Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

The idea that F1 has ceded significant amounts of fans to other racing series is really, really funny to me. F1 is more popular now than it's ever been, that doesn't always translate to fans in seats at overpriced grands prix, or measurable viewers on overpriced TV packages.

But everyone on Reddit watches Formula E!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please stop reminding me Reddit exists

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The late 90s is now seen as some kind of silver age for the sport and at the time every pundit was predicting the Death of Formula One because nobody was overtaking. I still remember everyone freaking out after the 1999 Spanish GP which I think featured one (1) on-track overtake.

There are now people who look fondly upon 2004 season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Single Turbo on non Inline 4 engines has always struck me as odd...lag has almost always been an issue. CART ran Single Turbo 2.65L non-intercooled V8s for 30 years and had to resort to various types of fuckery and years of development to make them driveable. Renault's Initial V6 Turbo was single-Turbo only; I imagine that configuration was abandoned rapidly due to throttle response.

Honda also ran single-turbo in Indy when the V6 era started, then moved to twins like Chevy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

At least you can take joy that Crapwagon is dead.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Ferrari dominance years generally had poo poo racing with some pretty ugly-rear end cars in the earlier years (2000-2002). I do like the 2000,2001, and 2003 seasons though.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Theophany posted:

Do it you goddamn fuckmen! :fap:

That's far too sexy to be a McLaren

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t get it either. You don’t only have to like one thing.

But then again I live in the UK where what sport you watch live depends on if you went with BT sports or Sky sports. Sky has the F1 and does not have MotoGP, NASCAR, Indycar, or the rallying. It does have many other international sports though, just not those with wheels.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Norns posted:

Hello r/formula1,

I don't post on any sub often, but I feel I need to share my opinion on this subject. I have been watching F1 since the beginning of the 1998 season, and have loved following this sub over the last couple years. I have been a Ferrari fan since I started watching as a kid, and have always wanted them to win. Every time. I loved every race of Schumacher's championships, even if they were boring. He was my idol.
I wanted Seb to win this year. I desperately wanted Ferrari to have another world championship, and a German driver made it that much more proper in my mind. This fact has made Lewis Hamilton the enemy since Australia 2007. The same way that 1998-1999 made Mika the enemy almost a decade earlier. But Lewis won this year. Fair and square.

Even though I hate to admit it, Lewis is one of the best of all time. He has talent seeping from his pores and I hate it, but I can't deny it. I despised Häkkinen in a similar way for being one of the most sensational drivers I've ever watched. They are only two of many drivers I have seen best Ferrari.

But as a Ferrari fan I have to say that without these great rivals, thier success would mean nothing. Congrats HAM fans. I hope we beat you next year :P

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think Lewis will beat Schumi's records but he might. The thing is that these years where you get the best car by far and win 10 GPs every year just don't last forever. Eventually someone will dethrone Mercedes, like what happened to Ferrari in 2005, Williams in 1998, and McLaren in 1991/1992.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brainwrong posted:

Hello r/formula1,

I don't post on any sub often, but I feel I need to share my opinion on this subject. I have been watching F1 since the beginning of the 1998 season, and have loved following this sub over the last couple years. I have been a Ferrari fan since I started watching as a kid, and have always wanted them to win. Every time. I loved every race of Schumacher's championships, even if they were boring. He was my idol.
I wanted Seb to win this year. I desperately wanted Ferrari to have another world championship, and a German driver made it that much more proper in my mind. This fact has made Lewis Hamilton the enemy since Australia 2007. The same way that 1998-1999 made Mika the enemy almost a decade earlier. But Lewis won this year. Fair and square.

Even though I hate to admit it, Lewis is one of the best of all time. He has talent seeping from his pores and I hate it, but I can't deny it. I despised Häkkinen in a similar way for being one of the most sensational drivers I've ever watched. They are only two of many drivers I have seen best Ferrari.

But as a Ferrari fan I have to say that without these great rivals, thier success would mean nothing. Congrats HAM fans. I hope we beat you next year :P

Delete this crap

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brainwrong posted:

That's far too sexy to be a McLaren

I know it's for branding reasons, but that shade of orange with the red McLaren swooshes don't go well at all. They should definitely go with papaya and navy like they did for indy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like people citing like Audi "entering" Formula E as some kind of sign that it's the sport of the future ignoring that FE is basically spec and the cost of entry is still incredibly low. Basically it's in the Supertouring 1992/late 90s World Rally Car stage of a formula, and neither of those lasted too long.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't be arsed to watch FE.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've said over and over again: Formula E is a tech demo, not a real series. The second the idea of an all-electric series becomes genuinely feasible, they'll just fold their tech into F1 and die.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Formula e is a bunch of F1 rejects having a laugh driving oversized karts. It's entertaining but it's never going to have the drama of a proper series because the stakes are so low.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I want the roborace more than I want formula e.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like people citing like Audi "entering" Formula E as some kind of sign that it's the sport of the future ignoring that FE is basically spec and the cost of entry is still incredibly low. Basically it's in the Supertouring 1992/late 90s World Rally Car stage of a formula, and neither of those lasted too long.

Class 1 Touring cars were interesting but also led to current DTM - world's worst racing series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CratSock posted:

Congratulations... you're both right! Passing, proper battles to get to the pass, those are the most interesting parts of the race. Let's fix that. I don't care if they race with plutonium powered Mr. Fusion engines. Honestly V6/8/10/12 whatever. As long as it makes good power and the cars are reasonably fast, just go with it. Whatever formula they choose will still have a suffocating fuel flow attached to it, so it might not even matter, unless they bump up the impact of the electric motors.

Lewis vs Fernando on Sunday was probably the best part of that race apart from the opening lap. I wholeheartedly agree that the best parts of the race are the parts where people are fighting for position.

e: it's why Monaco is boring as poo poo. That track is too narrow for today's cars.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 1, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Class 1 Touring cars were interesting but also led to current DTM - world's worst racing series.

Coupe DTM back when the series was relaunched and supposed to be cheap was actually really fun

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
http://winfieldracingschool.com/driving-experiences/

€9000 to drive a 2012 Lotus/Renault. I'd do that

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

learnincurve posted:

Sinclair C5 your time is now.

I wanted one of those so bad as a kid

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I read it and it's tough to say how right he is without knowing more about the situation. If the regulations were presented on the grounds of "You'll be able to keep the same engine block you have now so don't worry about costs" he has a point. Enough fundamentally critical components are changing that we are going to see all new engines come out of these regs.

I also think we are going to see an arms race solving the turbo lag issue if that proposal goes forward.

An arms race to solve turbo lag would be cool as gently caress. I know the variable vane turbos exist currently in a super small handful of production cars, but seeing the crazy solutions F1 teams would pump out has me at full chub

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Formula E is for mid level tech and auto corporations to network at, because they can’t afford to do it at the formula 1. Loads of small race series all over the world exist for the exact same reason.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but don’t lose sight of the fact that the fans on the TV and the people hanging out in the paddock are there for very different reasons, and much as we don’t like it F1 exists because of the corporations not because of the fans.

Bernie did this. F1 could have gone the same way as football where the money comes from companies wanting to sell things to the fans, Bernie wanted all the money to go to Bernie.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, are they banning the split turbo for the new regs or will it still be allowed? Because a variable vane split turbo is entirely my poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

Bernie did this. F1 could have gone the same way as football where the money comes from companies wanting to sell things to the fans, Bernie wanted all the money to go to Bernie.

the last few engine reg changes (under bernie) were specifically to get automobile companies involved in the sport

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Bernie always saw F1 as being a sort of exclusive members club, that was the point. He deliberately organised it in a fan-unfriendly fashion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the last few engine reg changes (under bernie) were specifically to get automobile companies involved in the sport

Only way new automobile companies were ever going to get involved in the sport when it was on Bernie’s watch was if he dropped dead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MZ posted:

Bernie always saw F1 as being a sort of exclusive members club, that was the point. He deliberately organised it in a fan-unfriendly fashion.

Which is probably why Liberty's changes are so well received, well, what they could do anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The recession had a big effect on participation in all motorsport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can we say Peak Bernie F1 Elitism is scheduling Baku opposite Le Mans?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

iospace posted:

Can we say Peak Bernie F1 Elitism is scheduling Baku opposite Le Mans?

Peak Bernie F1 Elitism was taking money from Baku in the first place.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Remember when Bernie praised Hitler before the German GP haha

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Remember when Bernie praised Hitler before the German GP haha

He did sort of have a point

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Formula e is a bunch of F1 rejects having a laugh driving oversized karts. It's entertaining but it's never going to have the drama of a proper series because the stakes are so low.

I would watch Formula E if it wasn't for the stupid, STUPID car change. Like holy poo poo is there anything less cool than watching a driver jump out of a car and waddle over to a new one in a "race". Develop battery packs that can be hotswapped in something resembling a proper pit stop and you immediately add another layer of legitimacy to what is essentially Formula Musical Chairs

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

NtotheTC posted:

I would watch Formula E if it wasn't for the stupid, STUPID car change.

And the awful music

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

At least FE are getting batteries that last a whole race next season.

btw, attrition racing owns

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

And the awful music

And the awful cars. They look like if the company behind Mega Bloks and Roseart made knock-off Hot Wheels cars. Toasty Circles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Attrition racing?

A whole field of Maldonados?

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Question, are they banning the split turbo for the new regs or will it still be allowed? Because a variable vane split turbo is entirely my poo poo.

Oh jeeesus :awesome: the auto tuning enthusiast in me is rock hard at that concept

• Locked thread