Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Agreed posted:

Two separate issues - power creep is just part of the model of perpetual online RPGs - I have never played one without it, going back to Ultima Online and EQ in the late '90s there's always creep because eventually endgame players need more content to keep playing & paying

Yea power creep is a big reason why I finally realized that FFXI and FFXIV are largely futile endeavors. So many job options become largely obsolete at huge paces and gear becomes obsolete even faster.

Tanking with a Paladin? Not anymore because everyone uses Ninja to blink tank!

Come back from a year break and everyone tells you to do this one raid?? Well another raid is coming out in a month and will decimate the gear you just did a ton of grinding for!

I get WHY it is that way. I mean you need new content and new challenges, otherwise you lose subs due to monotony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
You always need to have some sort of new awesome thing to chase after otherwise what's the point of taking the journey in the first place? The problem with evolving games is that they all have this horrendous time adding things while maintaining any semblance of balance, and if the core game doesn't offer a fun enough journey for players to compensate for that then the game dies.

FFBE has probably one of the worst problems imaginable for an evolving game, which is that it can't seem to loving balance the Whales vs. F2P content.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Agreed posted:

... the real problem here IMO is they're doing compu gacha and it seems to be pretty much fully over w/ the players. ...

I completely missed that I was fooled into accepting this problem, I would like to change my complaint to this. Even if they bring their multiple-dupes 7* system to non-5-base units, this is what should make me upset.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

hagie posted:

Yea power creep is a big reason why I finally realized that FFXI and FFXIV are largely futile endeavors. So many job options become largely obsolete at huge paces and gear becomes obsolete even faster.

Tanking with a Paladin? Not anymore because everyone uses Ninja to blink tank!

Come back from a year break and everyone tells you to do this one raid?? Well another raid is coming out in a month and will decimate the gear you just did a ton of grinding for!

I get WHY it is that way. I mean you need new content and new challenges, otherwise you lose subs due to monotony.

FFXI used to actually be pretty decent in regards to power creep since it used a horizontal gearing system over the vertical progression system which made it pretty unique. They were largely forced to change it a bit after Abyssea and Adoulin came out due to the changes to level scaling and what not though.

Though that was years and years ago.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It's not the most elegant solution but it was going to happen sooner or later. At least we'll get to see the effect on JP and decide what to do from there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This month's log in rewards:

20x King Metal Minituar
1,200x Lapis
5x Summon Tickets
2x Expansion Vouchers
20x 10 NRG Restores
2x 1% Moogles
10x Gil Snapper Family
1x 10+1 Ticket

The Expansion Vouchers will be nice.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 1, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kheldarn posted:

This month's log in rewards:

20x King Metal Minituar
1,200x Lapis
5x Summon Tickets
2x Expansion Vouchers
20x 10 NRG Restores
2x 1% Moogles
10x Gil Snapper Family
1x 10+1 Ticket

The Expansion Vouchers will be nice.

i dont mean to be a wet blanket but doesnt buying expansion slots cost 100 lapis :v:

hamsystem posted:

It's not the most elegant solution but it was going to happen sooner or later. At least we'll get to see the effect on JP and decide what to do from there.

ehhhh thats really hard to say, because even if it goes well in japan that somewhat hinges on us receiving the level of accessibility to 5* that they have and that also assumes gumi doesnt go "GLOBAL IS ITS OWN GAME :henget:" and make things worse because mise

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i dont mean to be a wet blanket but doesnt buying expansion slots cost 100 lapis :v:

Yeah, but I'd rather use that for Daily Half Pulls. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also those look like 5% moogles? Or am I wrong?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Yeah, those are 5% moogles.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Love to pull Black Cat Lid #11.

At least I pulled a Pirate Joke. No Nichol.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Reminder that today and tomorrow are the last days for Halloween dungeons, including getting and spending skeleton keys. Make sure to use 'em all before they become 10 gil fodder!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The biggest problem with the new 7* system, as well as any other gacha game that uses the dupe-eating bullshit, is that it removes the 'grand prize' feeling of getting that unit you wanted.

Before:
"A rainbow? HELL YES IT'S [on banner unit I wanted]! :woop:"

Now:
"A rainbow? Hell yeah I got [on banner unit I wanted] and now I just need to pull another one for them to be worthwhile... :sigh:"

This isn't an exaggeration either. Squall's 6* looks like it is either on par with, or potentially inferior to, Cloud's 6* form. To say nothing of OP-as-poo poo 6* units or CG Reagan/Sakura/Fina-tier stuff. If Gumi actually gets more generous then maybe it won't be as much of an issue but I still wish Japan's government considered "evo requires dupes" to violate their Kompu Gacha laws.

Shoenin posted:

Another DC Arable land for farming? Didnt Infinite Crisis tell em it wasn't gonna work since the Market was oversaturated and its 90% Dota and League dominance anyways?

