Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Mustang posted:

I don't think silver spurs have much in common at all with the EIB.

Don't get me wrong, getting silver ones loving sucks. We rucked about 40 miles in 36 hours for mine. But the only real requirement for getting them was getting a 270 or higher on the APFT and not quitting during the rest of the spur ride. Or falling out when poo poo sucks.

But it's just a gut check, or at least the one we did was.

We have EIA which is basically just replacing infantry 10 level tasks with scout 10 level tasks and a lot of other poo poo is identical to the EIB, we ran that earlier this year.

what the gently caress is EIA, and I was just saying the comparison. Silver spurs were kinda of meh when everyone had the first gold spurs in decades. I don't feel that there is nearly as much as reverence put on either because spurs aren't even real anyhow, its not like you get points or they go on your erb/orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Mustang, show us your stetson

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Don't worry, POG-ier units have their own dumb bullshit.

A Patriot missile battery/BN Table 12 is some big, dumb badge of honor. It's a night movement in all MOPP 4 where you pretend you got slimed, move a missile battery to a new location, set up a new site, and establish comms, then fight a simulated air battle equivalent to being attacked by a couple nation's air forces all by yourself. Meanwhile you fail if a single vehicle on site has any deadline at all, up to some rando HMMWV having a flat, or if someone like... trips on a wire or rock with no resultant injury.

They made it so dumb and hard that it's the thing of legends that no one really does, because we know it's stupid and is likely to result in either abject failure or an injury/damage.

I very nearly had to do one as an LT in theater until the Air Force was like "no, that sounds super dumb, keep pulling mission"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
the big one thing if you were nbc decon was doing 24hr straight decon lines, IE mopping vehicles down. Thank christ i was no decon.

I was Recon, driving around in a "this kinda looks like a brdm please kill me"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

A Patriot missile battery/BN Table 12 is some big, dumb badge of honor. It's a night movement in all MOPP 4 where you pretend you got slimed, move a missile battery to a new location, set up a new site, and establish comms, then fight a simulated air battle equivalent to being attacked by a couple nation's air forces all by yourself. Meanwhile you fail if a single vehicle on site has any deadline at all, up to some rando HMMWV having a flat, or if someone like... trips on a wire or rock with no resultant injury.

They made it so dumb and hard that it's the thing of legends that no one really does, because we know it's stupid and is likely to result in either abject failure or an injury/damage.

I very nearly had to do one as an LT in theater until the Air Force was like "no, that sounds super dumb, keep pulling mission"

One of my buddies is an old Patriot officer and has this messed up patrol cap framed on his wall. Apparently they put it under a rocket or something? And it's special?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
When I was a very, very angry battle captain at one point, I put an OP DECON into the mission rehearsal exercise for my least favorite unit, because they just absolutely refused to play ball with literally anything. It was initially blessed off, but later cooler heads reduced it to like 4 or 5 vehicles and 20 pax. That probably still super sucked for them.

That same field problem I got to spend like 2 weeks in a bunk playing video games on a laptop, because I was slated for transfer, but my CDR didn't want to let me leave early, but also they'd made me turn in all my equipment and my weapon and everything else, so I did maybe 1-2 hours of work per day, which was mostly fun stuff like training people on how to pew pew. Then I'd go sit in my bunk and play more video games. BN S3 caught me and was just like "drat, that's a good gig, rock on!"

He called me a couple years ago and was like "hahahaha, how the gently caress are you still in after that bullshit?"

I dunno, sir :smith:

spacetoaster posted:

One of my buddies is an old Patriot officer and has this messed up patrol cap framed on his wall. Apparently they put it under a rocket or something? And it's special?

I've seen that done before. Missiles are expensive and some people toss a PC into the blast zone so they have a hosed up PC souvenir. I've seen some from combat zones, where they admittedly left that poo poo there for hours or days before a combat shot, rather than stupidly sprinting up to a launcher while a SCUD is inbound. Most are from test shots, which is like "whoop-de-doo" imo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

My old firstline was ex-Patriot Missile. No loving wonder he did stupid goddamn stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

My old firstline was ex-Patriot Missile. No loving wonder he did stupid goddamn stuff.

