Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

so how much mithril is good to save for ffta and ff9, like 300?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

rabidsquid posted:

All at the fickle whims of the gacha gods. Might be a dollar pull, or a thousand mythril.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

All this renewal mythril is spoiling people. You hit severe diminishing returns if you drop more Than 100 mythril on one banner. People say it here all the time, don't chase relics. Pull once or twice on a group of relics you like. The sour feeling of walking away from a relics you want is part of life unless you are willing to open your wallet big time.

For new people I would actually recommend spreading 100 mythril out over a banner from every realm you don't have synergy for. Relm coverage is what a lot of vets got out of this mythril in the past. You will get some prize relics from some banners and crud from others. Most of the great stuff comes back.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I only ever pull once on a banner

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i decided to pull on type 0 and got two 5* spears for nine, was hoping for ace stuff oh well. i really want to pull on fft since i have no relics from it and love the game but i know the actually good banner is coming soon aaaaa waiting stinks

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Did you guys finish the BRA BRA event? The last two stages have a pretty ridiculous stamina cost for what looks like crappy rewards. Is that accessory any good?

My issue is I have a lot of non-mythril stage renewal events to clear and limited stamina to do it. I don't think I'll be spending much more mythril on refreshes, but their rewards in general are way better than the BRA levels. I have to decide if I'm going to let that 130 stamina go towards an OCD compulsion to finish all current events or not.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
The accessory is unusable garbage (+5 all stats).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

rabidsquid posted:

Alright, so, here's the big secret about the FFTA-1 banner: there are, in my opinion, five items on it that are "big" for the current and upcoming meta, namely Ramza USB, BSB2 and LMR and Marche USB and LMR. And of these five, four (Ramza BSB2, Ramza LMR, Marche USB and Marche LMR) all showed up together, all four of them, twice more, once on the Alma-1 banner, better known as the home of Orlandeau's USB and LMR, and once on the first banner for the 3rd Anniversary celebrations in JP. At the very least, we'll get all four of these items showing up together on the Alma banner for sure. The anniversary banner is a less safe bet but evidently, where Ramza BSB2 and Marche USB go, their LMRs follow. Unless you're specifically shooting for Agrias or Meliadoul items because you like them and want stuff for them, anyone who's after a modern-compliant Ramza and wants Marche's stuff but is not too concerned with it happening right away could actually be advised to stop if they grab Ramza's USB.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I already have a near-complete Ramza (Tailwind, Shout, BSB1, USB) and good FFT synergy overall so I'm actually considering skipping that banner because of your post.

More mythril to chase Balthier's USB/BSB2 and justify legend diving him....

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i would like me a ramza and some vivi stuff but i am completely lacking in any relics from a lot of realms right now. it sucks that the older realms are where i have no synergy and are the worst renewal banners to pull on.

also getting that ingus bsb and shield is making me nostalgic for the old old days when i started record keeper and the double shell/protect bug existed and retaliate was meta. tauntaliate in a bsb :unsmith:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

The accessory is unusable garbage (+5 all stats).

Thanks. Sounds like it's worth skipping.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So if you have shout, chant, and history's truth you'd argue I should give the banner a pass?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Servaetes posted:

So if you have shout, chant, and history's truth you'd argue I should give the banner a pass?

I guess I'm "lucky". I only have tailwind, shout, and chant. It seems like the perfect banner for me to pull on.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Servaetes posted:

I mean, you probably "want" Ramza BSB2 because it's a straight up better Shout and his LMR is a massive QOL thing that's not half bad for speed purposes either but unless you want Perfect Support Boy Ramza RIGHT NOW, if you have his USB, the six-pack of Orlandeau USB/LMR, Ramza BSB2/LMR and Marche USB/LMR is probably a better place to go after his newest things since Orlandeau USB is yet another real deal type of thing. Also, as much as it grieves me to even mention, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Onion Knight's physical USB actually becomes the gold standard for Hastega physical team fixing just a short month and change later. For Ramza USB havers, the only thing FFTA-1 has that Alma-1 doesn't is Agrias and Meliadoul items. Ask yourself how much you want that first and foremost, because Ramza and Marche's stuff comes back not all that long later, maybe even twice, and there's some stormy weather ahead on the Shout-like front.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is the tactics renewal banner still decent enough to pull on until the new ffta one. most of my old synergy is bad but those old renewal banners definitely arent worth it. i guess i could pull on type 0 again but if i just get more nines stuff im gonna be unhappy and dont really wanna risk it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

rabidsquid posted:

is the tactics renewal banner still decent enough to pull on until the new ffta one. most of my old synergy is bad but those old renewal banners definitely arent worth it. i guess i could pull on type 0 again but if i just get more nines stuff im gonna be unhappy and dont really wanna risk it

