietly resenting this title for a long time after somehow completely missing that it wasn't a console only title. Was this a typical console to pc port job or have they done a tidy job?

It good.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It good except the degenerating framerate issue, but hopefully that'll be patched pretty quick

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

THE RAGGY posted:

As long as you don't join a large clan the game runs fine.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
Is the frame rate issue happening while people are in the raid? That's going to suck rear end.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

THE RAGGY posted:

Surprisingly good for a console game. I've never played D1 but I assume the PC version of D2 is better and would be better yet still with more keybind issues, actually being able to set a fuckin waypoint on the map, bigger fireteam size, and not having to go into your fuckin ghost in order to pop your Sparrow like a console scrub.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I've started referring to the Tower as "the place where everyone looks cooler than me".

Is there a place in EDZ where I can futz around with my gear safely without getting shot, but also not have to hear Devrim orgasmically moaning about cheese and clams?

Bonk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 31, 2017

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

ITS GOOD MAAAAAAN!!!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tykero posted:

Handcannons are apparently worse on console due to some shot spread issues that don't seem to exist on PC. Not sure what the deal is there.

Bloom, a cone of RNG that your bullet could go that widened after the initial shot. Pacing your shots did little to remedy it. It was introduced to weapons midway through D1's life cycle and Hand Cannons were the hardest hit deliberately to oust Hand Cannons from being The Gun Type To Use In Crucible. Most PC streamers that are D1 vets have largely reported that bloom is basically not a thing anymore on native KB/M.

Bungie is very bad at balancing weapons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Skoll posted:

Surprisingly good for a console game. I've never played D1 but I assume the PC version of D2 is better and would be better yet still with more keybind issues, actually being able to set a fuckin waypoint on the map, bigger fireteam size, and not having to go into your fuckin ghost in order to pop your Sparrow like a console scrub.

I would like to be able to see info on current challenges while looting poo poo as it seems the glimmer/loot notification blocks it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would like to be able to see info on current challenges while looting poo poo as it seems the glimmer/loot notification blocks it.

Oh yeah, that annoys the gently caress out of me too. Sometimes you have to wait like 15 seconds for them to pop up in the Ghost and it's like, "I'm being shot at, man!".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

probably my biggest annoyance of the game currently

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Section Z posted:

I love scout rifles for the range. Hand cannons have a super short effective range and the assault rifle recoil results in way less dps when the range is far enough that you have to fire in bursts to actually hit. Having something with a lot of range is loving great for those times when a psion will be sniping you from a mile away. Mainly I just find it incredibly satisfying to nail precision shots from halfway across the map. Scout rifles are also pretty ammo efficient, which is nice when you've got an smg/auto rifle in your other slot that burns through ammo super fast.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 31, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would really like to de-bind the mouse wheel from weapon selection as sometimes I accidentally scroll to my power weapon I dont have ammo for while trying to fist a motherfucker in Crucible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bungie made sure the PC port covered the things they knew gamers would complain about most: 4K support and uncapped fps. This was a smart decision, because ports without those options get eviscerated. But it does mean the port is missing really common PC game features like screenshots, text chat and map markers, and the UI seems to be the same as the console version.

The game is very pretty and plays very well on PC.

• Locked thread