Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In a few years this will probably look the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
From the middle east thread:

Look out, Switzerland!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

I'm the geographical region Trøndelag renamed Trendheim.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

From the middle east thread:

Look out, Switzerland!

Good thing Americans are equally hostile to Switzerland and Iran.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why is Ronny such a DDR name

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

Why is Ronny such a DDR name

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Nope, Reagans election was the reason for a rapid decline of the names popularity in 1983, but he was probably also the reason for a short uptick in '87/'90. Nonetheless the bulk of GDR-Ronnies were born before anybody east of the Fulda could have ever heard of Reagan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe McDonald then?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was curious, the only thing I found that seems possible is a musician named Ronny had a chart-topping hit in Germany, 1965 called "kleine Annabelle".

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I don’t know why, but several English and Italian names seem to be or were more popular in the former east Germany than west.

Names like Enrico, Maik/Mike, Mandy, Cindy, Peggy...

Dooren also seems overrepresented in East Germany, but not sure if it’s a Anglo name.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Could it possibly be because Eastern Germans idolized whatever scraps of Western or Western-adjacent culture that reached them?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Falukorv posted:

I don't know why, but several English and Italian names seem to be or were more popular in the former east Germany than west.

Names like Enrico, Maik/Mike, Mandy, Cindy, Peggy...

Dooren also seems overrepresented in East Germany, but not sure if it's a Anglo name.
Giving your child a American(-sounding) name was a fashion and almost certainly a form of protest. You've covered most of those that became popular. There's also Susen, probably an alternative spelling of Susan trying to adapt the English pronunciation to German.

The Italian names like Enrico and Mario likely come from a similar sentiment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As for Italian, Italian music and movies were more accessible in the East than their counterparts from other countries, so Italian culture was also probably overrepresented in the GDR?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Guavanaut posted:

OG European racists considered Indian and Arab people (or at least their 'princely caste') to be honorary Caucasians, and East and Southeast Asians to be a different genus of people altogether.

Africans getting the worst deal is a consistent feature of all of the systems.

I like how Malay gets it's own category.

No Irish need apply of course.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
My brother lives in East Germany and according to him calling someone a "Ronny" there is sort of like calling them an idiot. He seemed very surprised and amused that I asked him about that particular name.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Squalid posted:

To some extent but that only explains a small part. Notice the Democratic strength in north Mississippi and across Arkansas, both areas far away from the chalky subsoils of the Cretaceous coast.

Legit dixiecrat remnants. Those are getting rarer and rarer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Price Check posted:

My brother lives in East Germany and according to him calling someone a "Ronny" there is sort of like calling them an idiot. He seemed very surprised and amused that I asked him about that particular name.
In Denmark, being named Ronny means you're nearly 5 times as likely to have received some form of criminal punishment in the last 5 years, despite the group otherwise being entirely average. Clearly the name is not looked upon well here either.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Weird, sounds more like a drunk uncle name to me

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

My Swedish dad's first wife's second husband is named Ronny for what that's worth. He's a cool guy I guess but they don't usually come to family events except for weddings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know there are Swedish guys named George but I have literally no idea how Swedes pronounce that because I've only ever seen them mentioned in writing.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know there are Swedish guys named George but I have literally no idea how Swedes pronounce that because I've only ever seen them mentioned in writing.
I think it's still usually pronounced like Georg (Jee-org, 'ee' meaning a long e sound, not an i) despite the English spelling.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grey Area posted:

I think it's still usually pronounced like Georg (Jee-org, 'ee' meaning a long e sound, not an i) despite the English spelling.

Well I had no idea how they pronounced Georg either so thanks :tipshat:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Grey Area posted:

Huh, I always thought Georg was pronounced "GAY-org."

Idk though. My favorite variant is still Djuradj.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seems like "Göran" is the most common variant anyway. According to this, there are 6101 "George", 19396 "Georg" and 81675 "Göran".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I would assume that Göran is an old derivation from Giorgios while Georg and George are loans from German and English, so not really the same thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Seems like "Göran" is the most common variant anyway. According to this, there are 6101 "George", 19396 "Georg" and 81675 "Göran".

Yeah but I already knew how to pronounce Göran :rolleyes: (Because it is so common you see.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gy-oohr-an.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Some names are just popular in a certain area, like Glenn in Götaland:

Or Olof in Middle Sweden:

Sometimes there is an easy explanation though. The distribution of Mikko is basically Finns.jpg:

Mohammed is more common in large cities:

And Nguyen is a common surname in Gnosjö because apparently a whole lot of Vietnamese boat refugees ended up there during the war.

There are more maps here.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 2, 2017

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

And Nguyen is a common surname in Gnosjö because apparently a whole lot of Vietnamese boat refugees ended up there during the war.

So you're saying Gnosjö is a good place to get Phö ?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can all maps of Sweden be colored in a way that doesn't suggest VD? Nice shades of anything that suggests country and not diseased dong.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Nguyen is also the most common surname in Närpes in Swedish-speaking Western Finland, because a whole bunch of Vietnamese people work at the tomato farms there.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ras Het posted:

Nguyen is also the most common surname in Närpes in Swedish-speaking Western Finland, because a whole bunch of Vietnamese people work at the tomato farms there.

they grow tomatoes in finland? each day we stray further from sun's light

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

they grow tomatoes in finland? each day we stray further from sun's light

Well greenhouses innit

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Sounds like Ronny in Germany/Denmark has the same status as Kevin in France then?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170119/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin-how-a-hollywood-naming-craze-swept-france

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

So you're saying Gnosjö is a good place to get Phö ?
There is no place to get good exotic food in Sweden.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sweek0 posted:

Sounds like Ronny in Germany/Denmark has the same status as Kevin in France then?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170119/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin-how-a-hollywood-naming-craze-swept-france

We have names like that in Flanders as well - Cindy, Kelly, Johnny and yes, Kevin. It seems that it was (is?) mostly the lower socioeconomic classes cribbing Anglo names from pop culture, which is interesting. Also, Marina is considered one of the most low-class female names for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

We have names like that in Flanders as well - Cindy, Kelly, Johnny and yes, Kevin. It seems that it was (is?) mostly the lower socioeconomic classes cribbing Anglo names from pop culture, which is interesting. Also, Marina is considered one of the most low-class female names for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.
Kevin to my mind has a similar connotation of lower socioeconomic class here in Denmark as well. Clearly not a great name to get saddled with in continental Europe.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Some names are just popular in a certain area, like Glenn in Götaland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiyUBITjSg&t=14s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sweek0 posted:

In France, people with English names is usually a social marker that their parents are from a catégorie socio-culturelle défavorisée, the PC way of saying they're white trash. All the Cindy, Steven, Jennifer, Kevin, and so on can be safely assumed for being from a house where there are no books, where the TV is turned on 24/7 even when nobody watches it. The parents named them after some character in a soap opera, because that's the only thing they know.