Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the main reason I actually quit. There were way too many games where if we don't get first blood someone on our team would throw a tantrum and start feeding. And when you have 1 person actively trying to throw before 10 minutes into the game its basically impossible to win unless the other team has someone throwing harder. So then you're trapped in a miserable game for 30 minutes at best.

I don't mind losing but I at least want my team to try, cause if they aren't then why even bother playing?

I kept getting reported for taking off-meta spells like teleport and having a history of Urf Mode, so I decided getting my seasonal ranking was not worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cindel posted:

I kept getting reported for taking off-meta spells like teleport and having a history of Urf Mode, so I decided getting my seasonal ranking was not worthwhile.

The LoL culture of reporting anything that wasn't 100% cargo culted from professional play is the reason I quit that game. Half the fun of DotA is coming up with some weirdo half-baked pocket strat and winning with it because you are 2300 MMR and no one has seen it before.

My next one is going to be convincing my team to do 5 meteor hammers and 5 push heroes. If the channeling time is too bad we can all build glimmer cape.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

fun fact I just found out: If you buy courier at the start of the game, put it down and destroy it no one can buy it for 10 hours

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

frajaq posted:

fun fact I just found out: If you buy courier at the start of the game, put it down and destroy it no one can buy it for 10 hours

What's the logic behind limiting courier buys anyway

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
A common griefing/rager tactic was to mass buy couriers and send them down a lane to feed the enemy team so they get a bunch of global gold

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sweetgrass posted:

A common griefing/rager tactic was to mass buy couriers and send them down a lane to feed the enemy team so they get a bunch of global gold

An equally common griefer tactic was to fill the courier with random poo poo and hog it so no one could get anything delivered.

Assholes gonna rear end in a top hat, but there are situations where having 2 couriers would be useful.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
I don't disagree with you, if someone is dead set on being a prick during a game they're going to find a way to accomplish that, but I don't doubt courier feeding was the most prevalent form of that behavior and it was stupidly easy to do.

Yeah it sucks to lose a piece of niche functionality that multiple couriers bring, but ultimately it's probably better for the longterm health of the game if if it's sacrificed to mitigate rear end in a top hat antics.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I would assume it's also to prevent inexperienced players (and those not paying attention) from buying multiples accidentally, or getting confused when there are multiple couriers.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

literally how was anyone saying brood was weak last patch because that hero was ridiculous

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pango gently caress is poo poo and dotabuff confirms it 36% winrate.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dark willow seems crazy good, she does a lot of damage with very little and does even more damage with a lot and level 25 +200 AS is hilarious, especially with like bloodthorn or something. Worst thing is that her spells come out a little slow so can be easy to blink or disjoint or w/e

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kild posted:

I think people assume he's a safelane carry. He is not.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Tiny and morph are right in the dumpster with him. I think Tiny might be fine but they removed his only build for the last six years.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Incoherence posted:

he's not ANYTHING. He does no damage and has only his ult as real CC.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pro Dota is actually good as hell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This the only game I ever stopped playing because of how toxic the community was. It even made me toxic at times despite almost never getting mad at other games. Its tons of fun but people being so negative just kills it.

It rules OP

Fake e: get good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is probably a :can: but how do most people consider the state of the game to be since a year ago? Better or worse? Its always surprised me that there are so many huge changes so late into development.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It rules OP

Fake e: get good

I don't think I'd ever be good enough to get out of the 3800-4200 MMR bracket. I bounced around that place for over a year, completely changing my playstyle and heroes and still making no progress. When I got good games it was fun but the amount of salt was unreal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 1, 2017

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Over the past year or two the pool of viable heroes played at tournaments has kept rising with every patch. Development was probably 'finished' with the release of 7.00 and the talents system but there are going to be changes to the game no matter what to keep the game from getting stale. But this has a knock on effect with making the game more complicated and not very friendly for new players.

To fix that, today's patch saw the new -em mode which allows for shorter games and will be far better for learning and trying new things out. It's a step in the right direction but there are more poo poo that can be done to improve it. Just take a look at the dota 2 reddit and you will see a million threads asking for changes to be made, so development never stops.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

LoL I find is worse because people tilt so loving fast in that game and give up.

