Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

I couldn't give a poo poo if the planets are tiny, or if commandos turds are properly simulated, I just don't care - if it's fun it's fun.
It's Chris, again, he's the problem, stop waving your hands and spouting bullshit man. Stop promising stuff that is obviously bollocks.

Just stop thinking, Chris. You are not a visionary, just a guy who saw Star Trek/Firefly/Blade Runner/Hello Kitty once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogeh posted:

Just stop thinking, Chris. You are not a visionary, just a guy who saw Star Trek/Firefly/Blade Runner/Hello Kitty once.

The thumb headed legend that reskinned Afterburner into a Star Wars with rip off with Wing Commando should just embrace that imo and maybe reskin Altered Beast into a Bladerunner platformer

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wise fwom yo gwave and buy an Idris

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Macher_Gaming/status/925660136705806336

https://twitter.com/saoldian/status/925719279244333056

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There are people still out there expecting SQ42 :psyduck:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

The mocap doesn't make any sense without it.

Remember that time when star marine was in, but it wasn't in, and they said that they weren't doing it, then it turned out they were doing it, and it became the whole game? Yeah, they don't have a loving clue.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

In the beginning there was the 'verse.
And Chris said, let there be fidelity
And then it crashed to desktop

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

DapperDon posted:

The best part is that there are no rules for that sub at all. So what rules can be broken to merit a ban beside the Reddit wide ones?

That pent up frustration the mod has from not being able to silence goons on other subs.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

These. loving. Clowns.

Does he really think ANY of that matters? Are they doing ANY kind of atmospheric modeling? They can't even do the math for a rudimentary flight model, let alone networking - but yeah, they're totally going to give a rats rear end about stuff like this when they can just throw a loving sphere and fudge everything with unrealistic data - all of which is perfectly fine for games.

Guys like this are the reason that sometimes I just root for RSI/CIG to keep ripping them off.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think Derek hates clowns so much because he keeps calling It but he never answers.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

well chris has flat out told them they only have money to finish squardon 42 and they'll use that revenue to make all those expensive presold dreams a reality and in the mean time buy more ships now nowNOW

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Golli posted:

In the beginning there was the 'verse.
And Chris said, let there be fidelity
And then it crashed to desktop
God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days months years we're um err we're refactoring pipelines and earth should be in the hands of Evocati in like erm yeah erm um sometime err this year.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

I couldn't give a poo poo if the planets are tiny, or if commandos turds are properly simulated, I just don't care - if it's fun it's fun.
It's Chris, again, he's the problem, stop waving your hands and spouting bullshit man. Stop promising stuff that is obviously bollocks.

Accurate turd physics is the make or break for me :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

That might help for refund requests.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

One for the chairman.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

One Two for the chairman.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
No way I'm going to GBS or FYAD to see if this was already posted.

Could Twitter take a page from Something Awful?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I think the best part of the Star Citizen Scam finally collapsing is that a large number of nerds will stop psychotically obsessing over Elite Dangerous being THE ENEMY and instead maybe shut up and enjoy the game that delivers on many of Chris Roberts promises.

I'm sure there will always be people that refuse to play it because it dared to exist opposite of Star Citizen and ten years from now at any mention of Elite Dangerous they will scoff and go into a rage filled tirade about "Polygon Tacos" or whatever but I think that will be a small minority.

ED might see a nice boost once thousands of people stop saving themselves for space marriage.

I dunno I'm optimistic at heart so it would be nice to see all the millions of dollars and thousands of players go toward an actual company with a proven product they continue to develop instead of a stammering idiot with a modded Crysis map promising the literal matrix to fools.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Quavers posted:

I want a Bristol Stool Scale to pop up on my mobiglas.

Unless that knowledge was lost to time along with the Roomba technology.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think the best part of the Star Citizen Scam finally collapsing is that a large number of nerds will stop psychotically obsessing over Elite Dangerous being THE ENEMY and instead maybe shut up and enjoy the game that delivers on many of Chris Roberts promises.

I'm sure there will always be people that refuse to play it because it dared to exist opposite of Star Citizen and ten years from now at any mention of Elite Dangerous they will scoff and go into a rage filled tirade about "Polygon Tacos" or whatever but I think that will be a small minority.

ED might see a nice boost once thousands of people stop saving themselves for space marriage.

