Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
new donk city loving rules everything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Your Computer posted:

by the way why am I not seeing more people talking about the fact that Nintendo styled an entire world on Slurms MacKenzie

I did definitely notice the instant I saw them, but I just assumed everyone else also had.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Today I broke 600 moons. So far my only complaints with the postgame hunt is that Koopa Freerunning is kind of boring to do in EVERY kingdom, hint art is crazy weird sometimes, and I have an averse fear of going to bigger kingdoms for whatever reason.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kaewan posted:

I'm missing one moon in the deep woods. I assume it has something to do with the coins in the river but I can't figure it out.

See if there's anything you can capture nearby to use near the coins.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga you ran into a race of snail people that lived in woods that produced soda for the rest of the kingdom.

I figured these were either the same snails or a direct homage to them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga you ran into a race of snail people that lived in woods that produced soda for the rest of the kingdom.

I figured these were either the same snails or a direct homage to them.

The guys making the soda were (french) beanpeople though, not snails?

:goonsay:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
So I have three purple coins missing in the Sand Kingdom, how am I supposed to access the 8-bit section in the inverted pyramid once it's floating?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Bloodplay it again posted:

Wow, out of 821 stars this one was my least favorite so far.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I spoofed the Bowser amiibo and used it to mop up the remainder of the Purple Coins I needed and I can confirm that if you're missing coins in another segment of the level that's barred with a pipe, warp point or other load zone the highlight that you get from the Bowser amiibo will just highlight the pipe but once you go through you can scan the amiibo again and then it will actually highlight the coins. Also, you can only have one coin highlighted at a time, until you collect it but luckily you can just scan it immediately after and there's no stupid loving waiting period like there are with the Zelda amiibos.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I just finished my first day with the game, finished Lake Kingdom with about 105 moons. Game's real good. Looking forward to going back and taking care of New Donk tomorrow.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I learned from the map pamphlet thing that the people of New Donk are not humans, but New Donkians

so it's cool, it's fine everybody, crisis averted

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I learned from the map pamphlet thing that the people of New Donk are not humans, but New Donkians

I mean obviously. They don't look anything like Mario.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Your Computer posted:

The guys making the soda were (french) beanpeople though, not snails?

:goonsay:

Well yeah I know, the snails lived in that forest though :v:

They are in target range of sodas.

Manoueverable posted:

So I have three purple coins missing in the Sand Kingdom, how am I supposed to access the 8-bit section in the inverted pyramid once it's floating?

There's a slingshot on the desert floor with some tourists around it. Throw cappy and launch yourself back in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Which means they likely evolved from Kongs :pseudo:.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2JOVX9DR_U
:cool:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WITCHCRAFT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That there's forty zillion moons and you can literally buy them in postgame to fill out unlock requirements seems to suggest that Nintendo fully expects only total maniacs to actually try to 100% the game, and has let the ravenous monsters off the leash to design some fiendishly difficult moons.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I bought a new Switch to play this and the jump buttons on my right joycon didn't respond at several points during my playthrough (but started working again after a few seconds). Has this happened to anyone else? The left joycon didn't have any problems.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I've encountered that. Not just the jump button, but the cap button too. It's weird, though, since the first run of left joycons is known to have this problem, but not the right joycon. Even weirder, I've not had that problem on other games. Could be some kind of interference maybe?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So towards the beginning of the Luncheon Kingdom there's apparently a moon buried under some yellow rocks but there aren't any Hammer Bros to capture nearby. Do you need to grab one from later in the world and backtrack all the way there or is there another way to get to it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a reason to (500+ moons spoiler) do stuff on the Darker Side like kill the UFO at the very beginning?
I noticed I could just rush right past that area, and there's only one star on the list for that kingdom, so I don't think it would give me a moon. Actually, should I be keeping an eye out for any secrets there or should I just concentrate on surviving?

Larryb posted:

So towards the beginning of the Luncheon Kingdom there's apparently a moon buried under some yellow rocks but there aren't any Hammer Bros to capture nearby. Do you need to grab one from later in the world and backtrack all the way there or is there another way to get to it?

There are always hammer bros hanging out in the middle where the spinies are, just past the chefs' area leading towards the meat plateau. It's relatively close by. If they're not there, maybe you need to do a story objective, but as far as I can recall they've always been there.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I was told the moons you can buy after the initial moon in every kingdom don’t count towards everything the total moon count unlocks. I feel like this person is full of poo poo but can anyone deconfirm

Inescapable Duck posted:

That there's forty zillion moons and you can literally buy them in postgame to fill out unlock requirements seems to suggest that Nintendo fully expects only total maniacs to actually try to 100% the game, and has let the ravenous monsters off the leash to design some fiendishly difficult moons.