I gave up on FFRK when it gave me 6 or so tellah sticks for 400 mythril.
All I wanted was Titan :(

Also for people who haven't played FFRK:

If you want a relic that isn't on a banner you are poo poo out of luck. Off-banner relics can happen, in theory. In reality it's some lottery-grade odds of happening, whereas FFBE is more than happy to give you that Queen or Lightning you've always wanted when you finally pull a rainbow.. :confuoot:

Tengames posted:

If you want to quit, do it now.Any TMs you grind, any upcoming banners, any event gear you could obtain, will pale in comparison to a loving 7* Lightning or Delita of all things. If all else, I will have the stuff to get a 7* dark fina and delita that could help clear content if you need to catch up then, and a few other people here will be more then happy to re-add you to friends lists and do the same.

This isn't entirely true. Lila is still stupidly powerful and will probably remain so for awhile but that's more due to Alim making her insanely overpowered and I wouldn't be surprised if Gumi nerfs the hell out of her when we get Sephiroth's banner, because Gumi hates fun (see: My Alza Masta mention previously).

The era of 7* is going to really get underway with the 2nd or 3rd batch. Especially if it includes a 7* for anyone like Ayaka/Kunshira/Lila or the CG units.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well its not just Sara, but a meta comp with Sara and someone using Fenrir can bypass a bunch of bullshit like Iron Giants aoe phys attack. I also saw it being used on that coffin 10 man and on shiva 3*

Niche setups will always exist. Like how a T.Terra can solo 3* Golem since she can get 200% earth resist and 100% dodge with the right gear in Japan, IIRC.

Agreed posted:

Folks talking about this being a good year for real games too, man it seems like everybody is getting in on the "games as service" and card pack / gacha-esque monetization. Not my meme but if Megaman X were designed in 2017:

It is a good year for real games, mainly because of Nintendo and the Switch being disgustingly good.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Scrublord Prime posted:

Reminder that today and tomorrow are the last days for Halloween dungeons, including getting and spending skeleton keys. Make sure to use 'em all before they become 10 gil fodder!

The in-game dates say 11/4, so doesn't that mean they'll also be up Friday? Or am I crazy?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Nephrite posted:

The in-game dates say 11/4, so doesn't that mean they'll also be up Friday? Or am I crazy?

It'll be up Friday until 01:59 pacific time so you are correct but it's also just for two hours. Basically whenever you'd get the new banner of the week is when the Halloween event ends.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Last day to clear out your mog king currency!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
finally got that nightmare trial down, holy poo poo that sucked.

I really hate having to reboot the app if i gently caress up a chain, but I had no choice here. once that bastard gets under 60% there's just way too much upkeep to approach it endurance style. it was burn or be burned. 2 perfect chains from a pair of Onion Bros managed to do it, but that was incredibly annoying.

on the bright side, it sure feels good to hit a 64-chain manually

edit: 2 out of my 3 tickets were loving Black Cat Lid. final one was Edge for the extra troll. no sign of pirate jake. all out of lapis. gently caress time limited units, they shouldn't have loving BiS tmrs. Gumi!!!!! :catstare:

new kind of cat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2017

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The biggest problem with the new 7* system, as well as any other gacha game that uses the dupe-eating bullshit, is that it removes the 'grand prize' feeling of getting that unit you wanted.

Before:
"A rainbow? HELL YES IT'S [on banner unit I wanted]! :woop:"

Now:
"A rainbow? Hell yeah I got [on banner unit I wanted] and now I just need to pull another one for them to be worthwhile... :sigh:"

Yeah, this. Right now, non-whales can luck out and draw super-powerful units. With 7*, especially at these 5* rates, it feels like there's not even a point pulling because the odds of pulling two of anything are vanishingly low without throwing all your saved-up tickets and lapis at a banner. Even if it's technically possible to beat most things without a 7*, removing the chance to pull a top-tier unit makes playing much less fun.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, it sucks. Even with the step up, "a few" 11 pulls are still $100 or more. Right now, those few pulls will probably get you nothing of value, maybe an on banner 4*. Prices are ridiculously bad and being a dolphin doesn't get you much.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It inverts what used to be seen as good vs. bad luck - now people with 4x of the same unit have gone from unlucky bastards to some of the few lucky ones if they're not whales

it fucks pulling up for me 100% - I am not willing at any point to commit to needing 2x of a 5* or greater rarity unit, let alone 4x to get the unit at it's full power. That's loving ridiculous, they're upping the ante tremendously in terms of what they expect players to be willing to put up with

They must have some real confidence that their big spenders are hooked and willing to pursue this new, more exclusive direction...

