Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes.... which comes full circle to the point I was making about a lot of cars not taking track time real well in stock configuration.

I feel like people getting these issues are advanced drivers but they’re not good enough yet. So they’re overdriving the poo poo out of the car engaging all the systems and getting the shutdowns. You’re either a newbie like me not pushing it enough or good to the point where you are driving it at the limit without engaging the systems. One thing I will say I dislike is the e diff making your brakes work more than necessary. Wish I got the sweet front LSD like the special editions do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's just boosted cars and the fact that heat management is hard. All of GM's performance stuff has hood vents to help vent from the radiator but track duty in hot conditions makes it difficult. When people start modding for more power, hacking duct work to fit a FMIC, etc, good luck keeping it in check. You only get so much airflow through the radiators, and each one down the line is getting hotter airflow through it from the one(s) in front of it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I should have an 03 Focus SVT I just bought showing up tomorrow afternoon from many states away. Haven't had a "fast" car ever, or even a nice car until I bought this.

Friend of mine bought it 10 years ago right before we started college and has completely grown out of it and wanted a good home. I've always liked it (drove from Ohio to Los Angeles in it a couple years ago), so he sold it to me for almost nothing.
80k miles, new clutch/master/etc, new timing belt.

Super pumped to have a lukewarm hatch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome. One of my good buddies just bought his second S/C SVT Focus. They are the cars that got me into hot hatches.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Awesome. One of my good buddies just bought his second S/C SVT Focus. They are the cars that got me into hot hatches.

You pull the trigger on a FiST yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

You pull the trigger on a FiST yet?

I got identity thefted. Sort of. Someone was able to open a card in my name and charged a ton of poo poo in the southeast so I'm still fixing that. But realistically I need to wait til after the wedding so probably spring.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:argh: EQUIFAAAAX :argh:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Rhyno posted:

I think once I do a general refresh/catch up on any maintenance, it's getting a turbo at a nice mild ~5psi. From what I've seen, they make 230+hp without any problem.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

trouser chili posted:

I'm just not getting the CTR. Go read the video description, they had to run the heat full blast to keep the Type-"R" from overheating, but it's got a 500w radio and satnav. I dunno, call it a EX-R, Si-R...something other than Type-R cause that ain't it.

Don't forget just how butt ugly it is.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ormy posted:

Don't forget just how butt ugly it is.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I saw one in person and it wasn't that bad. It was in black, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If they manage to get the stripper model to MSRP at 30k I'll buy one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I'm looking around for a Sport and having a tough time finding anything near that price. I saw one that was dirt cheap on autotrader near DC and they wanted to run my credit before they could even give me a price, to which I told them to gently caress off. Where did you buy yours? I'm in Detroit but would travel for a deal.

Got the local dealers to match one of the crazy deals in VA. I just need to decide if I want to pull the trigger or not. :ohdear:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

Got the local dealers to match one of the crazy deals in VA. I just need to decide if I want to pull the trigger or not. :ohdear:

Do itttt

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
No matter how much I love my Fiesta, if one of the local VW dealers had matched those VA prices I’d probably have a GTI right now if I’m honest.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

26k OTD for a sport is a pretty decent deal. :shepspends:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wallaka posted:

I saw one in person and it wasn't that bad. It was in black, though.

I've seen black and red in person and they look decent, a lot better than pictures. The rear wing and the black panels in back is a bit gauche but the rest comes together fairly well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

26k OTD for a sport is a pretty decent deal. :shepspends:

Picking it up on Thursday. :toot: Pretty pumped. It's a 17 GTI, Pure White Sport w/DSG. Only plan for it is tint and a hitch for a bike. Have to find some winter wheels and tires pretty quick.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Yesterday marked 4 months with the GTI. Just hit 3000 miles the day before. Loving it so far.

My only minor quibble is manual shifting the DSG with the shift stick is backwards to me. My intuition is to pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift, but the GTI is forward upshift, back downshift. A friend of mine had a Porsche 968 with a tiptronic that was the same way.

