Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a lemon behind that rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Schubalts posted:

drat, dude.

But basically, the CD/DVD Monster Ranchers read part of the data on each disc you inserted, then generated a monster that the devs coded for that set of data. Every copy of the game would generate the same monster for the same disc, and some unique monsters were only available from inserting specific music discs.

Pretty sure they use hashes of the cd images.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While season 8 of the Simpsons is certainly oddball it deserves to be called the end of the golden age. After that there are at least five points of no return: Homer getting raped by a panda, Maude getting killed by a T-shirt cannon, Skinner being an imposter, the jockeys are actually elves, and that alligator episode which had that one good gag with the whip guy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Quick look at episode lists and I'd say 8 is the last one where every episode was good and 10 was the last one with more good than bad. And by 14 I stopped watching entirely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's the season after they have the boy band episode, but yeah it's definitely where it devolved into "Oh wow *Insert celebrity here* is over there!".

Nevertheless it still had a few funny moments back then and I will never not laugh at "Yeah that's right... Lieutenant L.T. Smash".

The one where Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger (and Ron Howard) guest star is one I see cited a lot because apparently it's the first one where the celebrity guests playing themselves are treated as the main focus of the episode and Homer is almost their supporting character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We all have our lines, but I'd mark Lisa goes Vegetarian as a key point. The episode itself is fine but you start to see things creeping in that would become terrible down the road. Specifically the Paul McCartney cameo, it was the first episode I can remember where a celeb was on there for the sake of being a celeb. In earlier seasons, famous people would play characters, think Dustin Hoffman as the teacher or Michael Jackson as Michael Jackson, the giant obese white mental patient. In fact, MJ wasn't even credited in the episode and it was years before they finally confirmed it. (Though bizarrely, MJ only performed the spoken lines and not the singing materal)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zoux posted:

We all have our lines, but I'd mark Lisa goes Vegetarian as a key point. The episode itself is fine but you start to see things creeping in that would become terrible down the road. Specifically the Paul McCartney cameo, it was the first episode I can remember where a celeb was on there for the sake of being a celeb. In earlier seasons, famous people would play characters, think Dustin Hoffman as the teacher or Michael Jackson as Michael Jackson, the giant obese white mental patient. In fact, MJ wasn't even credited in the episode and it was years before they finally confirmed it. (Though bizarrely, MJ only performed the spoken lines and not the singing materal)

George Harrison appeared as himself in Homer's Barbershop Quartet, and there was an episode where an entire team's worth of baseball players appeared as themselves as well in Homer at the Bat. It wasn't anything new by the time Lisa the Vegetarian was around, but that's when the focus shifted for sure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SpacePig posted:

George Harrison appeared as himself in Homer's Barbershop Quartet, and there was an episode where an entire team's worth of baseball players appeared as themselves as well in Homer at the Bat. It wasn't anything new by the time Lisa the Vegetarian was around, but that's when the focus shifted for sure.

But there's technically plausible reasons for those.

George Harrison is at an after-party for the Grammy's*, and Mr.Burns specifically recruited pro ball players to win a softball game. Other seasons have similar reasons for guest stars playing themselves. Leonard Nimoy is a "celebrity" guest on the monorail's first voyage, Barry White is the celebrity Grand Marshal for Whacking Day, Sting takes part in a fund-rasing song for Timmy/Bart stuck in the well, etc...

Lisa the Vegetarian is the first time it really stood out (to me, at least) that a celebrity is in Springfield for no legit "plot" reason, just so whatever member of the Simpsons family can go:
Simpson: Wow, it's [Celebrity]! What are YOU doing in Springfield?"
Celebrity: [Insert flimsy excuse here]

*Yes, he then randomly shows up in a car outside Moe's when they're on the roof, but I think it's allowed after the plausible reason if it's a quick joke.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it was a thing where they couldn't legally get him to sing without paying him whatever his fee was at the time, so they were basically forced into getting the impersonator. That's what I remember them saying in the commentary, something to that effect. I think MJ was friends with the impersonator. It really wasn't a thing where he refused to sing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was definitely due to some weird legal mumbo-jumbo and it pissed off the staff that they weren't allowed to advertise "HOLY CRAP THE BIGGEST POP STAR ALIVE RIGHT NOW IS ON OUR SHOW!"

Which of course led to that line in the Itchy & Scratchy Movie episode about "They didn't use their real names, but you could tell it was them!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dustin Hoffman also didn't use his real name when he was Mr. Bergstrom, he was credited as "Sam Etic."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Hoffman the biggest name they'd had on the show up to that point?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the only other big name they had at the time was Albert Brooks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure of the dates, but would Hoffman have been the incumbent Best Actor winner at the Oscars when he appeared? (Not sure which year Rain Man was in.) I think his big movie that year would've been Hook.

I feel like the first celebrity guest who played themselves was Ringo Starr, but await correction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

But there's technically plausible reasons for those.

George Harrison is at an after-party for the Grammy's*, and Mr.Burns specifically recruited pro ball players to win a softball game. Other seasons have similar reasons for guest stars playing themselves. Leonard Nimoy is a "celebrity" guest on the monorail's first voyage, Barry White is the celebrity Grand Marshal for Whacking Day, Sting takes part in a fund-rasing song for Timmy/Bart stuck in the well, etc...

Lisa the Vegetarian is the first time it really stood out (to me, at least) that a celebrity is in Springfield for no legit "plot" reason, just so whatever member of the Simpsons family can go:
Simpson: Wow, it's [Celebrity]! What are YOU doing in Springfield?"
Celebrity: [Insert flimsy excuse here]

*Yes, he then randomly shows up in a car outside Moe's when they're on the roof, but I think it's allowed after the plausible reason if it's a quick joke.

Yeah, this is the distinction I'm trying to get at.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like the first celebrity guest who played themselves was Ringo Starr, but await correction.

GEAR!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It seems a little odd to derail into a discussion that the longest running comedy show of all time "hasn't aged well".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It seems a little odd to derail into a discussion that the longest running comedy show of all time "hasn't aged well".

Is it? You can point at Haley Joel Osment and be like “wow that hasn’t aged well” and he’s still alive

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I think so. In a way at least. Meaning it's lasted THIS long so I think that's worth consideration.

I haven't aged well myself and I'm probably not wording this well so I dunno, but the show's sheer longevity seems to suggest it's aged OK for the most part. That's what I meant.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The individual Simpsons episodes have aged well, they just declined in quality over time. The episodes that were good are still good, the episodes that were never good still aren't good.

open24hours has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Nov 1, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I think so. In a way at least. Meaning it's lasted THIS long so I think that's worth consideration.

I haven't aged well myself and I'm probably not wording this well so I dunno, but the show's sheer longevity seems to suggest it's aged OK for the most part. That's what I meant.

the first 8 seasons aged as well as any TV with a lot of topical references, and better than most

but the show itself has been a parody of those original seasons for longer than those seasons aired. most modern simpsons episodes don't employ the original style of humor that people really liked, which was mostly understated and just on the edge of surreality; they imitate the superficial trappings but go for overstated humor.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the first 8 seasons aged as well as any TV with a lot of topical references, and better than most

but the show itself has been a parody of those original seasons for longer than those seasons aired. most modern simpsons episodes don't employ the original style of humor that people really liked, which was mostly understated and just on the edge of surreality; they imitate the superficial trappings but go for overstated humor.

Parody probably isn’t the best term for what the Simpsons has been for the past 17 years or so. I think pale imitation riding on a nearly critically impeccable past is closer. Referencing and making fun of a past thing in your own history because your current product sucks isn’t really a parody so much as a desperate appeal for approval

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e: doh I was beaten last page

Dexie posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf did a pretty good video on what exactly happened to the Simpsons and why it started going downhill in the first place, and what made it so special to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Was going to link this. It's good and everyone should watch it

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 1, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is it? You can point at Haley Joel Osment and be like “wow that hasn’t aged well” and he’s still alive

Haley Joel has aged wonderfully. He's a very funny and talented comic actor.

A crazy thing to me about the Simpsons to me is that they had a joke based on the 1966 university of Texas shooting only 28 years after it happened. What's next, Stephen Paddock jokes in 2045?

Dr. Video Games 0081 has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Nov 1, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think there was an image of Haley Joel Osment in a movie role that went around where he looked really weird, so people just kind of assumed that's how he looked all the time now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I think there was an image of Haley Joel Osment in a movie role that went around where he looked really weird, so people just kind of assumed that's how he looked all the time now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

this came out two years ago and he looks pretty fuckin weird to me for the few seconds he's in it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

haley joel osment's face is too loving small

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have anything against the guy but he’s a really unpleasant looking adult

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I hear his voice and just think of Kingdom Hearts, which made the Sixth Sense really weird because I watched that after beating the first kingdom hearts because I'm kind of bad at this "pop culture" thing

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Alaois posted:

haley joel osment's face is too loving small

He has an amazing beard, and I think this is why he grew it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

A crazy thing to me about the Simpsons to me is that they had a joke based on the 1966 university of Texas shooting only 28 years after it happened. What's next, Stephen Paddock jokes in 2045?

Kinky Friedman wrote a upbeat song about it less than a decade after it happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlBuoBV-Sa0

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

open24hours posted:

The individual Simpsons episodes have aged well, they just declined in quality over time. The episodes that were good are still good, the episodes that were never good still aren't good.

This. Season 2, episode 1 - 'Bart gets an F' still ranks as the most emotional half hour of television I have ever experienced. But I was a lovely student who did terrible on tests so I could relate.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

TBH I think most people only remember that because it was mentioned in the half of Full Metal Jacket that people actually watched, and in that movie the joke was that nobody knew who he was.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

TBH I think most people only remember that because it was mentioned in the half of Full Metal Jacket that people actually watched, and in that movie the joke was that nobody knew who he was.

I and some one else have said this before in the unpopular opinions thread but second half of FMJ is so much better than the first

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I and some one else have said this before in the unpopular opinions thread but second half of FMJ is so much better than the first

I agree with you, but only one half of that movie seems to get remembered or talked about.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The proper way to divide FMJ is into thirds, not halves.

The moon landing footage has not aged well, the special effects are very unconvincing compared to what we can do now with computers.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Gonna throw my gauntlet in before I forget.

It's interesting watching episodes where everything falls into place, like Duckman's "Gripes of Wrath," really good kinetic running gags and pacing. I wonder how they manage structuring the dialogue and stuff as tight as they do. Like if they intentionally put their best lines in these episodes or if they just happen to hit it out of the park by chance (like Meeseeks and Destroy).

Too bad Duckman ended a season later than it did; it undermines the poo poo out of the more human parts of his character.

An example of a show that didn't age poorly but was a victim of bad timing, prolly the strongest example I know, was Welcome to Eltingville. It's got a perfect grasp on "nerd" humor without pandering or cynicism towards that culture. Its bite comes from its portrayal of disgusting toxic fanboys and how much they suck as people, and that poo poo's still relevant. drat shame adult swim wasn't looking for half hour runners when it came out, but at least there's the comic.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched Duckman all the time and although it's a good show I'm not sure why I did, cause as a kid I hated Jason Alexander and his voice and the show was kind of unpleasant to me. Now I'm an adult and honestly I still kind of hate Jason Alexander and the show is still kind of unpleasant but I guess I'm more at ease with it

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Aesop Poprock posted:

I watched Duckman all the time and although it's a good show I'm not sure why I did, cause as a kid I hated Jason Alexander and his voice and the show was kind of unpleasant to me. Now I'm an adult and honestly I still kind of hate Jason Alexander and the show is still kind of unpleasant but I guess I'm more at ease with it

It's the best use of Klasky-Csupo's grotesque style, which I forget if we already brought that up. It goes a little too gross sometimes but yeah.

It's a prime example of a show you talked up to your friends and when you'd try to show it to them they'd air the worst episode. I won't miss that age of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Was there a bad episode of the Oblongs? I've been streaming random ones I vaguely remember to my one friend who's never seem it and they're all really solid so far, like almost more so than I remembered. It's very tight pacing and perfect delivery