I dunno I'm optimistic at heart so it would be nice to see all the millions of dollars and thousands of players go toward an actual company with a proven product they continue to develop instead of a stammering idiot with a modded Crysis map promising the literal matrix to fools.

The real sign that Star Citizen is ready to leave alpha is when the Evocati start leaking post-surgery selfies of their cerebellum uplink ports.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Pgabz was just a proof-of-concept trial run. That's he must be so angry that he's not Evocati.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

1) What is the maximum latency permissible for the game to be playable? (If you don't know the numbers just say FPS-like, Fighting game-like, RTS-like. EVE-like, etc)

~16ms, equivalent to that of a server with a tick rate of 64.

2) How many players do you expect to be able to play together in the same immediate area?

Kinda loaded, provided CIG can work out instancing as described. Instanced zones that can hold 20-40 clients reliable on 1-2 servers can be scaled to 60 or 80 clients with the addition of additional servers on the blade, provided Amazon Compute and web services are able to spool up a server and increase the instance for all clients on a near real-time basis. I don't know the technical specifics of how that can work because I don't know too many other games that use Amazon in this way.

3) How many "regions" will the game handle? Will Australian players be forced to play with Brazilian ones?

I don't know. I'm assuming an Americas, EMEA and AsPAC?

4) What kind of servers are you using? Typical AWS stuff, a cluster?

From what I understand, Amazon elastic compute (ec2) will allow for multiple servers to be spun instantaneously (within minutes). I'm assuming CIG will lease a VPC ahead with a certain subnet of servers and load balance accordingly. This way, servers can be brought online and off compared to instanced and idled players.

5) Can players that are on the same immediate area but are connected to different servers interact?

If the description of AWS and EC2 is as I understand, this should be a readily-available feature.

hosed up if true

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I can see the posts now.

"UGH! Elite Dangerous? It couldn't hold a candle to what Star Citizen would have been, the wrong company went bankrupt imo." :allears:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's the fanboy paradox.

They need Elite to exist so they can gloat at how much better Star Citizen is. But the fact that Elite is objectively the better one at the moment (by virtue of being real) is currently driving them loving insane. I can't imagine what they'd be like once you took the possibility of Star Citizen ever existing away from them, because that's basically their only lifeline to sanity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Latin Pheonix posted:

I can see the posts now.

"UGH! Elite DangerousThe Orville? It couldn't hold a candle to what Star CitizenFirefly would have been, the wrong company went bankruptshow was cancelled imo." :allears:

It's all so cyclical.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm looking forward to a generation of every game being called an opportunistic Star Citizen clone.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Had anyone said "ban MoMA" in the last 10 pages? Because this might be a little out of character, but I think you should ban MoMA.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

McGiggins posted:

Had anyone said "ban MoMA" in the last 10 pages? Because this might be a little out of character, but I think you should ban MoMA.

Sorry hes been owning this thread a little too much. I'm sure CIG will 'screw' up soon!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/925748888119791616

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Sorry hes been owning this thread a little too much. I'm sure CIG will 'screw' up soon!

I'm the Question Mark (?) on the hosed up phone dial display because we had to fit 3 characters for each number.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wow that was fast!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The display isn't level either, and the ui is terrible leaving such empty space to the left of the numbers

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Star Citizen is a piece of poo poo!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm the Question Mark (?) on the hosed up phone dial display because we had to fit 3 characters for each number.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

Star Citizen is a piece of poo poo!

:popeye:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

No, you see, its a great thing to have, an animated gif to let you know you can open a box!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen:

If ever a physical analogy made of a real physically touchable material for SC was ever needed, there it is.

It's glorious.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

They've done it.

They've actually done it.

They ran a convention with such an overwhelmingly dull presentation with so little content and 99.9% dreams and buttsmoke that I can't complete a new video discussing it.

There is nothing to talk about. I might as well review a 10FTC where Chris just talks nonsense for an hour.

I am flabbergasted and have nothing further to say on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ZenMaster posted:

They've done it.

They've actually done it.

They ran a convention with such an overwhelmingly dull presentation with so little content and 99.9% dreams and buttsmoke that I can't complete a new video discussing it.

There is nothing to talk about. I might as well review a 10FTC where Chris just talks nonsense for an hour.

I am flabbergasted and have nothing further to say on the matter.

Just make a 15 minute video of dead air.