It's not a feature I use all that much as I find just putting it in Sport mode does the trick when I need to get around someone, so not a big deal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WescottF1 posted:

Yesterday marked 4 months with the GTI. Just hit 3000 miles the day before. Loving it so far.

My only minor quibble is manual shifting the DSG with the shift stick is backwards to me. My intuition is to pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift, but the GTI is forward upshift, back downshift. A friend of mine had a Porsche 968 with a tiptronic that was the same way.

It's not a feature I use all that much as I find just putting it in Sport mode does the trick when I need to get around someone, so not a big deal.

Does it not have paddle shifters?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does it not have paddle shifters?

Yes - they are set up like one would expect - pull the right to upshift/left to downshift.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I only use the paddle shifters, never use the shifter. I'm at 6100 miles after just 4 months.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you folks drive a lot more than me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my commute went from 23-24miles/day to 50-53 miles a day :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah mine is like 24 round trip, still havent cracked 3k yet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Put the winter tires back on since we're currently dipping below 40 on the reg now and it's threatening to snow and strand me with summer tires on somewhere.

Glad I went with the Sottozeros instead of a pure kinda "utility" winter/snow tire. Kinda played with the idea of going with an all-season for the winter but having more confidence on our lovely sometimes-unplowed country roads out here is just too much of a benefit to trade for better treadwear/handling in the dry.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
COBB finally released the AP for the mk 7 GTI and R. I'm pretty excited for the ProTuning support on this along with a couple companies releasing port injection kits.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/volkswagen-mk7-golf-r-accessport-and-stage-1-stage-1-and-stage-2-power-packages/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Picking it up on Thursday. :toot: Pretty pumped. It's a 17 GTI, Pure White Sport w/DSG. Only plan for it is tint and a hitch for a bike. Have to find some winter wheels and tires pretty quick.

I used the Curt hitch to pull a trailer with mine. Super easy to install or remove, but it does hang down below and it's possible for the exhaust to rattle on it if you've got an aftermarket downpipe that doesn't constrain the exhaust as tightly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Time to buy winter wheels and tires for the RS. :sigh:

Any recommendations on wheels?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I used the Curt hitch to pull a trailer with mine. Super easy to install or remove, but it does hang down below and it's possible for the exhaust to rattle on it if you've got an aftermarket downpipe that doesn't constrain the exhaust as tightly.

That's the one I'm planning to go with. Looks decent and is cheap. Don't have to pull the bumper or cut it either.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KillHour posted:

Will cheaper focus 17-18" wheels fit over your front brakes? If so, thats where I would look first. I bet you could get some base model or titanium model focus wheels for like 2-300 a set at a yard.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

I picked up a set of 18" ST wheels with TPMS for $400 on craigslist. Getting some blizzaks put on them this week.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Find yourself a set of 17's someone took off a TDI. They should be relatively cheap and the tires will be cheaper than 18's as well. Clearance is tight but they definitely fit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

That's the one I'm planning to go with. Looks decent and is cheap. Don't have to pull the bumper or cut it either.

Yep.

There are two bikes on here, I averaged 26mpg across 2200mi on one trip, which included passing over the Sierra Nevadas

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Find yourself a set of 17's someone took off a TDI. They should be relatively cheap and the tires will be cheaper than 18's as well. Clearance is tight but they definitely fit.

Finding used vw wheels in 17s in Detroit ain't easy.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep.

There are two bikes on here, I averaged 26mpg across 2200mi on one trip, which included passing over the Sierra Nevadas

That's pretty ridiculous.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Hahahaha, I love Ford so much right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SHQw8G5SE

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This is cool as heck
Isn't Ford being run by engineers right now? Is that a thing people say?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah. other than killing off the fist thing they really seem to be having some fun making a few differing tiers of price pointed driving cars.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I love that they called it the drift stick. No mincing of words there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Will cheaper focus 17-18" wheels fit over your front brakes? If so, thats where I would look first. I bet you could get some base model or titanium model focus wheels for like 2-300 a set at a yard.

Ended up just going to Tire Rack and getting a set because :effort:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM001
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ckageFlow=false

Hopefully I made good choices. I'm reading mixed reviews about the LM001's. :ohdear: