Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the first season actually went up on Netflix before it had finished airing in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hey guys, I'm finally finishing Fringe and loving it. Of course I skipped almost all of Season 1. I'm near the end of season 3 now.

The thing is I want some friends to watch it too, and they're definitely not the type to just start with season 2. So could you guys possibly recommend a very short list of season 1 eps that are good or just need to be watched for the overall story? I'm thinking maybe the first episode and the last 4 episodes?

Please and thank you.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't decide if Ray Donovan is a good show or not. I mean it has a lot of bad things in it but I also kind of liked the last season. It feels like a show that should be great but is just mediocre.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Hey guys, I'm finally finishing Fringe and loving it. Of course I skipped almost all of Season 1. I'm near the end of season 3 now.

The thing is I want some friends to watch it too, and they're definitely not the type to just start with season 2. So could you guys possibly recommend a very short list of season 1 eps that are good or just need to be watched for the overall story? I'm thinking maybe the first episode and the last 4 episodes?

Please and thank you.

io9 did a breakdown that I think might help get you started.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5652372/want-to-get-into-fringe-these-are-the-episodes-you-need-to-watch

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Season 1 of Fringe is super good as a rewatch season. Circle back after you finish season 5 and you'll enjoy 90% of season 1.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fringe is great and it makes me wonder how many other attempts to ride Lost's coattails could have also turned things around if they had to stop dragging things out halfway through season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Waking Life/LSD episode of Fringe is still one of my favorite things ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody get some marshmallows, this fire is gonna be intense

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2017/10/31/jeremy-piven-accused-sexual-assault-groping-ariane-bellamar-entourage-set/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Andy Dick also got accused today and some project he's working on got suspended. It's not getting a lot of exposure because, of course Andy Dick is a sexual harasser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress Andy Dick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

gently caress Andy Dick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only surprise there is that Andy Dick was actually working on something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

gently caress Andy Dick.

If I had a time machine I would go back to when Jon Lovitz beat him up in that bar so many times that everyone else in the bar was me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO has announced that they're going to air the Kit Harrington miniseries Gunpowder in December.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

HBO has announced that they're going to air the Kit Harrington miniseries Gunpowder in December.

Is that a change?

e: oooh What We Do in the Shadows tv series being developed.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 31, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Oh rad, he has so much range. I can't wait to see him staring slack jawed and confused, but this time wearing a cowboy hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Oh rad, he has so much range. I can't wait to see him staring slack jawed and confused, but this time wearing a cowboy hat.

Its about the Guy Fawkes thing. (He's not playing Guy Fawkes)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Niwrad posted:

I can't decide if Ray Donovan is a good show or not. I mean it has a lot of bad things in it but I also kind of liked the last season. It feels like a show that should be great but is just mediocre.
I only watch it, because I like deadpan Liev Schreiber. But it also gets old quicky, and the plot is pretty convoluted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TUGZ1VQDss

God I love Nathan Fielder so much :allears:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Niwrad posted:

I can't decide if Ray Donovan is a good show or not... It feels like a show that should be great but is just mediocre.

I watched a few episodes and it didn't hold my attention, but yeah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Niwrad posted:

That's how I feel about so many Showtime shows.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

The Waking Life/LSD episode of Fringe is still one of my favorite things ever.

"How do we do an episode of our show about Leonard Nimoy's character when the man is literally dying and is too frail to travel? We've had our lead actress get possessed and do a bad Nimoy impersonation, we can't keep mining that well."

"Let's animate it! And have bumpers of Lance Reddick tripping balls because apparently in addition to having the body of a greek statue and being a professional jazz musician he's also funny as gently caress."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b58_CoUDrE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Haha holy crap

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Lmaoooooo I just got to the episode with the main character doing the Leonard nimoy impersonation this show is amazing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how in the new season of Stranger Things, Hopper lives in the Evil Dead cabin

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Billzasilver posted:

Lmaoooooo I just got to the episode with the main character doing the Leonard nimoy impersonation this show is amazing

lmao you think its just going to be one episode

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On the one hand it's so annoying when you're catching something for the first time and people chime in with "just you wait" and enthusiastic hyping. On the other hand Fringe earns it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Overall Fringe is one of my favorite shows of all time. There is a thing that happens in the reality of the series that majorly affects a central character and much later, almost at the very end of the series there is a callback and resolution to it and it's my favorite scene in the entire show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fringe is great. The last season is irredeemable garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Fringe is great. The last season is irredeemable garbage.

Nooooooo Snaaaaak whyyyyyyyy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I ranted and raved about it while I watched it for the first time last year. It loving sucks. I.hated watching it so much that it's tainted my overall opinion of the entire show. Which isn't fair, but I'm self aware enough to recognize that it happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Baby I know you don't mean it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season 4 of Fringe really bugged me. I thought it was a perfectly fine show until then -- with some really great stuff in Season 3. But their set-up for four made me actively angry. I just have absolutely no idea what the writers room was thinking.

(And the third season finale is incredibly poor too.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just caught up on the current season of Ray Donovan and uh, that's gonna piss me off if it's the series finale.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Just caught up on the current season of Ray Donovan and uh, that's gonna piss me off if it's the series finale.

It's not, next season will be taking place in New York from what the showrunners have said.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next season, in New York, Ray finds 34 new ways to get blood all over his shirts and suits every single day.

He also gets punched in the eye socket 3 times an episode.

He really is the non-Star Trek version of "O'Brien Must Suffer".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Next season, in New York, Ray finds 34 new ways to get blood all over his shirts and suits every single day.

He also gets punched in the eye socket 3 times an episode.

He really is the non-Star Trek version of "O'Brien Must Suffer".

He's Irish, it's his legacy.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

PSA: Strike Back airs in roughly 23 hours on Sky One. I think you can watch it on the website. Maybe need a geo unlocker/vpn though.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/4582aae4-0ccc-4251-bd46-2c026015dd80/strike-back/episodes/season-6/episode-1

Edit: scratch that its a sign up dealio. Just pirate it.

It was good but not quite as good as the old Strike Back. They seem to no longer be filming in South Africa (Jordan and Hungary according to the credits) and don't have the vibrant setting in real world cities but just empty locations in the desert with nothing but baddies and the heroes. Loads more digital over practical effects too.

The cast seems good, Novin was the standout as New Richmond.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CeeJee posted:

It was good but not quite as good as the old Strike Back. They seem to no longer be filming in South Africa (Jordan and Hungary according to the credits) and don't have the vibrant setting in real world cities but just empty locations in the desert with nothing but baddies and the heroes. Loads more digital over practical effects too.

Give it time, it's hard to follow up the stellar cast of seasons 2-5.

I'm still 20 mins from watching it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

CeeJee posted:

This was a really good first episode. I feel they struck a good balance between hitting the ground running and laying the groundwork for the season without over-rushing it.

Most importantly i kinda like the new team already. While certainly not on the level i've grown to cheer for "Bravo Team" but i can already see future me swearing at the screen when one of them gets Baxter'ed. Mentioning him and Richmond: I hope there is still room for character development in this for future seasons.

In summary: I'm in for the ride *hops into Novin's sheep-truck*

• Locked thread