I had very hot and cold times in Patriot. (I really liked fighting the weapon system, it was fun to me, but I'm weird in that respect). That said, it was a hell of a breath of fresh air when I went to a more maneuver-adjacent short-range unit, and also I've seen some just really dumb poo poo lately in Patriot. Some of it is that the ADA force is still doing 12 month deployments on almost a one on, one off cycle, but other dumb poo poo is kind of baked in at some level. I've definitely seen some people playing the "it sucked for me, so it'll suck for you" game in adjacent units.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I do the jerk off motion so hard to anyone who says EIB is hard, I witnessed about 10 guys just get walked through to the end of a lane and signed off no questions asked without even doing the event. Can you run and ruck? Congrats you got an EIB.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Justin Tyme posted:

I do the jerk off motion so hard to anyone who says EIB is hard, I witnessed about 10 guys just get walked through to the end of a lane and signed off no questions asked without even doing the event. Can you run and ruck? Congrats you got an EIB.

Your poo poo was an anomaly then. I videotaped tons of poo poo like that and never saw anyone get a “pass” for whatever.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This one time, in the army, I jerked off.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

This one time, in the army, I jerked off.

Were you only in the army for an hour?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
EIB can get stupid because of badge protecting. I only got the chance to do it once when I was a PFC or SPC. I failed the NVG lane because I had never used a PVS7 and only used 14s. I apparently didn’t push in the rubberized eye piece when I was adjusting the focus for use as the 14s are a single tube. Automatic no-go, we deployed then I went to a CAV Squadron and was never given an EIB again. Did the spur ride and it was equally stupid but no one went out of their way to make sure you didn’t get your spurs.

As for Chem, I actually was relieved of my platoon for 2 or 3 hours because I pulled one of my Soldiers out of MOPP4 and full kit in a summer FTX at Fort Stewart. He was exhibiting signs of heat exhaustion. My Co CDR relieved me because I wasn’t cut out to be a PL or some nonsense. My Platoon Sergeant then took everyone out of suit because he had my back. The Company Commander threatened the other platoon leaders with my relief. 6 Soldiers then suffered a heat injury, two of which hit heat stroke and ended up ending their military careers. The 1SG ended up calling the BC directly so the CO was relieved and I was reinstated. The sad thing is that’s not even the worst Chemical Corps experience I had.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

As for Chem, I actually was relieved of my platoon for 2 or 3 hours because I pulled one of my Soldiers out of MOPP4 and full kit in a summer FTX at Fort Stewart. He was exhibiting signs of heat exhaustion. My Co CDR relieved me because I wasn’t cut out to be a PL or some nonsense. My Platoon Sergeant then took everyone out of suit because he had my back. The Company Commander threatened the other platoon leaders with my relief. 6 Soldiers then suffered a heat injury, two of which hit heat stroke and ended up ending their military careers. The 1SG ended up calling the BC directly so the CO was relieved and I was reinstated. The sad thing is that’s not even the worst Chemical Corps experience I had.

What a loving shitshow.

At BOLC II, the unit starting the 12 mile ruck 30 minutes behind us kept bragging that they were going to pass us. They did with plenty of time to spare, but about 15% of their formation fell out and failed the event, and we ended up treating two from their unit with severe heat injuries or stroke that they just left on the side of the road for us to find. NCOIC of that group was immediately relieved and facing UCMJ. I know for a fact that one of the heat casualties had to be medically separated, the other was still in question when I left, but he ended up being held at BOLC II after graduation, either way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lmao BOLC II. We had a guy who decided that pass limits were for suckers, so he went somewhere in FL (Panama City Beach, I think?), fight the cops while hammered, get arrested/charged, got a GOMR, and was still being held there when everyone else graduated.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The sad thing is that’s not even the worst Chemical Corps experience I had.

I'm so loving glad that I got out of 51st before having to move to Stewart

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thanks Army for loving me out of Christmas block leave after my friends made arrangements to come out here because we have red cycle tasks for the second Christmas in a row

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

Thanks Army for loving me out of Christmas block leave after my friends made arrangements to come out here because we have red cycle tasks for the second Christmas in a row

I think it's time to move your av to the next phase

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Up the bum no baby has an excellent point

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I think it's time to move your av to the next phase

I think he still needs to deal with a felony in his platoon first.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang, I wanted to go through your posts in this thread and reconstruct the comic with your posts in place of the frames...but that just got too depressing. It's the exact same progression that most of us went through at some time or another, my posts from right before commissioning up until getting the gently caress out of the army would probably slide into those frames just as well as yours would, if not better (unless you had morons getting some of your former soldiers killed in theater too).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I think he still needs to deal with a felony in his platoon first.