Don't pull on the renewal banner, it is really, really bad compared to the one that's coming up. The only renewal banners that are potentially worth pulling on at all are XV and Type 0 because the pool is so small, the others are traps.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I still don't see Ramza BSB2 as a chase item if you have Shout/Chant/USB but the LMR sure is something else.

Just don't see him being able to use his commands much but at least the wrath saves an ability slot that might let you sneak in an Affliction Break or something now and then. And I know the other command is good damage but I'd rather have him wrath to his USB to increase the party's overall performance.

It's a good thing and I wouldn't mind having it but I can live without.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

I still don't see Ramza BSB2 as a chase item if you have Shout/Chant/USB but the LMR sure is something else.

Just don't see him being able to use his commands much but at least the wrath saves an ability slot that might let you sneak in an Affliction Break or something now and then. And I know the other command is good damage but I'd rather have him wrath to his USB to increase the party's overall performance.

It's a good thing and I wouldn't mind having it but I can live without.

Command 1 on it is primarily useful in JS where it's just a bunch of extra damage, especially against Holy Weak bosses.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

Command 1 on it is primarily useful in JS where it's just a bunch of extra damage, especially against Holy Weak bosses.

It's also useful on easier event bosses or sub-30 Magicite where you're anticipating only needing to cast it once. It's Holy/Non-Elemental so it's something for him to do, if nothing else. On the other hand, remember that people said Rikku USB wasn't vital because they could get the pieces seperately; now Hastega/Proshellga is showing up on Walls and Shouts and god knows what else. There's a lot to be said about space efficiency, and having the baked in Wrath helps.

That said, if you already have Shout, you'd much rather gun for his LMR or OK's USB1/LMR combo.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 31, 2017

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
The command 1 also has 2.7 potency over 5 attacks which is pretty high considering the soul break also grants en-holy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Agrias' USB and LMR ARE good, especially if you have her legend dived (dualcast knight from her LMR means twice the imperil chance from her LM2), but yeah, Orlandeau's banner is overall stronger (even if I don't care about Alma's stuff and think it's pretty underwhelming). But I hate losing the chance at Ramza USB.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wZHx_4gSc

My boy (or rather someone else's boy) Vaan solos things again. The solo potential has been improved by magicites.

Proudclad A+ etc

Vaan is a good boy and his USB is A Good Thing. I want it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

Agrias' USB and LMR ARE good, especially if you have her legend dived (dualcast knight from her LMR means twice the imperil chance from her LM2), but yeah, Orlandeau's banner is overall stronger (even if I don't care about Alma's stuff and think it's pretty underwhelming). But I hate losing the chance at Ramza USB.

Yeah. I'm not gonna lose sleep if I don't get one of my chaser relics (Ramza/Agrias LMR, Ramza BSB2, Marche/Agrias USB) on the FFTA banner, but I can't justify not throwing pulls to it given how much it can boost what is already essentially my A-team (especially my holy A-team), even with three dupes on the banner.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Not all events warrant a clear. Look at the IV event Burning Blade after all the mythril stages are done.

380 stamina, for:
A decent accessory
15 majors
1 rosetta
A bunch of growth eggs and greaters

Is that worth 2 mythril plus your time?

This is a good point, but after clearing a bunch of events and honing up abilities that I never had, I've realized I actually kinda need the orbs and eggs. The Accessories are icing.

Abilities are really good guys!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just can't bear to leave behind all those sweet, sweet crystals, even though I know they're gonna be farmable soon-sish.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not all events warrant a clear. Look at the IV event Burning Blade after all the mythril stages are done.

380 stamina, for:
A decent accessory
15 majors
1 rosetta
A bunch of growth eggs and greaters

Is that worth 2 mythril plus your time?

380 stamina for 15 major orbs is over twice as efficient as what you get from daily dungeons (~53.8 stamina per major orb). Even without all the other stuff it would be worth it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I fool around on the JP version from time to time, especially if I have an itch to pull that I don't want to quite scratch on the global version yet.

Peep this:

Three uniques, all for Yuna!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Are EXP dungeons the best way to master abilities? Now that my main hitlist for the event is over I've got a bit of a backlog.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yes, and you don't even need to wait until Tuesday or Sunday while the Renewal is happening, because the FF3 dungeons come with simple EXP dungeons. And I also assume the Aria event coming up will have a similar dungeon for EXP as well, though even if it doesn't that's still a few more days of reliable EXP that trumps other options when the real dailies aren't around.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Are EXP dungeons the best way to master abilities? Now that my main hitlist for the event is over I've got a bit of a backlog.

Yeah, a couple of runs through the EXP should do it. I've taken Lv99 characters through the EXP dungeon for that very reason.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

At this point I give up on the FF3 OK XP dungeons because I haven't had a mote drop in 500 stamina or so. gently caress you dragons.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Currently fighting dogs for 2 stamina a pop is the best xp/mastery per stamina at 15k exp/stam if you get the worst result

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mithross posted:

Currently fighting dogs for 2 stamina a pop is the best xp/mastery per stamina at 15k exp/stam if you get the worst result
It's incredibly lucrative from an XP standpoint, though be warned that if you want to do it (like I've been) that you should be prepared to constantly run it with the minimum necessary input. So turn auto-battle on, set your speed to 4 or 5, give everyone as much ATK as possible, and hopefully give everyone a haste RM. Ideally, with 400+ ATK on all party members (synergy helps here) you can clear everything but the Bandersnatches in one hit and just survive off your innate defenses/being faster than the enemies/potion drops.

Edit: It's ideal to farm Round 1 rather than Round 2 for the loot from Bandersnatches. In the former they'll drop Greater Black Orbs or the occasional major orb, while in the latter they instead drop mostly useless Greater/Major Non-Elemental Orbs. I don't recall what they drop in Round 3, but for obvious reasons that's not nearly as farmable.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 1, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
When the renewals end, the Newcomer EXP dungeons also offer a pretty efficient avenue for relic mastery.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

It's incredibly lucrative from an XP standpoint, though be warned that if you want to do it (like I've been) that you should be prepared to constantly run it with the minimum necessary input. So turn auto-battle on, set your speed to 4 or 5, give everyone as much ATK as possible, and hopefully give everyone a haste RM. Ideally, with 400+ ATK on all party members (synergy helps here) you can clear everything but the Bandersnatches in one hit and just survive off your innate defenses/being faster than the enemies/potion drops.

Edit: It's ideal to farm Round 1 rather than Round 2 for the loot from Bandersnatches. In the former they'll drop Greater Black Orbs or the occasional major orb, while in the latter they instead drop mostly useless Greater/Major Non-Elemental Orbs. I don't recall what they drop in Round 3, but for obvious reasons that's not nearly as farmable.
it would probably be easier with a healing RM

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Staring down the gigantic wall of renewal banners is giving me itchy pulling finger even though I know it's a terrible idea and I'm only sitting on ~175 mythril

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Staring down the gigantic wall of renewal banners is giving me itchy pulling finger even though I know it's a terrible idea and I'm only sitting on ~175 mythril

I know the feeling. It's so tough not to spend my mythril.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Nothing on the Renewal banners is worth it unless you really love the 15 or Type-0 cast. The only reason I did it was because my 15 and 0 characters already had some relics and I just wanted to make them a bit better.

Stay strong and save up!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I look at future banners whenever I'm tempted to pull on one that isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I look at future banners whenever I'm tempted to pull on one that isn't very good.

I do this too but all it does is, illogically, make me want to pull more.

"oh man look at all this broken poo poo, I want my poo poo to be broken now" and then the only thing that's broke is me :negative:

example: looking too much at the Onion Knight banner has made me tempted to pull on Aria 1. I shouldn't do this, there is literally no reason to do this. And yet I am compelled.

• Locked thread