Honestly, at least half my losses are because someone flips out before creeps have spawned and decided someone else on the team 'does not deserve to win'.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ambivalent posted:

Dark willow seems crazy good, she does a lot of damage with very little and does even more damage with a lot and level 25 +200 AS is hilarious, especially with like bloodthorn or something. Worst thing is that her spells come out a little slow so can be easy to blink or disjoint or w/e

She's pretty fun yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kild posted:

he's not ANYTHING. He does no damage and has only his ult as real CC.

Thank god. I hate how he looks, I hate his kit, I hate everything about that stupid dreamworks lookin idiot!!!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kild posted:

not that i don't agree with you but it's been like 8 hours since the patch, of course everyone's gonna blindly pick the new hero. initial winrates for new heroes are always low

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IncendiaC posted:

not that i don't agree with you but it's been like 8 hours since the patch, of course everyone's gonna blindly pick the new hero. initial winrates for new heroes are always low

Theres nothing pro like with Wisp Ember or Earth Spirit to learn on him. Wisp girl is probably harder to play and she has 48% winrate. He's not a core and he only has a proc slow and an ult stun so he's hardly a support either.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 1, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Also worth noting: Everyone was saying people would come back to Dota in droves as soon as the patch hit and if today is anything to go by, they didn't. Peak numbers were around what they usually are. They've also done some widening of the MMR range for ranked, I've noticed. Sometimes you end up in games where everyone is 300-400 MMR below you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I end up in games with people with MMR 1200 above me because I am MMR 0.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Brinner posted:

broodmother is great now. Losing free pathing from taking dmg and getting dusted 24/7 sucked and made it the niche pick she was. now she's viable all the time and a lot of fun. if being invis is a highlight of the hero you're loving garbage with garbage opinions.

apem is fun but I feel like the towers need a tweak. Right now it's real easy to farm a deso/AC in 10 mins and end the game solo. Why would you do that in a fun game mode? Idk but ppl can and will. Test client last night was full of it.

bane needs a nerf, pangolin is fun as gently caress but im curious to see what the pros do with it. Willow great in a 4 role bad in a 5 so far. contesting bounties is really bizarre now. Shrine changes good. HG changes good. Good patch. 5K+ is a poo poo show rn

I'm a pretty big brood autist (5.5k from spamming offlane heroes) and i think losing the invisibility is a pretty hefty loss. you could do all sorts of shenanigans to avoid true sight, like replacing your webs away from sentries or dispelling dust with manta and so on. in the end, a smart brood player could starve supports of their gold just by using the invisibility, which is why they probably removed it completely. another downside to losing the invisibility is that brood can no longer really initiate on heroes since people will see her coming up to them. orchiding a slark out of invisibility was really good. it doesn't seem like the new brood is good for much besides doing some very ratty splitpush

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also worth noting: Everyone was saying people would come back to Dota in droves as soon as the patch hit and if today is anything to go by, they didn't. Peak numbers were around what they usually are. They've also done some widening of the MMR range for ranked, I've noticed. Sometimes you end up in games where everyone is 300-400 MMR below you.

I didn't see many people saying that, at least on SA.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Honestly, at least half my losses are because someone flips out before creeps have spawned and decided someone else on the team 'does not deserve to win'.

Is this an US thing? People get hekka mad on EU West but I can't recall the last time someone fed on purpose, never mind before min 20.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sweetgrass posted:

I'm going to miss having a conga line of couriers waddling around the ancient, you could set them all to follow eachother and they'd keep running around forever.

Internet Kraken posted:

This the only game I ever stopped playing because of how toxic the community was. It even made me toxic at times despite almost never getting mad at other games. Its tons of fun but people being so negative just kills it.

I've generally just tried to make sure I'm playing with a chill friend or two who doesn't get mad about stuff, a friend of mine recently started playing dota after having played league with friends and randoms for years and after a few games with me he was shocked at how nice it is to not have the people in his group freak out and get mad. We'd had a long run of extremely embarrassingly bad games and we'd just talk about what went wrong, sometimes it was on other people being too ballsy or not being willing to help when they should, sometimes it was us making really poor calls, but people just being calm and not getting bitter and spiteful after something went wrong was a shock to him.

He was pretty disgusted at how one of his league friends that tagged along for a game responded to a warning about how much he was getting hit by the tower with a tirade about how he hates mobas and if you want him to play with you you have to let him play the way he wants to play and he doesn't like towers and then he'd just stick his hero on follow.

