Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bob Morales posted:

You’re ruined and now can’t ever go back

Well, it took a week. :(

It looks like there isn't a high-resolution option for my 2012 Mini, so that blows. I'm moving it out into the music studio and will really be just using it with Logic going forward, but even Logic looks gorgeous in retina...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

My unexpected shutdown problem persists through a fresh high sierra reinstallation.
Previous shutdown cause: -128 (unknown shutdown cause)

Oddly enough I can't reproduce it in Windows 10. Ran UEFI memtest86 for 12 hours, no errors.
Is it possible to run an extended apple diagnostics loop with these newer machines? If I bring it in for service they'll just want to replace the logicboard for $$$.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

eames posted:

My unexpected shutdown problem persists through a fresh high sierra reinstallation.
Previous shutdown cause: -128 (unknown shutdown cause)

Oddly enough I can't reproduce it in Windows 10. Ran UEFI memtest86 for 12 hours, no errors.
Is it possible to run an extended apple diagnostics loop with these newer machines? If I bring it in for service they'll just want to replace the logicboard for $$$.

Ask them to triage it. You’re going to need to be able to replicate or else it’s a waste of time. Or ask for Capture Data from AppleCare. Then next time it happens you run it and send them the logs.

Easy peasy

Edit: by the way - most likely video card or just MLB in general. Or liquid. It’s always liquid.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 1, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hoping this is the right thread but hopefully easy question;

My work has tasked me with getting the marketing department a MacBook Pro to use for InDesign/ Photoshop work. Is the basic level 13” MacBook Pro good enough for that? And the only difference between the first two models is the SSD size right?

Also, probably another stupid question but can a iMac and a MacBook talk to each other relatively easy like using AirPlay?

Thanks for help all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hoping this is the right thread but hopefully easy question;

My work has tasked me with getting the marketing department a MacBook Pro to use for InDesign/ Photoshop work. Is the basic level 13” MacBook Pro good enough for that? And the only difference between the first two models is the SSD size right?

Also, probably another stupid question but can a iMac and a MacBook talk to each other relatively easy like using AirPlay?

Thanks for help all

Dunno about the first but yeah, AirPlay should work fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What does “talk to each other” mean in this context? You need third party software if you want one to act as an AirPlay receiver.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just like easy to move files between etc. can you do remote connections easy? i saw teamviewer works also so not a huge deal if not

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Just like easy to move files between etc. can you do remote connections easy? i saw teamviewer works also so not a huge deal if not

If your computers share the same network it shouldn’t be much of a problem to move files between them, independent of their OS. Macs with Bluetooth also have stuff like Airdrop but I don’t know that Airdrop is really a “workplace solution” that can handle lots of different people signing in.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Empress Brosephine does your workplace not have an IT department?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the helpful all. Our IT department refuses to work with Macs so I kind of inherited this problem lol

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

get them to buy you one, because you need to test, obvs

i work in a MS shop, they spent over 3k CAD on my Surface Book, i would be a lot happier if they bought me a rMBP ;o

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thanks for the helpful all. Our IT department refuses to work with Macs so I kind of inherited this problem lol

Nerve Staple the drones until they get the message that you do as told not as want.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

That sucks and your IT Department is a bunch of jerks.

If they're going to be working with Adobe programs, get the teams version and you'll get cloud storage for the team. Probably your best bet for collaboration.

Your other option is something like a 2 disk Synology NAS, maybe ask them if that's ok to use for the department and if they'll set it up for you.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 3, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I’m making them set up a NAS so we’ll have that at least and a convo of Dropbox etc

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also maybe you guys can help me with a simple Mac problem on another computer; when you hit the icon menu for WiFi on a existing MacBook, it constantly shows looking for WiFi, is there anyway to stop it from doing that? Or is that a function of hitting that icon? Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What dual monitor setups do people have for their MBPs? Both of them connected via HDMI-to-Thunderbolt? It would be one of the newer MBPs.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
My wife needs a new OSX laptop for working on science stuff. She uses large uncompressed images from some special lab scanner, Adobbe Illustrator for designing diagrams for her papers, small-medium sized databases and analysis via R and her keynote presentation are usually 1GB+ in size.
We are currently looking at 16GB RAM and 512GB HDD on a 2017 macbook pro, but I'm not sure which processor to go for or how hardware intensive her work really is. Any pointers?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What does she use right now?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mu Zeta posted:

What does she use right now?

A mid 2013 Air which is clearly struggling with loading large image sizes and the calculations in R. It's really hard for me to judge if it's just a RAM size issue or how processing power dependent the stuff she uses is. She's also quite used to stuff taking ages to load so her perception is quite skewed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sounds like a pretty typical scientific / numerical computation workload

the 15 inch rMBP will be fine. 16gb RAM / 512 storage is the sweet spot with these machines. there really doesn't exist a more powerful portable mac unless you hackintosh, so there's nowhere to go from there

i mean the iMac Pro that is coming out will crush multithreaded workloads, but also doesn't fit in your bag

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

and don't bother with the BTO option for a faster base clock on the chip

IMO it's a total waste of money, rMBP is limited by thermals, putting a slightly hotter chip in isn't going to do anything. it's 300 or 400 bucks for a slight boost in base clock. dumb.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Thanks for the input!
I guess the 13" is not really a good option because they are all dualcore right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you considered the 2016 model

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1293727-REG/apple_mlh42ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

It's $2100 for the 15" with 512 ssd and 16gig RAM

Also if she's coming from a Macbook Air, she's going to hate the new keyboard. I know I did.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 4, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

13 inch is a good option for a lot of people, but it's not what i would recommend for a multithreaded numerical computation workload

it will be fine if she's currently using an Air .... but you get a lot more headroom with the 15. IMO it's your best option, if you don't want to compromise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the best solution of course is for her department to buy her a dual-CPU xeon machine with 200gb of RAM that lives on a gigabit network somewhere

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Pivo posted:

the best solution of course is for her department to buy her a dual-CPU xeon machine with 200gb of RAM that lives on a gigabit network somewhere

Haha yeah, that would be the best solution. Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make her consider a 15" due to portability, but at least I can give her solid advice now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mu Zeta posted:

Also if she's coming from a Macbook Air, she's going to hate the new keyboard. I know I did.

these days do you post in this thread mainly to find opportunities to poo poo on the new keyboards and imply that your allergic reaction to them is the only one people can possibly have? It sure seems like it, and it's kinda silly tbqh

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I haven't tried the new keyboard but I was kind of taken aback by peoples' stories about how easily the keys can break due to dust getting in.

As a rule I never buy first gen apple products. Though, in the case of the 15" original RMBP – which I did buy – when it had a screen flickering problem Apple agreed to give me a replacement with a discrete GPU. At the time apple was phasing out discrete GPU's from the RMBP line and the only one that had one was the balls-to-the-wall fully specced out model.

Basically I bought a laptop for €1500, it broke two and a half years later, and I received a laptop worth €2700 new at no cost. That level of customer service is why I'll always stick with them. Also I didn't have Applecare because European mandatory warranties are sick.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pivo posted:

It's actually quite feasible to buy a dual 8-core Sandy Bridge system with 128GB of memory for less than the new MBP would cost, if you're not averse to refurb parts.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 5, 2017

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I prefer the new keyboard now it’s really nice. Been using it for like three months now and I haven’t had any issues with the keys.

The left fan on this MacBook Pro is making a small rattling noise. How often do you guys have to clean the fans? Was going to open the thing up tomorrow and see if it’s just dust or what.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm searching for an easy solution to a 2-monitor+MBP setup. I remember having to plug both my monitors in through Thunderbolt last time I had a 2-monitor setup, is there anything more efficient these days? Is getting a dock worth it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you have a new MBP? Just get two video adapters gently caress a dock

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Do you have a new MBP? Just get two video adapters gently caress a dock

If it's not a 15" or 13-inch TouchBar, then he has no place to plug in a power adapter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

If it's not a 15" or 13-inch TouchBar, then he has no place to plug in a power adapter.

Use the Apple USB-C to HDMI adapter, you can also use a charger with that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also maybe you guys can help me with a simple Mac problem on another computer; when you hit the icon menu for WiFi on a existing MacBook, it constantly shows looking for WiFi, is there anyway to stop it from doing that? Or is that a function of hitting that icon? Thanks!

It's a function of hitting the icon. It's searching for all available wifi APs to give you a list.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm searching for an easy solution to a 2-monitor+MBP setup. I remember having to plug both my monitors in through Thunderbolt last time I had a 2-monitor setup, is there anything more efficient these days? Is getting a dock worth it?

Which resolution do the monitors have? There is an adapter that lets you hook up 2 hdmi monitors to one thunderbolt port but I think the max res output is 1920x1080 each.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

just get the dock

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you guys confirm that the 2016 MBP is perfectly fine and there's no reason to spend an extra $500 to get the latest 2017 model? It looks like I'll miss out on 10-bit H.265 hardware encoding and 4K HDR playback, and maybe a bit more of an already great battery lofe? Big whoop I guess?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think they also improved the keyboard a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
the keyboard, mainly.