4 DUIs and a skipped child support payment equals one armed robbery. As long as he has those to trade in I think he's good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll make a transparent one if that's preferred

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Needs his unit crest behind it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

psydude posted:

4 DUIs and a skipped child support payment equals one armed robbery. As long as he has those to trade in I think he's good.
Or one soldier bringing an eight ball to the field and another hitting his wife with a car.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let's go with "a soldier gets into a shouting match with his that's loud enough for someone to call the MPs, throws an old CRT TV at his wife, then when the MPs arrive walks outside and say 'YEA I FUCKIN' HIT HER!'" to round it all out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I'll make a transparent one if that's preferred

Facing right like the current one?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Can that face be wearing some army gear and staring at a DA31 with "DENIED" written across it

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeris posted:

Can that face be wearing some army gear and staring at a DA31 with "DENIED" written across it

lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Yeah give me a few minutes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not in my Platoon but my sister platoon has so many issues that I sometimes have to deal with theirs. I’ve had to do commanders inquiries and poo poo.

I don’t get why the lifers have such a huge boner for social events. drat near weekly I have to waste a night after work. If you skip one you get a stern talking to. LTs that make a habit of not going to them are treated like the black sheep of the unit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

:perfect:

Zeris make a new army thread and close this one to frame that please

E: I’ll eat a month prob if you do so at least someone can go on holiday block leave

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 1, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

good god

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fuckin nice. I was going to suggest a welcome to fort irwin sign but this is really good.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Is there a high res copy for the new thread?

can we bribe EBB to make variants for fun like a DA 705 (pt scorecard) that has been pencil whipped by an illiterate, or a barely readable tiny font block of text containing his posts like

3months of posting posted:

A pretty decent chunk of the white enlisted population on JBLM hate WA state for how liberal it is. Pretty much the only reason I ever hear for why WA sucks is because of all the liberals. Some officers hold the same opinions but they’re much better at keeping those opinions to themselves Does it suck wearing a IOTV while inside a Stryker? Yes it does. Makes perfect sense why a CSM would want you to wear it. Taking care of soldiers hooah Jesus Christ I loving hate sergeant majors At NTC we were originally allowed plate carriers for force on force and IOTVs for live fire but then it changed plate carriers for everything from the BDE commander. I think for you guys it was just CSMs, the most useless rank I think in the Army, reminding everybody that they exist. As a LTC While everyone else deploys Ill just continue to train up for NTC, go to NTC, train for NTC, go to NTC n the field outside and cold so you're wearing your beanie? You can't wear them anymore. Dudes at the Staff duty desk bored all day and on their cell phones? You can't use your cell phone anymore, read a military book or FM. Recently spent money on a unit hoodie to wear to PT? Well now you I wish the Army would just hire civilians for staff duty so that I stop getting surprise staff duty shifts on the weekend And it's a weekend right after getting back from NTC so I'm sure some dumb rear end will go do something completely loving retarded that no moderately intelligent person would ever ASU's look horrible and I can't believe somebody blessed off on those being adopted by the Army. When I get out of the Army I'd sooner keep some torn up multicam uniform than I would ASU's. It's pretty weird how offended higher ups in the Army can be that I'm 30 years old with no wife and kids, that I'm somehow failing at life for actually enjoying myself on my weekends Other BNs get to drink this weekend but of course mine decides we're not adult enough to do so I'd rather not have my platoon think I'm losing my mind It's really irritating fighting NTC opfor because they engage you from twice your effective range with invisible miles lasers and no signature effects and your OC is like "sir you need to maneuver on the enemy!" while my Platoon hid behind some IV lines and my dismounts pushed out to ID where the gently caress being UMO, get here first and leave last

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

:q:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I have to go to some meetings now, maybe later. Also the scaling for the PL will look like poo poo since I know dick about vectorizing images.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Guys my chain of command is really cool and really seems to care about its soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Guys my chain of command is really cool and really seems to care about its soldiers

loving :laffo: