Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.

GobiasIndustries posted:

she knows he's cheap and a sleezeball. She doesn't need anything beyond a hot real estate agent to know what's up.

Right, I guess she called his bluff and bought the house when she realized he was just 'looking for a house' to get with the hot agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Am I the only one who thinks that this episode was kinda bad and a little bit TOO tonally off?

The fact that you're having a lot of this take place at a funeral of an 18 year old kid is extremely morbid....which is OK with me, but you need to be willing to commit to the dark comedy of it all completely if you want to go there. Just having it set there and then having random unrelated wacky hijinks ensue was a little unsatisfactory. It just feels like there was a lot more they could have done with it, especially since Larry was indirectly responsible by introducing the kid to the prostitute, and then at one point expressed that he thought the kid brought it on himself by deciding to run with the bulls. Something could have been done there.

Another thing that was weird was the fact that the way the funeral was set up, it seemed like Marty was his closest relative. (he was seated in the very front, the first person called up to speak, etc). Where are his parents? There was no indication previously that his parents were out of the picture and Marty was the one raising him or anything like that. Wouldn't it be funnier and more dark comedy boundary-pushing to go all the way and have Larry's hijinks juxtaposed against parents grieving for their dead teenage son? It seemed like a half-measure to ignore the parent question entirely.

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow. The show works much better if A) Larry is being ridiculous about something and the person he's talking to is a straight man, or B) The "straight man" in question is behaving in a manner that actually resembles what people do in real life, and Larry is calling them out on the inherent silliness/hypocrisy of it. But it doesn't make any sense if the straight man does something ridiculous or has ridiculous standards that no real person would ever have.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 23, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Otterspace posted:

Right, I guess she called his bluff and bought the house when she realized he was just 'looking for a house' to get with the hot agent.

Yeah it was 100% a "I can't prove you've been getting your dick wet, but I can make you pay for it" move

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Larry berating the crying woman at the funeral was too far even for Larry, but all around a solid episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bbf2 posted:

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow.

Have you never seen this show before?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't believe HBO thought this transphobic joke was acceptable in tyool 2017

but I guess they've always been the "edgy" comedy channel

Hello, I hope you enjoyed your first viewing of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you haven’t figured it out, the show centers around an ignorant rear end in a top hat who cannot be bothered to understand social norms, especially as they relate to people that aren’t from a similar background to himself. The punchline is almost always that he is completely in the wrong.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's Super-loving-Dave Osborne - of course he's gonna be up there first.

This episode loving slayed from start to finish. What an amazing flurry of jokes. This was peak LD in my opinion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bbf2 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that this episode was kinda bad and a little bit TOO tonally off?

I looked at older episodes for reference, and they were balanced with, like, 50/50 Larry being a dick/obnoxious and him getting bad stuff thrust upon him even when it's not his fault and he's in the right. This was around 100 percent Larry being a dick/obnoxious, so it is a little different.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Darko posted:

I looked at older episodes for reference, and they were balanced with, like, 50/50 Larry being a dick/obnoxious and him getting bad stuff thrust upon him even when it's not his fault and he's in the right. This was around 100 percent Larry being a dick/obnoxious, so it is a little different.

He's right that Richard constantly stealing the better lunch seat is a dick move, but also your view when getting lunch with someone is an infinitesimally small thing to get mad about. Which of course is why it's brilliant.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's right that Richard constantly stealing the better lunch seat is a dick move, but also your view when getting lunch with someone is an infinitesimally small thing to get mad about. Which of course is why it's brilliant.

This was the part I related with the most since I *have* to face the entrance when I'm in a room and get completely annoyed when my back is to the entrance, haha. When I'm hanging with someone else that always faces the door, I always race to the better seat (which is always why I typically sit at bars and not tables). When you BOTH get it, you do end up (friendly) arguing about it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darko posted:

The doctor was a crazy person, and Larry at least had a portion of a fair point about some of his issues with him. The thing is just that even when Larry's right he behaves like a crazy person in the way that he makes a big deal about everything.

Darko posted:

This was the part I related with the most since I *have* to face the entrance when I'm in a room and get completely annoyed when my back is to the entrance, haha. When I'm hanging with someone else that always faces the door, I always race to the better seat (which is always why I typically sit at bars and not tables). When you BOTH get it, you do end up (friendly) arguing about it.