I'll keep TMRing and running free events 'til I don't find the bosses fun (getting close already), but they've had the last money from me they're ever going to get unless Gumi outright says they're not doing compu gacha in their implementation of 7* units. I have nothing at all against 7* progression and the game creeping ever onward, even if it happens kinda fast - power creep does not inherently kill games. Balancing them and designing them around a predatory model that then requires you to make SHITLOADS of compromises in terms of the quality of the overall experience, that kills a game

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 1, 2017

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The thing is, I already have plenty of dupe 5* units that I could use to catapult myself forward when 7* awakenings happen: 3x DV, 3x Fohlen, 2x Rem, 2x Lightning, 2x Ace, 2x Aileen, and 2x Tidus.

But, I like having dupes! They're fun!

They chain very well together and oftentimes they come with really good skill-sets beyond just chaining/finishing too. Just give me a "slow painful" way to awaken 6* to 7* and also to get their dumb super TMR that doesn't involve crunching 5* units and I'll be totally fine with all of this crap.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The first thing I did when I started this game was pull two Ayakas. The second one seemed unnecessary, but now I feel like it will have purpose. Although, I’m skeptical as to how game-changing taking a healer from 6* to 7* would be, unless it makes her even more ridiculously good at healing?

Also should I be outfitting her in any specia way or focus on other units?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
If Marie is any indication then yes it's just going to make her more ridiculous at healing.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

In reality it's some lottery-grade odds of happening, whereas FFBE is more than happy to give you that Queen or Lightning you've always wanted when you finally pull a rainbow.. :confuoot:

Incidentally, now you actually want a Queen given her 7* form being a surprise hit. Also Lightning, but not to the same degree. I'm not actually sure who got the worst deal out of 7*; Onion Knight maybe in terms of not all that exciting upgrades?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Is there any sure way of beating the Pumpking Reaper? He keeps annihilating me with that attack power of his even if I set up anti-debuff protection. I may have to give up at this rate considering what a pain it is to open his stage in the first place. :(

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I barely managed to kill him in a few turns with 2 Aileens using Light weapons. If I remember correctly he can't be DEF broken so it was pretty much hoping for the best and hoping he didn't get a big Reap Blood off, as that seemed to be his most damaging move.

I made one run at the King and that seemed impossible :v:

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

Is there any sure way of beating the Pumpking Reaper? He keeps annihilating me with that attack power of his even if I set up anti-debuff protection. I may have to give up at this rate considering what a pain it is to open his stage in the first place. :(

I think the standard approach was Rikku to HypernulAll and LB, Lasswell w/ Pod153 to P.shield, healer, buffer, and 2x Orlandeau-types.
I used T.Terra + Friend instead in my first run. To get the lb kill on my second run I swapped Lasswell for WoL and ran my 900atk Agrias with a 1.1K atk Friendlandeau.

If you can't run two chainers in the 900+ range, I still have a T.Terra up who apparently can do it if you have a unit hide until the 5-turn doom hits and raise her. Also, Dana has a better Noctis build who doesn't need the phoenix down?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

PDQ Law posted:

I think the standard approach was Rikku to HypernulAll and LB, Lasswell w/ Pod153 to P.shield, healer, buffer, and 2x Orlandeau-types.
I used T.Terra + Friend instead in my first run. To get the lb kill on my second run I swapped Lasswell for WoL and ran my 900atk Agrias with a 1.1K atk Friendlandeau.

If you can't run two chainers in the 900+ range, I still have a T.Terra up who apparently can do it if you have a unit hide until the 5-turn doom hits and raise her. Also, Dana has a better Noctis build who doesn't need the phoenix down?

So basically a Trust Mastery I don't have and can never get and two of a particular character type I don't have. Great. That's... great.

(Well okay that's not true, I HAVE Agrias, I just don't have the mats to get Divine Retribution to where it needs to be.)

May have to go for the latter. I really hope they don't keep up this trend of having to jump through a bunch of different hoops just to get one attempt at something. Then again, Gumi. What's your friend code? I'm trying to use Soleil for buffing as well but I'm still in the "not quite good enough" tier re: healing, even though I do have Rikku.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You should be able to whittle him down and then use Rikku's LB before the 5 turn Doom goes off, reviving your team.

What're the rest of your units like?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, this morning when I went to get on after last night's maintenance, I just keep getting a message that FFBE is not compatible with my phone (Samsung S7 Edge) despite the fact that I've been playing since release right up until maintenance. The only things I can find online for this is people saying to either update my phone, which it actually did during maintenance, or download the game again from somewhere other than the Google Play store. Has anyone else had this problem? Because I haven't missed a login day since September 2016 and I'm really, really getting pissed at the thought of not only breaking that streak but losing access to everything on my loving account.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, this morning when I went to get on after last night's maintenance, I just keep getting a message that FFBE is not compatible with my phone (Samsung S7 Edge) despite the fact that I've been playing since release right up until maintenance. The only things I can find online for this is people saying to either update my phone, which it actually did during maintenance, or download the game again from somewhere other than the Google Play store. Has anyone else had this problem? Because I haven't missed a login day since September 2016 and I'm really, really getting pissed at the thought of not only breaking that streak but losing access to everything on my loving account.

