Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

Ok cool, great idea. Lets throw him in jail then. Whilst we are at it I think theres a huge potential for our prison system if we just tack on mandatory sentencing to a bunch of relatively minor crimes. With a little thought we can outshine the americans in stupidity in this situation. I too enjoy awaiting a future wave of literally government created criminals.

Mandatory sentencing is bad though, and not what was suggested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nutsngum posted:

What he did was wrong and stupid but come the gently caress on.

What he did was sexual harassment. If it's serious enough (and let's be clear, half of Australia has seen that poor girls tits because of what he did) you should go to jail for it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Carlton yet again rewarded for being poo poo with a bunch of Friday night games surprising absolutely no one

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Holy poo poo the Saints have 5 Friday night games, 6 Saturday night games and only 2 Sunday twilight games (out of 3 Sunday games in total).

Edit: Make that only 4 Friday games cause I forgot that the round 23 games haven't been sorted yet.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Holy poo poo the Saints have 5 Friday night games, 6 Saturday night games and only 2 Sunday twilight games (out of 3 Sunday games in total).

Actually madder about this because at least with Carlton you could argue the AFL were going based on potential supporter base.

Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda each have more Friday nights than Melbourne, GWS, Port or West Coast, and yet no doubt the AFL will continue claim that if you want a more watchable fixture you should play better footy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Actually madder about this because at least with Carlton you could argue the AFL were going based on potential supporter base.

Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda each have more Friday nights than Melbourne, GWS, Port or West Coast, and yet no doubt the AFL will continue claim that if you want a more watchable fixture you should play better footy.

I think a lot of it is possibly as payback for the Saints having so many Sunday twilight games in the last few years, but I'd assume the Dees had a decent number of those as well? I don't know.

The 4 teams (see my edit in the above post) the Saints play on Friday night are: North (replacing the Dogs in the Good Friday game), Carlton, Tigers and Bombers. So at the very least the Saints inclusion in those slots is balanced by the fact that we'll be playing 3 of the big four clubs.

I'm not gonna get into a debate about if the Saints play watchable footy cause that's a big can of worms that wont go anywhere.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The punters have spoken, and what they've said is that they want more Carlton games with soccer scorelines in prime time

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows fixture looks pretty good, too. Six Friday night games, another two Thursday night games which we seem to be keen on owning, ten Saturday games (7 night, 3 twilight), and only four Sunday games.

We double up against Richmond, Port, Melbourne, GWS and Carlton.

Most importantly we've managed to avoid the "worst game of the year" Demons at the MCG fixture despite playing them twice in 2018!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Crows fixture looks pretty good, too. Six Friday night games, another two Thursday night games which we seem to be keen on owning, ten Saturday games (7 night, 3 twilight), and only four Sunday games.

We double up against Richmond, Port, Melbourne, GWS and Carlton.

Most importantly we've managed to avoid the "worst game of the year" Demons at the MCG fixture despite playing them twice in 2018!

I think youll find worst game of the year is Brisbane v Melbourne in Victoria tyvm.

At least they did the sane thing of reversing the Anzac eve/day fixtures the following week this time.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/nick_bowen/status/925183822710190080

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

And nothing of value was lost

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The player GWS drafted with pick 7 (Paul Ahern) has done two ACLs since being drafted and was traded to North for pick 69 in 2016.

A good trade for all involved!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

The player GWS drafted with pick 7 (Paul Ahern) has done two ACLs since being drafted and was traded to North for pick 69 in 2016.

A good trade for all involved!

Are we supposed to still be intimidated by GWS? They've gotten even shallower this year and their original players are almost available for free agency.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The player taken at pick 8 was Peter Wright

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Periphery posted:

loving hell, poor bastard

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

loving hell, poor bastard

I know, playing for North has to suck.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
With those three gone surely our list turnover since the rebuild (Bolton and SOS onboard) is pushing 50 players now.

Edit: 56 apparently. 64 players in 5 seasons.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 31, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Looks like North are finally about to get their big fish with Alex Morgan (who, you ask) being delisted so he can sign with them as a DFA. He'd been offered a 1 year deal but presumably the club wasn't fussed with him leaving for a better offer because he was delisted to make it easier to cross over rather than needing to be drafted.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Crows delisted Cameron Ellis-Yolmen and offered to rookie him if no one else picks him up first. I think he's another state league level player, but some Adelaide fans still think he would have been the next big thing but got crushed by assistant coaches playing favourites.

We've also committed to taking Jackson Edwards as a f/s in the rookie draft, but since there's a few more days before you have to declare whether your f/s nominations are going to be national or rookie draft, it might still be an ambit claim to shake potential bidders loose.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like North are finally about to get their big fish with Alex Morgan (who, you ask) being delisted so he can sign with them as a DFA. He'd been offered a 1 year deal but presumably the club wasn't fussed with him leaving for a better offer because he was delisted to make it easier to cross over rather than needing to be drafted.

I know who Morgan is! He's the guy the Dons took with a pick they got in the Carlisle trade.

The trade that now looks like this:

Francis (played 5 games total and requested a trade to SA this year with no takers), Bird (delisted) and Morgan (delisted).
for
Carlisle (22 games this year and 4th in the B&F) and Gresham (has played 40 games total and is a future superstar).

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

gay picnic defence posted:

What he did was sexual harassment. If it's serious enough (and let's be clear, half of Australia has seen that poor girls tits because of what he did) you should go to jail for it.

It was not a malicious intent to discredit nor shame her. I definitely think he should be punished under criminal law but jail time is not the answer here, unless you honestly somehow think sending someone to jail, destroying their ability to work. gain employment and expose them to serious criminals is somehow justice or good for society in any way. Jailing people is something we should avoid at all costs, not embrace as some sort of vengeance.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

I know who Morgan is! He's the guy the Dons took with a pick they got in the Carlisle trade.

The trade that now looks like this:

Francis (played 5 games total and requested a trade to SA this year with no takers), Bird (delisted) and Morgan (delisted).
for
Carlisle (22 games this year and 4th in the B&F) and Gresham (has played 40 games total and is a future superstar).

Don't forget Carlisle also played a vital role in mark of the year!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Jake "Step Ladder" Carlisle

(reminder that Andrew Walker was robbed)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

thepokey posted:

Don't forget Carlisle also played a vital role in mark of the year!

boy undead posted:

Jake "Step Ladder" Carlisle

(reminder that Andrew Walker was robbed)

I find it hard to believe that its purely a coincidence that Carlisle has been involved in two of the most contentious mark of the year decisions in recent history.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nutsngum posted:

It was not a malicious intent to discredit nor shame her. I definitely think he should be punished under criminal law but jail time is not the answer here, unless you honestly somehow think sending someone to jail, destroying their ability to work. gain employment and expose them to serious criminals is somehow justice or good for society in any way. Jailing people is something we should avoid at all costs, not embrace as some sort of vengeance.

Hmmm well there's not a huge amount of precedent for a young man betraying the trust of a woman with whom he's intimate but there's a little bit.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-09/adfa-cadet-sacked-over-skype-sex-scandal/5080834

Thoughts? Fair comparison or not?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The Crows delisted Cameron Ellis-Yolmen and offered to rookie him if no one else picks him up first. I think he's another state league level player, but some Adelaide fans still think he would have been the next big thing but got crushed by assistant coaches playing favourites.

We've also committed to taking Jackson Edwards as a f/s in the rookie draft, but since there's a few more days before you have to declare whether your f/s nominations are going to be national or rookie draft, it might still be an ambit claim to shake potential bidders loose.

CEY is an AFL-caliber player but only just. Realistically he's probably a poor mans Jarryd Lyons or Sam Kerridge and we were happy to let both of them go. Question marks over whether he'll still be any good after his reco, too, was already pretty slow beforehand. Rookie list sounds about right. Still, could be handy depth if we get some injuries in our midfield next year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also EDDIEBETTS and his wife are expecting twins in April, gonna be Betts kids all over the clubrooms

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

NTRabbit posted:

Also EDDIEBETTS and his wife are expecting twins in April, gonna be Betts kids all over the clubrooms

Imagine two EDDIEBETTS in one forward line

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Bulldogs are re-drafting Roarke Smith as a rookie following his delistment from our rookie list yesterday. The kid has had zero luck injury wise (two successive ACLs) but he's looked like a real talent in the VFL, like a smaller version of Easton Wood.