I never stopped playing outright because of a nasty community, I just gave up on playing with bits of the community that were disgusting shitheads. I don't think I've played with goons for years because too often a game with people from the ingame #lljk channel(it was like this in HoN, too) would devolve into the 2-3 other goons going out of their way to be dicks to the randoms, and I think the final straw might have been the time a bunch of goons did that and then the guy replied back in a Caribbean accent and they all started shouting about what a dumb friend of the family he was.

Minorkos posted:

I'm a pretty big brood autist

Overall do you think her spiders were made tougher or squishier by the health reduction and armour gain?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Is this an US thing? People get hekka mad on EU West but I can't recall the last time someone fed on purpose, never mind before min 20.

Maybe. It's happened in 7 out of my last 12 games, but at least I won the other 5.

:tinfoil: Maybe I'm in the hidden rage queue?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is probably a :can: but how do most people consider the state of the game to be since a year ago? Better or worse? Its always surprised me that there are so many huge changes so late into development.

I don't think I'd ever be good enough to get out of the 3800-4200 MMR bracket. I bounced around that place for over a year, completely changing my playstyle and heroes and still making no progress. When I got good games it was fun but the amount of salt was unreal.

Dota is the definition of a literal salt mine

You must harness the salt

You must become the salt

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I haven't seen a feeder in literally years, but the last one I saw was a russian guy who had been dominating as Huskar and overall we were really far ahead, and then he spent 15 minutes walking down mid with no items for no apparent reason until they were too fed to defend against.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it jumped the shark back in 6.78, which is when they stopped trying to balance the game they had and started trying to turn it into something new out of a desire to keep things fresh or attract new players or whatever.

The game is basically Dota 3 now. I quit HoN and moved on to dota because supports were cooler and had more impact, hard carries and 4 protect 1 were viable, it was slower, more deliberate and strategic instead of just a 5vs5 deathball thunderdome. None of the stuff that brought me to Dota is there anymore, it's a different game. You don't even have proper trilanes and offlanes anymore. That makes me sad.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Incoherence posted:

Yea pango doesn't really seem like a safelane carry at all. I was watching waga play some earlier as a sort of roaming 4, grabbing proc stuff for his Q like diffusal, javelin, orb of venom. Hopping out and dropping a decent chunk of damage along with his slow was working out pretty well for him. Once he had 2 javelins his Q was clearing waves pretty much straight, as well as jungle camps so he has some good anti-push.

I think blink as a later item is probably pretty good on him, lets his ult be good instead of sometimes driving you into a corner. If the other team is grouped a blink+stompy thing gives good damage and armor allowing you to Q out of them.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Pango didn't seem too bad from the brief test I did, he just gravely suffers from the fact that both his ult and W seem useless

Like, if you can actually get a good W off, your positioning is probably poo poo

lohli posted:

Overall do you think her spiders were made tougher or squishier by the health reduction and armour gain?

Apparently they have a little less effective HP, (450 HP to ~370 effective HP) but they heal faster in webs. Probably a nerf though since they're easier to nuke now.

I find it pretty funny that Valve calls Brood's changes a "hero rework". It's kinda like if they took away Pudge's hook and gave basically nothing in return, and called it a hero rework

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 1, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TOOT BOOT posted:

My Dota group is considering coming back given some of the changes -- no more base shrines, etc -- but they haven't come screaming back. It'll take time to see if people come back because it's going to take time for things like, hey, Valve got rid of shrines and so on to get to people. It's also Halloween.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not sure why someone would look at a skill with no scaling that is basically a platform for onhits and think "ah, a new carry.", same for the ult that makes him unable to attack.

IMO get orb of venom, early javelin, roam out for those magical 2+ javelin procs off swashbuckle, and have a good time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of the problems with ench's windrate would be fixed if they stopped her buying the hurricane pike item

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

3-400? When was the last time you played dota? 1k is typical..

People raging early about builds on new heroes and reporting. Yeah, not enough, game's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Not sure why someone would look at a skill with no scaling that is basically a platform for onhits and think "ah, a new carry.", same for the ult that makes him unable to attack.

IMO get orb of venom, early javelin, roam out for those magical 2+ javelin procs off swashbuckle, and have a good time.

or idk go something more effective like earth spirit riki bh, anyone with a hard disable, anyone with damage, anyone with tankiness, anyone that scales, anyone with utility, anyone with soft disables, anyone with something more than oov slow and a -30 ms proc

Like I really want him to be good bc I like his design but all his numbers are just too low and his W is a gimmick attached for his ult.

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 1, 2017