I love the recent trend of games being designed around subverting total obsessive completionism. Of course I wanna see all the substantial content in the game so I feel inclined to get 500 moons but I have no major desire to 100%

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Larryb posted:

Yeah I had to grab one of the Hammer Bros in the middle of the level and get back there (which took 2 attempts because I messed up a jump over lava :argh:)

It's annoying because the Tomato dudes get replaced by Fire Bros, but they can't destroy the cheese rocks.

e: Actually, another question about Luncheon Kingdom. There's a Moon up on top of one of the high points, but I don't see any way of getting back up there. It's where there's a Hint Art on one side. If you go around to the right of that, you might be able to get up with some wall jumping and cap tricks? Is there another, more obvious way though? Is there a bird dude I can capture in that world and glide to it or something?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 1, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nina posted:

I was told the moons you can buy after the initial moon in every kingdom don’t count towards everything the total moon count unlocks. I feel like this person is full of poo poo but can anyone deconfirm

That's true. The shops sell an infinite number of moons. Only the first of each counts towards filling out your list of moons, buuuuut something happens when you reach 999 moons, and there aren't 999 moons scattered around the world, so you'll need to pad out your moon total by buying more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

irlZaphod posted:

e: Actually, another question about Luncheon Kingdom. There's a Moon up on top of one of the high points, but I don't see any way of getting back up there. It's where there's a Hint Art on one side. If you go around to the right of that, you might be able to get up with some wall jumping and cap tricks? Is there another, more obvious way though? Is there a bird dude I can capture in that world and glide to it or something?
I don't know if this is the same moon, but if it's the island-place with a cheese rock on the backside (with the set of stairs right by the Hammer Bros, just past the plaza), I got up there by capturing a Hammer Bro, going around the back, jumping off the blue rock on the back, cap out of the Bro, wall jump into hat throw+jump and land. A moon up there and also the second golden turnip.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know if this is the same moon, but if it's the island-place with a cheese rock on the backside (with the set of stairs right by the Hammer Bros, just past the plaza), I got up there by capturing a Hammer Bro, going around the back, jumping off the blue rock on the back, cap out of the Bro, wall jump into hat throw+jump and land. A moon up there and also the second golden turnip.
That's the one iirc. I think I was there when I was playing on Monday, after a few minutes of trying tricks to get up I just left it. I kept messing up the cap out of the Bro and landing on his head. :sigh:

The turnip isn't up top though, is it? I think it's around the back. I certainly found a 2nd one around the back of somewhere anyway.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hi I beat the game this morning and I love the ending. Now to get the ten billion moons that are left or whatever :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

You need to think creatively. There's a very simple way to get up there with no jump tricks or anything.

Just use a lava bubble. Shoot over it with one of the cannons and untransform in midair so you fall right down on top.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to think creatively. There's a very simple way to get up there with no jump tricks or anything.

Just use a lava bubble. Shoot over it with one of the cannons and untransform in midair so you fall right down on top.
...I didn't know there was a cannon that went over there but I used that same trick on other stuff so I feel really stupid. Yeah, do this.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

Is there a reason to (500+ moons spoiler) do stuff on the Darker Side like kill the UFO at the very beginning?
I noticed I could just rush right past that area, and there's only one star on the list for that kingdom, so I don't think it would give me a moon. Actually, should I be keeping an eye out for any secrets there or should I just concentrate on surviving?

Beating that enemy gives you a super heart which is helpful for that first section.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Has anyone solved the hint art that looks like the word KEEP? This is the only Moon I don't have, and I'm completely stumped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Beating that enemy gives you a super heart which is helpful for that first section.

And it's not really hard once you have the pattern down. Though I found that with a lot of bosses, in the boss rush of the Broodals on the Dark Side I died a few times, then something clicked and I powered through the rest with minimal difficulty.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

blakyoshi posted:

Has anyone solved the hint art that looks like the word KEEP? This is the only Moon I don't have, and I'm completely stumped.
Your hint is that it is the word KEEP.

Good luck.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
That post-game broodal fight is easy to cheese.
You can leave the boss rush anytime and replenish your hearts with the 6 heart power up outside. Throw cappy at one of the fruit stems right next to the entrance. I found that out by accident because I fudged one of the fights so badly that I was hoping to reset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Wait, that means Mario dated outside his species? Weirdo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the theory someone posted at me that the New Donkians are to Pauline (who's human) what Toads are to Peach :v:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I got the money shot

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Kaewan posted:

That post-game broodal fight is easy to cheese.
You can leave the boss rush anytime and replenish your hearts with the 6 heart power up outside. Throw cappy at one of the fruit stems right next to the entrance. I found that out by accident because I fudged one of the fights so badly that I was hoping to reset.

I wish I knew this sooner... Oh well.

Does buying moons from the shops affect the moon count found in the overworld? I kind of don't want to mess myself up by buying moons and missing out on moons found in the overworld.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Princess is just another species in this crazy world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zuzie posted:

I wish I knew this sooner... Oh well.

Does buying moons from the shops affect the moon count found in the overworld? I kind of don't want to mess myself up by buying moons and missing out on moons found in the overworld.
Buying moons increases your moon tally, allowing you to access the post-game kingdoms and costumes and such quicker, but it doesn't collect moons from around the world for you. It just adds a counter of how much you've bought next to the "Shopping in World Name" moon on the list.

• Locked thread