Well, if you are adamant about not missing a login day and it is linked to a Facebook account you can always put memu or nox on a computer and load the game from there.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

So basically a Trust Mastery I don't have and can never get and two of a particular character type I don't have. Great. That's... great.

(Well okay that's not true, I HAVE Agrias, I just don't have the mats to get Divine Retribution to where it needs to be.)

May have to go for the latter. I really hope they don't keep up this trend of having to jump through a bunch of different hoops just to get one attempt at something. Then again, Gumi. What's your friend code? I'm trying to use Soleil for buffing as well but I'm still in the "not quite good enough" tier re: healing, even though I do have Rikku.

In my defense, you were asking for the sure win. The reason for the Pod is to give Lasswell something to do and he takes the place of your tank. You can swap WoL for either Lasswell or your buffer and you don't need the Pod, if you don't care about the tickets or can get by without the buffs, but you need cover or mitigation for the aoe attack. The problem with sacrifcing damage output is spending too long in his MP drain phase.

Also, it's basically a 80 nrg trial, so I think some difficulty is warranted.

I'm in the goon list up top but I'm probably full right now. When I get home I'll free up a spot.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'm probably going to be bailing on this game for the foreseeable future. Would those of y'all on my friends list like a ~1100 atk OK with Excalibur or an enhanced T Terra with about 970 magic?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Based on all the events, is today actually an optimal time to try an injector site for the first time? (for-real question)

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
If you spend a decent amount of money, you get 2 strikes anyway so go ahead I guess?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
What self-serve injectors actually work nowadays? Sites I'm seeing are red-flag farms so far...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AegisP posted:

Incidentally, now you actually want a Queen given her 7* form being a surprise hit. Also Lightning, but not to the same degree. I'm not actually sure who got the worst deal out of 7*; Onion Knight maybe in terms of not all that exciting upgrades?

Queen's 7* makes me a little happier about the 3 of her I have. Though it'd be hard for a 7* to not be good right now.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

suuma posted:

You should be able to whittle him down and then use Rikku's LB before the 5 turn Doom goes off, reviving your team.

What're the rest of your units like?

WoL or Veritas of the Earth for defense, Soleil for buffing, Lasswell has to take up the mantle of offense but he also has Rikku's pouch, and Refia for oh god heal heal HEAL.

I still haven't decided re: tank. WoL tanks more damage in theory, but V. Earth can prevent status debuffs, and both of them go down like a punk if they actually block party damage.

PDQ Law posted:

In my defense, you were asking for the sure win. The reason for the Pod is to give Lasswell something to do and he takes the place of your tank. You can swap WoL for either Lasswell or your buffer and you don't need the Pod, if you don't care about the tickets or can get by without the buffs, but you need cover or mitigation for the aoe attack. The problem with sacrifcing damage output is spending too long in his MP drain phase.

Also, it's basically a 80 nrg trial, so I think some difficulty is warranted.

I'm in the goon list up top but I'm probably full right now. When I get home I'll free up a spot.

Yeah but can't I just pay the 80 up front? It's mostly just frustrating when I build up all the keys and get punked in like round 3.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

WoL or Veritas of the Earth for defense, Soleil for buffing, Lasswell has to take up the mantle of offense but he also has Rikku's pouch, and Refia for oh god heal heal HEAL.

I still haven't decided re: tank. WoL tanks more damage in theory, but V. Earth can prevent status debuffs, and both of them go down like a punk if they actually block party damage.

Yeah but can't I just pay the 80 up front? It's mostly just frustrating when I build up all the keys and get punked in like round 3.

Freed a space and my friend code is 364 859 209

My suggested instructions for T.Terra are in the thread, but the quick summary:
Bring a phoenix down, have someone like Xon hide until TTerra dies from the doom and raise her.
At 100-50% and 20-0%, cycle through 1) Magi Awakening, 2) dual 0MP chaos waves, sometimes 3) dual 35MP chaos wave awakened.
At 50-20% cycle through 1) Magi Awakening, 2) dual chaos wave or dualcast Drain and/or Osmose, 3) dual chaos wave awkd or dualcast Drain and/or Osmose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you’ve got that itch to visit the Lapis store, wait till the Black Friday sale hits at the end of the month. Last year was pretty good, I googled it up if you want a reminder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5enop0/gl_black_friday_sale_1124_1130/
Fixed the wrong link.

Ignore the daily whale chest items, if they do that again it will definitely be powercreeped.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 2, 2017

• Locked thread