Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
CAPtain COMmando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

"Hello, I am Original Captain Marvel!"

"Hello, I am Shaz- um, whoops, wait... here, let me just write it down for you..."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Marvel is a ton of a better name than being a guy named Shazam who was granted the power by the wizard Shazam to turn into Shazam by shouting Shazam.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've seen a lot of stupid conversations on BSS but this might be the stupidest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I bet if you said "I'd like comics from the REAL Captain Marvel" they'd give you Shazam

I'd dig up copies of the PAD series. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no reason they can't both be Captain Marvel. I don't think people will confuse them when one is a big guy in a cape and the other is a blonde lady. So long as the movies have different names it'll be fine.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's no reason they can't both be Captain Marvel. I don't think people will confuse them when one is a big guy in a cape and the other is a blonde lady. So long as the movies have different names it'll be fine.

I dunno.... I'm pretty confused right now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We survived 2 Quicksilvers.

Marvel's probably just going to call her Carol all the time anyways

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
DC Captain Marvel is by no means actually a captain so they should call him Mr Marvel, and Marvel Captain Marvel is actually a captain so she keeps Captain Marvel. I'm tired of all these non-captain Captain goldbrickers like Captain Planet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rough Lobster posted:

DC Captain Marvel is by no means actually a captain so they should call him Mr Marvel, and Marvel Captain Marvel is actually a captain so she keeps Captain Marvel. I'm tired of all these non-captain Captain goldbrickers like Captain Planet.
Stolen Valor is serious business

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carol Danvers is a Major.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Carol Danvers is a Major.

There was a cute moment in some recent book where Captain America (original non-evil Steve flavour) noted that she technically outranks him in a military sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My God who gives a poo poo?

I was a kid when the TV show was on and also used to read the comics and me and my friends always called the motherfucker Shazam. TV show was called Shazam. When we tied towels around our necks to make capes and pretend superheroes, whoever had the yellow or white one would say "I'm Shazam". I can see DC not even wanting to mention the word "Marvel" too and there's really not any need to even give him a name. MoS I think said "superman" once.

I just hope they can make a good movie out of it because, man, that was one weird comic when I was a kid - talking tigers and genius telepathic worms. Tonally it was really bizarre and I'm curious to see what direction they take with the film.

Hoping for Captain Harvey one day.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap this conversation is still going?

You nerds should just be glad people don't call him the Flash because of the lightning bolt on his chest.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
SHAZAM!

*posts Gomer Pyle gif*

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Re:Thor

I was really disappointed with how they handled Skurge and I definitely agree with everyone who said they really should have toned down the comedy. The parts I appreciated most were the little blink and you'll miss it bits where the characters aren't cracking wise at each other nonstop, like when Thor casually mentions that he thought the world of Loki and Hiddleston does a great job of selling that his character's world was just rocked.

Definitely better than Thor 2 but I think a movie about watching paint dry would have been more entertaining than that sooo yeah. Also sort of my own fault but having Immigrant Song used so much in the trailers lessened its impact for me in the film itself.

On the good side, Cumberbatch's cameo was cool and I did appreciate it being driven home that Thor is Actually Really loving Strong and not just slightly more powerful than Cap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From a few pages back:

purple death ray posted:

Just tell me if he stood alone at Gjallerbru

Sort of. They definitely pay homage to it, but it was always going to be hard to match with a character introduced in this film, especially one that, let's be honest, was never getting as much screen time as Hela or the Grandmaster or Loki, or the Hulk. Urban does what he can with the part and what is there he sells well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chickenwalker posted:

It keeps going because it's a divisive film sure, but also partly because critics with a decent amount of influence who write for film/entertainment blogs that a lot of people read are needlessly toxic. This fuels both sides to bicker. Examples:
https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/924448085534687232
https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/924448363151441920

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 30, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

please stop trying to put this on critics for not liking the movie dude

e: lol also that's not even the conversation they were talking about, man, you came in here with that apropos of nothing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that the writer Gerry Conway in there? What a loving douche.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arist posted:

please stop trying to put this on critics for not liking the movie dude

e: lol also that's not even the conversation they were talking about, man, you came in here with that apropos of nothing

I was just giving another example of why fans tend to draw out these arguments. I have no issues with people not liking Snyder's films. I just find it annoying that it feels like he's not getting fair criticism.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I refuse to believe that Moviebob has any kind of influence anymore. I have no idea who Kayleigh Donaldsod even is, and Lindsay's tweet just look like a joke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The people draw out the arguments seem to mostly be the people that either love the movies simply because it's Batman/Superman/Joker/Harley Quinn and they can thus forgive a lot of poo poo just based on that fact alone or the types that feel the need to push the movies just to crap on other movies in some kind weird corporate loyalty battle of the brand names. I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I can't take anyone seriously that says they liked Suicide Squad for artistic, story, or overall quality reasons. If you're just a fan of Harley Quinn and are hand waving all the problems that's fine I get it, I like the characters I like too. If you say you like it just because it's a DC movie and you don't like those dumb Marvel movies for kids then I don't get you at all and I don't want to. I don't feel that extreme about Batman v Superman, because there's at least a good number of things to like in that film but I just feel they're vastly outweighed by the problems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

teagone posted:

I was just giving another example of why fans tend to draw out these arguments. I have no issues with people not liking Snyder's films. I just find it annoying that it feels like he's not getting fair criticism.

That still had nothing to do with the quote you picked. We were not talking about Snyder at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roth posted:

I refuse to believe that Moviebob has any kind of influence anymore. I have no idea who Kayleigh Donaldsod even is, and Lindsay's tweet just look like a joke.

Donaldson is a writer for Screenrant and SyFy. And yeah, Linday's tweet was a joke. She didn't realize Snyder's mom is dead and acknowledged that at least. Still tasteless to just jokingly tweet that out to her 60k+ followers imo, especially about someone she knows nothing about.

[edit]

MonsterEnvy posted:

That still had nothing to do with the quote you picked. We were not talking about Snyder at all.

No yeah, I realize that now. I thought the goon I was quoting was talking about Gunn's tweets above his post. I just saw the "christ this conversation is still going on?" and thought he was referring to fandom's bickering debates over BvS still going on 2 years later. Honest mistake. :shobon: I didn't realize there was a discussion going on about the Shazam/Captain Marvel thing. :rip: me.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 30, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Edit: just gonna delete this, literally no interest in twitter drama

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 30, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

It keeps going because it's a divisive film sure, but also partly because critics with a decent amount of influence who write for film/entertainment blogs that a lot of people read are needlessly toxic. This fuels both sides to bicker. Examples:
https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/924448085534687232
https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/924448363151441920

Absolutely 100% not what I was talking about at all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The people draw out the arguments seem to mostly be the people that either love the movies simply because it's Batman/Superman/Joker/Harley Quinn and they can thus forgive a lot of poo poo just based on that fact alone or the types that feel the need to push the movies just to crap on other movies in some kind weird corporate loyalty battle of the brand names. I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I can't take anyone seriously that says they liked Suicide Squad for artistic, story, or overall quality reasons. If you're just a fan of Harley Quinn and are hand waving all the problems that's fine I get it, I like the characters I like too. If you say you like it just because it's a DC movie and you don't like those dumb Marvel movies for kids then I don't get you at all and I don't want to. I don't feel that extreme about Batman v Superman, because there's at least a good number of things to like in that film but I just feel they're vastly outweighed by the problems.

I think you meant Oscar winning tour de force, Suicide Squad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Absolutely 100% not what I was talking about at all.

teagone posted:

No yeah, I realize that now. I thought the goon I was quoting was talking about Gunn's tweets above his post. I just saw the "christ this conversation is still going on?" and thought he was referring to fandom's bickering debates over BvS still going on 2 years later. Honest mistake. :shobon: I didn't realize there was a discussion going on about the Shazam/Captain Marvel thing. :rip: me.

[edit]

Soonmot posted:

I think you meant Oscar winning tour de force, Suicide Squad

DCEU Oscars: 1
MCU Oscars: 0

:smuggo:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 31, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

teagone posted:

DCEU Oscars: 1
MCU Oscars: 0

:smuggo:

For Best Makeup. Whoop dee doo.

It's not indicative of the film's overall quality, that's for sure. It's garbage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It's not indicative of the film's overall quality, that's for sure. It's garbage.

tbf they did nail the makeup. croc was killer

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

MacheteZombie posted:

tbf they did nail the makeup. croc was killer

That's true, which is about all I can say about the movie that was well done

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

:thejoke:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chickenwalker posted:

You nerds should just be glad people don't call him the Flash because of the lightning bolt on his chest.

It's going to happen again within 10 pages

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
thank you

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I just hope the Captain Marvel SHAZAM! movie includes Hoppy, the SHAZAM! Bunny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm just excited to see Stinky Diver and Meltman on the big screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's the joke my dude. I'm a fan of DCEU movies, and I even think Suicide Squad is loving trash. [edit] I'd watch Suicide Squad over Thor 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Marvel wanted to get a make-up Oscar of their own, which hero could they depict to do it? Pretty much everyone they’ve done so far is either a regular human or all CG.

• Locked thread