So Bulldogs will end up chasing a mature or state-league player with pick 82. I'd like us to take Billy Gowers since he had a pretty drat good year for Footscray and he's at least a reasonable replacement for Stringer or Crameri since he's fairly solidly built and will at least tackle and apply pressure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Imagine two EDDIEBETTS in one forward line

He's already got two, so I'm picturing a 4 EDDIEBETTS forward line 20 years from now.

Or if they're twin girls, that's a 2 EDDIEBETTS forward line per team!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

He's already got two, so I'm picturing a 4 EDDIEBETTS forward line 20 years from now.

Or if they're twin girls, that's a 2 EDDIEBETTS forward line per team!

Dual Sarah Perkins Medal winners guaranteed!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Most Adelaide supporters would have a good idea how damaging a mosquito fleet can be

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Not gonna quote the whole thing cause the ABC deserves your clicks:

quote:

Two number one AFL draft picks.

Eight grand finals, four premierships, and 641 senior games between them.

Throughout their careers, St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt and Hawthorn star Luke Hodge let their stats do the talking.

But after years at the top, both veterans agree the pressures of playing on Australian sport's biggest stage need to be tackled at an early age.

[Riewoldt] "I received letters in the mailbox that had my face scanned onto a page with a bullseye or crosshairs over the top, and threatening words pasted together with individual letters that had been cut out of magazines..."

[Hodge] "I struggled early. On the footy field I knew what I could do, but it was off the field I really struggled..."

Who the gently caress gets so worked up over footy that they make a death threat to a player, let alone making it into a cut and paste crafting exercise? :psyduck:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Periphery posted:

Who the gently caress gets so worked up over footy that they make a death threat to a player, let alone making it into a cut and paste crafting exercise? :psyduck:

Play for a different team, will he? *Angrily grabs box of macaroni elbows from pantry*

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

The same people who want to get out and do physical harm to others in traffic because they were beeped at or something I assume. Whatever their issues are would go well beyond footy.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm working on a theory of why people are like this, but the short answer is it's because of capitalism

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I always thought it was because they had nothing else going on in their lives. As in they latch on to a tribe, (footy team in this case), and make it the most important part of their self-identity, because they have nothing else to identify with/as.

Then when a member of said tribe "betrays" the tribe, it is not just a footy player doing something "bad". It is a betrayal of self, a personal terrible injury that cuts them to the core of who they think they are.

Its the same with "enemies" if the tribe. They are not just people who barrack for a different footy club, or have a different opinion on an issue, they are "the enemy" to be destroyed and villified and attacked mercilessly, for to allow them to exist is a threat to one's own sense of self.

Basically loser nutters taking a game too seriously/personally.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

AFL.com is still real bad at reporting news. We cut Roarke Smith on Mondy from our rookie list and the story was "BULLDOGS CUT FORMER PICK 5 ROARKE SMITH" when he was pick 5 in a rookie draft. Well they changed the story on it

Yes, our mighty 182cm key position player.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

AFL.com is still real bad at reporting news. We cut Roarke Smith on Mondy from our rookie list and the story was "BULLDOGS CUT FORMER PICK 5 ROARKE SMITH" when he was pick 5 in a rookie draft. Well they changed the story on it

Yes, our mighty 182cm key position player.

The Dogs key position stocks aren't known for their depth so they probably probably figured that it's plausible that the Dogs would be using a one-legged 182cm player as a key defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always thought it was because they had nothing else going on in their lives. As in they latch on to a tribe, (footy team in this case), and make it the most important part of their self-identity, because they have nothing else to identify with/as.

Then when a member of said tribe "betrays" the tribe, it is not just a footy player doing something "bad". It is a betrayal of self, a personal terrible injury that cuts them to the core of who they think they are.

Its the same with "enemies" if the tribe. They are not just people who barrack for a different footy club, or have a different opinion on an issue, they are "the enemy" to be destroyed and villified and attacked mercilessly, for to allow them to exist is a threat to one's own sense of self.

Basically loser nutters taking a game too seriously/personally.
Huh. I love footy and the club but I definitely don't go batshit crazy over it and keep it mostly as a weekend thing. At the same doing my stats nonsense means I have to pay more attention to what every other club is doing as well and basically being objective.

Even when the club trades a player. Look, it's theatre, it's not loving life-and-death.

• Locked thread