Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

And even though it sucks relatively deservedly so? Their loss looks better in retrospect, they have a couple of pretty good wins and a chance to pick up a couple more.

Obvs Deacs Bitch next week though.

Yea, their schedule is no joke. If they end up being two points away from going undefeated with that schedule they deserve to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The impetus won't be on proving ND doesn't belong, that argument will be dead in the water if they're 11-1 even if Bama beats UGA. What teams have to do is make a case against the loser of the SECCG, assuming that game isn't a blowout because even this being the first week it seems like that's exactly where we'll be at by the end.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
#12 is about what I expected for Washington, given that we have to win out and get help (and hope USC wins the South, which is far from a given with that clusterfuck of a division).

At the moment, our best win is ... *checks notes* ... Fresno State?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Teams by Conference:

code:
p12 - 5
sec - 5

acc - 4
b10 - 4
b12 - 4

aac - 2

ind - 1
Top 10 Teams by Conference

code:
b10 - 3

acc - 2
b12 - 2
sec - 2

ind - 1
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same.

(Pac12's getting left out this year unless insanity happens)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
This is the big 12's fault for not letting us in.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PSU, OSU, and Wisconsin all win out. Wisconsin upsets OSU in the title game. Does the committee keep PSU above Wisconsin? :thunk:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dango Bango posted:

PSU, OSU, and Wisconsin all win out. Wisconsin upsets OSU in the title game. Does the committee keep PSU above Wisconsin? :thunk:

No undefeated P5 team is going to be left out unless each P5 conference has an undefeated team.

Like I said, as it stands now this is all about arguing how the 4th team deserves it over the loser of the SECCG.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When its all said and done, Wisconsin's best non-championship win may very well be the FAU Fighting Lane Kiffins

Bedlam, Clemson-NCSt, PSU-Sparty should all serve as eliminators next week, so

A: Sparty isn't winning.

B: No, that's it. We are going 8-4.

Nice to see us ranked once.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

No.

The week to week rankings don't matter. They start over every week. It's the one good thing about the committee.

Literally the only reasons they bother releasing the rankings more than once is because they like getting people to argue about it and it fills time on ESPN.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Benne posted:

#12 is about what I expected for Washington, given that we have to win out and get help (and hope USC wins the South, which is far from a given with that clusterfuck of a division).

At the moment, our best win is ... *checks notes* ... Fresno State?

Yeah after this I'm shifting my goals to enjoying Vea and Pettis making awesome plays, a fun Apple Cup I'm flying up from LA to see live, and hoping for a Pac 12 title.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's been said already but if the SECCG is a matchup of undefeateds and it ends up a close game I don't see how you keep the loser out of the playoff. Whoever loses that game (assuming they're undefeated otherwise) has a strong case against anybody else in the country.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's been said already but if the SECCG is a matchup of undefeateds and it ends up a close game I don't see how you keep the loser out of the playoff. Whoever loses that game (assuming they're undefeated otherwise) has a strong case against anybody else in the country.

just like the should have cancelled the 2012 season BCS championship game and just called Alabama 1 and UGA 2.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
MACtion is pretty entertaining so far

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Roargasm posted:

Condy Rice was on the CFP selection committee? What the gently caress

Yup, she's been on it every year until this year. She's a big college football fan.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

SECCG loser Bama will have a beatable schedule for many other 1 loss teams. I think they'd bank more from their rep than their schedule this year, which is really bad.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

A 1 loss loser of the SECCG is not going to get in over a 1 loss P5 champion. Maybe if everyone else is two loss, but no way they leave out a 1 loss champion.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Quandary posted:

A 1 loss loser of the SECCG is not going to get in over a 1 loss P5 champion. Maybe if everyone else is two loss, but no way they leave out a 1 loss champion.

UGA stands a better chance than Bama in this scenario. That win over ND might be the best win in the country before CCG week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bama's best win that scenario would be, like, LSU or Aurburn, who are fine but probably likely to wind up in the late teens/early 20s range. They'd still most likely be one of the four best teams, but if you're going by resume it'd be a really tough case. Georgia might still have a pretty good argument though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

One of Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma is getting left out of ND wins out. Assuming all three win out I can see arguments for leaving any of them out. Personally I’d leave Clemson out, but I think the committee would probably dump Oklahoma instead.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

ah, SEC SPEED. hello again, old friend

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

MourningView posted:

No.

The week to week rankings don't matter. They start over every week. It's the one good thing about the committee.

Literally the only reasons they bother releasing the rankings more than once is because they like getting people to argue about it and it fills time on the Somethingawful.com forums in place of BBQ chat.

fixed.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

ah, SEC SPEED. hello again, old friend

It doen't really have anything to do with the SEC. If Georgia loses they go in because their one loss was to Alabama and they had the best win out of anybody. If Alabama loses they get in because they're Alabama and could lose to most baseball teams and my high school marching band and still get first place votes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It doen't really have anything to do with the SEC. If Georgia loses they go in because their one loss was to Alabama and they had the best win out of anybody. If Alabama loses they get in because they're Alabama and could lose to most baseball teams and my high school marching band and still get first place votes.

that Bama case does not seem very strong at all!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

that Bama case does not seem very strong at all!

The committee will put Alabama in because they're Alabama is basically all I'm saying. I mean that's subjective but I don't trust the committee to punish Bama for anything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

One of Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma is getting left out of ND wins out. Assuming all three win out I can see arguments for leaving any of them out. Personally I’d leave Clemson out, but I think the committee would probably dump Oklahoma instead.

Agreed. The loss is really bad and while yes, the loss to Pitt last year wasn't great either this year's Clemson is a clear step back from last year. They have great wins and play well but something about them is just off and it almost feels like they just haven't been exposed yet by playing against someone crazy good like UGA.

That said, I think the committee would drool over a rubber match with Bama and might even make that the round one game if they felt either team incapable of winning to set up the rubber match in the finals so I'm fairly certain Clemson is in if they win out.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just announced today Kam Pettway broke his collarbone a week ago against Arkansas, which had been his best game after being varying degrees of injured all year. Sounds like he's out for good. Really a shame, he was the SEC leading rusher in 2016 and never got it started this year. If not for that news I would be trying to convince myself to work up a "BARN GON RUN THE TABLE FIRST TWO LOSS PLAYOFF TEAM ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED PAWL" post for this conversation.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
One of my favorite things about college football are videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei3CKm_PCwY where it's random college fans rooting for teams across the country to win or lose and I'm happy that the playoff allows for so many more instances of these to occur.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's not going to happen because northwestern can't keep winning games like this and they're due to get owned by a slightly shitter Big Ten West team, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that they could win out @NEB MIN PUR (NIGHT GAME!) @HAT

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if Notre Dame wins out they're in even if Georgia loses by a million to Alabama.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

Bama's best win that scenario would be, like, LSU or Aurburn, who are fine but probably likely to wind up in the late teens/early 20s range. They'd still most likely be one of the four best teams, but if you're going by resume it'd be a really tough case. Georgia might still have a pretty good argument though.
Yeah. I think UGA would have a chance in that scenario if they lost a close one to Bama for their only loss. But Bama's schedule is way too weak if they lose to UGA to stay ahead of a 1 loss Clemson/OU/OSU/ND.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Committee has already stated that they think OU is the better team with their current resumes. If OU wins out they add wins @Ok State (11), TCU(8), @Kansas (dogshit), WVU (unranked but decent) and one of ISU(15)/OSU/TCU in the CCG. Ohio State would add wins @Iowa (unranked, OK I guess) Sparty(24), Illinois (dogshit), Michigan (unranked WVUish in quality), and Wisconsin (9). I don't see Ohio State being ranked ahead of OU if they both win out unless Mayfield gets hurt or something.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 1, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah. I think UGA would have a chance in that scenario if they lost a close one to Bama for their only loss. But Bama's schedule is way too weak if they lose to UGA to stay ahead of a 1 loss Clemson/OU/OSU/ND.

I agree with this, but haven’t seen any indication that the playoff committee agrees with this, and they’re the only ones that matter.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/ClemsonFB/videos/1590722060949448/

That's the President of the University

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

UGA stands a better chance than Bama in this scenario. That win over ND might be the best win in the country before CCG week.

... Ahem.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo BG isn't losing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

Thoguh posted:

... Ahem.

I'm also going to add in OSU's win over PSU (:barf:)

So, ISU's two, then OSU's, then UGA's.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If all three win out Ohio States only loss is to a top 6 team at that point, they won’t get left out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh lordy we're going to beat the everloving dogpiss out of LSU now. I hope they move us to 4 before the Auburn game; that'd be the best.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

If all three win out Ohio States only loss is to a top 6 team at that point, they won’t get left out.

I don't think y'all have been paying attention. The committee favors who you beat over who your losses are too. One can argue the merits of that, but "our loss is better than yours" isn't a life preserver that will keep one afloat all other things held equal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

So your argument is to put OSU in because they have a good loss against Oklahoma but not to put Oklahoma in despite having a convincing win over OSU? If you get in it’s because of ratings.

Warbird posted:

Oh lordy we're going to beat the everloving dogpiss out of LSU now. I hope they move us to 4 before the Auburn game; that'd be the best.

Yea, this is definitely the reason that’s going to happen, and not because LSU is so bad they lost to Troy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I hope Bama and Georgia both make the playoffs just so I can see Georgia lose twice

• Locked thread