Yeah, people trying to out-alpha each other about seating arrangements is 100% a real thing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bbf2 posted:

The fact that you're having a lot of this take place at a funeral of an 18 year old kid is extremely morbid....which is OK with me, but you need to be willing to commit to the dark comedy of it all completely if you want to go there. Just having it set there and then having random unrelated wacky hijinks ensue was a little unsatisfactory. It just feels like there was a lot more they could have done with it, especially since Larry was indirectly responsible by introducing the kid to the prostitute, and then at one point expressed that he thought the kid brought it on himself by deciding to run with the bulls. Something could have been done there.

1. If you’re going to overthink Curb Your Enthusiasm like this I don’t really think the show is for you.

2. They totally did do something with the Running of the Bulls thing. Look at the end of the funeral scene when everyone is stampeding out of the funeral home, the kid’s picture is being trampled just like he was in real life. It might not be the greatest joke, but it’s there.

Curb usually has really good writing that ties everything up in a single package. That hasn’t changed this season, although Larry’s character is definitely becoming more of an rear end in a top hat in his old age.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Funkhouser's family members dying all the time is one of my favorite running gags. There was a Q&A a few years back with the cast and Einstein went on a huge rant about how Larry keeps killing his family.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hello, I hope you enjoyed your first viewing of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you haven’t figured it out, the show centers around an ignorant rear end in a top hat who cannot be bothered to understand social norms, especially as they relate to people that aren’t from a similar background to himself. The punchline is almost always that he is completely in the wrong.

Not really. Larry is right a lot of the time. It's more that he says the things most polite people think but don't say.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Not really. Larry is right a lot of the time. It's more that he says the things most polite people think but don't say.

Just because people think it doesn't mean he's actually right. This is one such example.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Just because people think it doesn't mean he's actually right. This is one such example.

Considering we're talking about societal norms, yes it actually does. It's the only thing that matters. They are thinking the same thing but Larry is the one who acts on it. Most people see a pig parker and just think "what an rear end in a top hat" but given the opportunity wouldn't stop to confront the person. Same for someone taking tons of samples at an ice cream store. Or any of the hundreds of scenarios they have demonstrated over the years. He is on the wrong side of things occasionally but he always seems quick to apologize and make amends.

It doesn't make him ignorant or have anything to do with backgrounds. He just says what he thinks and doesn't care if you like it or not.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 23, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bbf2 posted:

This episode had some strong moments, but I thought the funeral scene felt kind of broad and cartoonish for Curb. I feel like the Larry of previous seasons wouldn't be quite as blatantly callous and obnoxious as he was there.

The lady who's crying too loud is a good example- it seems like under traditional Curb logic he wouldn't have said anything in the moment, but he would have complained to Cheryl about it on the way home and probably confronted the woman about it the next time he saw her.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 24, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

This episode had some strong moments, but I thought the funeral scene felt kind of broad and cartoonish for Curb. I feel like the Larry of previous seasons wouldn't be quite as blatantly callous and obnoxious as he was there.

The lady who's crying too loud is a good example- it seems like under traditional Curb logic he wouldn't have said anything in the moment, but he would have complained to Cheryl about it on the way home and probably confronted the woman about it the next time he saw her.

To me it was reminiscent of the time he told Jeff’ and Susie’s singing daughter to shut the gently caress up when he was crashing at their house, but at least then he had the excuse that it was the first thing he heard in the morning after waking up and he wasn’t quite aware of his surroundings yet. This just seemed over the top and mean spirited, BUT I think the actress’s responses actually saved the scene for me and brought it back around to being funny.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't believe HBO thought this transphobic joke was acceptable in tyool 2017

but I guess they've always been the "edgy" comedy channel

*wanders into the CYE thread*

Hey guys what's with all these politically incorrect jokes!

bbf2 posted:

Another thing that was weird was the fact that the way the funeral was set up, it seemed like Marty was his closest relative. (he was seated in the very front, the first person called up to speak, etc). Where are his parents? There was no indication previously that his parents were out of the picture and Marty was the one raising him or anything like that. Wouldn't it be funnier and more dark comedy boundary-pushing to go all the way and have Larry's hijinks juxtaposed against parents grieving for their dead teenage son? It seemed like a half-measure to ignore the parent question entirely.

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow. The show works much better if A) Larry is being ridiculous about something and the person he's talking to is a straight man, or B) The "straight man" in question is behaving in a manner that actually resembles what people do in real life, and Larry is calling them out on the inherent silliness/hypocrisy of it. But it doesn't make any sense if the straight man does something ridiculous or has ridiculous standards that no real person would ever have.

I'm with ya man. What's with Larry David putting Larry David jokes in a Larry David show???!!!

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 24, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm enjoying this season more than I was for a lot of season 8. I don't think Larry is being that much more dickish than he has been in many points of previous seasons (one example I can think of is stealing flowers from the death site of Funchiaser's relative). Sometimes he's in the right and sometimes he's not. I think it's been like that for awhile. i also think the show has always had moments where it was contrived and people acted just a little too harshly or odd. An example of this is from the very first episode where the friend gets irrationally angry that Larry didn't acknowledge that he had a boner instead of the pants tent. In the way this show is constructed, sometimes things flow more naturally than other times but it's always had moments of both.

edit: If I have one criticism, I think the endings have been pretty weak. But I'm enjoying the season mostly.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 25, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The thing about the memorial crier that seemed a bit much for me was how loud he was about it. I feel like tapping the person and telling them to be quiet would be more of a Larry thing, as opposed to being so overtly loud about it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

bbf2 posted:

What about how everyone trampled the kid's portrait on their way out after he'd died from being trampled in the running of the bulls?

edit: dang, beaten by facebook jihad

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 25, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
First three episodes were just kind of ok, but that one was good.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I had no faith in this show coming back and being funny after so many years.

I could not have been more wrong. It seems like this season is one of the best in the whole series. I think it's funnier than the originals, even.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Mama mia

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hah--another episode I enjoyed a lot. I guess they shook off the rust after the first few episodes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This was the best episode of the season

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving amazing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That felt like a later season Seinfeld episode. A good thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Loved Katie Aselton on The League; it was nice to see her in a bit role on this show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wouldn't have thanked the guy either :shrug:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

The way the people ahead of him saying it increased the tension was great. I personally felt like repeating what they'd just said would have been awkward too, but since Larry lives in bizarro land it wasn't just weird but was also personally offensive not to join the ritual praise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I used to live on a Navy base and all the sailors and marines I knew loving hated it when people did that. They just want to shop in peace.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I appreciated that Curb set up the PTSD joke in a previous episode, when Larry asked if Sammy’s fiancé was ‘ok’ when first learning about the engagement. Always cool to see a payoff to a joke that spans multiple episodes.

I like how belligerently the Greene’s defended the guy whenever the PTSD issue came up. And goddam sending a war veteran to a battle re-enactment seems like the worst idea ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I used to live on a Navy base and all the sailors and marines I knew loving hated it when people did that. They just want to shop in peace.

Similarly, if I thanked everyone active duty or not around the town I used to live in I'd never make it off my knees.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I once said it to a dude in pendleton who was a SAW gunner in Iraq and I don't think he could have cared less for it

I was buying airsoft from him

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
my only thing with the trans joke is, it literally had nothing to do with anything and served no purpose than a one off gag. Larry already pissed off the lesbian the other episode, and he didn't even piss them off.

GobiasIndustries posted:

she knows he's cheap and a sleezeball. She doesn't need anything beyond a hot real estate agent to know what's up.

Has she ever shown that she knew what was up though? The only other time he nearly got caught was when they were talking about him loving some woman and she's like "who" and he asked larry what the name of his...dentist? I can't recall too well. That and when she lost it when she found out about the ejaculate episode but there was just him jacking it in Larry's house

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

my only thing with the trans joke is, it literally had nothing to do with anything and served no purpose than a one off gag.

That is called a joke. Welcome to a comedy show.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

the "He's like the son I never had, although my daughter is currently transitioning" joke was an actual good trans joke imo. Larry's contribution on the subject fell pretty flat and was just sort of "lol trans people, they cut they dick AND balls off??" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

bbf2 posted:

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow.

The therapist is probably trying to distance himself as much as possible from Larry based on what he already knows.

The dude was Cheryl's therapist first. Think about all the stuff she's told him about Larry, probably ranging from large scale issues to minutiae. It was dumb of Larry to go to Cheryl's therapist in the first place unless he thought Cheryl would never say anything about him, which is entirely possible tbh.

AWarmBody fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 2, 2017

• Locked thread